Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 pm

Pokémon 5th Generation

Anything goes here, so long as it's clean and follows standard forum rules.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Pokémon 5th Generation

Postby Tangent128 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:21 am

We now have the names of the next two games: Pokémon Black and Pokémon White. Very back-to-basics, no?

They will still be for the DS, not the 3DS. (Though I think it's reasonable to assume the third version will be for that system.)

And, for those who missed it, the two currently known new Pokémon are Zorua and Zoroark.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:40 am

I just read about this on Bulbapedia. Black and White... they're going back to the naming scheme of Gen I with the colors.

I don't think this generation will be as good or Gens I, II, and IV (Gen III kinda sucked IMO... Hoenn wasn't too creative). Gen IV (D/P/Pt), though very good, showed that Game Freak is beginning to run out of fresh ideas for the new games.

Only thing I'm silghtly concerned about is the racial issues that would come out of the names if thery remain unchanged in America. "White is so totally better than black!" "No it isn't balck is better than white" and so on and so forth.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby Blue Armor Boy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:02 pm

If you only get 8 badges like in every game but gold/silver imma be pissed. Could use a major plot line tune up as well.

TheLordOfAppleFreaks wrote:Only thing I'm silghtly concerned about is the racial issues that would come out of the names if thery remain unchanged in America. "White is so totally better than black!" "No it isn't balck is better than white" and so on and so forth.
Lol yeah that may end badly.
Chivalry ftw!
Blue Armor Boy offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheAppleFreak » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:09 pm

Blue Armor Boy wrote:If you only get 8 badges like in every game but gold/silver imma be pissed. Could use a major plot line tune up as well.

TheLordOfAppleFreaks wrote:Only thing I'm silghtly concerned about is the racial issues that would come out of the names if thery remain unchanged in America. "White is so totally better than black!" "No it isn't balck is better than white" and so on and so forth.
Lol yeah that may end badly.

A difficulty setting for older, more experienced players could also be a good addition to the games. Also, a darker storyline could help a lot, and by dark, I mean much darker than Colosseum and XD. That's one of the main things that I have with the Pokémon series; it's always like "Oh wow! I'll help you we'll be best friends forever!" NO. As much as I like the games, they need to try to capture the older, more hardcore gamers who are only interested in FPSes and whatnot.

But... yeah. I've been on a Bulbapedia editing spree today, finding every article with "Unnamed Generation V game" and updating the titles.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Blue Armor Boy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:20 pm

Yes exactly I'm sick of playing as a stupid little 12 year old kid indirectly supporting a form of cock fighting. And downright idiotic evil villains. Why hasn't ash become a millionaire by now? Hes like 24 or something I'd love to play as a 24 year old whooping evils butt rather than a 12 year old (along with evil villains who can slap the crap out of you if you're not looking.) Even gold and silver were more dark and evil before the remakes. The rival eventually becomes less of a douche and the guy who said he gets kicked out of the game corner from cheating says he got kicked out from winning too much in goldenrod underground.

But anyways yes the 5th gen should have a more "mature" storyline or at least an option for one to it rather than the fruity crap they made 600 episodes and 13 movies about.
Chivalry ftw!
Blue Armor Boy offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheAppleFreak » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:33 pm

Hopefully, the new games won't be as... narmy as the previous games. If they could make a darker clone of Cipher, then I'd be happy.

And something that I pulled up from the depths of my discarded FB statuses
Rival attitudes throught the generations:
Blue (cocky bully): You cant beat me loser!
May/Brendan (friends): Lets help each other!
Barry (hyper active squirrel): BLARG ADVENTURE
Silver: Im gonna kill you, steal your pokemon then take a dump on your mother <-- We need more of that.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Blue Armor Boy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:44 pm

TheLordOfAppleFreaks wrote:Hopefully, the new games won't be as... narmy as the previous games. If they could make a darker clone of Cipher, then I'd be happy.

Silver: Im gonna kill you, steal your pokemon then take a dump on your mother <-- We need more of that.
Yes exactly! Evil villains are supposed to be monsters. All this fruity crap about non-aggression toward your rivals is unrealistic and very much less interesting and fun.

Also on an irrelevant side note did anyone else who beat heartgold soulsiver notice that your rival undresses you when you liberate the radio tower in goldenrod? How is that better than stealing or being unusually harsh? What if your character was wearing nothing under that team rocket disguise? HMM HMM?!
Chivalry ftw!
Blue Armor Boy offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheAppleFreak » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:51 pm

Blue Armor Boy wrote:Also on an irrelevant side note did anyone else who beat heartgold soulsiver notice that your rival undresses you when you liberate the radio tower in goldenrod? How is that better than stealing or being unusually harsh? What if your character was wearing nothing under that team rocket disguise? HMM HMM?!

You're not the first to notice it. Rule 34's already been getting around. Especially if playing as Lyra.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Tekirai » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:39 pm

TheLordOfAppleFreaks wrote:
Blue Armor Boy wrote:Also on an irrelevant side note did anyone else who beat heartgold soulsiver notice that your rival undresses you when you liberate the radio tower in goldenrod? How is that better than stealing or being unusually harsh? What if your character was wearing nothing under that team rocket disguise? HMM HMM?!

You're not the first to notice it. Rule 34's already been getting around. Especially if playing as Lyra.

<s>The stuff with Gold/Silver is heapz better</s>

Yeah Serebii is going mad with the Black and White business, people keep coming in and making black jokes. :c Despite me laughing after hearing the news beforehand. I wouldn't be surprised if they were changed to Pokemon Dark and Pokemon Light when they get localised. It would be awesome if they gave evolutions to Pokemon like Delibird and Mawile this gen, and I'm curious to see the cover legends it will have.

Also - if you're expecting MATURE, HEAPZ COOL STORIES - you're looking at the wrong game franchise. Pokemon has never been about story. The Mystery Dungeon series is as far as it goes storywise, and not everyone likes it...
Tekirai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Blue Armor Boy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:48 pm

Tekirai wrote:

Yeah Serebii is going mad with the Black and White business, people keep coming in and making black jokes. :c Despite me laughing after hearing the news beforehand. I wouldn't be surprised if they were changed to Pokemon Dark and Pokemon Light when they get localised. It would be awesome if they gave evolutions to Pokemon like Delibird and Mawile this gen, and I'm curious to see the cover legends it will have.

Also - if you're expecting MATURE, HEAPZ COOL STORIES - you're looking at the wrong game franchise. Pokemon has never been about story. The Mystery Dungeon series is as far as it goes storywise, and not everyone likes it...

Yes I agree it has been lacking and they should make story-lines better on all their games. My friend told me Pokemon red and blue were banned from America at first because it was apparently too close to "cockfighting." Why do they water it down now? 'Don't steal kids, but its okay to undress your opposition in strange situations out of impulse and to cockfight for a living at the age of 12.' I don't understand this. But I do know having an actual storyline in the 5th gen could set some of this straight.

Does voltorb flip piss anyone else off?
Chivalry ftw!
Blue Armor Boy offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheAppleFreak » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:59 pm

Blue Armor Boy wrote:
Tekirai wrote:

Yes I agree it has been lacking and they should make story-lines better on all their games. My friend told me Pokemon red and blue were banned from America at first because it was apparently too close to "cockfighting." Why do they water it down now? 'Don't steal kids, but its okay to undress your opposition in strange situations out of impulse and to cockfight for a living at the age of 12.' I don't understand this. But I do know having an actual storyline in the 5th gen could set some of this straight.

Does voltorb flip piss anyone else off?

Episode 38 of the anime was banned everywhere because it was too seizureriffic for people to handle. And yet, that recent American dub of the anime shows a bunch of people drowning and then going all explody-like. That's completely logical, because showing people drowning and dying in a kids show is totally allowed here in the US (the anime might actually be getting better... I can't tell).

And yes, Voltorb Flip does piss me off. I WANT MY GAME CORNER TO GAMBLE AT F*** YOU EU FOR IMPOSING THIS IN THEIR GAMES.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Blue Armor Boy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:26 pm

Ha FU tekirai I found me a little shread of hope to flail upon for now...

http://blastmagazine.com/the-magazine/gaming/gaming-news/2010/04/pokemon-black-and-white-announced/
[quote]“Every aspect will be reborn innovatively,â€
Chivalry ftw!
Blue Armor Boy offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:37 pm

Well, in case you haven't heard yet, more information has been leaked about Gen V.
The article from Bulbanews:
Scans of the upcoming CoroCoro magazine have been leaked, and information regarding the upcoming Pokémon Black and White Versions has been revealed.

The scans show vast improvement in graphic quality from the previous generation, with more advanced 3D graphics. The battle scene also appears to have been changed: the whole of the back of the player's Pokémon can be seen as opposed to a small backsprite. A scan of a Pokémon Center is also shown: the mezzanine floor for the Union Room and other link stations is retained from Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver. Like all other areas, major graphical improvements have been made to the Pokémon Center and it seems that a Poké Mart has been incorporated into the building. The final scans show early overworld sprites for the new player characters standing in front of a small house in what is most likely the starting town, in a cave, and on a bridge.

A comment under one screenshot hints that a new form of transportation will be available to players in these games, possibly a car. Although used in some episodes of the anime, cars are yet to debut in a Pokémon game.
More information will be available when CoroCoro is officially released on April 15.

The new screenshots look rather impressive, if not unfamiliar.

TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Blue Armor Boy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:13 pm

Ah yes very nice.
Would be nice if they weren't so pixelated. If I had to take a guess they are playing on the dsi xl though. I got me one of thems it be very nice. Made me glad I never bought another after the first big gray one was released. Aside from some of the color being rubbed away on the outside it still works great.

Glad to see they finally are adding some actual images to the backgrounds rather than just a mesh of colors. Only a few years late on that..
Chivalry ftw!
Blue Armor Boy offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Taelia » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:46 pm

At least they got the colors right.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Tangent128 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:57 pm

they need to try to capture the older, more hardcore gamers who are only interested in FPSes and whatnot.

No, they don't. Gamers who are only interested in FPSes won't change their habits no matter what they do.

Complete Monsters can be effective villains, but they're hardly the only way to go. And in Silver's case, making him just another unrepentant thug fails to differentiate him from his father.

Though you want dark, consider- as of Platinum, anyways, Cyrus is still at large.

And I dunno about you, but I only ever play maybe one round of slots in any given Pokémon game before getting bored. Whereas I was addicted to Voltorb Flip for days. It's Minesweeper plus Sudoku...
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Lani » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:08 am

TheLordOfAppleFreaks wrote:Hopefully, the new games won't be as... narmy as the previous games. If they could make a darker clone of Cipher, then I'd be happy.

We do. Especially if s/he is up to the hotness standard of Silver. Mm, delicious.

I'm not surprised there is going to be a 5th gen, I'm pretty sure they're going to continue making pokemon until everyone keels over. I'll just... not remember any of the Pokemon this time around, like the last two gens there have been. Hahahslkajfldkj

I'm really happy that it's becoming more 3D though *__* I eagerly await the day when Pokemon games are completely... I don't know the word. Super pretty 3D? Immersable? Not realistic, because we all know Real Is Brown and color fits the series. ...No, I don't make sense.
we will advance with sword in hand
for our cause is pure
Lani offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheAppleFreak » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:25 am

Lani wrote:

We do. Especially if s/he is up to the hotness standard of Silver. Mm, delicious.

I'm not surprised there is going to be a 5th gen, I'm pretty sure they're going to continue making pokemon until everyone keels over. I'll just... not remember any of the Pokemon this time around, like the last two gens there have been. Hahahslkajfldkj

I'm really happy that it's becoming more 3D though *__* I eagerly await the day when Pokemon games are completely... I don't know the word. Super pretty 3D? Immersable? Not realistic, because we all know Real Is Brown and color fits the series. ...No, I don't make sense.

If you're looking for 3D, try the GameCube series (Colosseum and XD). Those are definitely more 3d than any game thus far.

According to Bulbapedia, we should have more Gen V information when the new Corocoro comes out on Thursday in Japan. Taking time zones into effect, it should be here late Wednesday afternoon (on the east coast, that is).
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Tekirai » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:37 pm

Lani wrote:We do. Especially if s/he is up to the hotness standard of Silver. Mm, delicious.

i-i don't find silver hot but I just go eeeeeeeeeee on the inside whenever he shows up anywhere

especially in the manga

and especially with gold in tow

I loved the Gamecube games, but a lot of people don't. Wouldn't be so quick to recommend them. A third 3D Pokemon game like that would be great, though. Maybe with new moves like XD did. 8)

...and lol at Pokebeach watermarking those scans, too. They were most likely taken right off 2ch. 8\)
Tekirai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Blue Armor Boy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:29 pm

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/bw/index.html

The actual scans were stuck on this website yesterday. Not only is the chick in the person not nurse joy, but the chick in the pokemon center on red, blue and green is also not nurse overused. Garys friggen gyarados has dragon rage and hydro pump at lvl 22 that jacked me over... Yeah... The site has clickys now. Walnuts.
Chivalry ftw!
Blue Armor Boy offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:37 pm

Well, Bulbapedia just updated with new video footage of Black and White; the 3D city that we saw in those prerelease screenshots is apparently in full 3D.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2lwFWOKYiI
Looks rather impressive.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Tangent128 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:52 am

D/P/Pt/HG/SS's cities were 3D, too; the camera and layouts just never took much advantage of it.

Obviously, that's changing. :D
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby . » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:08 am

How is this crap still going on? It's the same flippin' game every single time! How many more pokemon could they possibly make?

*Not playing another pokemon game until we get a full-fledged console version*
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:37 am

Tangent128 wrote:D/P/Pt/HG/SS's cities were 3D, too; the camera and layouts just never took much advantage of it.

Obviously, that's changing. :D

They're not in full 3D; certain map viewers (by that, I mean ROM hacking tools) can only view maps from a certain viewpoint. These look from the video that they have full 3D models.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:34 pm

Two new ones? God, am I out of date. I can name the first 150 (or was it 151?) by heart, but not much more than that.
Hey Rambo, throw me a shotgun!

Vodka's Vengeance offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Next