Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:23 am

LTT3 - Rewriting Physics since 2005!

General original series discussion (Seasons 1-4)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Postby Sithking Zero » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:32 pm

Exactly!

Also, I have something to add. I first brought this up on LTT2, but it seems more appropriate now that we're talking more about the programing aspects of Lyoko, so I thought it would be good to bring it up again. The question is, why is it necessary to materialize the Lyoko Warriors so far from the tower?

I have a few theories, beside Plot device.

First off: Energy field. No, not Aelita's signiture attack, though that would be cool. No, I'm thinking some sort of anti-materialization field that is automatically set up once a tower is activated. I believe that such a protocol would be set up by Franz to make sure he had time to, if someone entered Lyoko via scanner, there would be time to stop them from accessing any sort of valuable information. Or XANA could have set it up. This could also explain the "Pulsations" In S1, as such a field could possibly be using so much power that it sends energy waves throughout Lyokospace itself. That could also be how Jeremie was able to create the superscan, by scanning towers and checking their atomic structure and if they resonate with "Activation energy."

Second off: Entry points. This theory states that there are only a few spots per sector that one can be materialized, like a wormhole or a gate from Stargate SG-1 or Atlantis. One can't walk into a stargate and come out anywhere, you have to come out another stargate. Thusly, the gate theory comes from observations that the warriors seem to come onto Lyoko in pretty similar spots, almost exactly the same ones, in fact.

Third off: They're just materialized near Aelita, who either spends time exploring Lyoko or in way towers, which can either be placed close to activated towers or far away.

Fourth off: Cloaking reasons. If anyone's played "Command and Conquer Generals," or "Homeworld 2" or other strategy computer games, you know about the "Fog of War." It's basically a black mass that fills up everywhere on the map you haven't seen yet. Well, if XANA was to create something like this, it might be dangerous for the Lyoko Warriors to be materialized, because without a reference point or something, they could be materialized over the digital sea, or half of them could be materialized inside a boulder, or something like that.

Any ideas?
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Chosen_one » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:24 pm

Sithking Zero wrote:Second off: Entry points. This theory states that there are only a few spots per sector that one can be materialized, like a wormhole or a gate from Stargate SG-1 or Atlantis. One can't walk into a stargate and come out anywhere, you have to come out another stargate. Thusly, the gate theory comes from observations that the warriors seem to come onto Lyoko in pretty similar spots, almost exactly the same ones, in fact.
Well, when Jeremie virtualizes someone, he enters the latitude and longitude of the target location within a sector. Maybe one square degree (i.e. a square area 1 degree lat. in length and 1 degree long. in length) is a vast area like it is on Earth (approx. 63 miles) and when Jeremie enters the coordinates, the virtualization program drops the kids off in the center of the degree square.
The Chosen One
Consul of the Republic of Destiny
Conqueror of the Empire of Fate
I have received 2480 replied notifications.
Click here to go to my 1337th post.
Click Here to view the longest thread in Lyoko Freak history.
Chosen_one offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby JeremyHopper » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:03 am

Sithking Zero wrote:First off: Energy field. No, not Aelita's signiture attack, though that would be cool. No, I'm thinking some sort of anti-materialization field that is automatically set up once a tower is activated. I believe that such a protocol would be set up by Franz to make sure he had time to, if someone entered Lyoko via scanner, there would be time to stop them from accessing any sort of valuable information. Or XANA could have set it up. This could also explain the "Pulsations" In S1, as such a field could possibly be using so much power that it sends energy waves throughout Lyokospace itself. That could also be how Jeremie was able to create the superscan, by scanning towers and checking their atomic structure and if they resonate with "Activation energy."

This sounds pretty good, but I have a theory of my own.

It's my opinion that Jeremy could virtualize them anywhere. The reason he dosen't just virtualize them right in front of the tower is because there's monster gaurding it. The monsters would devirtualize them before they were even fully virtualized (this could corrupt their vDNA I think but that's another discussion.)

So Jeremy gives them a chance to adjust to their surroundings and come up with a strategic plan before battle occurs by virtualizing them somewhere away from the tower. Even if there are no monsters present, it's obvious there's going to be some around the tower sooner or later. At least, that's what I would do.

You've gotta admit, 50% of the reason they do things in this show is plot device...

One thing I've been meaning to ask is what peoples opinions on how to spell virtualization is. Some people say virtualisation, and I say virtualization.
~Sean

I reject your reality and substitute my own. -Adam Savage
JeremyHopper offline

Postby TB3 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:17 pm

Nice theories guys - one other possibility as to why the kids appear away from towers might be the 'node screen' that appears on Jeremie's monitor every so often - we used to see it more often in S1 when he had to connect to Lyoko - it showed what seemed to be a plan of a sector with intersecting lines, the junctions being marked with a little icon - there were too many to attribute to the towers, so I thought these nodes might be entry points into a sector.

Thoughts?

JeremyHopper wrote:One thing I've been meaning to ask is what peoples opinions on how to spell virtualization is. Some people say virtualisation, and I say virtualization.

Hmm...give me two seconds - okay, according to the French cine-manga I got as a gift at Moonscoop, it's Virtualisation, with an 's'. That may not be canon though.
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby YDV » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:55 pm

Yeah, I always thought that Jeremie could virtualize them anywhere, but the initial coordinates are completely random. Maybe he gets lazy? xD;

The nodes thing sounds good too, though.

Actually *cough* The reason that you spell that with an 's' is probably because you're British. Spelling 'ise' with a 'z' is a chiefly American thing. So it mainly depends on where you're from. (Same with color vs. colour, donut vs. doughnutteshnfdgf)
BEHHHH
YDV offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Tangent128 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:30 pm

I don't think a square degree could be very large, since we've seen that towers are accessible from each other; there are only 40 towers in Lyoko proper, so the degrees can't be spaced that far...
Why use degrees for flat landmasses?

Entry points are quite possible, though I would like to know why the vehicles can be materialized in more places.

An "anti-virtualization" field is my favorite, simply because it's the coolest. I have an idea about its possible operation, too. Possibly, XANA takes the damaging code of a laser blast, and materializes it around the tower in a greatly diffused form; thus, it might do constant damage of ~0.00000001 LP. This isn't noticed when within the field, for one of two reasons:
    An avatar is immune to such low levels of damage (walking would hurt more), or
    The damage occurs, but isn't significant during a ten-minute battle.
Either way, such low damage would be an issue for a partially-built avatar, which either has no immunity or lifepoints yet.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Chosen_one » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:37 pm

TB3 wrote:Hmm...give me two seconds - okay, according to the French cine-manga I got as a gift at Moonscoop, it's Virtualisation, with an 's'. That may not be canon though.
In British English, it's "virtualisation" with an "s," but in American English, it's "virtualization" with a "z."
The Chosen One
Chosen_one offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Sithking Zero » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:19 am

Agreed. It all depends on where you are and what culture you were raised in. "Nature Vs. Nurture" all over again.

Also, according to TB3, the way to become a Lyokologist is for people to vote. I would like to become one. Please voice your opinion. Sorry if this is improper.
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Cassius335 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:42 am

Then I vote 'Aye'.

EDIT: The question is, will there be enough room on your sig for the 'company' logo...
ImageImage
---
"There are advantages in being honest about your own limitations: you gain the right to talk about the limitations of others." - Science of The Discworld 3
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby JeremyHopper » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:38 am

Uh-oh. I put the lyokologist thing in my sig because I thought you just had to post in the LTT thread to be one... am I a lyokologist? Or should I take it out of my sig? I don't know because I completely missed LTT thread #2.
~Sean

JeremyHopper offline

Postby TB3 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:42 am

Jeremy - you're one of the ORIGINAL members mate - don't fret over it :)
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chosen_one » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:04 pm

Bah, I can't even dream of being a Lyokologist; I've contributed ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to LTT other than hosting the wiki.

Anyways, um, when they deleted the ice sector, Aelita said that the purpose of doing that was to gain energy. How can deleting a sector use energy if it's virtual? :umm:
The Chosen One
Chosen_one offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Reesane » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:34 pm

Chosen_one wrote:Anyways, um, when they deleted the ice sector, Aelita said that the purpose of doing that was to gain energy. How can deleting a sector use energy if it's virtual? :umm:

Because maintaining the ice sector requres "energy" (I think she was talking about prossesing power) Its distruction would free up "energy" for other perposes.
Mood today: O_o

made by CBIzumi

made by Carth
Reesane offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Sithking Zero » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:32 pm

Yeah, it's like going through your hard drive and clearing out a bunch of old programs that you don't use anymore. After you're done, your computer moves faster, right?

How many votes do I need?
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Rudger » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:49 am

Yeah, but cleaning your harddrive doesn't improve processing power, It just makes searches through the hdd faster, seemingly improving processing power because it can find what you're looking for much quicker. Defragging also helps, but I'm getting off topic. Let me know if I'm being a pest, I haven't been to LTT for quite a while and I wasn't all that helpful the first time. ;)

Rudger offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Location: I'm in ur village, burniatin' ur thatched roof cottages.

Postby TB3 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:17 am

Canadian Bacon! wrote:Yeah, but cleaning your harddrive doesn't improve processing power, It just makes searches through the hdd faster, seemingly improving processing power because it can find what you're looking for much quicker. Defragging also helps, but I'm getting off topic. Let me know if I'm being a pest, I haven't been to LTT for quite a while and I wasn't all that helpful the first time. ;)

I would say what Aelita did was more like free-up processing power - they needed more processing power to reboot the system, so Aelita deleted the Ice Sector - the computer no longer had to dvote some of it's capacity to running it and viola! - enough processing ability for a system reboot, just like clsoing some applications on your PC so that the CPU can focus on other tasks.
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JeremyHopper » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:33 pm

I agree with TB3 on this. When the computer is on, it's constantly processing the variables for the virtual worlds, handling the hardware, processing incoming data ect. So one less sector is one less region to process for variables, render, and comunicate data with. Another thing, I would expect the towers to take up a LOT of CPU power, and all the towers from a deleted region would be deleted too, right?
~Sean

JeremyHopper offline

Postby Rudger » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:43 am

TB3 wrote:I would say what Aelita did was more like free-up processing power - they needed more processing power to reboot the system, so Aelita deleted the Ice Sector - the computer no longer had to dvote some of it's capacity to running it and viola! - enough processing ability for a system reboot, just like clsoing some applications on your PC so that the CPU can focus on other tasks.

That's something I was wondering about also. I agree with what you said there, but a question that comes to mind is, why delete it? All you need to do is free up the processor for other uses right? This is a crude comparison, but it's all I could think of- When my computer iss running slow I go through task manager and close any unnecissary programs, I'm not deleting them. Why would you delete something when all you need to do is close it? Couldn't they just 'close' lyoko or that particular section for a time? I would think that Franz would put that kind of an option in, just in case something went horribly wrong and he had to use the computer's full processing power or work on some programming in the core or something. Just a thought. I'm not going to pretend that I know exactly what I'm talking aboutm but I figured I'd try and contribute a bit instead of just watching it all happen from the sidelines.

Rudger offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TB3 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:52 am

Well remember, not only were they pressed for time, but the system was fouling up to the point where Jeremie probably couldn't go hunting for an alternative course of action - and that's presuming there is one. Even if there were such a protocol programmed by Franz, Hopperian System Architecture is so intricate I don't know if Jeremie could find such a command without some form of clue from Franz, or XANA, or after a LOT of intensive searching.
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rudger » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:58 am

Yeah, that's true. I wasn't thinking about that. Oh well, live and learn I guess. Hopefuly I'll contribute something useful by the time this thread is over.

Rudger offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TB3 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:38 am

Don't worry too much about trying to make a contribution Fat Guy - often we find in these cases that just by posting and responding to the ideas of others that we contribute far more than we realise :)
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JeremyHopper » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:38 am

That Fat Guy. wrote:This is a crude comparison, but it's all I could think of- When my computer iss running slow I go through task manager and close any unnecissary programs, I'm not deleting them. Why would you delete something when all you need to do is close it? Couldn't they just 'close' lyoko or that particular section for a time? I would think that Franz would put that kind of an option in, just in case something went horribly wrong and he had to use the computer's full processing power or work on some programming in the core or something.

That's what I thought for a while, but I feel that there might be no "close a lyoko sector for a while" option. Besides, I think that if something went horibbly wrong Franz would delete the sector anyway. The whole thing in the season 1 episode "Frontier" where aelita has to gather memory from towers didn't make sense to me. I mean, the tower's just a 3d object! How can you "gether" memory from it?

Like TB3 said, the programming and protocols are so intricate that in a way Lyoko is *almost* real. If you wanted to build your house on a piece of land but there were too many trees there, you could'nt just turn off the trees. (okay, not a good analogy, I know) Maybe Franz would know what to do, but even Jeremy would have to take a lot of time trying to figure out how to turn a sector off.

He'd probably have to disconnect power from all the towers and sever the communication connections, and other stuff that would take time. Why do that when you can press the delete button? :*D That's my two cents anyway.
~Sean

JeremyHopper offline

Postby TB3 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:09 am

Thanks JH :)

JeremyHopper wrote:The whole thing in the season 1 episode "Frontier" where aelita has to gather memory from towers didn't make sense to me. I mean, the tower's just a 3d object! How can you "gether" memory from it?

Here's a way to rationalise it - the towers are the points where programs run from, therefore each must have a portion of the RAM and Hard-Memory allocated to them, so it makes sense for Aelita to be able to commandeer some of that memory to replace that which Jeremie was spamming with his data.
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JeremyHopper » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:08 pm

Exactly. I was just stating what I had thought before. It's like the towers are terminals to change the OS and to operate things on the OS. The different towers have access to different parts of the OS, and it's like Lyoko and Carthage as a whole is one big OS. I think we discussed this in LTT 1. And you're welcome TB3 :)
~Sean

JeremyHopper offline

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:48 pm

TB3 wrote:Thanks JH :)

JeremyHopper wrote:The whole thing in the season 1 episode "Frontier" where aelita has to gather memory from towers didn't make sense to me. I mean, the tower's just a 3d object! How can you "gether" memory from it?

Here's a way to rationalise it - the towers are the points where programs run from, therefore each must have a portion of the RAM and Hard-Memory allocated to them, so it makes sense for Aelita to be able to commandeer some of that memory to replace that which Jeremie was spamming with his data.

If the owers are just litte box-pixel, then so's Aelita. ad Xana doesn't even hve box pixels! So he can't really be there, right?

Ahahahano.

I think it's rather like the Terminals in Linux, the part with the coding nd the password is pretty much the same, and it's the safest way to transfer large pacets of data and handle it safely.

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

PreviousNext