Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:01 am

A well written essay on a disturbing topic in CL

General original series discussion (Seasons 1-4)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

A well written essay on a disturbing topic in CL

Postby TheAppleFreak » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:04 am

We all know how Code Lyoko is (in)famous for all of the crap that it gets past the censorship radars, but it's not all lighthearted content meant for the older viewer. When you look beneath the surface, you'd find that some of the topics that Code Lyoko addresses is downright disturbing. In this essay posted by alemonlemoned on Tumblr, she addresses and discusses one of the most disturbing of them all.

The themes discussed in this essay may be disturbing to some readers. Reader discretion advised.

I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Re: A remarkably well written essay on one of CL's more dist

Postby Stonecreek » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:59 am

Very well-thought-out article there. It made for some intriguing reading. Powerful is a bit too strong a word for it, because obviously the writer is taking only certain instances and the(mainly) the actions of one character. However, despite CL being a "kids" show, this stuff seems to have been either consciously or subconsciously put in by the creators. What that means for the culture overall, who knows. All I know is that it kept my attention throughout and made me think very in-depth on CL, which is something I had not done for a good long time.

Also, the topic title seems to be too long.

YDV wrote:Well you see, the amount of time we didn't normally hang around BKO is kind of like potential energy, and then when we all finally came back at the same time it's like letting loose a catapult. 8D

It's all very scientifical. |D

Ah, memories...
http://z10.invisionfree.com/Anime_and_M ... hp?act=idx
Stonecreek offline

Re: A well written essay on a disturbing topic in CL

Postby Cassius335 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:56 pm

Eh, I think she's overreading it.

Spoiler: show
While I see how Williams actions can be considered creepy, calling the Ulrich/William/Yumi triangle "rape culture" is a tad harsh on Ulrich. Two boys fighting over a girl is a standard romance trope; I wonder if the writer would describe two girls fighting over a boy so harshly.

Also, I'm assuming that if William had pushed too hard, Yumi would have gone Pen-chak-silat on his ass.
ImageImage
---
"There are advantages in being honest about your own limitations: you gain the right to talk about the limitations of others." - Science of The Discworld 3
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Re: A well written essay on a disturbing topic in CL

Postby Snickie » Fri May 10, 2013 8:10 pm

Wow, first day here and I've already broken a rule. Oops.
Considering the nature and rating of this post, I'm going to put the content in spoiler tags.
Spoiler: show
I find this a very enlightening way of answering some of the questions I posed on XL after finding and posting a link to this webpage. It's basically detailing sexual conquest in France and Chile and how they compare to the United States' slang and "degrees" of sexual conquest (i.e. first base, second base, etc), and, of course, names some stuff and has some bad language.

Which begs the question as to how far William wanted to go with Yumi and makes some of the other episodes quite, um, interestingish. I'm hungry and I can't think of a better word. Interestingish will have to do.
Snickie offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet