Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:08 am

Carthy's Next Attempt - Something Webcomic Related

Anything goes here, so long as it's clean and follows standard forum rules.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Carthy's Next Attempt - Something Webcomic Related

Postby Carth » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:19 am

So anyone that knows me will know that I am exceptionally bad at focusing on anything. I remember reading that it takes 21 days to make or break a habit, but so far I've kept this one for almost five days, and for me that's pretty sexy impressive. I've told a few of you about this, but now that there's actually something to read there I figure it's time to share.

To make a long story short, I've started a blog full of webcomic commentaries, where I go through archives and react to them Agony Booth-style (though they aren't necessarily either good or bad). I do have a few up for Cyanide and Happiness and Dinosaur Comics (so I must warn you some are full of not nice language, though NSFW labels will be up for REALLY awful stuff it it comes), which you can read. I'm working on one for Gunnerkrigg Court which will be up on Monday.

Um...enjoy? ENJOY.

http://somethingwebcomicrelated.blogspot.com/
Carth offline

Postby JesusFreak » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:38 pm

And here I am with the only webcomic I read being Order of the Stick. Blast. :|

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby Carth » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:53 pm

._. wrote:And here I am with the only webcomic I read being Order of the Stick. Blast. :|

THEN LEARN YOU SOME NEW ONES.

Though I am going to be doing that one eventually...
Carth offline

Postby JesusFreak » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:13 pm

Carth wrote:
._. wrote:And here I am with the only webcomic I read being Order of the Stick. Blast. :|

THEN LEARN YOU SOME NEW ONES.

Though I am going to be doing that one eventually...

BUT I HATE NEW THINGS. D:

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby green » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:18 pm

might I direct you toward hark a vagrant?
green offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby knifey » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:03 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "what's your favorite webcomic" thread somewhere on this forum.

I'm not gonna bother lookin' fer it.
:hatguy: pew pew lazorz
psn profile
knifey offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Tangent128 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:23 pm

Gunnerkrigg! (Gotten very interesting of late, though I guess you're not going to reach the current arc anytime soon...)

CharCole is on your list, right? ;)
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Carth » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:14 pm

Tangent128 wrote:Gunnerkrigg! (Gotten very interesting of late, though I guess you're not going to reach the current arc anytime soon...)

CharCole is on your list, right? ;)

Yep! I've added pretty much everything even tangentially suggested, or at least bumped it up on the list...I'm about 70 strips into Gunnerkrigg so far, and it's a long'un.
Carth offline

Postby PhortyTwo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:07 pm

Interesting, truly. I look forward to reading more entries.
PhortyTwo offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Carth » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:47 am

Gunnerkrigg Court's first commentary is up! Wednesday and Friday will be continuations of Dinosaur Comics and Cyanide and Happiness, respectively.
Carth offline

Postby Jazzy Josh » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:31 am

Might I suggest Nedroid?

Edit: Silly LiC, Syntax is for XML parsers

Edit 2: Must learn to close tags.
Last edited by Jazzy Josh on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

@Jazzy Josh on Twitter.
Jazzy Josh offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby green » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:29 pm

I'm also going to point KiwiBlitz and Lackadaisy which actually have continuity to them

...aaaand that's all the webcomics that I read
green offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Lani » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:03 pm

I suggest Hark! A Vagrant. It is mostly history-related, but it is funny.
we will advance with sword in hand
for our cause is pure
Lani offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Carth » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:11 am

I've added all the requests to my giant list of requested things. It's very long, but I'll do my best!

The first Penny Arcade one is up, if anyone's interested in that. Gunnerkrigg will be continued on Wednesday.
Carth offline

Postby TheAppleFreak » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:42 am

Ooh, I have one more:
Metroid: Third Derivative

You might not understand some of the humor, since you're not a Metroid fan (for example, somewhere in there Samus makes a quip about it being impossible for planets to blow up without reason. In Metroid Prime 2, Metroid Prime 3, Super Metroid, Metroid Other M, and Metroid Fusion twice, the place that she's on explodes in a violent fashion at the end of the game for no apparent reason save for Fusion and Other M; Fusion you have a space station crashing into SR388 which blows both of them up and Other M has the Galactic Federation blowing the Bottle Ship up), but for a sprite comic, it's pretty well done.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby JesusFreak » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:26 pm

TheLordOfAppleFreaks wrote:Ooh, I have one more:
Metroid: Third Derivative

You might not understand some of the humor, since you're not a Metroid fan (for example, somewhere in there Samus makes a quip about it being impossible for planets to blow up without reason. In Metroid Prime 2, Metroid Prime 3, Super Metroid, Metroid Other M, and Metroid Fusion twice, the place that she's on explodes in a violent fashion at the end of the game for no apparent reason save for Fusion and Other M; Fusion you have a space station crashing into SR388 which blows both of them up and Other M has the Galactic Federation blowing the Bottle Ship up), but for a sprite comic, it's pretty well done.

Dude! I loved that comic when it was still updating!

From that site, Karnak the [cannot remember full title] was pretty funny too.

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Tangent128 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:08 am

...there was another comic on that site, too... some sort of Megaman thing. I think there was maybe a guy named George? :nyeh!:
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Carth » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Tangent128 wrote:...there was another comic on that site, too... some sort of Megaman thing. I think there was maybe a guy named George? :nyeh!:

And perhaps a fellow named Bob? :D

I started reading that, but as I was only eleven at the time, I was frustrated with the endless series of sprite freaks.

Alsew, due to a posting fluke, the next Gunnerkrigg commentary is actually up today: http://somethingwebcomicrelated.blogspo ... en-it.html
Carth offline

Postby Carth » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:56 am

I don't know if anyone still reads these, but I now have gone full circle. If Xkcd and more Gunnerkrigg Court interest people, they are right here:

http://somethingwebcomicrelated.blogspo ... atdis.html

http://somethingwebcomicrelated.blogspo ... en-it.html
Carth offline

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:39 pm

.w. I hadn't found this up until now~ Hope you're making a habit of comics and analysis!

If you're taking suggestions, I'd suggest Girl Genius (Even if it is weirds, it's fun), Evil Diva (It's so cute!) The Meek (Recently suggested by Scott McCloud, I suggest some of his stuff for a real understanding of comic mechanics) .... uuuuhm... Red-String turns Shojou on its head, even though the art is kind of lacking (And the original radioplay has our own G-Force in it!) Phoenix Requiem is just beautiful. Boxer Hockey is pretty good, but short so far. Dreamland Chronicles is... ugh. The story is about as bland and simple as can be, but it's 3d, the graphics are kind of nice, and they're working on a movie. Dream*Scar, Everblue, Manly guys doing Manly things, Romantically Apocalyptic (Not very big so far, but the art is stunning), Strays and Fey winds are allright, but Fey winds is more of a parody of itself, if that makes sense.

... *pant* Hard part about going for sequential art - you gotta stay on top of everrrything.

Anyways, hope that pads out your list a bit!

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby Tangent128 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:08 pm

Sorry, Carth- this week is crazy. I'll need to archive your archive binges next week or so. :nyeh!:
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Carth » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:28 am

AngelBolt wrote:.w. I hadn't found this up until now~ Hope you're making a habit of comics and analysis!

Holycrap that IS a lot of comics. I'm amazed at the number people have requested...I'm working them in with the ones I had a list of in the first place. C:

Questionable Content's going to start on Monday if that interests anyone! <3
Carth offline