Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:18 am

LTT3 - Rewriting Physics since 2005!

General original series discussion (Seasons 1-4)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Postby Rycr » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:56 pm

Maybe it deleted some data from a web server or something. Then again, data on normal computers isn't stored in ZPS...but ZPS can affect the real world...

I don't think it would have crashed a computer unless it somehow deleted some important files from a server (such as boot files or something).
Rycr offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TB3 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:39 am

My guess is that whatever computers that building is part of crashed - this serves as an illustration of how the Network can be used offensively, and one means by which XANA may have been intended to 'destroy' Project Carthage.
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Taelia » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:05 am

That's true. :)
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Tangent128 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:41 pm

Been a while since the last post...
A quick comment/theory regarding "Wrong Exposure":

So, since Lyoko does in fact have a physical exsistence in ZPS, it makes sense that rebooting the SC doesn't cause it to blink out of exsistence or anything. Would I be justified in guessing the resulting energy wave was the SC sweeping through Lyoko to take stock of what had decayed (and thus needed repair) since it was last shut down? (Obviously, not much Digital Sea errosion could occur in the millisecond or so the SC was off, but it doesn't know that. ;) )

Another question, regarding Aelita's Creativity (liking the new visual effect, btw): Does that power modify Lyoko's terrain directly, or does it instruct the SC's ZPS manipulator to do so? I'm leaning towards the former, as it has been seen working on a Replika, but vehicle materialization works on them too...
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby levicampbell » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:33 pm

I hope I'm not intruding here.

I've been thinking about CL and the tech behind it when I started thinking about the towers.

The towers have 3. specific purposes:

1. process hooks: On most *NIX-based systems, you'll find a directory called /proc where the OS keeps track of each process in use by the system as well as allowing access to each process' memory. In Lyoko, each tower holds a certain number of processes and memory.
2. code libraries: in a season one episode, Jeremie asks Aelita to head to a certian tower to get more information on materialization, this indicates that the specific libraries are held in specific towers.
3. Memory banks: does this need to be explained?

Since towers keep track of the running processes, perhaps activating a tower is as easy as adding a new process to the towers process tables and changing the UID bit of the tower. I don't however, think that the activated tower provides access to the real-world itself, the towers would need either the local way tower or the tower in sector 5 to access the real-world.

______
an idea on how the superscan was created.

Code: Select all
#!/usr/bin/env python

import os
import sys
import gc

gc.enable()

def superScan():
    for x in towers:
        # where towers is a dictionary. example: towers['Mountain"] = [18, 21, 19]
        for y in x:
            if x[y] == u"0x558d3":
                # 0x558d3 is an example.
                raise TowerActivatedError
            else:
                pass
"""
insert GUI code here...
"""
levicampbell offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Tangent128 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:25 pm

I doubt that they have a quantum version of UNIX :nyeh!: ...

But in general, we do think that the Towers serve as staging points for programs. Activation is probably more of an explicit security thing, enabling the Tower to generate spectres.

Towers haven't quite been completely rethought since we concluded that Lyoko physically existed, though. I'm leaning towards viewing them as a network of 41 supercomputers based in ZPS, but TB3 hasn't weighed in much lately.

Oh, and if the screens are taken as evidence, Lyoko runs PHP. :D
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TB3 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:44 pm

Yo guys - baaaaaaaaaaaack (evil laugh)

Well, I'm willing to discuss the towers, if you wanna throw your theories / questions at me :)
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Taelia » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:14 pm

(HUG) Welcome back! I missed you SO MUCH!
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Jeremified » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:45 pm

Where did you go, TB3? You've been gone for quite some time.
thank you all for the good memories <3
Jeremified offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Tangent128 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:59 pm

Ah yes, hello, welcome back. :D

So, a couple Tower questions (and my guesses):
* Why does Code: LYOKO work on the Replika Towers? (Either XANA was lazy and made exact copies, or the LYOKO code is actually an extension of Creativity allowing Aelita to override Towers.)
* Are Towers independent computing nodes, or just stylish control consoles?
* Are spectres generated by the SC or by the Towers?

Also, when using Creativity, does Aelita's Avatar modify the terrain directly, or does the SC modify it?

And how does vehicle materialization on Replikas work?
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Jazzy Josh » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:01 pm

I guess I came back just in time for discussions to take place >.>

And I still have missed various episodes >.>

I wouldn't be suprised if the SC's OS was a heavily modified version of *NIX , even though it was probably built from scratch, probably from assembly language, it would allow Franz to specify exactly what he needed/wanted.

Was the SC Quantum from scratch, or did it gain that from the years Franz kept going back it time?

@Jazzy Josh on Twitter.
Jazzy Josh offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Lyokosui » Fri May 02, 2008 4:58 am

Tangent128 wrote:* Why does Code: LYOKO work on the Replika Towers? (Either XANA was lazy and made exact copies, or the LYOKO code is actually an extension of Creativity allowing Aelita to override Towers.)

Well the Replikas were made from stealing the Keys to Lyoko, which Aelita has. Since he created exact copies of the Lyoko sectors, then the Replika towers would be affected the same way as the Lyoko Towers. There really is no difference between Lyoko and Replika, except for the fact that Replikas only have one sector whereas Lyoko has five. It couldn't be just XANA being lazy, but he couldn't modify the data stolen and had to just work with it.

Tangent128 wrote:* Are Towers independent computing nodes, or just stylish control consoles?

Probably Stylish control consoles because it accepts Code Lyoko, Code XANA, and Aelita ran various programs from within towers...to cite examples Episode 34 "Missing Link" with the Mind Swap program, Episode 51 "Revelation" with Diary decryption.

Tangent128 wrote:* Are spectres generated by the SC or by the Towers?

Generated by the Supercomputer because in Episode 51 "Revelation", XANA created a spectre to imprison Odd and take his place. When the spectre is virtualized onto Lyoko, XANA deactivates the tower and the spectre remains. If the spectre was from the tower, when it was deactivated, the spectre would have blinked out of existence.

Tangent128 wrote:Also, when using Creativity, does Aelita's Avatar modify the terrain directly, or does the SC modify it?

She has the Keys to Lyoko, which allows her to modify the terrain.

Tangent128 wrote:And how does vehicle materialization on Replikas work?

Since they are connected to the Replika via a network connection, vehicles materialization is sent through a user-inputted command and sent as a packeted message to the Replika and since Lyoko and Replikas are compatible, it would have received and decoded the message into a vehicle on the Replika. "Game Networking" was one of the classes I took in my curriculum.

Mind you all of my answers are speculation on my part and not 100% definitive answers.
Fictional Conversation after the Episode "Routine:

Ulrich - "You couldn't wait, could you?"
Jeremy - "What are you talking about?"
*Ulrich grabs and lifts Jeremy by his collar.
Ulrich - "I was this close to tasting her porcelain lips. We weren't in any danger, but noooo! You had to return to the past anyway!"
*Jeremy sniffles as Aelita appears on screen and rolls her eyes
Aelita - Ulrich, put him down.

Lyokosui offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Carth » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:55 pm

Topic bump...sorry.

Uh...hi. I've never posted in any LTT incarnation before, because you all are just far too smart for me...but, I have a bit of a techy question that I'd like answered as research for a fic idea I have.

Ok...so, what, exactly, is the definition of a Key to Lyoko? What sort of priveleges does one in posession of a Key have, and how are they above regular Lyoko powers? Are there certain downsides to only having half the Keys?

I'd really like some good information on the Key concept, or at least a redirection to a place in the threads where information has been placed before. I'm going to try looking myself, but seeing as LTT is so expansive...yeah. Anyway, thank you... *leaves*
Carth offline

Postby Tangent128 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:29 pm

*Tries to remember*

I think the Keys were considered to be access privileges- different Keys would presumably allow you to access/manipulate Lyoko's data in different ways. More details were never finalized, I think.

Unless anyone can remember elsewise, I'll try to fill that in now.

Known Keys:
=========
1) Control over Tower operation.
Aelita has this; we've seen her deactivate (and activate) Towers. Seems to extend to the S5 interface for launching the MAS, and likely used to force the Replikas to accept the cracked Key instead of just denying access to everyone.
Franz has this; we've seen him activate & usurp Towers on occasion.
XANA... unclear. It appears that it expends more energy manipulating Towers, so probably not. It likely uses the same techniques Jeremie picked up on instead.

2) Full read access to data.
Aelita has this; we've seen her operating the Sector 5 interface to obtain data on XANA, Lyoko, etc. Likely used to read the key from a Replika to crack it.
XANA didn't have this originally, at least. Hence the "restricted section" of the Supercomputer. However, it may have picked it up from Aelita, enabling it to copy Lyoko's data to make the Replikas. It left the SC after that, so it couldn't access Jeremie's data either way.
Franz? Possibly. He did know Jeremie's progress on the MAS.

3) Control over Lyoko's terrain.
Aelita- yes, Creativity.
XANA- likely, especially in the Desert, it seems. Could just be hacking.
Franz- unknown.
Jeremie- maybe; the Skid hanger could have just been slipped into the Lyoko plans before launch, though.

4) Control over resource allocation.
Franz- yes; he was able to make the diary cracker run at full speed.
Jeremie- likely got it from Franz with the plans to Lyoko; uses it to transfer energy from Sector 5 to shore up Towers.
XANA- no; it can't just transfer all resources to its own Tower to leave the Scanners inoperable. However, it can apparently protect its own activated Towers from having Jeremie drain their resources.

Another note, while I'm thinking about it. Beyond terrain modification, nobody ever had modification permissions to Lyoko. Jeremie was able to make small changes to the plans before recreating Lyoko because they were on his computer, but XANA, being within the Lyoko OS or copies thereof, was not. It could only create copies of Lyoko or parts thereof, and was not allowed to even change the Keys to the Replikas- Aelita could operate their Towers just as easily.
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Sithking Zero » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:22 am

I always thought of the "Keys," to mean specific commands or codes or sophisticated programs that would govern Lyoko's operation. Then, when Aelita had hers stolen by XANA, he used these codes/commands/programs to remove his link, and took the keys with when he left, causing Lyoko's shutdown.

Franz was able to recreate the keys from memory...

At least, that's what I think. Not quite as science-y, but that's what I thought.
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby SilverPrince » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:24 pm

I've actually been thinking about these Keys in passing thought recently. I'm no techie, but here is my particular theory.

The Keys to Lyoko allow one to, in Franz's words, be the "absolute rulers" of Lyoko. Or something along those lines. This means that it allows a holder to have complete control over the functions of Lyoko.

Take Aelita for example. She can control the terrain of Lyoko, with her powers of Creativity.

She can deactivate towers that were activated by someone else. XANA and Jeremie, as far as I understand, can only deactivate their own towers.

She can access the interfaces, and I haven't seen anyone else use them, so I assume that no one else can.

And in order to enter the Replikas, Aelita uses her own hand to unlock the enterances. As the Replikas are copies of Lyoko, we can assume that she can do this with Lyoko as well. This literally makes Aelita "the Key to Lyoko".

After XANA attacked the first time and captured Franz and stole Aelita's memory of life on Earth, he apparently stole Franz's key. This gave him limited abilities, because I think one has to hold all the keys in order access all the abilties of the Keys. Franz said "Together, we will be the absolute rulers of Lyoko." Or something along those lines.

XANA, in holding Franz's Key, could alter the terrain of Lyoko (making the Mountain Sector invisible, turning the Desert Sector on it's side, etc.), could presumably access interfaces, and had complete access to the Supercomputer, excluding the exit and the "restricted access section". At the end of Season 2, he gained Aelita's key and left the Supercomputer.

But she can still deactivate towers, she can still access interfaces, and still alter the terrain. Franz still has all the powers of his Key. So apparentely, once somoene has a Key, they hold those powers forever. The only thing one needs a Key for is to gain the powers.

And although XANA now holds all the Keys to Lyoko, he either does not have or does not want to use his complete control over Lyoko. Seeing as how he eventually destroyed Lyoko and saw it as an obstacle, I'm going to assume it was just because he didn't want to use his powers.

Also, a purely cosmetic aspect of my theory is that there are just two keys- one for Franz and one for Aelita. Each key gives the holder basic privliges, and if one holds them both, or if both holders work together, they have unlimited, absolute power over Lyoko.

</theory>

Stonecreek wrote:I miss the boob bots. At least they were peddling something I have interest in...
SilverPrince offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Cassius335 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:23 pm

But what if there aren't only two keys? As Tangent pointed out, XANA can't change the Replika's access, otherwise he'd have locked the Warriors out.

Mybe there's a third Key that XANA doesn't have...
Last edited by Cassius335 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
---
"There are advantages in being honest about your own limitations: you gain the right to talk about the limitations of others." - Science of The Discworld 3
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Sithking Zero » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:41 pm

Again, I just think that "Keys," is a metaphorical term for the programs. And when did I say that XANA couldn't change their access? He created them, so he should, in theory, be able to create coded locks. The problem is that Jeremie was able to hack them, as he is a computer genius.
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Tangent128 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:20 pm

But why would XANA make a coded lock when he could just make a lock where every result is invalid? It would seem that Lyoko already had a locking system that XANA could change the key for, but XANA couldn't modify the mechanism itself.
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Sithking Zero » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:33 am

Or maybe he wanted an access port for his monsters, William, or himself, and none of these could phase through the walls of the Replika? Jeremie did say something to the effect of the entrance at the bottom of Lyoko as being how XANA accessed Lyoko.
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Cassius335 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:32 pm

Sithking Zero wrote:Again, I just think that "Keys," is a metaphorical term for the programs. And when did I say that XANA couldn't change their access? He created them, so he should, in theory, be able to create coded locks. The problem is that Jeremie was able to hack them, as he is a computer genius.

Whoops, edited.

Anyway, then why does the "CODE LYOKO" business work on the Replika's then?
ImageImage
---
"There are advantages in being honest about your own limitations: you gain the right to talk about the limitations of others." - Science of The Discworld 3
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TB3 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:42 pm

Cassius335 wrote:
Sithking Zero wrote:Again, I just think that "Keys," is a metaphorical term for the programs. And when did I say that XANA couldn't change their access? He created them, so he should, in theory, be able to create coded locks. The problem is that Jeremie was able to hack them, as he is a computer genius.

Whoops, edited.

Because XANA, as we've shown time and again, is a MORON, and when he duplicated Lyoko's source coide for the Replika's either did not, or could not, delete Aelita's l33t user priviledges.
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sithking Zero » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:38 pm

TB3 wrote:
Cassius335 wrote:

Whoops, edited.

Because XANA, as we've shown time and again, is a MORON, and when he duplicated Lyoko's source coide for the Replika's either did not, or could not, delete Aelita's l33t user priviledges.

He's like Zim, from "Invader Zim:" He can make horrible, incredible weapons of mass destruction, but he's more of an engineer than a tactician.
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Cassius335 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 pm

Sorry to necro, but I have a question. After the episode where Kiwi went into the scanners (and got merged with Odd), does Kiwi now have the same "remember after a Return To The Past" ability that the warriors do? Or would that require a clean scan?
ImageImage
---
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Tangent128 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:14 am

Depends on when it begins tracking immunity- on scan, or on profile creation specifically.
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

PreviousNext