Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

So... Lets say I buy Lyoko Freak

This is a forum for anything directly connected to this website. This is NOT for Code Lyoko discussion

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

So... Lets say I buy Lyoko Freak

Postby . » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:03 am

How much? I'm slightly interested in owning a forum to create my dream centered on cartoons, and LF does have a built in community.
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Jeremified » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:42 am

I doubt anyone's just going to let you take over Lyokofreak and do whatever suits your whim with it. It's not a corporation, it's a community.
thank you all for the good memories <3
Jeremified offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby . » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:46 pm

And the community is dying. Who the hell is running this website anyway?
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Carth » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:03 pm

D.T. Evolution wrote:And the community is dying. Who the hell is running this website anyway?

As far as I know, the site is hosted on the old Techlinks servers by Lyoko Computer, who does not come around here too often, but to whom I am very grateful for keeping the site up, even if it is indeed "dying" (as it has been for a while now).

And if it is "dying", as you say, what would be the point of buying it?
Carth offline

Postby TheAppleFreak » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:57 pm

Carth wrote:
D.T. Evolution wrote:And the community is dying. Who the hell is running this website anyway?

As far as I know, the site is hosted on the old Techlinks servers by Lyoko Computer, who does not come around here too often, but to whom I am very grateful for keeping the site up, even if it is indeed "dying" (as it has been for a while now).

And if it is "dying", as you say, what would be the point of buying it?

Maybe he really loves all of us... :colors:
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby Mewberries151 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:48 pm

Depends on what you mean by running.

If you mean running, as in paying for the server upkeep and technical aspects, that would be Lyoko Computer.

If you mean running as in Mod/Admin-ship, well, you can find that in the FAQ.

However, I'm pretty sure you already know the answer to that second part, Piper.
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby . » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:19 am

Mewberries151 wrote:

If you mean running, as in paying for the server upkeep and technical aspects, that would be Lyoko Computer.

However, I'm pretty sure you already know the answer to that second part, Piper.

How much could it be to keep this place afloat?

Someone needs to take the reigns and do something with this place before it dies out. Why don't you do something with LF then Mew?
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Mewberries151 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:34 am

D.T. Evolution wrote:
Mewberries151 wrote:

Someone needs to take the reigns and do something with this place before it dies out. Why don't you do something with LF then Mew?

I'm not interested in turning LF into my own personal forum and dragging it away from what it was originally made for just because it conveniently has a community attached to it. That's just selfish, and whose to say said "built-in" community would stay? You make the people here sound like some "Gift Bonus" in a Billy Mays ad.

Also, even if I wanted to, you forget, I'm not the sole ruling Admin here. We have three other Admins, one of which I know for sure is online as much as I am.

If you want a forum of your own and people visiting it, go do what Starway did when she started LF and get your own forum and build it up yourself. There's plenty of places to network interest in cartoons, and you're crazy if you think someone's going to sell you LF just because you don't feel like doing any work on your own forum.

If you have honest-to-goodness suggestions for how to improve LF why not make a thread or PM an Admin or something and actually let us know?

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby . » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:51 am

Mewberries151 wrote:
D.T. Evolution wrote:
Mewberries151 wrote:

I'm not interested in turning LF into my own personal forum and dragging it away from what it was originally made for just because it conveniently has a community attached to it. That's just selfish, and whose to say said "built-in" community would stay? You make the people here sound like some "Gift Bonus" in a Billy Mays ad.

Also, even if I wanted to, you forget, I'm not the sole ruling Admin here. We have three other Admins, one of which I know for sure is online as much as I am.

If you want a forum of your own and people visiting it, go do what Starway did when she started LF and get your own forum and build it up yourself. There's plenty of places to network interest in cartoons, and you're crazy if you think someone's going to sell you LF just because you don't feel like doing any work on your own forum.

If you have honest-to-goodness suggestions for how to improve LF why not make a thread or PM an Admin or something and actually let us know?

I've mentioned it time and time before, were all lovers of good cartoon shows here. Why not just change the forum into that? For goodness sake, our community will stick around so long as we continue to have a BKO and General Discussion forum. There is little point, in my mind anyway, we still keep sticking to just Code Lyoko when the show is dead and buried and has little chance of ever returning.
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby ccbtimewiz » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:55 pm

I lol'd through-out this entire topic.

Please tell me you're just playing around, D.T. Evolution. Do you seriously think you could -buy- a forum? :umm:
ccbtimewiz offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Mewberries151 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:44 pm

D.T. Evolution wrote:
Mewberries151 wrote:
D.T. Evolution wrote:
Mewberries151 wrote:

I've mentioned it time and time before, were all lovers of good cartoon shows here. Why not just change the forum into that? For goodness sake, our community will stick around so long as we continue to have a BKO and General Discussion forum. There is little point, in my mind anyway, we still keep sticking to just Code Lyoko when the show is dead and buried and has little chance of ever returning.

Then I think a more prudent solultion would be simply adding a new Sub-Forum dedicated to cartoons, which the Admins/Mods can vote on whether or not to do. I do not see why we have to completely revamp and/or delete the old forum when there is still the possibility of CL Discussion to be had.

On a more personal level, I think changing the forum too much would lose it a lot of it's nostalgic charm and personality, not to mention there is a lot of useful information and links to be found in the CL-related forums that can still be of use or reference.

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MY85 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:11 pm

Wouldn't threads related to cartoons go under General Discussion?

But with the members that like cartoons a lot and they still do, it might not hurt LF to have a new sub-forum for other cartoons.
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby TheLQ » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:59 pm

I find it funny that someone is tring to by a website. The only way to actually buy a website is wait for the domain to expire, and get it immediatly after.

And unless LC dosen't feel like paying the bills anymore (which i am guessing this website is on a shared server, so its around $10-30 a month for quality service), this website will stay and always be LC's, although technically the forum is the product of starway.

Mewberries does have a good point though, if you want to start your own forum, get a webhost, get phpBB, learn how to be an admin of a forum, come up with a good general subject and apply it, and advertise (but not spam) your website on other forums, in your sig, or other places. Eventually if its a good forum you will have a large member base.

And changing the forum drastically isn't a good idea. Some people still want to talk about CL, some people still want to read CL updates. This forum would loose its identify if you changed it drastically.

A new subforum though would be nice. Maybe some other interesting cartoons, movies, topics?
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Jeremified » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Lord.Quackstar wrote:I find it funny that someone is tring to by a website. The only way to actually buy a website is wait for the domain to expire, and get it immediatly after.

Not quite. That's considered domain-squatting IIRC, and it's generally frowned upon. People can buy websites in plenty of ways- Google bought Youtube with a fairly large sum of money, for one example.
thank you all for the good memories <3
Jeremified offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby . » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:18 pm

MY85 wrote:Wouldn't threads related to cartoons go under General Discussion?

But with the members that like cartoons a lot and they still do, it might not hurt LF to have a new sub-forum for other cartoons.

true. that would satisfy me enough, I mean aren't we all pretty much animated junkies?

DC Animated Universe > All comic books
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:27 pm

No, not really.

To be honest, Lyoko Freak is Lyoko Freak. Assuming that, by some ridiculous chance you did happen to happen upon a site like LF, and you did manage to buy it, and change it into a... 'dream centered on cartoons' then, well, it wouldn't have that base anymore. It's too unrelated.

Lemme put it this way. Imagine if all of a sudden one of the admins decided, in a fit of passion, to turn this website into a shrine to High School Musical and Hannah Montana.
Would you post?
No, because I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to post there, judging from what I know of you, Piper.

But really, setting up your own website is the way to go! You'll be able to learn alll the tricks of the trade, manage it all how you want, and you'll build your dreamsite from the ground up!

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby . » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:49 am

AngelBolt wrote:No, not really.

To be honest, Lyoko Freak is Lyoko Freak. Assuming that, by some ridiculous chance you did happen to happen upon a site like LF, and you did manage to buy it, and change it into a... 'dream centered on cartoons' then, well, it wouldn't have that base anymore. It's too unrelated.

Lemme put it this way. Imagine if all of a sudden one of the admins decided, in a fit of passion, to turn this website into a shrine to High School Musical and Hannah Montana.
Would you post?
No, because I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to post there, judging from what I know of you, Piper.

But really, setting up your own website is the way to go! You'll be able to learn alll the tricks of the trade, manage it all how you want, and you'll build your dreamsite from the ground up!

I would if the Hannah Montana site was about how hot she was...
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Carth » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:19 pm

D.T. Evolution wrote:

Would you post?

I think you missed the point. Which, by the way, was "no".

<s>AngelBolt! It's great to see you! Do you mind if I chain you to a chair so that you might not escape?</s>
Carth offline

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:21 pm

Carth wrote:
D.T. Evolution wrote:

Would you post?

I think you missed the point. Which, by the way, was "no".

<s>AngelBolt! It's great to see you! Do you mind if I chain you to a chair so that you might not escape?</s>

ugh, that kid makes me throw up in my mouth a little...

<s>My my Carth, haven't you grown into a sadist? Alas, my last chain juuust broke, you'll just have to trust me to hang aorund</s>

And just as a reminder, I'm always lurking. Always.

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby Carth » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:41 pm

AngelBolt wrote:ugh, that kid makes me throw up in my mouth a little...

<s>My my Carth, haven't you grown into a sadist? Alas, my last chain juuust broke, you'll just have to trust me to hang aorund</s>

And just as a reminder, I'm always lurking. Always.

<s>Sorry if I came across as a bit creepy, but it's lonelier here now. :(</s>
Carth offline