Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:58 am

PSA: Be careful before you change your e-mail address!

This is a forum for anything directly connected to this website. This is NOT for Code Lyoko discussion

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

PSA: Be careful before you change your e-mail address!

Postby Carth » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:29 pm

Over the past year or two, we've had two instances- two with SilverPrince and one with Saphire-089 (Random-Girl)- where a person's account has invalidated itself for no apparent reason. In each instance, they told us that they were locked out of their accounts right after they changed their profile e-mail addresses. So, of course, we made the connection that changing one's email address locks them out of their account.

I don't quite know what's causing this- it could have something to do with identifying the validation- but since this is an identified problem, we do want you guys to be careful! If you find yourself in this situation, or you want to change your e-mail address, please contact an admin or mod. If you PM an admin I'm sure they can do the switch for you. If you can't access your account...I don't happen to have any outside contact info for the admins, but you can find me on AIM or MSN, respecively, at-

xxcarthmxx
starphan@hotmail.com

If you contact me at either of those I will get to Mew or Teebs and tell them about your situation. Thanks and be safe!

- Carth
Carth offline

Postby ccbtimewiz » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:36 pm

Hi Carth,

The reason is because you have Email Validation turned on. This is an option in phpBB and most other leading bulletin board software.

The option requires member activation (again) after changing your email address. The return address is probably wrong and you're getting bounced back emails, which is why no one is getting the validation link after changing their emails.

You could either fix the mail problem, or turn off this validation.
ccbtimewiz offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Carth » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Oh, really? Yay!

I don't have any access to the Admin CP, but hopefully when an admin sees this it can be fixed.
Carth offline

Postby TheAppleFreak » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:04 pm

ccbtimewiz wrote:Hi Carth,

The reason is because you have Email Validation turned on. This is an option in phpBB and most other leading bulletin board software.

The option requires member activation (again) after changing your email address. The return address is probably wrong and you're getting bounced back emails, which is why no one is getting the validation link after changing their emails.

You could either fix the mail problem, or turn off this validation.

One word: spambots. Without that precaution, they'd overrun the forum.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby ccbtimewiz » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:28 pm

A spambot wouldn't bother with changing their email.
Last edited by ccbtimewiz on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ccbtimewiz offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Mewberries151 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:27 am

Alright. I've taken a look at the forum configurations and honestly I don't think we have that "E-Mail Validation option".

The only thing that I can see that has to do with account activation or e-mail validation of any kind is the "Admin Activation" which is still enabled. I'm going to assume that is where the problem is stemming from as accounts are now admin activated, and we don't get alerts when a member has changed their e-mail, only when a new member has signed up.

That's the best I can figure.
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ccbtimewiz » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:43 am

I'm honestly not familiar with the structure of phpBB2 as much as I used to be, however it is certainly an issue with how the software sends out mail.

It could very well be an issue with the mail ports and how the mail function is being utilized.. it's something for the technical administrator to look over, that's for sure. Hope it gets solved soon. :)
ccbtimewiz offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby smiller » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Yeah, I think we just really need for the admin to validate all of these instances or to give the admin status to another member. Because these problems are reoccurring.
I'LL TRADE MY LEVEL 10 KANKRELAT FOR YOUR LEVEL 27 BLOK!
smiller offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:59 pm

No, I don't really think having another admin would help. Especially for a one-instanced problem...

Oh, if only Warton were here~

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby Jeremified » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:53 pm

As somebody who forgot about this issue and tried to change his e-mail address... I can confirm that doing that locks you out of your account. (On a related note, thanks Mewberries. :))
thank you all for the good memories <3
Jeremified offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Mewberries151 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:23 am

Fraxtil wrote:As somebody who forgot about this issue and tried to change his e-mail address... I can confirm that doing that locks you out of your account. (On a related note, thanks Mewberries. :))

You're welcome. ^_^ Again, anyone who finds themselves in a similar fix is welcome to e-mail me using the e-mail address in my Profile.
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin