Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:24 am

BKO?

This is a forum for anything directly connected to this website. This is NOT for Code Lyoko discussion

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

BKO?

Postby LyokoMan95 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Since I'm pretty sure we only have 2 active admins (within the past few days), have the rules for BKO changed at all?
LyokoMan95 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Re: BKO?

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:25 pm

BKO is going to have its post limit removed at some point during the impending site restructuring.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby Carth » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:08 am

TheAppleFreak wrote:BKO is going to have its post limit removed at some point during the impending site restructuring.

That sounds like a good idea. It was practical back in 2006, not so much anymore, given that BKO has the highest post volume now.

Should BKO still require mod or admin permission to access, however?
Carth offline

Postby TheLQ » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:43 am

I vote that the only restriction be its not public, its registered users only. That way the public persona is your general LF forum and not your general talk about anything forum. However nowadays the mod or admin approval process is not only unreliable, it isn't really better than just registered users only.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby LyokoMan95 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:29 pm

TheLQ wrote:I vote that the only restriction be its not public, its registered users only. That way the public persona is your general LF forum and not your general talk about anything forum. However nowadays the mod or admin approval process is not only unreliable, it isn't really better than just registered users only.

Agreed.
LyokoMan95 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TheAppleFreak » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:44 pm

LyokoMan95 wrote:
TheLQ wrote:I vote that the only restriction be its not public, its registered users only. That way the public persona is your general LF forum and not your general talk about anything forum. However nowadays the mod or admin approval process is not only unreliable, it isn't really better than just registered users only.

Agreed.

Maybe we should remove the admin approval process, but lower the post count to 5 or 10 posts or something.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby TheLQ » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:23 pm

TheAppleFreak wrote:
LyokoMan95 wrote:

Agreed.

Maybe we should remove the admin approval process, but lower the post count to 5 or 10 posts or something.

I vote for 7 or 5 but read-only instead of hidden until they pass the limit. That seems like a reasonable amount, just enough time to post around and get to know people and the topic before getting post privileges.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:28 pm

TheLQ wrote:
TheAppleFreak wrote:
LyokoMan95 wrote:

Agreed.

I vote for 7 or 5 but read-only instead of hidden until they pass the limit. That seems like a reasonable amount, just enough time to post around and get to know people and the topic before getting post privileges.

I dunno, 10 sounds more reasonable to me. I don't think it's an unreasonable post amount. With a 5 post limit, a new user can simply make a welcome thread and post in four Games threads before getting access; with 10, it means that the user has to actually engage in the larger community more before they can get access to BKO. If I remember correctly, Tech Links had a download section where you needed to get at least 10 posts before being able to download the media from there. I recall that I wasn't a very good forum citizen back when I was 13, so it was rather difficult for me to come up with those ten quality posts. Oh how times have changed :D

The read-only suggestion is a really good idea.

I'm going to implement the 7 post idea and the read-only suggestion as a trial run. Depending on how people react to it, the limit will get changed.

EDIT: I'm testing out the read-only permissions now, and I realized how weird it is for brand new users to be able to see all of our discussions. I'm editing the forum permissions so new users can see the existence of the forum, but can't read it until they have 2 posts. After the two posts, they gain read-only mode, and after 7 posts they gain post access.

EDIT 2: Just did a crapton of Googling after not finding the necessary options to enable post access after 7 posts. Apparently, asides from the promotion from the Newly Registered Users group to Registered Users, there's no built-in way to have a user automatically join the BKO access group at a certain post count; admin approval to the BKO group is still necessary for now. There is a mod that should work with the current version of phpBB that should allow this, but I need FTP access to install it and I don't have it yet. Oh well, one step at a time.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby green » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:17 am

TheAppleFreak wrote:
TheLQ wrote:
TheAppleFreak wrote:
LyokoMan95 wrote:

Agreed.

I dunno, 10 sounds more reasonable to me. I don't think it's an unreasonable post amount. With a 5 post limit, a new user can simply make a welcome thread and post in four Games threads before getting access; with 10, it means that the user has to actually engage in the larger community more before they can get access to BKO. If I remember correctly, Tech Links had a download section where you needed to get at least 10 posts before being able to download the media from there. I recall that I wasn't a very good forum citizen back when I was 13, so it was rather difficult for me to come up with those ten quality posts. Oh how times have changed :D

I'm going to implement the 7 post idea and the read-only suggestion as a trial run. Depending on how people react to it, the limit will get changed.

EDIT: I'm testing out the read-only permissions now, and I realized how weird it is for brand new users to be able to see all of our discussions. I'm editing the forum permissions so new users can see the existence of the forum, but can't read it until they have 2 posts. After the two posts, they gain read-only mode, and after 7 posts they gain post access.

I can't remember if this was the case already or not but games posts don't/shouldn't count, I think? I have no idea how or if that could be impemented codewise though.
green offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:27 am

green wrote:
TheAppleFreak wrote:
TheLQ wrote:
TheAppleFreak wrote:
LyokoMan95 wrote:

Agreed.

I can't remember if this was the case already or not but games posts don't/shouldn't count, I think? I have no idea how or if that could be impemented codewise though.

Under the old system, they weren't supposed to count, but quite honestly I think it was at the admin's discretion whether or not it should be counted. I think it was only for egregious cases (99% of all posts being in Games, for instance) that it actually took effect.

For now, I think that the old requirement should be considered, especially since I don't know how it'd be pulled off technically.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby LyokoMan95 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:17 pm

TheAppleFreak wrote:EDIT 2: Just did a crapton of Googling after not finding the necessary options to enable post access after 7 posts. Apparently, asides from the promotion from the Newly Registered Users group to Registered Users, there's no built-in way to have a user automatically join the BKO access group at a certain post count; admin approval to the BKO group is still necessary for now. There is a mod that should work with the current version of phpBB that should allow this, but I need FTP access to install it and I don't have it yet. Oh well, one step at a time.

So if I were to send a request right now. *hint* *hint* Would the new post count of 7 take effect, or the previous one.

EDIT: Nevermind the hint just realized I can access :)
LyokoMan95 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid