Bridge. by Izzeban
[Reviews - 7]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Code: Lyoko or any of its characters, properties, or any related matter. This work of fanfiction is purely for the intent of fun and is not intended to infringe on the owners in any way. No profit of any form is being made by this work of fanfiction.


I sit here at my desk chair contemplating everything presented to me so far. Had I really gotten this far? Endless streams of blue-green code engulfed my being.

/-ROUTE to SERVER var. A verifying CONTENTS of TRANSFER
(-var. A CONTENTS of undetermined extension. Run unknown extension BRIDGE.lyo?
YES_NO_
(-Running BRIDGE.lyo
/-ASSIGN BRIDGE.lyo to var. B
/-RETURN var. B to SERVER
(-ERROR. var. B in use.


"Argh," I grumbled. Carelessness, and maybe one too many caffeinated drinks.


/-STOP var. B
/-DELETE var. B
(-ERROR. var. B critical to registry. DELETE overridden.


"Screw this..." I sighed. This was more complicated that I thought. I am well-versed in code such as Python and C, but never before was there something like this for me to decode. I was seeking a challenge in my otherwise dull free time, so I decided to hack into some data and see if I could successfully modify data that I had never seen before. The challenge remains one step ahead of me, I'm afraid...

/-TERMINATE INTERFACE


~~~


"Get to the scanners, ASAP!" yelled young Jeremie Belpois into his mobile phone. It was another typical day at Kadic Academy for him, as the evil supercomputer XANA had activated another tower, which enabled an attack on Earth. Only Jeremie and his friends knew how to effectively halt these attacks on humanity, and so they did.

"I'll be there in a flash, Einstein," Odd Della Robbia, a fellow fighter against XANA, replied. "I'll get in contact with Yumi and Ulrich."

"You'd better," replied Jeremie. "This one looks like it'll cause trouble..."

A few minutes later, Odd burst through the elevator door into Jeremie's control room to catch up on the problem.

"Yumi and Ulrich didn't answer their phones," Odd declared. "What's the situation?"

"Well," Jeremie started, "XANA's activated a tower, as usual. Get down to the scanners; I called for Aelita to come, so she should be here any moment. She'll meet you at the scanners."

Odd hurried back to the elevator and descended into the scanner room while Jeremie stared concerned at the screen. A red exclamation mark enclosed in a circle was present, representing an error. Jeremie called up the error message, which stated in the interface's natural code:

(-ERROR. Invalid entry at REGBASE. Corrupt file BRIDGE.lyo. Failed TRANSFER.

"Wha...?" Jeremie muttered. he had nothing to do with this BRIDGE.lyo file; all he knew was that it was taking the place of a very important registry entry.

/-DELETE BRIDGE.lyo
(-ERROR. BRIDGE.lyo critical to registry. DELETE overridden.
/-RUN BRIDGE.lyo


At that point, a window popped up onto Jeremie's monitor. It was a crude DOS-based interface window that stated in the middle:

BRIDGE ver. 0.6 by Jack Fawzi
Press "R" to begin.


Jeremie reluctantly pressed the "R" key on his keyboard to activate the program. At that moment, Aelita called up Jeremie to tell him that she and Odd were ready for virtualization into the digital world, Lyoko, where they could disarm XANA's tower. Out of curiosity, he ignored Aelita and continued with the Bridge program.

A great list of values were represented on the window. At the left side there was a button that said BRIDGE on it. Jeremie instinctively selected two values and clicked BRIDGE. Suddenly, the error icon disappeared and everything was running smoothly, until Jeremie realized that his other registry file was still missing. He couldn't virtualize Odd and Aelita without it. Jeremie sighed and started to toy with the operating system.

~~~


I have no way of knowing if my Bridge program works. If it does, then I will have succeeded. So far all that I know is that it attaches itself to the registry database once activated. This could be a good or bad thing. I just hope that I'm not meddling with some government security supercomputer or some wacky scenario like that. Only time will tell...

~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]