Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:38 pm

Soul Eater

Anything goes here, so long as it's clean and follows standard forum rules.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Soul Eater

Postby Rho » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:53 am

I searched and found no topic on this fantastic anime yet.

If you're too lazy to Google, it's about students at an Academy founded by the Grim Reaper. There are weapons, which are humans that can turn into various weapons (i.e scythes, guns) and their meisters who wield said weapons. A weapon can turn into a "death scythe" and become one of Lord Death (the grim reaper)'s weapons. To do so, they need to collect 99 evil souls and the soul of a witch.

FUNimation has the first 16 or so dubbed episodes up on Youtube, Hulu, and their site, but with searching you can find later ones.

Just a warning... if the sight of blood makes you squirm/pass out/sick/explode/turn into a walrus, don't watch it, because there's quite a bit of it.
"english isnt his first language, leave him alone. im more upset at people that have been speaking english their whole lives and cant write a readable sentence."
http://www.formspring.me/rholf
Presenting..the REAL Jean-Pierre Delmas!
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby knifey » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:43 pm

I was planning on reading the manga, but the website where I can find translated scans took it down.

Now I'm off to search for a manga scan website that won't give me a virus.
:hatguy: pew pew lazorz
psn profile
knifey offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby matsumo itsu » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:57 pm

onemanga and mangafox might work?

matsumo itsu offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby green » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:39 pm

matsumo itsu wrote:onemanga and mangafox might work?

Nope, they were the first ones to get the C&D orders :no:

I recommend looking in the LJ comm, links to the scanlations are posted when they come out.

You'll probably have better luck with the download links, what with the crackdown on manga reading sites lately.
green offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Rho » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:00 pm

IIRC Square Enix is launching a site that will have manga online legally in English and French soon, with Soul Eater as one of the featured titles. Don't recall if its free or not though.

I finished the anime this summer and it was absolutely mind-blowing. There's not one character that in the long run is unlikable (I actually think Excalibur isn't annoying). It definitely needs either a second season or a "Brotherhood" type remake.

Oh, and Tim Burton absolutely and completely MUST find this series. This would be absolutely PERFECT for him to make a movie out of. It already looks like it could have been made by him. Plus, Johnny Depp as Stein? Hell yes.
"english isnt his first language, leave him alone. im more upset at people that have been speaking english their whole lives and cant write a readable sentence."
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:48 pm

That...

sounds amazingly delicious. But, unno, he would probably get cast as Death Scythe or Lord Death, for his... zaniness. Frankly, I wish Burton would get away from Depp- they're using each other as crutches now...

Besides, I'm still wary of anime to american movie remakes. *Cioughcoughchunlidbxastoboyspeedracer*

I swear, Keanu, if You mess you my Spike :cussout: . And Donchu remove the Major's awesomeness~!

A-... Ohhhkay. Back on topic. I have the Funimation channel, and they just started airing the episodes of Soul Eater a couple weeks ago. Up to 10 or so from today? They'll run reruns for a year or two, then phase it out. Gotta say, Vic Mignogna as DS doesn't sound like... Vic. All the same, I'm watching out for Patti's test-giraffe wrestling scene. And the voice of Chrona

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby Rho » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:56 pm

The Bebop movie is dead. I've heard about Death Note and Ghost in the Shell ones, though - not sure where those are.

I have a feeling Lord Death would be CG in a movie, and Depp could possibly be Death Scythe/Spirit too. Stein seems more his forte though.

Tim Burton's Soul Eater definitely wouldn't be any Dragonball Evolution, though.

Such a shame all SE is getting on TV so far is FUNimation Channel. Should have gone to Adult Swim. Instead we got Kekkaishi, which could have easily aired on regular CN. :/
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby . » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:50 pm

Rho wrote:IIRC Square Enix is launching a site that will have manga online legally in English and French soon, with Soul Eater as one of the featured titles. Don't recall if its free or not though.

I finished the anime this summer and it was absolutely mind-blowing. There's not one character that in the long run is unlikable (I actually think Excalibur isn't annoying). It definitely needs either a second season or a "Brotherhood" type remake.

Oh, and Tim Burton absolutely and completely MUST find this series. This would be absolutely PERFECT for him to make a movie out of. It already looks like it could have been made by him. Plus, Johnny Depp as Stein? Hell yes.

:no:
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby green » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:34 am

Rho wrote: Oh, and Tim Burton absolutely and completely MUST find this series. This would be absolutely PERFECT for him to make a movie out of. It already looks like it could have been made by him. Plus, Johnny Depp as Stein? Hell yes.

I wouldn't say no to a live action adaption, but after what he did with Alice in Wonderland I don't know if I'd want Burton to be the one to do it.
green offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:59 pm

I was a bit more of an homage to those who've read the series. The Alice movie was based more on Through the Looking Glass. I think he did a pretty good job merging two stories, though. Lead was a disappointment, and I have no idea what Depp was doing, but :w/e:

And I believe the bebop movie is still going though. Slated for release in late 2011. I didn't know there was DN, though. I know there are two japanese live action ones, and they dubbed those with the english VAs and aired it in select movie theatres... That was a fun night.

Just got back from watching SE on Funimation's weekend rewind (They show some of their big shows in two-and-a-half hour marathons on weekends. Repeats for all the new eps, but great if you missed some. Excalibur's episode, and the beginning of Tsubaki's fight with Masamune. Certainly one of my favorite fight scenes!

(And a little off topic- it would be so awesome if Funi showed CL on their channel... not strictly anime, but they did distribute the few DVDs.)

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline