Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

What are you reading?

Anything goes here, so long as it's clean and follows standard forum rules.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

What are you reading?

Postby Gauntlet » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:28 pm

If you're reading something, drop by and give us your impression of it if you feel like it. Mark your spoilers. Please don't come in here and say "reading the LF forum lol".

Because we all know that's a stitch.

Just a couple ideas to throw out: other forums, poems, and a critic's review of a book or movie (and whether or not you agree with their review) all count, amongst anything else that you can read. Feel free to post a review yourself, or just list what you're reading and leave it at that.

Anyways, I'm currently reading The Golden Compass. I got the trilogy for like... eight bucks on Amazon? Something like that. So far, barely through chapter three, it has proved to unfathomably boring. There's quite a bit of backstory, a lot of unnecessary infodumps, and overall lack of tension in the here and now. So far, this book really bites, but I'm hoping it picks up later.
Gauntlet offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Kamekai » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:42 pm

Inkspell, the sequel to Inkheart.

Well, it's a little more boring than the first book, but like Gauntlet said, I'm hoping it'll pick up. An improvement from the last one is that Cornelia Funke doesn't use "as if ..." as mush as she did in the last book.
Kamekai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby JesusFreak » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:49 pm

The Candlestone, which is the second book in the Dragons in our Midst series.

What?

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby Tangent128 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:05 pm

kamekai wrote:Inkspell, the sequel to Inkheart.

Oooh, I read that. Waiting for the sequel. :)

I'm reading Ideas That Changed the World. It has entries ranging from Quantum Physics to Communism to Republicanism to... Cannibalism. o_O
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Carth » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:13 pm

^ROFL!

I...am reading Uglies by Scott Westerfield and Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Both are freaking awesome- Uglies is like a coming-of-age popularity book, except twisted over into something completely unique and amazing, and Good Omens...yeah. I'm not even gonna try to describe it.
Carth offline

Postby JesusFreak » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:20 pm

Is it...good?

I'm also trying to slog through Star Wars, Planet of Twilight. TERRIBLE book. This guy can't seem to get the plot moving to save his (character's life)

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby Tekirai » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:15 am

<s>Reading the LF for</s> If a crapload of fanfiction doesn't count, I'm reading a Manga for Dummies book.

When I read it, it makes me feel like a moron. o_e
Tekirai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Stonecreek » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:21 pm

Book-wise, I'm reading some non-fiction, actually - What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew. Yeah, I'm a history buff.

Later, I will read (and beta) the next chapter of Carth's fanfic "Return to the Past."

YDV wrote:Well you see, the amount of time we didn't normally hang around BKO is kind of like potential energy, and then when we all finally came back at the same time it's like letting loose a catapult. 8D

It's all very scientifical. |D

Ah, memories...
http://z10.invisionfree.com/Anime_and_M ... hp?act=idx
Stonecreek offline

Postby . » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:27 pm

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, By Gregory Maguire
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Colinahscopy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:40 pm

Kindred by Octavia Butler
Colin K.
-------------------
Colinahscopy offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby JesusFreak » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:26 pm

Finished both books, and I'm now reading "How to talk to a liberal (if you must)" by Ann Coulter.

"Historically, the best way to convert a liberal is to kick him out of his parent's house, make him get a job, and make him pay taxes"- Ms. Coulter

Its mainly for comedy

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby knifey » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:39 pm

JesusFreak wrote:...

"Historically, the best way to convert a liberal is to kick him out of his parent's house, make him get a job, and make him pay taxes"- Ms. Coulter

Its mainly for comedy
[size=0]Oh right. Stupid me. I forgot totally insulting a group of people is comical. Bottom line, the author offends me.[/size]

I'm reading my chemistry notes because I need to study for my midterm.
:hatguy: pew pew lazorz
psn profile
knifey offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby JesusFreak » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:39 am

Lemiar wrote:

Its mainly for comedy
[size=0]Oh right. Stupid me. I forgot totally insulting a group of people is comical. Bottom line, the author offends me.[/size]

[size=0]Yeah, like you've never thought a dumb blonde joke was funny, have never used teh expression "gypped' or have never heard Camptown Racers. Go ahead and be offended, I'm still reading it.[/size]

Also reading my Biology textbook.

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby knifey » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:50 pm

JesusFreak wrote:
Lemiar wrote:

Its mainly for comedy

[size=0]Yeah, like you've never thought a dumb blonde joke was funny, have never used teh expression "gypped' or have never heard Camptown Racers. Go ahead and be offended, I'm still reading it.[/size]

EDIT: Forget it. I shouldn't have said it; I apologize, but <I>I</I> would have preferred if you kept out that quote in your original post.

For the sake of the topic, I'm reading my math textbook.
:hatguy: pew pew lazorz
psn profile
knifey offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby JesusFreak » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:50 pm

Lemiar wrote:
JesusFreak wrote:
Lemiar wrote:

Its mainly for comedy

EDIT: Forget it. I shouldn't have said it; I apologize, but <I>I</I> would have preferred if you kept out that quote in your original post.

For the sake of the topic, I'm reading my math textbook.

Apology accepted. MOVING ON...

Also reading about the Maginot line.

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:28 pm

You Are Going to Prison by Jim Hogshire.
Hey Rambo, throw me a shotgun!

Vodka's Vengeance offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Kamekai » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:24 pm

I Am America (And so can you!) -- By Stephen Colbert.
Kamekai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Gauntlet » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:48 pm

Finally finished The Golden Compass.

It had a fairly slow start, and I didn't really find anything likable about Lyra. Even now, I wouldn't care if she died or something heartbreaking happened to her. Pullman has a bad habit of droning on and on with details and everything, to the point where I'm skipping over paragraphs just to get to something interesting. He also tends to let slip a lot of juicy details all at once, those of which would have made a bigger impact on the reader if he had saved it for another time, either later in the story or at a more dynamic scene. I already cashed in for the trilogy, so I'm due to read The Subtle Knife, and then The Amber Spyglass, in due time. Overall, I don't completely understand why this book is considered a Top-10 must-read. So far, the book tops out at a 3 star, in my opinion.

Currently reading: Stephen King's Carrie.
Gauntlet offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Phoenix Wolf » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:22 pm

The Will of the Emperess by Tamora Peirce
Where Reality Ends and Virtuality Begins!!!
Catch Ya On The Flipside!!
Phoenix Wolf offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Location: Searching for LadyLucy....Happy to be recovered from anxiey...

Postby Gauntlet » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:33 pm

Finally finished reading Pullman's His Dark Materials , consisting of three books. I have a really bad crick in my neck, and I generally do not want to read anything anymore, but it was a good trilogy. It wasn't breaking any literary grounds or anything, but it kept me reading, though by the third book, I'm not sure if it Pullman's words or my own desperation to finish. It's definitely worth a read, despite its infamy.

Stephen King's Carrie was a poor book. It was his first published novel, and it definitely shows. I didn't find the protagonist likable, and it was just a really good way to dampen your day.

Agh... Well, I'm a total loss for what to read now. I spent a week reading those four books, and I am dead tired from reading. Probably going to skim through William Golding's Lord of the Flies while I take a break.
Gauntlet offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Boss Tamsy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:42 pm

Finished Fahrenheit 451. Guy(that's his name, believe it or not) isn't happy that the world is simply centered around fun and that books are illeagal and should be burned. He should know, he burns them as a job. His wife's a possibly suicidal, pill-popping, unemotional woman, and he meets a girl named Clarisse, who tells him that life hasn't always been like this. Then he goes to an ex-college professor named Faber and they try to stop the firemen. Unfortunately, Beatty, the fire captain, busts Guy and makes him set his own house on fire. Then, Guy sets Beatty on fire, runs away, and gets chased by(get this) an EIGHT LEGGED ROBOTIC DOG! He evwentually escapes and meets with some other rebels as an H-bomb is dropped on his city!
EPIC FAIL!!
Boss Tamsy offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Tangent128 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:06 am

Pretty much how I remember it. ;)
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby levicampbell » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:42 pm

"The Shadow of Ararat: Oath of Empires" by Thomas Harlen
"Design and implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System"
"The Art of Unix Programming" Eric S. Raymond
"Prophet Without Honor by Ragnar Tornquist
"Trump: The Art of the Deal" Donald Trump
levicampbell offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby CotS » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:20 pm

Yeshua Fanatic wrote:The Candlestone, which is the second book in the Dragons in our Midst series.

What?

*gasp*
I though I was the only one who read those lol.
I really like the Inkheart series also, can't wait for Inkdeath to come out.

On a more topic related note.
I'm not reading anything currently (strange is't it?) But I'm debating either starting House, or The Oath by Frank Peretti (and Ted Dekker with House)
AKA PotterFreak
Ignorance is bliss, but with knowledge comes power.
FYI, I am a boy, live with it :P
98% OF TEENS WON'T STAND UP FOR GOD...
REPOST THIS IF YOU'RE ONE OF THE 2% WHO WILL.
CotS offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby JesusFreak » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:27 pm

CotS wrote:
Yeshua Fanatic wrote:The Candlestone, which is the second book in the Dragons in our Midst series.

What?

*gasp*
I though I was the only one who read those lol.

Your not the only one. Heck, WE'RE not the only ones. My friend lent me the book.

Reading Culture Warrior by Bill O'Reilley (sp?)

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Next