Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:30 am

CL Novels: Now being Fanslated

General original series discussion (Seasons 1-4)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Postby Carth » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:46 am

Mewberries151 wrote:SL, I would honestly prefer that you not.

Considering that we're still in the process of figuring out how to fully translate and upload these novels, revealing things before everything is set-up and ready is <b>not</b> a good idea, IMO.

People will find out eventually anyway. Honestly, if they have no idea about the novels "at all" why not show them the public links that have been posted here that are officially from Moonscoop and Atlantyca? That is official and non-protected information that anyone can gain access to.

Please understand that we'd really like to handle the release of this project in a careful manner, and that the Admins (particularly TB3) with Aqua's help are working quickly to come to an agreement on it.

To put it bluntly, we are handling it our own way and we would kindly appreciate it if you did not help except in the way Mew said you could by giving 'em links. Thank you.
Carth offline

Postby SearchingLyoko » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:56 am

yeah. basically what I was saying is that i would be saying that a fanslation is in progress, it's inter-forum, give a brief summary, then tell them that to find out more there would be links in the sidebar (which would come here).

But yeah... i figured it miiight be a little early. I've mentioned fanslation before, but I haven't given any specifics. That's why I asked here before doing it.
SearchingLyoko Delenda Est.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby Mewberries151 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:19 am

SearchingLyoko∞ wrote:yeah. basically what I was saying is that i would be saying that a fanslation is in progress, it's inter-forum, give a brief summary, then tell them that to find out more there would be links in the sidebar (which would come here).

But yeah... i figured it miiight be a little early. I've mentioned fanslation before, but I haven't given any specifics. That's why I asked here before doing it.

Yeah. No. Thank you for asking, because we definitely would not appreciate this project getting leaked before we have it set-up. You wouldn't appreciate someone doing that to one of your projects after all. I don't tink anyone would.

But again, no. If you <b>must</b> share something, use only the public Atlantyca links found towards the beginning and middle of this thread. Those are public-domain anyway and not "privacy protected" so they are free for anyone to view or link. Do not mention that there is a fanslation in process, nor that LF has any connection to a project like that as we are still figuring out exactly what we want to do with the material.
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SearchingLyoko » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:41 am

That's why I was asking... yet again.

But I do plan to talk about Atlantyca stuff.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby Lyoko Wario » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:25 am

Hey!! It's your ol' pal Planet Cool / DA Freak again!!

So, these babies are finally being fanslated, huh? Well, that's just swell! I'm down. Can ya dig it? Word!

Big thanks to TB3, Lani, and anyone else involved. I'll be glad to keep up with the news as they develop.
Lyoko Wario offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby MY85 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:51 am

SearchingLyoko∞ wrote:Okay, now for the real reason I'm here...

As you guys may or may not know, I run CodeLyokoUnited... which I won't annoy you with here.
So you're here only to advertise your site? I hope you get banned.
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby Cassius335 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:09 pm

Aquatikelfik wrote:Edit : Sorry for the mistake... I mean, for exemple, that the first Odd's virtualisation is on Desert, not on Forest. I don't understand yet why he change this.

Maybe the writer got his eps confused. (Odd's first virtualisation was to the Desert... in the ep TeddyGodzilla, not the chronologically earlier XANA Awakens...)
ImageImage
---
"There are advantages in being honest about your own limitations: you gain the right to talk about the limitations of others." - Science of The Discworld 3
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby SearchingLyoko » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:23 pm

CLU isn't a site My...

And I wasn't. I was asking if I could tell fans who know... and I'm not kidding, next to nothing...

I quote this wikianswers post: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_does_cod ... d_premiere

about the awesomeness of this.

And the answer was that it's too early to tell people about this.

Since I have my answer, I'll keep quiet now.

Good luck TB3, Aqua, and anyone else involved.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby TB3 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:47 pm

Regarding the 'inconsistencies', I suspect that the author watched episodes availible in Italian, and was then briefed on the expanded universe by Moonscoop, who didn't cover all the bases

For example, he clearly understands the rough sequence of events seen in Xana: Awakens, but its more like he was given a brief outline (Jeremie goes hunting for parts to construct a robot in the old factory, activates a supercomputer he finds, and discovers there is a girl inside said computer. He also awakens a malevolent AI that attacks him twice, via a coffee machine and Jeremy's robot. In both cases he is saved by Ulrich, and Jeremy confides in him and takes him to the factory) and then given free reign.

From that, the author (whose full name is so long that in the staffroom we've begun contracting it to Pier) wrote two-and-a-bit chapters, that fill in missing gaps from the show, but which also handle the material in a completely different way from the show. For example, in the book, Jeremie has considerable difficulty getting to grips with the Supercomputer's cumbersome Operating System before he meets Aelita, wheras in the show, all did was turn on the power, cockily ask the supercomputer what it had under its hood, and then hit a random key which happened to call up Aelita's chatbox. Here he's on a learning curve, and by turns obsessed, scared, entranced and romantically entangled. He also dubs her Maya in their first conversation, whereas in the show, that came later

Likewise, when Jeremy takes Ulrich to the factory, in the show its at night and Ulrich mentions them coming through the secret tunnel from Kadic's boiler room. In the book, they do it during the day, go through the manhole in the school grounds, and then stop on the bridge to have quite a lengthy chat about the factory.

On the whole, I prefer Pier's handling of these scenes to what we saw in the show. Jeremy and Aelita's relationship for example, kicks off with several 'aww' moments that honestly tugged at my heartstrings, and Jeremy and Ulrich's chat about the factory reads like a eulogy to Ile Seguin and the real factory, something the show always veered clear of.

On the other hand, one chapter makes repeated references to the Subdigitals, but they seem to be a totally different band to the one we know. The lead singer is a woman for example, who is described as the band's 'founder'. Evidently, Pier was informed that a fictional band called the Subdigitals is really popular in CL's world, but was not informed that the members of said band had actually appeared in the show. In translating it I'm making tweaks here and there to smooth out these inconsistencies, and I'll include footnotes explaining any changes I've made

Now, many of you will asume that from what I've typed that the book is a half-handed rehash of Xana Awakens. Far from it. Lengthy chunks of the book are told in flashback, but there's also a paralell story taking place in the present day. Clearly Pier wanted to keep the story rolling, but also condense the key events from the series and tell them in such a way that new readers, or Italian readers who never got the later seasons, can be quickly brought up to speed. Remember, for them, all of this is new material, and in that light it becomes a lot more interesting

Pier also writes the characters SO BEAUTIFULLY WELL. Jeremie's genius is evident from his internal monologues, XANA becomes strangely sympathetic, Yumi and Ulrich are on best form, Odd's strangeness is captured but also his love for his friends, Aelita is so confused and overwhelmed that you just want to give her a hug, and there's lots of little asides and nods to the fandom that really make this a wonderful read.

Also, not having to secure a Y7 rating for broadcast on Cartoon Network means the dialogue can have a little more venon and punch at times.

Look forward to it! :)
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Carth » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:45 pm

I can vouch for everything he's said, including all the compliments given to Pierdomenico Baccalario (hah! I knew his name off the top of my head). While the translation definitely needs some tightening up stylistically, other than the canon gaps we can't do anything about, Pier definitely knows what he's doing when it comes to making a story and building some characters, even with all the new ones he's bringing in for short intervals. He even manages to make the contra-Subdigitals stand out. His style has a different feel than the show- but it's a good feel. He's definitely trying to make it work, and he's more than good enough to pull it off.

Some bits of it do feel a little uneasy, but that's because they are a pretty sharp departure from Season 4's course. And to tell the truth, I DO like his version of the prequel better. :3c

When will this deliciousness be available? We've locked on a method now...sometime in the next week, but I'm not making definite promises.

P.S.: Out of boredom I spent a few minutes Google-stalking Pier. He has many writing credits (serious ones too) for Atlantyca under his belt, and it looks like he has a lot of experience with what he does. That, and he's not too bad looking for his old. Strange thing is, nowhere is he credited for the CL novels. Considering he's technically "ghostwriting" them, though...

Also, not having to secure a Y7 rating for broadcast on Cartoon Network means the dialogue can have a little more venon and punch at times.

I didn't really notice that- maybe I will later- but the overall content has its :3c moments. Like the fact that this Subdigitals female singer/guitarist, Gardenia, once worked at a restaurant that bears an implied resemblance to Hooter's. And that all evidence she worked there was destroyed when she became famous. And a fanboy unleashes XANA when he opens what he thinks is a picture of her in her uniform. Make of that what you will.
Carth offline

Postby TB3 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:52 pm

Tightening up? I will have you know that my translations are flawlessly perfect! ;)

Lol, point well made Carth, but let me have a pass over them again before pulling out the editing pen of doom :)
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rho » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:30 pm

..Alright. Make these novels into episodes, Moonscoop. Now.
"english isnt his first language, leave him alone. im more upset at people that have been speaking english their whole lives and cant write a readable sentence."
http://www.formspring.me/rholf
Presenting..the REAL Jean-Pierre Delmas!
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby SearchingLyoko » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:58 pm

MoonScoop needs a slap on the head.

Here they are with literary gold... and they have it stuck, in all places... Italy.

Italy!

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Italy. I am part Italian (well, Sicilian...) and Italy kicks some serious (BKO), but to keep these pieces of CL literary gold in a place that hasn't even seen the whole show....

I reinforce my slap.

Oh the magic that could be made from this if MoonScoop actually tried....

Well, here we are, going far saving all that we love. We're giving all we've got and guess what? We're making it through.

Guess Un Monde Sans Danger was right.

Keep up the great work guys.

You almost have me literally watering at the mouth.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby Mewberries151 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:26 am

SearchingLyoko∞ wrote:MoonScoop needs a slap on the head.

Here they are with literary gold... and they have it stuck, in all places... Italy.

Italy!

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Italy. I am part Italian (well, Sicilian...) and Italy kicks some serious (BKO), but to keep these pieces of CL literary gold in a place that hasn't even seen the whole show....

I reinforce my slap.

Um, excuse me? ^^; Why are you Internet-slapping Italy? They don't have anything to do with these books not being distributed to the US, France, etc.

That would be either Moonscoop's fail, or the US for not getting their butt in gear and finding a distributor to translate and sell these books.

Slap them if you want, but seriously, Italy's not at fault here.

...And it wouldn't kill you to order them from Italy, or even, you know, go there and learn the language and culture so you can buy and read the books yourself. Italy is a lovely country. :\

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SearchingLyoko » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:47 am

As a person of Italian descent, I know that.

The slap was directed toward MoonScoop.

The "I reinforce my slap" was saying that I reinforce the fact that MoonScoop needs a slap.

And considering I can't read Italian... ordering the books is useless.

I'm currently learning Latin and Spanish (because a lot of Spanish people live near me)... and I don't have time for Italian as well.

However, I cannot wait for these.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby Mewberries151 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:00 am

SearchingLyoko∞ wrote:As a person of Italian descent, I know that.

The slap was directed toward MoonScoop.

The "I reinforce my slap" was saying that I reinforce the fact that MoonScoop needs a slap.

And considering I can't read Italian... ordering the books is useless.

I'm currently learning Latin and Spanish (because a lot of Spanish people live near me)... and I don't have time for Italian as well.

...I got the Italian descent from your post. ^^ ...But your post <i>really</i> made it sound like you didn't appreciate the fact they were trapped in Italy, as if it were the worst place they could be stuck (and somehow not worthy because they hadn't even had the whole show released there) and that they were keeping the CL books from everyone else...even if the slap wasn't for them.

...Then again, the Internet is lousy when it comes to conveying "tone" and "meaning". >_>;

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SearchingLyoko » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:02 am

Yeah... let's blame it being Lost in Translation.

I'm just saying that for the Cl Novels to be trapped ANYWHERE is terrible.

They need to be free, man!

[/hippie]

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby Lyoko Wario » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:47 pm

I expect there'll be a price for this fanslation? What will it be?
Lyoko Wario offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Carth » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:27 pm

Douglas Adams Freak wrote:I expect there'll be a price for this fanslation? What will it be?

None! It's absolutely free. I'm pretty sure charging money for it would be some side of illegal.

There's been a wiki set up with the translations on it...and once we set up a new subforum (yes, a new subforum!) for discussion of it (we're expecting this to be a big deal after all), all will be happy and free.

Also, you know how CL.fr has those scans of the French CL comics? I've been doing a fanslation of the first one, and it came out pretty well. With some edits, it'll be on the Wiki as well, along with the other four. :3c
Carth offline

Postby SearchingLyoko » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:20 pm

well, if we charged like 5 bucks to view and gave all the money to MoonScoop....

we scratch their back, they scratch ours...

Yeah... that's not gonna happen.

It's nice to dream though.

(But yeah... fans need free. From the people I see on Youtube, the CL fan community doesn't have money.)

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby smiller » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:03 pm

Oh, are you putting the Wiki as a redirect subforum, so that only members can see it? Thats awesome. :D

When do you plan to have it up? *can't wait any longerr!! >w<*
I'LL TRADE MY LEVEL 10 KANKRELAT FOR YOUR LEVEL 27 BLOK!
smiller offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby TB3 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:36 pm

The Wiki is already up - if none of the staff have any objections, we will uplink to it in...21 hours and 30 minutes. 10.00pm GMT on the dot. The first four chapters will be there, ready and waiting

Spread the word, get people stoked, but don't be too blatant - no videos on Youtube and so-on please. We don't want to draw negative attention after all. The new area for discussing the fanslation will (most likely) be open access for a while, we want to encourage people to join LF, not exclude them.
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smiller » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:51 pm

How about a blog on Deviantart? Would that be okay? I want to tell Code Lyoko Group.
smiller offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby TheAppleFreak » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:53 pm

Mind if I spread this news to the (albeit smaller, much smaller) Code Lyoko fancommunity at PokéCommunity through a signature link?
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby smiller » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:57 pm

(Off topic: Oh my gosh, I actually saw you on PokeCommunity before. I was googling "Code Lyoko" and I got a signature from PokeCommunity, and it was actually yours. I am Darkmewham2 on PokeCommunity!)

Also, is anyone going to make sure that no one edits the Wiki..?
smiller offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

PreviousNext