Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:29 am

6 Ways to Earn Respect on Lyokofreak

This is a forum for anything directly connected to this website. This is NOT for Code Lyoko discussion

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

6 Ways to Earn Respect on Lyokofreak

Postby Carth » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:46 pm

Okay, uh...after being here for almost two years, I've noticed several things about the people of this forum who I most appreciate. They're NOT rules (I have no authority to make those- only the admins do. But, I guess they're good tips. Or something.

1. Use proper grammar.This is not only a rule that you should be doing in the first place, but very good advice. Grammar was made so that writing could be legible and interesting. This applies, amazingly enough, on the Internet as well. If you have good grammar, it automatically attracts the eye, even for new members. (Trust me, guys, the userbars mean nothing. Much.)

Of course, bad grammar is funny as a joke. TEH LOLZ :D

Also, forming paragraphs, instead of putting everything in a heap, makes things interesting, as they give us time to swallow an idea before moving on to something else.

2. Make your posts interesting to read. This is an important one to read. There are certain people whose posts i'm excited to read, because their ideas are so intriguing and amusing. Come up with new, but feasible, ideas, and insert a joke here and there...it's little, but it works.

3. Contribute to the conversation. Biggy here. Small, one or two sentence posts saying "Thanks" or "I agree" hardly contribute. If that's basically what you're saying, introduce something else in the same post. Or, at least, don't make it a habit. And if you have an idea, just don't leave it at a sentence- expand on it. Personally, I eat up detail.

4. Have personality. This is important. Stating your opinion and leaving is nice, but it gives us no impression of who you are. Know your limits, but be more three-dimensional. Be the human that you are.

5. Try and be as intelligent as you can. Unless you're making a joke or something. Unlike most public schools, intelligence is respected here. :D It's how progress is made, and people that make progress are awesome. Of course, if you're genuinely stupid, or think you are, just try as hard as you can. :D For example, don't flip out because someone supports a different pairing/idea than you, or an episode didn't go exactly as you planned. Word of objection being you. Be mature, and deal with difference.

6. At least pretend you're having fun. This may sound worn many times over- positive environment is nurturing and stuff like that- but it really kinda works. Uh, yeah.

That's what I have. Does...anyone agree? Hate it?
Carth offline

Postby YDV » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:17 pm

....*MAJOR CONFIRM*

YDV-chan approves. <3 We needed one of these.
BEHHHH
YDV offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Re: 6 Ways to Earn Respect on Lyokofreak

Postby Kamekai » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:30 pm

Carth wrote:5. Try and be as intelligent as you can. Unless you're making a joke or something. Unlike most public schools, intelligence is respected here. :D It's how progress is made, and people that make progress are awesome. Of course, if you're genuinely stupid, or think you are, just try as hard as you can. :D For example, don't flip out because someone supports a different pairing/idea than you, or an episode didn't go exactly as you planned. Word of objection being you. Be mature, and deal with difference.

This screams Jim-haters. aka Taelia, misha, etc. xD

or Jim-lovers, which it it?
Kamekai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Taelia » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:31 pm

I approve too, espexcially since I usually type really short sentences anyway.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby JesusFreak » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:33 pm

Agreed, this was needed.

To actually follow these (snicker) I will add this to teh conversation: Please don't say u instead of you. PLEASE, I beg of all of you, please!

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby timekitten » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:21 pm

This receives TK's stamp of approval! Now where'd I set that thing...?
ImageImage
timekitten offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby Tangent128 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:32 pm

Good advice for everywhere, really.

Do I have personality?
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Taelia » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:14 pm

This screams Jim-haters. aka Taelia, misha, etc. xD

or Jim-lovers, which it it?

Yeah, I should be a little more mature when it comes to Jim-related topics. After all, he's just a character. ;)
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Gauntlet » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:52 pm

Tangent128 wrote:Good advice for everywhere, really.

Do I have personality?

To be honest, your posts are one of the only ones I really look forward to reading. Yours, KnifeShock's, and Mewberries151's, and a few others, mostly.

Personality? Sure.

As for the thread: meh. This should be common knowledge, but it's not, unfortunately. It's mostly everything in the FAQ, just restated, for the most part, except for 6. I don't want that to come off as accusatory, though.
Gauntlet offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Cassius335 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:16 am

Carth wrote:3. Contribute to the conversation. Biggy here. Small, one or two sentence posts saying "Thanks" or "I agree" hardly contribute. If that's basically what you're saying, introduce something else in the same post. Or, at least, don't make it a habit. And if you have an idea, just don't leave it at a sentence- expand on it. Personally, I eat up detail.

I don't know about this one. Me, I love brevity. And sometimes everything someone wants to say may already have already been said by others.

And "And if you have an idea, just don't leave it at a sentence- expand on it" is EXACTLY the reverse of what A-Xana needs to do... Far too much detail, that boy.
ImageImage
---
"There are advantages in being honest about your own limitations: you gain the right to talk about the limitations of others." - Science of The Discworld 3
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Tekirai » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:20 am

MY NAME IS TEKIRAI MAKUMATSU AND I APROVE OF THIS TOPIC!

*thumbs up*

Most people on here go by most of those already, which is a good thing. x3
Tekirai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Carth » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:29 am

Cassius335 wrote:
Carth wrote:3. Contribute to the conversation. Biggy here. Small, one or two sentence posts saying "Thanks" or "I agree" hardly contribute. If that's basically what you're saying, introduce something else in the same post. Or, at least, don't make it a habit. And if you have an idea, just don't leave it at a sentence- expand on it. Personally, I eat up detail.

I don't know about this one. Me, I love brevity. And sometimes everything someone wants to say may already have already been said by others.

And "And if you have an idea, just don't leave it at a sentence- expand on it" is EXACTLY the reverse of what A-Xana needs to do... Far too much detail, that boy.

Well, there's exceptions to everything. Oopsy. ^^;

Hauntlet wrote:As for the thread: meh. This should be common knowledge, but it's not, unfortunately. It's mostly everything in the FAQ, just restated, for the most part, except for 6. I don't want that to come off as accusatory, though.

But people don't read the FAQ. I've never read the FAQ. (Is the FAQ different from the rules?) So, people need a little...reminding, I guess.

And thanks, everyone! I felt a bit like an idiot when I posted this...good to know i'm not. :)
Carth offline

Postby Taelia » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:55 am

You aren't. Just don't make it too restrictive, for my sake.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TB3 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:50 am

(steeples fingers and nods)

These guidelines please me, yessssss...

(cackles evilly) ;)
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Taelia » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:12 pm

(rolls eyes)

Anyway, I agree with one of the rules, but again, do NOT make these so restrictive. I'm already hating Wikipedia as it is.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby MY85 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:29 pm

Carth wrote:2. Make your posts interesting to read. This is an important one to read. There are certain people whose posts i'm excited to read, because their ideas are so intriguing and amusing. Come up with new, but feasible, ideas, and insert a joke here and there...it's little, but it works.

This one can differ a lot according to the own poster. What you may interesting, i may find it boring. Or what I find interesting, other will disagree with me. You can't change that.

Carth wrote:6. At least pretend you're having fun. This may sound worn many times over- positive environment is nurturing and stuff like that- but it really kinda works. Uh, yeah.

I'm having trouble with this own rule. Pretending is something not real IMO, it's just an act.

The other stuff I can agree with, though. Point 6 is kinda insulting...
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:42 pm

TB3 wrote:(steeples fingers and nods)

(cackles evilly) ;)

Come on... I wanna be an evil genius too! Get off the evil chair for a while! I wanna have a turn! *Pushes TB3*

Wonderful job, Carth. I'm so glad you thought of this!

And so make it fun! There's nothing wrong with that if you're the creator instead of the creation.

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby zex marquise » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:31 am

AngelBolt wrote:
TB3 wrote:(steeples fingers and nods)

(cackles evilly) ;)

Come on... I wanna be an evil genius too! Get off the evil chair for a while! I wanna have a turn! *Pushes TB3*

It's never too late to join us. Muahahahahahahaha. *sips tea*

I like these guidelines. I think they're good tutorial for forumite first-timers. Although, you should add a guideline about being too hyper. That was a big problem for me my first two weeks. The Teebs would know all about that ^^. I wonder if that's why I still don't have BKO access... hmm...

"Of course, if you're genuinely stupid, or think you are, just try as hard as you can."<--This is my favorite part. Such wisdom. The genuinely stupid lol :*D .
My other car is a gundam.
zex marquise offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby JesusFreak » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:26 pm

At least pretend your having fun? How can you not have fun here?!

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby Taelia » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:36 pm

Yeah! How can you NOT have fun in a place like this?!
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Jeremified » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:55 pm

I absolutely agree with everything on this. I've been trying to do most of the stuff on this list since before it was made (except I could work on personality).
thank you all for the good memories <3
Jeremified offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:29 pm

Don't worry, personality and style work into things as you post. That's all!

We're all so proud of you Carth! *Hugs*

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby Carth » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:16 pm

MakeYourself85 wrote:
Carth wrote:2. Make your posts interesting to read. This is an important one to read. There are certain people whose posts i'm excited to read, because their ideas are so intriguing and amusing. Come up with new, but feasible, ideas, and insert a joke here and there...it's little, but it works.

This one can differ a lot according to the own poster. What you may interesting, i may find it boring. Or what I find interesting, other will disagree with me. You can't change that.

Carth wrote:6. At least pretend you're having fun. This may sound worn many times over- positive environment is nurturing and stuff like that- but it really kinda works. Uh, yeah.

I'm having trouble with this own rule. Pretending is something not real IMO, it's just an act.

The other stuff I can agree with, though. Point 6 is kinda insulting...

I think I meant it as a joke...I'm sorry if you found it insulting, and I can see where it would backfire :P

And like I said, these are merely things i've noticed. NOT RULES. (Except the first, but you all knew that, riiiight?) You don't have to have fun if you don't want to, and if you really aren't having fun, you reserve the right to complain. :D

@AB- Really...thankies! Uh, yeah. :)
Carth offline