Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:02 am

Yes it's a sin against God, and your going to go to hell!

Anything goes here, so long as it's clean and follows standard forum rules.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Yes it's a sin against God, and your going to go to hell!

Postby . » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:43 pm

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2010/09/20/genetically-modified-salmon/?hpt=C1

Yeah so, this company wants to sell DNA altered fish as food. The said modification makes them grow to full size in half the time.

I take a lot of progressive sides on things, and I admit this is really cool, but no way in hell would I ever want to eat this thing. I just feel like it's wrong, and mildly disturbing.

Thoughts?
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheLQ » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:51 pm

I guess it depends what point of view your coming from. If I assume by the title, then no, Christians don't like genetically altered stuff because it messes with what god did. If your coming from a medial background, maybe your worried about some strange side effect that was buried in the warnings that has a really high probability of affecting you. If your everybody else, you don't care.

Me, meh. If its good then sure, I'll eat it. I just don't want this stuff in the wild since we should keep nature how it is, just isolate it somewhere. Easy enough
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby SilverPrince » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:37 pm

I think there are upsides to genetically modified food. For example, bigger fish could feed more people. If the price goes low enough on those things, we could put a dent in hunger in places where people are too hungry to care about the DNA of what they're eating.

I don't really have a problem with the concept. The fact that it's been altered doesn't bother me. Yeah, it's genetic code has been altered. It's not like it's an acid-spitting mutant. It's just a fish that happens to be incredibly large.

Stonecreek wrote:I miss the boob bots. At least they were peddling something I have interest in...
SilverPrince offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Tangent128 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:58 pm

Just be careful with those things.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby . » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:02 pm

SilverPrince wrote:I think there are upsides to genetically modified food. For example, bigger fish could feed more people. If the price goes low enough on those things, we could put a dent in hunger in places where people are too hungry to care about the DNA of what they're eating.

I don't really have a problem with the concept. The fact that it's been altered doesn't bother me. Yeah, it's genetic code has been altered. It's not like it's an acid-spitting mutant. It's just a fish that happens to be incredibly large.

Not yet...
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheLQ » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:10 pm

D.T. Evolution wrote:I think there are upsides to genetically modified food. For example, bigger fish could feed more people. If the price goes low enough on those things, we could put a dent in hunger in places where people are too hungry to care about the DNA of what they're eating.

TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby knifey » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:47 am

I thought grocery stores already has food with genetically modified organisms in it.

I remember I was watching a video in science class about this guy who took a bag a Doritos and other foods home to test for GMOs, and found out that some of them had GMOs in it.

I recall that if someone wants to purchase food that doesn't have any GMOs in it, they'd have to buy food at the organic section of the grocery store.

Other than that, I don't see any disasters or creatures running wild with dangerous abilities thanks to altered DNA. Although I do know that the career is risky business since one woman's office was burned down solely because she was studying how to genetically engineer plants, or something of the like.

Although I know that someone's gonna riot if there's ever news of a GMO running loose. I think there might already be some.
:hatguy: pew pew lazorz
psn profile
knifey offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Lani » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:31 am

knifey wrote:I thought grocery stores already has food with genetically modified organisms in it.

I remember I was watching a video in science class about this guy who took a bag a Doritos and other foods home to test for GMOs, and found out that some of them had GMOs in it.

I recall that if someone wants to purchase food that doesn't have any GMOs in it, they'd have to buy food at the organic section of the grocery store.

Other than that, I don't see any disasters or creatures running wild with dangerous abilities thanks to altered DNA. Although I do know that the career is risky business since one woman's office was burned down solely because she was studying how to genetically engineer plants, or something of the like.

Although I know that someone's gonna riot if there's ever news of a GMO running loose. I think there might already be some.

Right now maybe no, but when it does happen, someone had better invent that Pokeball quick...

Anyway, to me right now that sounds a bit sketchy, because I'd probably be skeptical of what they'd put in that stuff, but I guess in the end if you put it in front of me when I'm hungry I'll just eat it lol.
we will advance with sword in hand
for our cause is pure
Lani offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby JesusFreak » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:08 am

It's just a fish that grows up quicker...It's been tested right?

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby SilverPrince » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:25 am

._. wrote:It's just a fish that grows up quicker...It's been tested right?
Well, the FDA is putting it through the paces now. I'm sure if there were any glaring issues, they wouldn't approve it for human consumption.

...right?

Stonecreek wrote:I miss the boob bots. At least they were peddling something I have interest in...
SilverPrince offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby PhortyTwo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:30 am

Basically, all this is, is a selling point. They puffed the fish up, sure. I'd still much rather eat the regular sized fish because of the diet differences in wild fish, which affects taste dramatically.

This is aided by the fact that I have a large river near my house :D
PhortyTwo offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Tangent128 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:06 pm

I'm not really a fan of seafood (except seaweed, that's cool), so that's not really an issue for me.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby . » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:15 pm

SilverPrince wrote:
._. wrote:It's just a fish that grows up quicker...It's been tested right?
Well, the FDA is putting it through the paces now. I'm sure if there were any glaring issues, they wouldn't approve it for human consumption.

...right?

Just like with Cell Phones, we really don't know the long term consequences of this.

The title of this topic was just tongue and cheek, but I am sketchy whenever we play God. Sure we can do great things, but if this science fell into the wrong hands we'll have monsters.
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby jym1 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:15 am

as long as the fish don't get out of the hatcheries, it could actually help the environment.
Right now, off the coast of South America huge fisheries deplete local water resources, and pollute the water with fish poo. Being able to get the whole thing done quicker might be beneficial.

I'm not for it per say, but it doesn't sound so bad either
jym1 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby JesusFreak » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:29 am

jym1 wrote:as long as the fish don't get out of the hatcheries, it could actually help the environment.
Right now, off the coast of South America huge fisheries deplete local water resources, and pollute the water with fish poo. Being able to get the whole thing done quicker might be beneficial.

Did you know the creator of the gatling gun thought that if he created a device to kill more soldiers more quickly, then less soldiers would be sent into wars, reducing casualties?

How did that work out?

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby . » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:10 pm

jym1 wrote:as long as the fish don't get out of the hatcheries, it could actually help the environment.

African Killer Bees, Red Ants.... both insects escaped their controlled scientific labs.

I admit, there's a lot of good to be done here, but one really has to be careful.
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby PhortyTwo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:21 pm

D.T. Evolution wrote:
African Killer Bees, Red Ants.... both insects escaped their controlled scientific labs.

I admit, there's a lot of good to be done here, but one really has to be careful.

He raises a good point. Although that's not a very big possibility, being that tanks are actually pretty solid against fish.
PhortyTwo offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:46 pm

So, the main argument that local newscaster are reporting down here is that there's a farm that uses a plant that's resistant to weed killer. But pollen manages to escape the facilities whenever the wind blows, and it's choking the local flora.

So, we shouldn't use genetically-engineered salmon because they'll blow away in the wind. :umm:

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby . » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:47 am

AngelBolt wrote:So, the main argument that local newscaster are reporting down here is that there's a farm that uses a plant that's resistant to weed killer. But pollen manages to escape the facilities whenever the wind blows, and it's choking the local flora.

So, we shouldn't use genetically-engineered salmon because they'll blow away in the wind. :umm:

It's extremely unlikely but what if one of these fish mate with the natural fish? Yes I know they're sterile but they can't guarantee it.

The whole thing makes me feel uneasy. When we start playing God, God starts playing God with us, and He's a whole lot better at it.
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby JesusFreak » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:13 am

D.T. Evolution wrote:
AngelBolt wrote:So, the main argument that local newscaster are reporting down here is that there's a farm that uses a plant that's resistant to weed killer. But pollen manages to escape the facilities whenever the wind blows, and it's choking the local flora.

It's extremely unlikely but what if one of these fish mate with the natural fish? Yes I know they're sterile but they can't guarantee it.

The whole thing makes me feel uneasy. When we start playing God, God starts playing God with us, and He's a whole lot better at it.

Yeah, well if they keep the fish in the tanks when they're not being made into food I don't see the problem.

[size=0]Oh, there it is[/size]

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby . » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:25 pm

._. wrote:
D.T. Evolution wrote:

Yeah, well if they keep the fish in the tanks when they're not being made into food I don't see the problem.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x87han_28-days-later-infected-apes_shortfilms
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:38 pm

No, the point is that people don't know about the actual science of it. They think they do, but it leads to rather stupid arguments.

And as for the fish being sterile... It's not something that's really left to chance in a situation like this, it's that they are unable to reproduce. no amount of miracles is going to allow it to have offspring.

It's why you call a Mule's offspring a miracle. it cannot happen.

But if they were sterile... how do they get more fish?

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby xiaozanghou » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:38 pm

I hate salmon, but if these genes can be applied to orange roughy and mahi-mahi then I'll never eat a natural fish again.
╭☆★☆
http://cl-evolved.com/
╰★☆★
xiaozanghou offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Location: they asked me where i planned to go then i pointed at the stars and said i haven't really chose

Postby Mewberries151 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:26 am

AngelBolt wrote:And as for the fish being sterile... It's not something that's really left to chance in a situation like this, it's that they are unable to reproduce. no amount of miracles is going to allow it to have offspring.

It's why you call a Mule's offspring a miracle. it cannot happen.

But if they were sterile... how do they get more fish?

Idk, I think that's my issue with these fish. We're not talking seedless watermelons (in which they impregnate a regular watermelon plant with genes to grow seedless fruit through pollination). And obviously a seedless watermelon can't create an "exotic species" issue because...yeah, no seeds.

But these are fish. How are they engineering them to be sterile? Are they completely removing the gene for the development of reproductive organs? Or are they modifying them so that they still have the organs, but they're supposedly "unusable"?

If a mule and a tigon can have babies once in a blue moon (when they're supposedly "sterile"), then they better be taking great care that these fish don't get out, and can't invade the surrounding rivers. Because that will be a problem, nevermind what one's thoughts are on actually eating genetically modified animals.

...Speaking of eating genetically modified animals...I've kinda had a distaste for that whole area ever since learning about BGH (Bovine Growth Hormone) in Environmental Science. 8\
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JesusFreak » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:21 pm

S.A.I. wrote:
._. wrote:
D.T. Evolution wrote:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x87han_28-days-later-infected-apes_shortfilms

I don't have a dailymotion account, soliek I can't watch it.

Summary plox?

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Next