Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 pm

What are you reading?

Anything goes here, so long as it's clean and follows standard forum rules.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Postby Stonecreek » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:07 am

Bumpity-bump, for how could I ever let this topic languish, bibliophile that I am?

Right now, I'm reading Scott Lynch's epic "The Lies of Locke Lamora." Imagine Charles Dickens-like characters in an island fantasy kingdom...and everyone has potty mouths. It is supremely entertaining so far.

YDV wrote:Well you see, the amount of time we didn't normally hang around BKO is kind of like potential energy, and then when we all finally came back at the same time it's like letting loose a catapult. 8D

It's all very scientifical. |D

Ah, memories...
http://z10.invisionfree.com/Anime_and_M ... hp?act=idx
Stonecreek offline

Postby knifey » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:52 pm

<I>Jacinto's Remnant</I> by Karen Traviss
:hatguy: pew pew lazorz
psn profile
knifey offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Carth » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:56 pm

The Waste Land by T.S. Elliot (for class) and Rebecca by Daphne duMaurier, for the...fourth time, I think. 8D
Carth offline

Postby desincarnation » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:04 pm

Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.
Would like to give a review, but I merely started.
desincarnation offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby Stonecreek » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:16 pm

desincarnation wrote:Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.
Would like to give a review, but I merely started.

That's sitting on my bookshelf, waiting to be read.

Right now, I am still reading "The Lies of Locke Lamora," but I will soon start another book, because it is such slow-going through that one.

YDV wrote:Well you see, the amount of time we didn't normally hang around BKO is kind of like potential energy, and then when we all finally came back at the same time it's like letting loose a catapult. 8D

Ah, memories...
Stonecreek offline

Postby JesusFreak » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:36 pm

KnifeShock wrote:<I>Jacinto's Remnant</I> by Karen Traviss

SATAN WORSHIPPER :O

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby Carth » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:56 pm

JesusFreak wrote:
KnifeShock wrote:<I>Jacinto's Remnant</I> by Karen Traviss

SATAN WORSHIPPER :O

I don't believe "Satan Worshipper" is a book. And unless you have some literary amazingness you'd like to share, don't make off-topic posts.

I'm reading "Death of a Salesman" for Lit class. I feel like I've already read it in "The Great Gatsby", just re-packaged in a different setting.
Carth offline

Postby Stonecreek » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:26 am

Bumping this topic exactly one year from when it last got posted in. Purely coincidence, I assure you.

I am reading "Lost States" IT's a bookk about all the could've been U.S. states. I'm not sure if I'm gonna take it all as true history, but all the maps are great to look at.

As for fanfics, what am I not reading? Right now, I am slogging through the mass of badfics in the Harry Potter section of archiveofourown.org.

Ah, memories...
Stonecreek offline

Postby ArgentDandelion » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:51 am

Presently I am reading a book called Thresholds by Nina Kiriki Hoffman. It involves a purring, multicolored egg embedded in the protagonist's palm, fairy dust apparently smelling like cinnamon and carnations, and other things. With portals.

Previously I was reading The Dragon in the Sock Drawer.
ArgentDandelion offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Stonecreek » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:58 am

ArgentDandelion wrote:Presently I am reading a book called Thresholds by Nina Kiriki Hoffman. It involves a purring, multicolored egg embedded in the protagonist's palm, fairy dust apparently smelling like cinnamon and carnations, and other things. With portals.

Previously I was reading The Dragon in the Sock Drawer.

I read Nina Kiriji Hoffman's "Spirits That Walk in Shadows" recently. I enjoyed it even though I found it predictable and the solutions to porblems came too conviniently.

Ah, memories...
Stonecreek offline

Postby Asantewaalrus » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:18 am

I haven't started any of these yet, but I recently decided to pick-up and actually read the books suggested to me—I'll edit and review them as I finish them, here's a list anyway.

1. The Education of Oversoul Seven by Jane Roberts

My Mom has been trying to get me to read this for years, I finally broke down.

2. The Red Lion by Maria Szepes

I've actually wanted to read this but haven't had a chance too.

3. Akhunaton: The Extraterrestrial King by Dave Stewart

I actually read some of this and wasn't able to finish it—one of the only books that actually succeeded in scaring the crap out of me. I still have issues looking at the night sky because of it, which is lame but true. I wouldn't suggested it, solely because of the mass typos that are in it and the self-proclaimed "intellectual" method of writing. Not something you'd read for the writing, but just for your curiosity or interest in science fiction.

It's not a horror novel, for the record, just the things it made me think about were enough to disturb me. The final chapter is a mind-screw up the butt.

4. There Are No Children Here by Alex Kotlowitz

My grandma suggested this book to me a long, long, long time ago. Saw the movie awhile ago and ran into the book at the library down here.
Asantewaalrus offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Saphire-089 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:35 am

Currently In the middle of The Hunger Games.
*Avatar was made by deviant art user rinrinyan
Saphire-089 offline

Postby Asantewaalrus » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:37 am

Ugh, damn.
Another book someone wanted me to read. D<
How is it? Other than full of people fighting, lawl.

Edit: Hey, has anyone made a "what fan-fiction" are you reading thread?
Asantewaalrus offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby JesusFreak » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:08 pm

In the last two weeks I have read:

Frank Herbert's Dune (AKA more things George Lucas cribbed from)

Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy (Same)

Isaac Asimov's I, Robot (Overhyped)

A.C Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy (Almost as good as Dune if you know the SW Expanded universe)

Steamboat on the River by some dude I don't remember (AKA Abraham Lincoln saves the day!)

2 books (Ancient China and Early Civilizations specifically) of the Great Ages of Man series (boooooring)

Oh, and Watership Down. (AKA if the Secret of NIMH was on even more hallucinogens)

====

I need literature credits to graduate, if you can't guess. xP

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby Stonecreek » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Username wrote:Ugh, damn.
Another book someone wanted me to read. D<
How is it? Other than full of people fighting, lawl.

Edit: Hey, has anyone made a "what fan-fiction" are you reading thread?

No, noone has, but this thread can serve that purpose, as well.

I just read Andrew Clements' "Things Not Seen" last night. It's about a teen boy that wakes up invisible one morning, and how he copes. Again, a bit predictable, but it was a good read with a moral message that wasn't bashed over your head.

As for fanfiction, I went rereading some old Card Captor Sakura fanfics from author Taste of Violets.

Ah, memories...
Stonecreek offline

Postby Lani » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:48 am

I am reading a book (BREAKING NEWS)!!

Unfortunately it's just the 2nd Durarara!! light novel. In Japaneeeese. I'm just finishing it up. I think I should be done by this weekend :>
we will advance with sword in hand
for our cause is pure
Lani offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby JesusFreak » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:59 pm

Just finished reading "The Lost Hero", the first part of the sequel series to "Percy Jackson and the Olympians".

zomg that was fun

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby SilverPrince » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:47 pm

._. wrote:Just finished reading "The Lost Hero", the first part of the sequel series to "Percy Jackson and the Olympians".

*The Last Olympian

Sorry, but I had to. At any rate, I applaud your book choice. I love the Percy Jackson books!

Stonecreek wrote:I miss the boob bots. At least they were peddling something I have interest in...
SilverPrince offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby JesusFreak » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:15 pm

SilverPrince wrote:
._. wrote:Just finished reading "The Lost Hero", the first part of the sequel series to "Percy Jackson and the Olympians".

*The Last Olympian

Sorry, but I had to. At any rate, I applaud your book choice. I love the Percy Jackson books!

Then you'll love the new series!

Riordan found an excuse to bring human mortal characters from Greek mythology (nothing Roman yet), and they're all awesomesauce. Especially [Spoiler] King Midas and his son. Midas found a job as one of those salesmen on TV who hawk gold as an investment. And Aeolus King of Weatherman was funny too. However, Why is everyone so freaked out about Percy being teleported to Camp Roman Half Blood? Sure, Jason told everyone that a half-blood must be strong to earn Roman respect of somesuch, but Percy has the curse of Achilles! Ah well. Poor Annabeth... [/spoiler]

Also reading some old book called "The Egyptian". It's long. And crazy.

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby desincarnation » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:34 am

Anatomy textbook-

srsly, I have Orson Scott Card's 'Ender in Exile' in plans.
desincarnation offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby ArgentDandelion » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:25 pm

Erec Rex and the Three Furies, by Kaza Kingsley. Also, a nonfiction book called "The Secret Life of Birds" in which I have learned a few interesting things about birds.
ArgentDandelion offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Stonecreek » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:29 pm

Well, went to a bi-annual book sale last week, only spent a shade under $20, and got myself close to 30 books. I think the one I'm going to read first is Haruki Murakami's "After Dark." I figure since it's the shortest of his novels that I could find, it'd be a good place to start to see if I like his style.

Ah, memories...
Stonecreek offline

Postby Phoenix Wolf » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:23 am

Hey everyone I am a book worm and bibliophile my current book list that I am working on right now and yes I am reading all of these... James Patterson's Maximum Ride series (reading all of them over for the third time currently on Schools Out Forever), Raging Quiet, Tamora Peirces Shatter Glass, and Voyage of the Dawn Treader since its coming out soon.... I will soon be trying to read the Art of War.
Where Reality Ends and Virtuality Begins!!!
Catch Ya On The Flipside!!
Phoenix Wolf offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Location: Searching for LadyLucy....Happy to be recovered from anxiey...

Postby Stonecreek » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:52 pm

I just finished re-reading Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy. Still love it, but the third book does kinda drag,

Also, it'd be awesome (and a neat bit of necromancing) if the old thread concerning the books/movie would be bumped. 'Course, it could ignite another bout of spiritual wars around here, but with the populace being what it is now, I doubt it.

Ah, memories...
Stonecreek offline

Postby ArgentDandelion » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:51 am

I was reading the Dragon in the Driveway earlier, and then Merlin's Dragon: Ultimate Magic, and I now I am reading Quantum Prophecy: The Reckoning, Book 3.
ArgentDandelion offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

PreviousNext