Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

The Philosophy/Mythology of Code Lyoko

General original series discussion (Seasons 1-4)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

The Philosophy/Mythology of Code Lyoko

Postby TB3 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:17 pm

The creators of Code Lyoko have, as we know, drawn on many and disparate sources to create their world (Phillip K Dick, anyone?).

So, let's go-a-questing - what myths, legends, stories and ideas can we find reflected (or reflecting) in CL.

To kick things off, here's a description of one of the cards of the Tarot, the Hermit, that made me think of Franz:

The Hermit is the arcana of silence and absolute darkness. By proxy, it is the card of introspection and solitude, of experience and years upon one's own. The Hermit walks with his cane and his lantern, illuminating the way to come (Franz is the engine of the plot). He is draped in a protective cape, so he's sealed away from the worries of the world (Lyoko, The Factory, are Franz's cape). He carries no majesty, no power (he was a humble science teacher and father) - and yet his infinite wisdom, deeper than the High Priestess' or the Hierophant's, is everything he needs (Franz's genius and the solace he took in it is unquestionable). Part of the goal of the Hermit is to find the peace and redemption he seeks (Anthea, redemption for Carthage), so he can face the world and ultimately discard the alienating cape (leave Lyoko and be reunited). He withdraws away from the world so he can search within himself the truths he seeks (2546 days reliving June 6th 1994 alone, developing his ideas). But if withdrawn too long, the cape is no longer a shield but a prison, sealing the Hermit off from the world forever (he vested so much in Lyoko/XANA that it became his prison), thus forfeiting the promise of spiritual and physical growth (Franz never became a character beyond what we saw in his diaries - his existance was fixed in the show as the 'save Aelita' plot device).

He is the mysterious man waiting at the gate of the castle to hand the Fool the weapon needed to slay the dragon (without his input, Jeremy would never have slain XANA via the Multi-Agent-Program). As the last of the first cycle of the Major Arcana, the Hermit marks the final point before the Fool is shunted away by the power of the Wheel of Fortune into another adventure (Franz's appearances in Seasons 2 and 3 almost always marked the end of the episode block, looping round to the next Season). His is the gift of perfect darkness, to dance between the barriers of alchemy, magic and science (how perfect a descriptor). While his passive nature normally is peaceful (he always seemed mild-mannered), he is, ultimately, a guardian of the gate, its destruction key to the integral closure of the circle so the Fool can truly move on to the next step (Carthage, Franz's own death, etc). Hiding in the dark recesses of his mind, he must come out, not only to face the world, but to allow the light to shine upon him, and truly reach enlightenment (Franz came out of hiding to save Aelita and end XANA, and paid for it with his life - but in so doing transcended his prison and became 'free' in death).

Hope this gets some ideas flowing! :)

Who's next? :)
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Taelia » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:52 pm

Sissi. How did she get her name?
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby knifey » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:35 am

Taelia wrote:Sissi. How did she get her name?
How is name origination related to philosophy/mythology?

'Cause I'm dying to know. Enlighten me.

plz?
:hatguy: pew pew lazorz
psn profile
knifey offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Taelia » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:11 pm

My guess is that the creators named her after Elisabeth of Bavaria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisabeth_of_Bavaria
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby JesusFreak » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:55 pm

knifey wrote:
Taelia wrote:Sissi. How did she get her name?
How is name origination related to philosophy/mythology?

'Cause I'm dying to know. Enlighten me.

plz?

OOH! I GOT THIS ONE!

Sissi's constant attempts to weasel into the group and take Yumi's place in Ulrich's eyes can be compared to Sisyphus, who was sentenced to push a large boulder up a mountain in the Greek equivalent of Hell, the Fields of Punishment, over and over. The boulder was cursed to always fall to its starting place, and whatever positive progress Sissi makes towards her goal is destroyed when a RTTP is triggered. At least, any progress she remembers.

Sisyphus chained Thanatos, the Grim Greek Reaper up, and the natural order was thrown out of balance. Sissi alerted the authorities to the Supercomputer's exsistence, and would of denied the events of the whole show, and our view of the show's natural order. Yeah, that's a stretch.

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby knifey » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:46 pm

lmao I never thought I'd be laughing from a cl discussion thread.

I'd rep JF if there was a rep system, for the record.

Taelia wrote:My guess is that the creators named her after Elisabeth of Bavaria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisabeth_of_Bavaria
That doesn't answer my question. How does that relate to philosophy/mythology?
:hatguy: pew pew lazorz
psn profile
knifey offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Taelia » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:42 pm

Sorry. I was just trying to make segway.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Rho » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:21 am

Taelia wrote:Sorry. I was just trying to make segway.

So was Jimi Heselden.
"english isnt his first language, leave him alone. im more upset at people that have been speaking english their whole lives and cant write a readable sentence."
http://www.formspring.me/rholf
Presenting..the REAL Jean-Pierre Delmas!
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Taelia » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:09 pm

So anyway, are Jim and Sissi connected to any Tarot characters?
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Gadget » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:27 pm

This sounds like fun, Ok here’s my thoughts. What about the name Xana, ever wonder where that came from.

Back before code lyoko was well code lyoko, The show was called Garage Kids (I know many of you have heard of this already). In that they did not go to lyoko they went to a place called “Xanaduâ€
Gadget offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby JesusFreak » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:02 pm

Also, the name Ulrich Stern.

I think his name has meaning because:

Ulrich is old English for "Wolf Power", according to a name meaning site I googled (zelo.com). And he's like, fast and strong and crap.

And Stern is because he's always so stern.

Edited for sanity

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby Taelia » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:58 pm

Stern is also the German word for a star.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby JesusFreak » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:23 am

Taelia wrote:Stern is also the German word for a star.

So his name is "Wolf-Power Star"?

That....is incredibly awesome.

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Taelia » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:59 am

yup, it is VERY awesome, :)
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak