Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Why so buggy, text boxes?

This is a forum for anything directly connected to this website. This is NOT for Code Lyoko discussion

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Why so buggy, text boxes?

Postby Andy Waltfeld » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:25 pm

Dunno whether this is an IE8 thing or a "resolution greater than 1024x768" thing or what, but whenever I try to make posts with large amounts of text (or parse away stack-quotes to make an orderly reply), the text box's scroll bar keeps wanting to default to the top as I type more and more lines. This makes highlighting text, proofreading, etc. much more of a chore than it should be.

...Actually, it may not even be an IE8 or high-res issue, seeing as no other phpBB-based board I use has this problem.
My SN is spelled Feld, not Field. Keep getting it right, Carth.
I has opinions. On things.

Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN: Because if you're gonna ninja while wearing orange, you may as well quit taking the rest of it seriously.
Andy Waltfeld offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Sithking Zero » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Yeah, same here!
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Stonecreek » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:57 pm

It has happened to me once or twice, most recently when doing the Caption Contest judging. I dunno what is causing it.

YDV wrote:Well you see, the amount of time we didn't normally hang around BKO is kind of like potential energy, and then when we all finally came back at the same time it's like letting loose a catapult. 8D

It's all very scientifical. |D

Ah, memories...
http://z10.invisionfree.com/Anime_and_M ... hp?act=idx
Stonecreek offline

Postby SearchingLyoko » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:55 pm

You know... considering the massive emphasis on spelling here... we should so program a spell-check system into the text-box.
SearchingLyoko Delenda Est.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby Mewberries151 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:18 am

I'm not exactly sure what this glitch is that you're talking about as I've never noticed it when I use LF. Then again, I also haven't been on my usual laptop this whole week so maybe that's why, at least if this is a recent glitch.

If one of you could take a screenshot of what this problem is, that would really help me in figuring out the problem. ^^ Thanks.
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Stonecreek » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:40 am

It'd be sorta hard, as it's a moving thing. When you are typing up a message, and your text box gets full (whether by typing or having a long quote from someone else in there, the cursor wants to jump to the top. It basically makes it impossible to highlight anything in the post or go back to edit and see what you have typed. The cursor keeps bobbing around on you. Only happened to me three times.

YDV wrote:Well you see, the amount of time we didn't normally hang around BKO is kind of like potential energy, and then when we all finally came back at the same time it's like letting loose a catapult. 8D

Ah, memories...
Stonecreek offline

Postby Sithking Zero » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:14 am

Agreed. The picture would only show the top part of any text. We'd have to take a video of it happening.

One way around it that I've found, but not really a solution, is to type up any posts I make into MS Word and then cut/paste them into the forum.
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby SearchingLyoko » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:56 pm

I do that for all my pre-typed posts, but usually my spur-of-the-moment stuff doesn't go long enough for me to see this glitch. Maybe that's why I never noticed it.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby Mewberries151 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:25 am

I've honestly never seen this glitch before...and I've typed some pretty long-winded posts (not to mention I quote a lot), so I can't say for sure that it's the forum, seeing as how only a few of you seem to have this problem.

However that's not to say that it couldn't be the forum.

Like I said though, I have really no way of fixing this without knowing what the problem looks like (i.e a screenshot or a video as someone suggested) as Warton (who'd be the most likely person I'd consult with this about) would probably need something more to go off of.

Personally...from your descriptions...this sounds more like a Mouse error or display error rather than a forum error, but that's only because it sounds like a "scrolling" problem (and I honestly cannot picture the problem from your descriptions ^^; Sorry). Does it still happen to you guys when logged onto different computers? (If it's possible for you to test this anyway)

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Stonecreek » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:53 am

It's happened to me a lot at home (using Windoms Vista) and at both my work computers (Windows XP, old computers). It is just a nuisance, having the cursor jump around on you. Nothing major.

Ah, memories...
Stonecreek offline

Postby Mewberries151 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:00 am

Stonecreek wrote:It's happened to me a lot at home (using Windoms Vista) and at both my work computers (Windows XP, old computers). It is just a nuisance, having the cursor jump around on you. Nothing major.

Well...shoot...that is really strange.

I'll contact Warton and see if he can figure out what this might be from the descriptions you guys gave. It's worth a shot, and maybe it'll at least give us an idea of what might be causing this, even if there's no fix or something. ^^

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TheAppleFreak » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:17 am

Mewberries151 wrote:
Stonecreek wrote:It's happened to me a lot at home (using Windoms Vista) and at both my work computers (Windows XP, old computers). It is just a nuisance, having the cursor jump around on you. Nothing major.

Well...shoot...that is really strange.

I'll contact Warton and see if he can figure out what this might be from the descriptions you guys gave. It's worth a shot, and maybe it'll at least give us an idea of what might be causing this, even if there's no fix or something. ^^

Wait a minute, Warton is still alive!? *faints*

The only forum-related issue I've seen are scroll bars appearing on certain posts and signatures. I think it's in Safari's Nitro engine that's doing it.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby SearchingLyoko » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:16 pm

Lacking a better explination...

I blame XANA!

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby ccbtimewiz » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:07 pm

The reason that this is happening is because of the default text sizing in the text box as attributed by the text box isn't allocating the entire way. The reason is because of the discarded elements that aren't supposed to be fit..

The templates are old and outdated. As browsers are changing, this site isn't being updated properly, which is probably why more modern-day browsers are having issues with it. As far as I'm aware, this only happens using a Trident-based engine (Internet Explorer, Maxthon, etc). I never had this happen with Presto (Opera) or Gecko (Firefox, Flock, etc).
ccbtimewiz offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby TheLQ » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:19 pm

Why not spend some time updating to a better version of phpbb?
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby SearchingLyoko » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:00 am

Methinks a spelling check feature would be well worth it.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned