Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 am

LyokoBoot 2013.2 - Missing Link

For discussion of new and pending features for the website.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

LyokoBoot 2013.2 - Missing Link

Postby TheAppleFreak » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:11 pm

As you may or may not know, Lyoko Freak received a large graphical overhaul back in April, with Lyoko Freak main being rewritten and Lyoko Freak forums getting a companion theme, LyokoBoot. It was my first serious foray into web design, and looking back at it, I realize that there were a number of issues with my execution of the forum theme (the main site works a bit better). It works, but it doesn't feel quite right. I don't like sitting still about this, though, so I'm working on a rewrite of the theme.

LyokoBoot 2013.2, as I'm calling it, will be a large rewrite of all of the logic that handles how Lyoko Freak looks and feels. I'm taking in feedback from the community, as well as my own personal gripes, and fixing them. Right now, I'm primarily focusing on the forums, and I might not get to the main site or the wiki immediately.

I'm going to post screenshots of my progress every week, with status updates. Alternatively, if you want to critique my code, I have a public GitHub repository up. Feel free to critique my progress, my failings, my everything.

~Apple
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Re: LyokoBoot 2013.2 - Missing Link

Postby LyokoMan95 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:16 am

Few questions...
1. What was the code for the avatar function?
2. What font was used for the logo?
LyokoMan95 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:39 am

LyokoMan95 wrote:Few questions...
1. What was the code for the avatar function?
2. What font was used for the logo?

Few responses....
1) From includes/functions.php, around line 4625:
Code: Select all
'S_USER_AVATAR'         => $phpbb_root_path . "download/file.$phpEx?avatar=" . $user->data['user_avatar'],

It's actually a combination of the postrow avatar function and a database query for the filename of the current user's avatar. It spits out a full URL, which means I can use it in a number of different contexts. Once you toss it through some styling, it's pretty flexible.

2) The font used is Lato. It doesn't work on LyokoBoot right now, but visit the main site and it should work there.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby LyokoMan95 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:14 am

My quickly hacked up edit with fancy new fonts:
I replaced the logo image with pure FF Cocon Web Pro and the essentially all other text is in Museo Sans (both found at typekit.com)
LyokoMan95 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby lyokotech » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:31 am

I really like the new theme. However, one issue with the top bar. I think it would be really nice to have a link that takes the user straight to the index, I've just found it a little annoying to click "forum" first.

lyokotech offline
New Kid
New Kid