Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:18 am

Who misses the old Pokemon?

Anything goes here, so long as it's clean and follows standard forum rules.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Who misses the old Pokemon?

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:22 am

Being an elementary school kid in the late 90's, Pokemon was the big thing, and every kid I knew couldn't get enough of it. Most kids wound up growing out of it. I never really did. I continued watching it until they started adding a bajillion new Pokemon that just seemed to get progressively more stupid as time went on. I mean, what was wrong with the original 151? I miss the time when it was actually possible to catch 'em all. I miss Misty. I miss not having May and that other annoying kid on the show. I miss playing Pokemon Red (or Blue or Yellow, but then again there's not much difference) on my GBC with that glorious 8-bit Pallet Town music playing. And I miss being a kid in the late 90's. Does anyone else feel the same? This isn't a rant (which is why I'm posting it here), I just wish Pokemon was still like it was back in the good old days. Pokemon was an important part of my childhood, and it seems to have kind of gone downhill over the years. Although Pokemon White (or Black, again not much difference) was great, the Pokemon of my youth is long gone.

This picture sums up my feelings perfectly:

Hey Rambo, throw me a shotgun!

Vodka's Vengeance offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Taelia » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:43 am

Pokemon was the Code Lyoko of the 1990s. Even I couldn't stop watching. But it got annoying and repetitive, unlike CL, VERY quickly.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheTsunamix » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:14 am

This pretty much sums up my feelings right there. Even though I didn't get into it until the early 2000s, it was still a defining part of my childhood (even more so than CL). Even before I first saw the show, I liked to watch my cousins play Pokemon Blue and listen to the wondrous Pallet Town music (which I still listen to every so often). As for the show, I saw it when its first season was in syndication on CN and I continued watching it for a few more years. But then Advanced Generation came out and I officially lost all interest. I guess the part I liked the best was listening to the songs at the end of each episode, some were cheesy, but also really catchy. I don't know if they've still been doing it in the later series. But if they haven't, well, it's just another good reason why I won't continue to watch it.
TheTsunamix offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:28 am

TheTsunamix wrote: I guess the part I liked the best was listening to the songs at the end of each episode, some were cheesy, but also really catchy. I don't know if they've still been doing it in the later series. But if they haven't, well, it's just another good reason why I won't continue to watch it.

I know! I'll never forget the Poke Rap, where they basically just recited the name of all (at the time) 151 Pokemon. It would be hilarious to try and see them do that today, now that there's over 600 of them.

Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Tekirai » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:36 am

I'm still a big Pokemon fan (in fact my main fandom hub was LF until I started going to the IRC chats on Serebii, which is where I spend most of my days now) though only really for the games and the fanwork, nothing else. With Black/White out the games are pretty much at their peak what with the animated sprites and general format, and I've enjoyed them quite a lot so far.

There are loads more Pokemon now but I guess I don't care about that because I like series with millions of characters. More Pokemon means there are many more that I like, since there honestly aren't many favourites in 1st gen. If Pokemon didn't expand as it did I don't think I would have liked it anymore. As new games were released we got branches like the Mystery Dungeon series, which actually did a good job of giving Pokemon some good storylines and making you attached to the characters - something the main series and the anime didn't really have. Though many people also don't like those games, but I did. 8\)

The anime did pretty much get worse until partway through the DPPt series (supposedly), but the Black/White series actually isn't too bad if anyone feels like giving it a try. I have some unexplained attraction to Cilan so even though I don't watch it I still claim I love this guy to pieces. 8|;

I think Pokemon had to change, otherwise we'd be stuck with the same games today with the same Pokemon and nobody would care about it anymore. I think that would be a much sadder way for things to go. There's no real way to treat something while making everyone happy. 8(
Tekirai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:48 am

I see what you mean. I didn't have a problem with adding more Pokemon; it's just that they added way too many. I mean, when Pokemon Gold and Silver came out, I liked most of the new Pokemon they included. It helped keep the franchise from getting stale, and they were cool. At that time, there were, I think, about 251 Pokemon. I didn't like them as much as the orginal 151, but hey, it was still pretty cool. Once Ruby and Sapphire came around, that was when I started to think it was getting a bit ridiculous, because there were close to 400, then once Diamond and Pearl were released there were almost 500, and now with Black and White, there's 649. Jeez, you think that's enough already?

Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Tangent128 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:02 am

649 is hardly enough. Pokémon are apparently the animals of the Pokémon world; there are over a million species of animals in the real world, and that's only counting the ones we've got names for! :nyeh!:

Besides, I find mons I love in every version! Yeah, Lapras and Charmander are cool. But then, Wooper and Cyndaquil are pretty cute too. The third generation brought Tropius, my all-time favorite. Fourth gen has the electric lions, but okay, maybe nothing I outright loved... But then the fifth generation comes along and we get fun guys like Sandile and Vanillite.

If you want some fun, try reading through these entries: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... nonEdition
(Yeah, I'm a part of that project, I admit. ^_^; )
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:19 am

Tangent128 wrote:649 is hardly enough. Pokémon are apparently the animals of the Pokémon world; there are over a million species of animals in the real world, and that's only counting the ones we've got names for! :nyeh!:

Besides, I find mons I love in every version! Yeah, Lapras and Charmander are cool. But then, Wooper and Cyndaquil are pretty cute too. The third generation brought Tropius, my all-time favorite. Fourth gen has the electric lions, but okay, maybe nothing I outright loved... But then the fifth generation comes along and we get fun guys like Sandile and Vanillite.

If you want some fun, try reading through these entries: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... nonEdition

Hey, thanks! That is pretty cool!

And I'm not saying I don't like all the newer ones. There's still awesome ones, like Zekrom and Reshiram, which is actually my second favorite next to Gyarados. And some that aren't so awesome, like uh....

This.

Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:29 am

Tangent128 wrote:649 is hardly enough. Pokémon are apparently the animals of the Pokémon world; there are over a million species of animals in the real world, and that's only counting the ones we've got names for! :nyeh!:

Holy crap that's awesome. *saves on troper page*

Personally, I like Pokémon, but the series is beginning to grow old for me. Sure, I'll buy the new game on launch day, and sure I'll complete the entire game, but I've fallen out of competitive battling and I don't find much else to do in the game other than that. Not to mention some of the new designs are boring. The trash-bag Pokémon? Pass.

The music is always good, though <s>unless it's from R/S/E</s>
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby Taelia » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:34 am

TB3 did a rant on Pokemon a while ago.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:46 am

Taelia wrote:TB3 did a rant on Pokemon a while ago.

This isn't a rant. It's just me making observations. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted it in here.

Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Taelia » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:23 am

Oh, mt mistake. Pardon me.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby DarkestSoul X21 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:08 pm

I only like Pokemon through games now. I used to like the old pokemon tv show but arg make it stop.
Joined in 2005, left 2008, came back July 2011

Used to been XANAcomputer/lyokolover.
DarkestSoul X21 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheLQ » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:14 pm

Pokemon for me was a purely Elementary School thing. My Elementary school even specifically banned pokemon cards when they started getting out of hand. In Middle school I quickly lost interest.

For nostalgia though, I really want to get my Gameboy color working so I can play one of the old pokemon games I have.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby ccbtimewiz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:21 am

I was a fan of Pokemon since Red & Blue, and played each generation up to Black & White.

All of the generations felt fresh, nothing really felt repetitive a at all, because each generation introduces a lot of new Pokemon, new concepts and features, and more importantly an entire new region to explore. Those with arguments that it's getting stale have no base.

Also, to those saying the ideas of the new Pokemon or newer Pokemon are boring or uncreative... well at least it's better than some of Gen I. Gen I got away with lots of things, like Diglett and Magnemite and other simple things a preschooler could draw. :P
ccbtimewiz offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:31 pm

TheLQ wrote:My Elementary school even specifically banned pokemon cards when they started getting out of hand.

Mine too. I remember my principal had an entire briefcase full of cards they confiscated from kids. Me and my friends plotted many times to steal it from his office. We never tried though.

ccbtimewiz wrote:Also, to those saying the ideas of the new Pokemon or newer Pokemon are boring or uncreative... well at least it's better than some of Gen I. Gen I got away with lots of things, like Diglett and Magnemite and other simple things a preschooler could draw. :P

I'm not saying all of them were great, although I think none of them were actually bad. At least there weren't any trash bag Pokemon back then. And hey, Magnemite was a floating cycloptic metal ball thing with horseshoe magnets attached to the side. Neat!

Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant