Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:12 am

Regarding the Mosque

Anything goes here, so long as it's clean and follows standard forum rules.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Regarding the Mosque

Postby Rho » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:51 am

This was in the 9/11 thread and it made me rage so hard that I decided since it was requested to not discuss it further in that thread that I might as well make a whole topic for it.

And the sickest thing is that there is gonna be a MOSQUE built two blocks away from Ground Zero!!

How in the HELL is that "sick"? Do explain to me how in the world it can be fair for Muslims to not be allowed to build something like that there. Why? Because many terrorists are Muslim? Newsflash, dear. MUSLIMS =/= TERRORISTS.

Taelia, I advise you to look into finding an episode of The Simpsons titled "Mypods and Broomsticks". Muslims are not terrible people. TERRORISTS are. Terrorism is not strictly a Muslim thing. Christians can be terrorists. Atheists can be terrorists. Jews can be terrorists.

The simple fact that you describe the building of a mosque there as "sickening" just about sums everything bad about you in a nutshell, Taelia. Let me guess - you'd have NO problem with it if it was a Church, right?

This is the United States of America. Freedom of religion is a big thing here. If you are against that, if you hate Obama so much that you claimed you'd commit suicide if he was elected, MOVE. Find a country that suits your needs.

Denying Muslims their right to have a religious center is violating the freedom this country is based around. I've met some Muslims before. They were calm, kind people.

I couldn't watch more than a few seconds of that video you triple-posted for god knows what reason because I couldn't stand more than that much time listening to that ignorant redneck.

I am genuinely curious, Taelia. Why do you feel Muslims should have their rights stripped from them because there are terrorists with the same religion? What if the terrorists that crashed the planes into the WTC were Christian? Would all Christians be terrorists? NO.

You should not hate Muslims because of 9/11. They are not responsible for the catastrophic event that occurred. AL-QAEDA IS.

If Muslims want a mosque near Ground Zero, LET THEM. THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO BUILD ONE.

Why did I feel the need to make a whole topic to reply to you? The post of yours I quoted was just so ignorant, stupid, and hateful that it put me in a position where I simply needed to call you out on calling a Mosque being built there "sickening". At the same time I feel it's sad that I'm several years younger than you, yet I need to call you out on this. I'd think you'd know better at such an age.

Maybe it will sink in that America has freedom of religion, or maybe you'll just ignore everything I say. We'll see.
"english isnt his first language, leave him alone. im more upset at people that have been speaking english their whole lives and cant write a readable sentence."
http://www.formspring.me/rholf
Presenting..the REAL Jean-Pierre Delmas!
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby . » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:17 am

Just want to say, morally it's a total dick move of them to construct the mosque there. Be akin to Marylin Manson performing in Colorado months following the columbine shootings (which even though they weren't his fault, Manson elected not to do because he didn't want to be an asshole.)

But this isn't a country where we restrict people's freedoms cause it might hurt someone's feelings, or at least I like to believe it is.

The mosque should be allowed to be built. It's not even something that's up for debate. If they have the money, and their not hurting anyone, no one has the right to interfere. Thats the basis of american freedom right there. Ayn Rand motherf*ckers.
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Mewberries151 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:51 am

D.T. Evolution wrote:Just want to say, morally it's a total dick move of them to construct the mosque there. Be akin to Marylin Manson performing in Colorado months following the columbine shootings (which even though they weren't his fault, Manson elected not to do because he didn't want to be an asshole.)

Except it's not a mosque.

It's a cultural community center open to people of all beliefs, not just of Islam. It's the media and stupid politicians that have decided to dub it a mosque because people won't react as strongly to a "community center".

Additionally, there's really no insensitivity going on here (except on the part of the media for doing what they always do and blowing things out of proportion). The community center is not being built on top of Ground Zero as the media is making it out to be, and further more, the opinion of the survivors of 9/11 and family members of those lost all are generally in favor of this center being built because they want the hate to stop.
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby . » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:24 am

Mewberries151 wrote:
D.T. Evolution wrote:Just want to say, morally it's a total dick move of them to construct the mosque there. Be akin to Marylin Manson performing in Colorado months following the columbine shootings (which even though they weren't his fault, Manson elected not to do because he didn't want to be an asshole.)

Except it's not a mosque.

It's a cultural community center open to people of all beliefs, not just of Islam. It's the media and stupid politicians that have decided to dub it a mosque because people won't react as strongly to a "community center".

Additionally, there's really no insensitivity going on here (except on the part of the media for doing what they always do and blowing things out of proportion). The community center is not being built on top of Ground Zero as the media is making it out to be, and further more, the opinion of the survivors of 9/11 and family members of those lost all are generally in favor of this center being built because they want the hate to stop.

Yeah my bad. It's a community center with a mosque/prayer room in it. It also has a pool.
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Lani » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:23 am

Mewberries151 wrote: It's the media and stupid politicians that have decided to dub it a mosque because people won't react as strongly to a "community center".

Scenario 1--
Media: OMG YOU GAIS THEY'RE BUILDING A COMMUNITY CENTER NEAR GROUND ZERO!!!!
Populace: Huh. Kay. Whatevs.

Scenario 2--
Media: OMG YOU GAIS THE'RE BUILDING A MOSQUE NEAR GROUND ZERO!!!!
Populace: OH NO THEY DI'INT

Like I said, they're using to reinforce the growing anti-Muslim sentiment in the US. Even though our system was designed to protect the minority and offer freedom of religion, I feel like now "American" doesn't mean living in and accepting a multicultural and diverse society but being a GOOD WHITE CHRISTIAN

D.T. Evolution wrote:It also has a pool.

And everyone loves pools.
we will advance with sword in hand
for our cause is pure
Lani offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Carth » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:39 am

Lani wrote:I feel like now "American" doesn't mean living in and accepting a multicultural and diverse society but being a GOOD WHITE CHRISTIAN

D.T. Evolution wrote:It also has a pool.

And everyone loves pools.

As for the above, I've been saddened to find by taking a year of US History and a week and a half of AP Government that, for some people, that is what being an American means. Remember segregationists? Yeah. But it's all a political and social mess - cowardly hyperbole to keep one group in control. Some people just want to be closed-minded and fearful...it's not the first time it's happened in human history, not by a long shot. For the record I am a white Christian...though I am a Catholic and everyone knows how evil and awful Catholics are right?

I'm a little worried for this thread's future...but here's hoping it floats along okay. Like I'll be floating in that POOL~
Carth offline

Postby JesusFreak » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:07 am

Oh lordy....

There's already a mosque like a few blocks away.

It's not a mosque

The media needs to stop talking about it.

IT'S NOT A MOSQUE

A community center with a prayer room is like a hospital with a small chapel.

It's not gonna be built on Ground Zero. If it was, I could at least understand the RAAAAAAAGE, but...eh.

IT. IS NOT. A. MOSQUE.

It's proposed to be built on the spot of a hundred-something year old building that was once a Birmingham Coat Factory and NOT A MOSQUE.

THE END.

:|

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby Taelia » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:19 am

I really gotta watch what I say around here.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby jym1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:56 am

hmm, that shows that I should check my sources more carefully. I heard Mosque and that's what I assumed.
jym1 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby JesusFreak » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:34 pm

Does anybody know how big the cultural center's pool will be, OOC?

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby Taelia » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:48 pm

Wait, back up. A pool?
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Mewberries151 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:05 pm

jym1 wrote:hmm, that shows that I should check my sources more carefully. I heard Mosque and that's what I assumed.

"Mosque" is the word that's being tossed around by the main media, like Lani said. The whole thing makes me eyeroll because honestly, I have to ask...so what if it really was a mosque and not a community center?

Consider the following...

New York City has about a 60% Muslim population, if not more (I should probably find the exact figures), all of whom were just as affected by 9/11 just as much or likely more given all this prejudice that's been flung around ever since. I think Lani's absolutely right that American now is supposed to mean "good white christian"...or at least "anyone who's not muslim" and that makes me line face.

The problem gets even more convoluted when you consider the fact that there were Muslims working in the Towerss as well as in the fire and police departments who answered the emergencies and lost their lives. But you don't hear the media really talking about them or their feelings on anything related to Ground Zero/911 because "Muslim now equals terrorist", and the attacker can't possibly also be a victim. Again...line face, forever. 8|

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JesusFreak » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:41 pm

Mewberries151 wrote:
jym1 wrote:hmm, that shows that I should check my sources more carefully. I heard Mosque and that's what I assumed.

"Mosque" is the word that's being tossed around by the main media, like Lani said. The whole thing makes me eyeroll because honestly, I have to ask...so what if it really was a mosque and not a community center?

Consider the following...

New York City has about a 60% Muslim population, if not more (I should probably find the exact figures), all of whom were just as affected by 9/11 just as much or likely more given all this prejudice that's been flung around ever since. I think Lani's absolutely right that American now is supposed to mean "good white christian"...or at least "anyone who's not muslim" and that makes me line face.

The problem gets even more convoluted when you consider the fact that there were Muslims working in the Towerss as well as in the fire and police departments who answered the emergencies and lost their lives. But you don't hear the media really talking about them or their feelings on anything related to Ground Zero/911 because "Muslim now equals terrorist", and the attacker can't possibly also be a victim. Again...line face, forever. 8|

Well....

IF it was a mosque

and

IF it was built on the ruins of Ground Zero like the media seem to think it will be

THEN, and ONLY THEN

it would be like D.T. said, not very nice (LOLPARAPHRASING)

Also, like D.T said, if they had all the approvals and the cash to build it, they should [hypothetically] be able to build it.

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby . » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:11 pm

Taelia wrote:Wait, back up. A pool?

You didn't know? Swimming is a huge part of Islam.
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Taelia » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:50 am

I'll have to look that up.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby . » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:05 pm

Taelia wrote:I'll have to look that up.

They can only swim in mineral water though, no chlorine. It's kinda like how jews can't eat pork ya know?
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Taelia » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:46 pm

Yeah. I getcha.

I really shouldn't have said anything if I was going to anger someone.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby jym1 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:17 am

Taelia wrote:Yeah. I getcha.

your entitled to your opinion, even if everyone else is vehemently against it, you still don't deserve to get flamed for it.
I personally agree that a mosque (as I had assumed it was) would be like a slap in the face to those who had died, even though they have the land and money, and Muslims also were affected on 9/11....but I don't feel like defending that opinion, so I didn't say anything.
jym1 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Mewberries151 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:30 pm

jym1 wrote:

your entitled to your opinion, even if everyone else is vehemently against it, you still don't deserve to get flamed for it.
I personally agree that a mosque (as I had assumed it was) would be like a slap in the face to those who had died, even though they have the land and money, and Muslims also were affected on 9/11....but I don't feel like defending that opinion, so I didn't say anything.

Uh yeah, she might be entitled to her opinion, but other people are entitled to call her out on it if it's hateful against a group of people, especially if they belong to or have a family members/friends being affected by that brand of prejudice.

Freedom of opinion /=/ Freedom from other people expressing their dislike or offense at said opinion

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby . » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:10 pm

Really, how could you not know this? I thought we all did?
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby knifey » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:53 pm

jym1 wrote:

lmao too bad she pretty much instigated a giant drama.

I wonder if saying 'building a mosque is sick' constitutes as mature.

I wish I could go in a pool that didn't have chlorine.
:hatguy: pew pew lazorz
psn profile
knifey offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby JesusFreak » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:34 pm

dr awesome wrote:
I wish I could go in a pool that didn't have chlorine.

No you don't. Trust me.

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby knifey » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:22 pm

JF wrote:No you don't. Trust me.
Do ocean and lake waters have chlorine in them?

Well, I guess they technically aren't pools. But I suppose they could have water in them.

I think now would be a good time for me to say "non-lethal body of water" instead of pool in my original statement.

Is there something wrong with a swimming in a pool of mineral water that I should be aware of?
:hatguy: pew pew lazorz
psn profile
knifey offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby JesusFreak » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:06 pm

dr awesome wrote:
JF wrote:No you don't. Trust me.
Do ocean and lake waters have chlorine in them?

Well, I guess they technically aren't pools. But I suppose they could have water in them.

I think now would be a good time for me to say "non-lethal body of water" instead of pool in my original statement.

Is there something wrong with a swimming in a pool of mineral water that I should be aware of?

Lakes can be fun to swim in, I've done that often.

However, I HAVE swam in a non-chlorinated pool. At a motel.

Nawt. Fun. They're chlorinated for a reason.

Mineral Water...eh, I could see that working. Maybe.

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:14 pm

ANYWAYS now we are getting back on topic. If you have anything else to say on the topic of the mosque-ish thing, go ahead. If not, feel free to move onto the next thread.

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline