Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:05 pm

Gonna be gone again...

This is a forum for anything directly connected to this website. This is NOT for Code Lyoko discussion

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Postby Star Way » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:26 am

Hahaha. You guys crack me up. XD

To answer questions (I'm sorry, no time to make the quotes): I have made Linii a mod in each category because there is no 'global mod', only a site admin, which gives an unnessessary amount of power to the user. (I only need one admin.)

I have made her a co-mod to already modded forums just because I trust her very much and I believe that should an incedent occur in these forums that the main mod cannot act upon for whatever reason, she would be there to fix it. In the same sense, I am considering assigning two mods to each forum for this kind of insurance... but no one volunteer yet, I'm only thinking. (This would only be for when I was away, in any case.)

I love all of my mods, but I feel like the best way to make Lyoko Freak a fun and kid-safe forum (where necessary) is to assign back-up leadership. I'm one girl and I can't afford to spend the time it takes to keep everyone in-line... that's why it's so important that other people can help me. :)
Don't bother sending me messages or anything, I'm not in charge of the site anymore.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby GOGOLINIICHAN! » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:05 am

Aww, thanks, Erynn! I know I may not be the best mod but I try (and am getting better at it). You know that anytime you need me to do something, I'll be here. =D
I <3 Stephen
[icon by meee, liniichan@lj]
GOGOLINIICHAN! offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby MY85 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:10 am

Heil Erynn!! This forum ain't the same thing without her, right my freaky darlings?
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby Stephen (x1) » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:09 pm

Umm Erynn, I've been helping out Linii while you're gone...Right, Linii?
What will you remember me for?

Stephen (x1) offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Star Way » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:39 pm

The point is that you help each other, not just her helping you.
Don't bother sending me messages or anything, I'm not in charge of the site anymore.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby Stephen (x1) » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:09 pm

What? You confuse... Yeah she help and I help and help we do...

Stephen (x1) offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GOGOLINIICHAN! » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:16 pm

Yes, Erynn, x1 helps me out all of the time. Surprisingly, he is extremely observant. If you ever decide to get more mods for any reason, I recommend him as #1. =D
I <3 Stephen
GOGOLINIICHAN! offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Star Way » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:37 pm

I see. :)

I was thinking of hiring some non-CL fans to mod... when you aren't friends with the people you're in charge of, it's a lot easier to get people to do what they're supposed to do.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby Stephen (x1) » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:09 pm

Oh what so now I'm your friend?!

Linii wrote:Surprisingly, he is extremely observant.

What exactly does that mean? That I seem to be just some random wise crack who has no sense of anything who just does without thought? Wow.............where did that come from? Must've been Adam...I swear, it wasn't me!

Stephen (x1) offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MY85 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:03 pm

Erynn.... and why on earth would you hire mods?? Let me say that is really absurd. We don't want this to go all TvTome, don't we?
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby Mewberries151 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:37 pm

That does sound TV Tome-ish (neutral on whether that's a good or bad thing) but the logic sounds right.

Using TV Tome as an example at the CL forums, Gino was our editor. He hardly ever posted or took part in conversations so he didn't exactly become friends with any of the members. But none the less, he did a very good job at keeping the boards free of spam, and more or less of us respected his opinions on what should be locked and what didn't have to be.

Now take LyokoFreak...say I was put in charge and made a mod (a bad idea, I'd make a terrible mod ^^ ). Since I know most of you from TV Tome and alot of you are my friends I'd be more likely to let things slide, ignore certain things, etc., and when action would be taken, there's always the chance of the "Gee Mewberries, I thought you were my friend. Why didn't you let me do this?" sort of thing happening (not saying that would happen, this is all entirely hypothetical). But a person with no connections to us wouldn't have any of the friendship ties and would (hopefully) simply go by the rules as closely as possible as they're hired.

*looks at paragraph* I don't know...It makes sense asking outside people to mod by the rules to avoid all the possible hitches that can happen by friendly moderation...but we're pretty responsible and smart enough to avoid them on our own too. Hmmmm...
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Star Way » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:44 pm

I don't think you understand. If what you mean by going TvTome is that there could actually be rules enforced here, I'm very sorry you see it that way. The problem with having mods that are friends with the other users is that when the other users ignore the rules, they just let it slip. If the mods have no connection to the other members, it's much easier for them to say, 'okay, you need to stop' (or the like).

Rules need to be enforced around here. That's not my decision. There is a government LAW called the Child Protection Act that says that all websites containing material deemed inappropriate for children (people under 13) cannot be permitted to join the site. (Or their parents agree to let them get on.) This site has only one forum that I restrict kids from looking at, and we all know where that is.

Now I'm not saying I'm perfect and that I always bust people breaking the rules... in fact, it's usually just the opposite. That's why I need other people to help me. As the admin, my duties are not in the least limited to just keeping people in-line. That is part of it, but I've also got to keep this website alive and well.

Another thing, though. And this is very important. If I do this, it won't be for a very long time! If you read my last post and thought I'd have new mods tomorrow, you were very much mistaken. This is for the future, when the site is larger and harder to keep up with. The web is full of trolls and spammers and eventually we'll have to learn to deal with those people. That's when I'd be seriously considering this.

So.... in a nutshell... chill out dudes.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby Yizzy » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:46 pm

[edit]nvm you guys post to fast -_-
Last edited by Yizzy on Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[icon by trying@lj]
Yizzy offline

Postby MY85 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:03 pm

*reads Erynn's and Mew's posts* Ok, I get it.

Neutrality... yep, Gino in that sense was very good. But I think he didn't enjoyed his forum (on a way Erynn does, I think), which really sucks. Although he was boirng and lame, he tried to keep it off spam as most as possible, reason why some of us disliked him and we tried to go off-topic 'cause we didn't had anything else to talk about. I'm really glad for the random section. Even if Gino created Distance, it wasn't good 'cause literally, it was like TvTome, but for off-topic talk.

TvTome had its forum to go off-topic, but what Gino and others didn't understand (from my point of view) is that it isn't the same thing talking to other people than to the ones you know and we call family. A spam board with a name like "Kadic lobby" ould have been ok, don't you think?

And if there's gonna be a CL Season 3, believe me when I say we're going to pass the same things, like going off topic and getting bored and into fights (I hope the last one not...)... part of internet-life...

*looks above* I think this post of mine doesn't make sense.
MY85 offline

Postby Mewberries151 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:46 pm

I'm having trouble getting my posts to make sense today too...must be the alignment of the stars or something. ^^;

I still think Gino was an improvement for the CL TV Tome forums. Hardly anyone remembers when Lizzie4Worshiper was the editor and the forum had regular spam, swearing, and stuff innappropriate for a kids show. This isn't anyone's fault, it's just something that happened, but I do think Gino was a much better "editor".

"Distance" was about the best Gino could do about the "spam" issue. TV Tome didn't have the capacity to have sanctioned off forums (like BKO here) and threads made for spam, by TV Tome rules, were not allowed period. TV Tome had had a lot of media coverage (web news articles about it, and the like) and was very, very, popular with all types of visitors stopping by and looking in and the like. The WebMaster, I'm guessing, didn't want to lose viewers with spam, and all that other stuff so he forbid it entirely. I'm beginning to think that editors who didn't keep their forums in check either had their forums locked (like at the TT and KND forums) or lost their editor position (which is what I believe happened to Lizzie4Worshiper).

Gino created "Distance" in the hopes that everyone from TV Tome who wanted to chat off-topic would go there instead of posting it at TV Tome. I believe one could only access the link through the CL TV Tome forums (unless one had copied the URL) as I've only ever seen TV Tome people there, and the only place I've ever seen the direct link is at the TV Tome forum. So it was kind of like a "spam board"...it just was called "Distance" instead of something CL-related which might have worked better. ^^

The only thing I think Gino should have done (and which Kagetsu did very well) was advertise "Distance" in a last post on the threads he was about to lock for off-topic-ness and spam. It also might have helped if he'd put the link in his "sticky" thread "The Issue of Chatting and Spamming". That way everyone would have had a front page way to get to Distance under an appropriate thread.

Spam is a really tough issue to deal with, I'm sure. And I'm pretty sure that acting as Editor or Admin is no piece of cake, especially when dealing with spam. It's really hard to be in charge and not have people disliking you or something on those lines, because that's what happens with authority and any kind of leadership position. It's sad, but sort of true. In between seasons, there's going to be spam and stuff, but keeping it under control is what might lure in new people and keep the old people from leaving. They're not going to exactly want to join a TV show forum filled with fights, and spam, and inappropriate content right up front, because they may not feel comfortable or agree with that kind of stuff.

I don't know...these are just my views on this kind of thing...and again, I don't think my sentences are linking very well together...and I sure hope I haven't made anyone completely cross-eyed from reading these overly long posts. ^^; I have a tendency to over elaborate and go way off on a tangent. X)

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Stephen (x1) » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:20 pm

Erynn wrote:If the mods have no connection to the other members, it's much easier for them to say, 'okay, you need to stop' (or the like).

Not meaning to brag, but I have no problem with telling people to stop...In fact I quite like telling off people I know.

Mew wrote:Hardly anyone remembers when Lizzie4Worshiper was the editor and the forum had regular spam, swearing, and stuff innappropriate for a kids show.

Ah, Lizzie...What a b***h she was. And I don't think it was Lizzie McGuire she worshipped...I think it was Lizzie Borden...

Stephen (x1) offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MY85 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:26 pm

x1 wrote:
Mew wrote:Hardly anyone remembers when Lizzie4Worshiper was the editor and the forum had regular spam, swearing, and stuff innappropriate for a kids show.

Ah, Lizzie...What a b***h she was. And I don't think it was Lizzie McGuire she worshipped...I think it was Lizzie Borden...

Haaaaa!!
MY85 offline

Postby GOGOLINIICHAN! » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:21 pm

x1 wrote:What exactly does that mean? That I seem to be just some random wise crack who has no sense of anything who just does without thought? Wow.............where did that come from? Must've been Adam...I swear, it wasn't me!

Whoa! I gave you like the biggest compliment ever and recommended your services to Erynn and you like.. flip out on me! The comment wasn't meant as an insult, so I'm sorry if it sounded that way, but jeez..
I <3 Stephen
GOGOLINIICHAN! offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Stephen (x1) » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:47 pm

Really sorry about that! Thankz for the complyiz tho!

Stephen (x1) offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MY85 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:28 am

Reading Erynn's post again with more seriousness, 'cause basically I was replying to Mew.

Erynn wrote:Rules need to be enforced around here. That's not my decision. There is a government LAW called the Child Protection Act that says that all websites containing material deemed inappropriate for children (people under 13) cannot be permitted to join the site. (Or their parents agree to let them get on.) This site has only one forum that I restrict kids from looking at, and we all know where that is.

Oh, I see. Since mostly people from USA post here, this law will have to be respected. I do understand their concern for little kids when the surf the net and might see other stuff. This site is far from being something dangerous.

But if there's some decision that must be taken here, it would be making the Games part exclusive for LF members. I know I'm the mod there, and people kinda get somehow wacky and violent (myself included), and some words, even if we put the * on it, I think it has to be LF exclusive. I'm thinking I'm doing a bad role of being the Games Mod (the only thing I'm doing well, or almost well is to keep the count on the Hug/Flirt/Smack topic)...

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your words... unless your words was to Mew. Then I might feel dumb.

On the other hand, I think Gino could do that for us in the future, but he's so busy with his 8 forums at tv.com and other things he might do in his life.
MY85 offline

Postby Mewberries151 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:50 am

TheBloodyOneIsMe wrote:On the other hand, I think Gino could do that for us in the future, but he's so busy with his 8 forums at tv.com and other things he might do in his life.

Yeah, Gino's pretty swamped. Most of the editors and mods there seem to be pretty swamped with keeping the site together. I feel really sorry for them. He might yet do that though. He might even have done it, but it might be on "pending" status still. There seems to be alot of trouble with that there. ^^;

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MY85 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:58 am

But, in fact, the only site worthy (ffrom my point of view) that Gino owns is the CL one at tv.com, and other 2 he runs as well... I wonder which one of his shows he finds very priceless...
MY85 offline

Postby Star Way » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:05 pm

x1 wrote:
Erynn wrote:If the mods have no connection to the other members, it's much easier for them to say, 'okay, you need to stop' (or the like).

Not meaning to brag, but I have no problem with telling people to stop...In fact I quite like telling off people I know.

I know you're a good mod, x1. I've seen you do some very helpful things around here, and I don't doubt Linii's kind words about you in the least.

But as much as all of that's true, no one's perfect, and I really would like to get some non-chatty mods in here. Because when you're a mod or an admin, you cannot afford to get into fights with other users. I've seen you fight before, and while that was (I think entirely) on BKO, it's still bothersome. Mods with no connections to the other users wouldn't have that problem--- plus, the users would come to have a greater sense of respect for them.

In response to the discussion of the TvTome editors, (namely Gino) I think I have to say the fact that he was taking on like (what was it? 8?) positions as editor was killing the forums and the members. He should have really tried to give up some of those shows to other people who were willing to take on editor responsibilities, so that his workload would be lighter and he would be able to take care of spam/etc more efficiently.

Under the circumstances, though, I think he got rid of most of the spam... so you can't *really* complain about it...

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby MY85 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:28 pm

Erynn wrote:In response to the discussion of the TvTome editors, (namely Gino) I think I have to say the fact that he was taking on like (what was it? 8?) positions as editor was killing the forums and the members. He should have really tried to give up some of those shows to other people who were willing to take on editor responsibilities, so that his workload would be lighter and he would be able to take care of spam/etc more efficiently.

Under the circumstances, though, I think he got rid of most of the spam... so you can't *really* complain about it...

He got rid of most of the spam, yes... but he couldn't SOLVE the fights. All he did was give a warning to one person, but not to the other contender (mostly, the Dylan-SamBlob fight as first reference; that fight started before I came and SamBlob took it to anohter level, then all hell set loose, but Gino only warned Dylan, not SamBlob. I'm not the right person to discuss this thing, but Gino doesn't see when SamBlob taunts others). And locking the threads with the fights wasn't the full solution to it. Literally, few obeyed him, and at least we all broke the rules more than once.

There has to be some reason for Gino to take over 8 sites at tv.com, I'll ask him (or someone else can do it) that one of these days.

Btw, this is LF's 13000th post!!! Woooot!!!
MY85 offline

Postby Mewberries151 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:49 pm

TheBloodyOneIsMe wrote:He got rid of most of the spam, yes... but he couldn't SOLVE the fights. All he did was give a warning to one person, but not to the other contender (mostly, the Dylan-SamBlob fight as first reference; that fight started before I came and SamBlob took it to anohter level, then all hell set loose, but Gino only warned Dylan, not SamBlob. I'm not the right person to discuss this thing, but Gino doesn't see when SamBlob taunts others). And locking the threads with the fights wasn't the full solution to it. Literally, few obeyed him, and at least we all broke the rules more than once.

Solving fights is really something only those involved in the fight itself can do. An editor can give warnings and ask people to stop, but there's little he can do to physically force them to stop fighting other than banning both fighters...and that doesn't solve it either. The editor's there to oversee things...he can't be the parent. Fights can only be stopped by those involved.

In defense of SamBlob, the fight with Dylan did indeed go back to before you came (no fault of yours, of course). It actually started with a post by a member known as "AGAFUGIE" who, for no reason at all, posted a thread saying he and a few other members were leaving for good, in the same breath calling everyone at TV Tome a bunch of losers with no lives (in slightly more colorful language, I think) and that TV Tome was a total waste of internet space. As you can imagine, this post made a lot of people angry, myself and SamBlob included (this was also what started his distaste for "goodbye" threads, I'm most sure). Well, what happened next was that Dylan wrote his own goodbye post (his first then, I believe), saying he agreed more or less with AGAFUGIE: TV Tome was becoming boring for him and that for him spending time on a site like it was pretty lame.

Now while both AGAFUGIE's and Dylan's posts were eventually deleted, the insult was still their in mind. I hadn't appreciated it very much, and SamBlob really didn't at all either. This was the start of the disputes, since later, when Dylan came back, he was still very...aggressive in his posts. A fight about whether or not TS was like CL got him very hot under the collar, and whenever anyone so much as didn't entirely agree with his views he got very defensive and seemed to take it very personally. And unfortunately, SamBlob didn't agree very much with his views, and would tell him so. Not a very good combination. ^.-

So that's where that fight began. I'm not trying to make anyone look more right than the other, but the history is there. As for SamBlob's taunting...I tend to take them with a grain of salt, as the saying goes (I know it's not really fair of me to say that since I've never been taunted, but on reading closely, most of his taunts seem to have a jovial tone behind them, at least for me, anyway... ). Expecially those to Vili, who in his journal entries he's referred to as the little brother he never had. ;) He is sarcastic, that much is for sure, and occasionally cynical, but he's really a very nice person. And very well learned! :D

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext