Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:07 am

MAJOR NEWS: Site downtime and other happenings

Forum and website news. This forum can contain important information that concerns you, so make sure you read our updates.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

MAJOR NEWS: Site downtime and other happenings

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Hey Lyoko Freakers

I meant to post this earlier, but I didn't have the chance due to an internet outage. This is some very important news that will affect the site going forward, as of tomorrow. First and foremost:

Lyoko Freak will be shutting down tomorrow to protest CISPA
What is CISPA?
The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act is a bill currently being steamrolled through the US Congress that aims to give the government and a number of technology corporations the power to observe Internet traffic to attempt to identify cyberterror attacks. While this sounds innocent on the surface, the bill is poorly written and allows the government to ask for personally identifiable information from any party that delivers content to you over the internet. It's a massive privacy issue, and if there isn't an organized opposition to the bill like there was for the 2012 Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), this might pass through and become law. You can read more about it here.

As such, all Lyoko Freak services will all be unreachable from tonight at midnight (12 AM EST) to tomorrow at midnight (12 AM EST). This is one part of a larger protest, one that might include the entirety of Reddit (if not that, definitely /r/CodeLyoko).

All services will return online on April 23rd, leading to the next piece of news:

Lyoko Freak is celebrating its eighth birthday!
Yes, it's true! Lyoko Freak will be experiencing its eighth birthday on April 22nd, 2013, but due to the planned outage, we won't celebrate until the 23rd! It's going to be a big day, and to finish off the birthday celebration, on Tuesday at 10 PM EST, I will be hosting a special birthday livestream for our community. Eight years... I still find it hard to believe. All of you guys rock except the spambots, and Lyoko Freak wouldn't have been nearly as successful without you guys being part of our community.

The livestream will be hosted on the Code Lyoko Companion livestream channel, posted below.
clveterans on livestream.com. Broadcast Live Free

If you're not already part of it, please either like our Facebook page or join our backup group for more news and information.

~TAF
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site