Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm

LTT3 - Rewriting Physics since 2005!

General original series discussion (Seasons 1-4)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Postby Ghost Guest » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:09 pm

TB3 wrote:Nice summary of the spectres Tangent - and it's nice to see some discussion going again :)

kamekai wrote:Or maybe they hear it strait from their Avatar's artificial hearing program, *coughvirtualearscough* And it isn't a giant voice booming from the skies at all. >_>

You might have a point here - but the most recent episode gave me food for thought about another matter of hearing - i.e. whenever Jeremie seems to communicate with the kids in the scanner chamber or supercomputer room - here's a picture of Odd talking with Jeremie:

Look at Odd's hand

It's pressed to his ear! When I saw this I went back and checked, but yes, it's there - while Jeremie is talking, Odd has his fingers pressed up against his right ear, and when Jeremie stops he takes them away - very much in the manner of secret service agents communicating through earpieces.

i.e. - When in the scanner room, the kids can actually HEAR Jeremie in their ears - not through speakers in the room, but actually in their ears!

The thing is that in that episode, due to the fusion of Kiwi and Odd, the later gained uh... dog abilities. Acute hearing being one of them. Isn't it possible that Odd was just trying to adjust to his new sense?
Ghost Guest offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Kamekai » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:37 pm

Technically, according to the laws of physics, he needs bigger ears. But then again... xD
Kamekai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Tangent128 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:34 pm

Astronomical X.A.N.A. wrote:Now I have a question about the Network. Since there's obviously a such thing as the keys to Lyoko, are there also keys to the Network as well? Also, what are keys and what do they look like?

The Keys seem to be pieces of data. Whether they are access codes, or abilities, or simply blueprints is unknown. (Though maybe they are used for hacking Replikas- the hand scanner accesses Aelita's Keys or something...)

The Network probably doesn't have Keys, as it is more of a natural phenomenon than an artifical construct. It doesn't have any controls or plans, it is simply a side effect of the complex charge patterns in modern electronics leaking into ZPS. Presumably, circuit patterns common in CPUs generate Lyokon patterns that condense into relatively stable configurations. (Incidently, what effect would the Sun have on ZPS, if they were to take the time to take the Skid out there to see?)

As as why the Network takes the form of an upside-down city? The buildings seem to be aggregations of these junk patterns. The regular shapes are probably a crystalizing phenomenon. As far as the upside-down part goes, either the detritis is less dense than the Lyokon fluid and floats upward, or Franz just make a sign error when creating Lyoko. (meaning it's actually Lyoko that's upside down)
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TB3 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:38 pm

Tangent128 wrote:
Astronomical X.A.N.A. wrote:Now I have a question about the Network. Since there's obviously a such thing as the keys to Lyoko, are there also keys to the Network as well? Also, what are keys and what do they look like?

The Keys seem to be pieces of data. Whether they are access codes, or abilities, or simply blueprints is unknown. (Though maybe they are used for hacking Replikas- the hand scanner accesses Aelita's Keys or something...)

The Network probably doesn't have Keys, as it is more of a natural phenomenon than an artifical construct. It doesn't have any controls or plans, it is simply a side effect of the complex charge patterns in modern electronics leaking into ZPS. Presumably, circuit patterns common in CPUs generate Lyokon patterns that condense into relatively stable configurations. (Incidently, what effect would the Sun have on ZPS, if they were to take the time to take the Skid out there to see?)

As as why the Network takes the form of an upside-down city? The buildings seem to be aggregations of these junk patterns. The regular shapes are probably a crystalizing phenomenon. As far as the upside-down part goes, either the detritis is less dense than the Lyokon fluid and floats upward, or Franz just make a sign error when creating Lyoko. (meaning it's actually Lyoko that's upside down)

An excellent post! XD

The properties of the Network are interesting - as you say the buildings seem to be physical manefestations of computer hubs.

Linked together, this all probably forms a 3-D representation of the world's data-processing capabilities, and possibly takes the form of a globe, following the shape of the Earth.

So theoretically, from any point on the network if you keep travelling down, you'll eventually come back 'up' to the surface having travelled through the Centre of the Earth (and finally justifying Jules Verne's book ;) ) - likewise if you go 'up' far enough, you'll presumably pass into an empty void that represents outer space.

However, this causes other questions to arise:

GRAVITY: Does a nominal gravity state exist in the Network - the answer is yes, as we see debris from exploding replicas falls downwards - now, since this force cannot be constant across all of the network, it must be Earth's own gravity, having a very small effect across the dimensional barrier - enough for objects to fall towards Earth's core, but not strong enough that the Skid and Navskids need ballast tanks and other submarine equipment, to move 'up' and 'down', but can simply be weighted for negative boyancy and maneuver up and down with their hydroplanes and engines (note that when drifting, Yumi seemed caught in a current, which presumably allowed her to keep her nose up and prevent her from slowly sinking down).

However, since this shows real-world energy can bleed into ZPS/Network, then locations of phenomenal energy would have a presence there too - for example, it may not be possible to travel through the Earth's core in the network, as it may be a location of extreme electromagnetic distrubances and storms, emulating the phenomenal energies in the Earth's molten core.

The same possibly applies to and explains that 'white light' above the city - the 'cyber city' network seems too small to represent all computers in a given area, so what if it only represents computers below ground level (such as databases in skyscraper basements) - thus, as you go higher, you go nearer to the 'white light'. which represents the vast majority of the computers on Earth - if this were navigable then presumably you could push past them into outer space, but that itself might be extremely hard to navigate due to solar radiation.

THE HUBS: It seems to convenient for the Network to come complete with a mass-transit system built into it - looking at the hubs they seem more like constructs, man-made to allow rapid travel from A to B (look at how they are linked via those tubes into data-towers - it seems too...methodical to be a simple fluke of quantum mechanics) - and if they are constructs, who built them? Was it Franz, intending them as a means for XANA to travel rapidly through the network to infect targets, or is it Project Carthage's hand at work (blocking enemy communications was their mandate, and what better way to block messages than to intercept them in the data-processing network of the world?)

---

On another subject, TL pointed out something in 'A Lack of Goodwill' - when Yumi crashes the overwing it is first hit with a Tarantula blast, then looses height, crashes against a cliff, bounces off, lands on the ground then explodes. Not only does this suggest a physical failure of the Overwing's flight systems (my personal theory for it's source of locomotion being a magnetic field project below it), but TL pointed out that as she glances off the cliff, you can hear a tinny rattling sound and see a small, screw-like fragment break off the bottom of the Overwing, backing up the theory that the Over-vehicles, Monsters and the Skidbladnir all have mechanical innards and are not just animated wireframes.
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tangent128 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:59 pm

Small note- the tubes coming out of the Hubs appear to be intangible- I was rewatching part of "Goodwill", and the Skid's wing appeared to pass through one.

Of course, that could have just been a goof... ;)

While I'm having fun, I'll submit a new RTTP method inspired by SG-1:
The SC enters coordinates into the nearest Hub cooresponding to the opposite side of the Sun. It then sends a massive energy pulse Sunward to trigger a solar flare, then transmits whatever data into the Hub. The data travels around the Sun, gets tachyonically accelerated by the flare's EM chaos, and returns to the same Hub in the past. XANA is still immune to the RTTPs because XANA also has access to Hubs, and can send its own data via the same flare. :nyeh!:
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Chosen_one » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:18 pm

I think the network doesn't have keys because it's basically the Internet (or an Intranet), and the digital sea is just a high-end browser that performs operations using a video game-based user interface.
The Chosen One
Consul of the Republic of Destiny
Conqueror of the Empire of Fate
I have received 2480 replied notifications.
Click here to go to my 1337th post.
Click Here to view the longest thread in Lyoko Freak history.
Chosen_one offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Astro-Xana » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:37 pm

Now I have a question regarding the French episode 86 "Kiwi Superstar." Xana sent a ghost into the real world which took on the form of a Kiwi robot which, of course, spread itself into many more Kiwi robots and attacked the school. Now is this because Kiwi got his own avatar (virtual form) even after being fused with Odd when being virtualized on Lyoko. And then Xana took use of Kiwi's avatar and translated Kiwi's virtual form into the real world (which is obviously a robotic form)? Or could it just be that Xana has manufactured a robotic Kiwi in some other laboratory and materialized it into the real world? Or could it maybe perhaps that Xana has figured out a way of making polymorphs take on the form of new materials now?

Astro-Xana offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Location: Fighting Xana's demon monsters in the Nexus Core Star Center of the Network

Postby Sithking Zero » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:45 pm

Astronomical X.A.N.A. wrote:Now I have a question regarding the French episode 86 "Kiwi Superstar." Xana sent a ghost into the real world which took on the form of a Kiwi robot which, of course, spread itself into many more Kiwi robots and attacked the school. Now is this because Kiwi got his own avatar (virtual form) even after being fused with Odd when being virtualized on Lyoko. And then Xana took use of Kiwi's avatar and translated Kiwi's virtual form into the real world (which is obviously a robotic form)? Or could it just be that Xana has manufactured a robotic Kiwi in some other laboratory and materialized it into the real world? Or could it maybe perhaps that Xana has figured out a way of making polymorphs take on the form of new materials now?

Well, until we see the episode in its entirity, we can't actually say with a degree of accuracy. After all, what we say can be contradicted by plot twists that reveal new data about the supercomputer, so until the episode comes out, I think we should just shelve this question for later.

And while I do admit that your question is kind of strange, I do have to admire your thoroughness. You seem to have a lot of the options relatively well covered. We'll have to see what the answer is.
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Mewberries151 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:50 pm

Sithking Zero wrote:
Astronomical X.A.N.A. wrote:Now I have a question regarding the French episode 86 "Kiwi Superstar." Xana sent a ghost into the real world which took on the form of a Kiwi robot which, of course, spread itself into many more Kiwi robots and attacked the school. Now is this because Kiwi got his own avatar (virtual form) even after being fused with Odd when being virtualized on Lyoko. And then Xana took use of Kiwi's avatar and translated Kiwi's virtual form into the real world (which is obviously a robotic form)? Or could it just be that Xana has manufactured a robotic Kiwi in some other laboratory and materialized it into the real world? Or could it maybe perhaps that Xana has figured out a way of making polymorphs take on the form of new materials now?

Well, until we see the episode in its entirity, we can't actually say with a degree of accuracy. After all, what we say can be contradicted by plot twists that reveal new data about the supercomputer, so until the episode comes out, I think we should just shelve this question for later.

And while I do admit that your question is kind of strange, I do have to admire your thoroughness. You seem to have a lot of the options relatively well covered. We'll have to see what the answer is.

Spoilers ahead:

Actually, that robotic Kiwi is an old friend we all should remember. ;)

...It's none other than Kiwi 2 from the episode, "The Robots". :D

Woot for more season 1 referencing!!!! :*D
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sithking Zero » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:34 am

Mewberries151 wrote:
Sithking Zero wrote:

Spoilers ahead:

Oh yeah! I remember that! I'd like a droid like Kiwi 2...

So perhaps AX's theory that XANA built them isn't far-fetched...
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Mewberries151 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:38 am

Sithking Zero wrote:
Mewberries151 wrote:
Sithking Zero wrote:

Spoilers ahead:

Oh yeah! I remember that! I'd like a droid like Kiwi 2...

So perhaps AX's theory that XANA built them isn't far-fetched...

Actually, it's more I think that he takes control of the original Kiwi 2 (who is shown to still reside in Jeremie's room), and then clones him through the use of "spectre power" (since possessed Jim also cloned himself in "Final Mix").

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Malkmusian » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:47 pm

Yeah. XANA's known for being like that. I wish we can do that in real life.
The creator, Carth, had never experienced autism until she read my story.
Sorry I was gone.
Malkmusian offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Tangent128 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:25 pm

*Avoiding spoilers like the plague*

So, what are simulation bubbles now? Are they like hologram chambers, or pocket universes created in ZPS?
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Astro-Xana » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:09 am

I also have a question as well regarding the towers. You already know that if a tower were to be deactivated, that it's actually not technically deactivated because it has a white aura around it (activated by Franz Hopper). Now could Jeremy do something as to where if he were to activate multiple towers in activating the defensive shield around the Skid (which would make these towers green), could he have the two auras (green and white) working together in that once these green activated towers have been turned back to white again (deactivated), that the white aura is actually working for the green aura in that the white aura acts as a substitute for the green aura, thus having the defensive shield around the Skid always active since the towers are always white?

If Jeremy could do something like that, then let's say that in the episode "Tip-Top Shape" when Odd got Jeremified, if Xana were to take control of Jeremy's tower in draining Odd's energy, if the tower were to be deactivated, that would actually make Odd "Franzified" since the tower now has a white aura. In other words, Odd would be powered by the white tower.

Astro-Xana offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Location: Fighting Xana's demon monsters in the Nexus Core Star Center of the Network

Postby Mewberries151 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:16 am

Astronomical X.A.N.A. wrote:I also have a question as well regarding the towers. You already know that if a tower were to be deactivated, that it's actually not technically deactivated because it has a white aura around it (activated by Franz Hopper). Now could Jeremy do something as to where if he were to activate multiple towers in activating the defensive shield around the Skid (which would make these towers green), could he have the two auras (green and white) working together in that once these green activated towers have been turned back to white again (deactivated), that the white aura is actually working for the green aura in that the white aura acts as a substitute for the green aura, thus having the defensive shield around the Skid always active since the towers are always white?

If Jeremy could do something like that, then let's say that in the episode "Tip-Top Shape" when Odd got Jeremified, if Xana were to take control of Jeremy's tower in draining Odd's energy, if the tower were to be deactivated, that would actually make Odd "Franzified" since the tower now has a white aura. In other words, Odd would be powered by the white tower.

There's a problem with both of your queries, although one of them is also due to confusion caused by the loss of "Lab Rat".

Spoilers:

I'm 99.9% sure that the Skid's shields are not connected to the Towers in any sort of way. They are something the ship has regardless of whether it is docked or not (as seen in both "Lab Rat" and earlier in "Lost At Sea" when it's shields protected Yumi). The Towers merely serve as digital anchors for the Skid, both to the Replika/Tower itself, and as an anchor for the kids when they get translated. This is why Jeremie has to Jeremify them, and why it's imperative that he retains control of them. When William enters the "Code: XANA" code and disrupts Jeremie's control, any translated/virtualized kids are instantly pulled back onto the Skid and its more or less "Mission: Phailed". XD;

Secondly, in regards to the Jeremified/Franzified idea, it would more or less prove to risky all the same as, in "Tip Top Shape", XANA taking control of the tower and disrupting Jeremie's control wasn't what caused Odd to lose power. When XANA took control, he used the link to Odd to physically drain him of energy, and would have killed him if they hadn't deactivated the tower in time. Even with the possible Franzification idea, the fact that XANA could still do practically whatever he wanted with Odd would not change, unless of course they deactivated the tower. And even then, if it resulted in an automatic "Franzification"...it'd do absolutely no good if Odd was already dead...which is a risk I don't think the others are too keen to take for themselves or for him.

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Astro-Xana » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:37 pm

Mewberries151 wrote:I'm 99.9% sure that the Skid's shields are not connected to the Towers in any sort of way.

But what about the time when Aelita activated multiple towers in activating the defensive shield around the Skid in blowing the Scyphozoa away?

Mewberries151 wrote:And even then, if it resulted in an automatic "Franzification"...it'd do absolutely no good if Odd was already dead...which is a risk I don't think the others are too keen to take for themselves or for him.

But what about if Odd wasn't already dead? If Xana's tower were to be deactivated, Odd's energy was obviously restored (as shown in the episode "Tip-Top Shape" when he gained back his normal human energy in speaking to the nurse). But in this case, he would be Franzified once Xana's tower is deactivated which would give him Franz Hopper's energy (way more powerful than Jeremy's energy). Now the reason why I ask this question about the towers is because these white towers can't just be there for nothing because I'm sure the white aura of the towers can be used.

Astro-Xana offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby Sithking Zero » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:30 pm

Astronomical X.A.N.A. wrote:
Mewberries151 wrote:I'm 99.9% sure that the Skid's shields are not connected to the Towers in any sort of way.

But what about the time when Aelita activated multiple towers in activating the defensive shield around the Skid in blowing the Scyphozoa away?

Mewberries151 wrote:And even then, if it resulted in an automatic "Franzification"...it'd do absolutely no good if Odd was already dead...which is a risk I don't think the others are too keen to take for themselves or for him.

But what about if Odd wasn't already dead? If Xana's tower were to be deactivated, Odd's energy was obviously restored (as shown in the episode "Tip-Top Shape" when he gained back his normal human energy in speaking to the nurse). But in this case, he would be Franzified once Xana's tower is deactivated which would give him Franz Hopper's energy (way more powerful than Jeremy's energy). Now the reason why I ask this question about the towers is because these white towers can't just be there for nothing because I'm sure the white aura of the towers can be used.

AX, please check your sources.

Yeah, the towers were activated, and they did blow ol' squid head away, but that was because Jeremie's program was designed specifically to do that- rerout energy to the shields.

The white towers are Way Towers. They're used for getting from place to place.

And what the heck are you talking about? Franzification? And what proof do we have that he would get Franz's energy after Xana was gone?
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Astro-Xana » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:38 pm

I have no sources. Also, every tower on Lyoko is white. So does that mean that every tower is a way tower now, or does it mean that they are towers energized by Franz Hopper? If they're towers energized by Franz Hopper, then why can't they be used for Franzification?

Astro-Xana offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby Malkmusian » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:40 pm

Dude, stop making up names. Franzification is just a possession of a tower by Franz.

If XANA can make copies of people we've never seen, can it make a living copy of Frank Zappa?
The creator, Carth, had never experienced autism until she read my story.
Sorry I was gone.
Malkmusian offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Sithking Zero » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:24 pm

Astronomical X.A.N.A. wrote:I have no sources. Also, every tower on Lyoko is white. So does that mean that every tower is a way tower now, or does it mean that they are towers energized by Franz Hopper? If they're towers energized by Franz Hopper, then why can't they be used for Franzification?

If you have no sources then FREAKING GET HARD EVIDENCE BEFORE SPEWING RANDOM THEORIES EVERYWHERE! :cussout:

And are you freaking colorblind!? Only the Way towers are White. Every other one, except for the Possessed ones, are Blue!

AX, I know you want to help out. But please, think CAREFULLY about what you say and provide solid evidence as to why you believe your theory. Otherwise, I could come on here and say, "Lyoko Runs on Magic." Completely untrue and has no evidence to back it up.
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Astro-Xana » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:44 pm

Look, here's a source:

http://codexana.net/lyokofreak/forum/vi ... 4&start=52

And all I'm saying is that why can't the white aura be used. Like let's say, when the Skid docks to a white tower, why can't Jeremy just use that white tower in translating the Lyoko gang into the real world instead of activating the tower green in translating them? If they were to be translated through a white tower instead of a green one, they would obviously be Franz Hopper's spectres in the real world instead of Jeremy's and would obviously possess much more power (Franz Hopper's power) instead of Jeremy's as I assume white towers contain Franz Hopper's energy.

Astro-Xana offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby Tangent128 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:59 am

I'm assuming that the White Towers are just white because that's the new idle color for some reason. If they are all activated, then presumably they're doing something important (keeping XANA from directly messing with Lyoko, hiding Franz from XANA, ???...) that we can't see.
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Astro-Xana » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:10 pm

Now you already know that Xana William's sword has absorbing capabilities in that when Aelita fired an energy orb at Xana William, he used his sword in absorbing the blast and firing it right back at Aelita. Knowing this, is it possible for him to absorb Franz Hopper into his sword and have him sealed inside which would result in Franz Hopper being converted over inside Xana William's sword and working for Xana in which Xana William's sword would possess Franz Hopper's energy in Xana form?
Last edited by Astro-Xana on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astro-Xana offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby Sithking Zero » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:15 pm

even if it were possible, XANA wouldn't do that. He'd kill Franz straight off.

And secondly, just because Aelita's attacks are absorbed, doesn't neccessarily mean that he can absorb Franz Hopper. Just because two things look similar doesn't mean that they are.
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TB3 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:21 am

Bit of news guys about the latest Season 4 episode in French, 'Planete Bleue':

SPOILER ALERT
A: The latest replica is a copy of sector 5, and we see that tower from 'Franz Hopper' again - hopefully we'll learn something new about it

B: This latest supercomputer is not based on land, or even on Earth! It's a space station in earth orbit!

Now, here's where reality sticks it's nose in - currently the only space station in existance is the International Space Station or ISS - however this new one, by a bt of photo comparison, I've decided looks very similar to the former MIR space station, implying this is an outpost of the Russian Federation. Odd also uses the word 'cosmonaut' when looking to see if there's a crew onboard, and since that's a russian word (the french term would be astronaute) I guess that also counts as evidence.

If so, then Jeremie's decision to destroy the on-board supercomputer, crippling the installation, may just have bigger conseqences - any human organisation behind this station is eventually going to discover the damage, which is clearly not accidental - if the kids are ever found out (no RTTP in this episode) then this could be construed as an act of terrorism, sabotage or even an act of war.

C: The question must arise - what is this space station intended for, both in terms of XANA's use, and the original country-of-origin. Since presumably Jeremie had no idea of it's existance then it seems to be a secret installation (oh those crazy russians/project carthaginians ;) ), and if XANA is based from it then it's got to have been in existance since at least the events of 'The Key'

The station has a very advanced supercomputer onboard, and is unmanned - it also contains a factory line which XANA is using to create flying spheres studded with razor-sharp, retracting spikes which can heat-up enough to melt through bulkheads. This brings up the question of the original purpose of this station since it has an assembly line, and also, what is XANA planning on using these spheres for, since their use seems limited to Zero-Gravity-Environments.

One possibility I consider feasible is that these are...'limpet mines' of a kind - XANA may have planned to release them from the station and then have them float in orbit to communication, military and civilian satelites, where they would possibly melt-through the outer hull and then once inside either explode or use the spikes to forcibly connect to and seize control of the systems, giving XANA control or a stranglehold of the world's communications networks.

EDIT:
For those of you curious, here's a comparison:

The Mir

The cl space station

Another picture of the Mir

As you can see, the layout is similar, like a 'updated' MIR - the main pointer to the nationality of this base however is the central unit visible in this screencap - it's the station's lifeboat, and it's clearlya russian Soyuz space capsule. Another similar capsule, a russian Progress spacecraft used for cargo resupply, is attatched at the other end of the core section, just like MIR.

I'm surprised by the way that there's no people on what is clearly an expensive piece of kit, unless there was a crew on board and XANA...'dealt' with them.

This station also seems to have a lack of solar panels in comparison with real space stations, but given the amount of hardware it is supporting, it may have an alternate power supply.

It's worth noting that although the physical design of this space-station is interesting, Moonscoop did mess up by depitcting the Soyuz's rocket engine as an airlock, so how much the rest of the station should be taken at face value is debatable.

EDIT 2:

After a little work, I turned up an image of MIR that matches up nicely with the image from the show.

For image click here

I was thus able to label most of the CL Spacestation's modules, based on the real modules that made up MIR - however, there are still three mystery sections and we know not what they are, hehe.

The Core: Living quarters and a hub which other modules can be added to - the first part of the station that goes into orbit.

Kvant 1: An astrophysics module

Kvant 2 and Kristall: These were based on the same design, a 77K (TKS) spacecraft. Kvant 2 included an airlock and science labs, and Krystal was designed for tech research and designed to allow the Buran and Space Shuttle crafts to dock with the MIR - Kristall later had a longer docking port added to it to make shuttle docking easier.

Priroda: This was the last addition to MIR in reality, an advanced science lab for Earth observation - it was designed in the USSR years but only added to MIR after the fall of the USSR when the USA agreed to complete the half-finished module in return for putting some American scientific equipment onboard.

Our 'mystery' sections use the hub port that in reality was occupied by MIR's
'Spektr' section, designed during the USSR years as part of a military program that was to test antimissile defence - it was also fitted with a large optical telescope. Like Priroda it wasn't finished until the US agreed to pay for the work, thus the military equipment was removed and replaced with more solar panels and research equipment. Notably, Spektr was involved in a collision in summer 1997 which left it unusable, and it was left as depressurised dead weight attatched to the station.

So, let's look at our mystery units:

Section 1:
This joins the main body of the mystery unit to the core hub - like the Kvant 2, Kristall, Priroda (and the missing Spektr), it appears to be based on the 77K (TKS) model of spacecraft.

Section 2:
That's a big beastie! Huge in fact - I wonder if there's a rocket on Earth big enough to put a payload like that into orbit!

Section 3:
All that equipment might be for communications, but it almost looks like plumbing to me, and curiously the solar panels resemble those on Spektr - like Section 2, it is phenomenally big!

THOUGHTS:
What I think happened here is that Moonscoop used a picture of Mir and added to it to make it look bigger and more impressive - what can we glean from it though?

This space-station looks so much like Mir that it leaves me wondering if it IS Mir, just modified.

Now, in reality, Mir was intentionally deorbited on March 21st 2001 - this was done by attatching a remotely-operated Progress module to the station and retro-firing it's engines to slow the station till the point where it dropped out of orbit and broke-up during re-entry over the South Pacific.

However, this does not mean the station didn't have many years of life left in it - it was only destroyed after all attempts to sell it fell through (one hope was to use it as a space-based TV/Film studio) - a privately funded mission even sent two cosmonauts up for several days to try and repair it.

So, this leaves us with several possibilities:

1: The Space Station is Mir, now privately owned and refitted with new equipment to replace the damaged Spektr
module

2: The Space Station is Mir, the destruction of which was forged (possibly by detatching the unusable Spektr and redundant equipment which would then burn dramatically in Earth's atmosphere), and the station was secretly refit by an unknown party (the Russian Federation, Project Carthage etc)- this scenario would be difficult to cover up, and unless NASA was involved, I can't see how no-one would notice all the rockets going into orbit with the payloads.

3: The Space Station is in fact MIR 2, an actual project planned by the USSR and which constantly got put back until it was scrapped, although many modules intended for MIR 2 ended up forming the core of the International Space Station - one reason why the project fell through was because Russia's space-shuttle project (the Buran) got cancelled, but if the Buran project continued, maybe MIR 2 might eventually have come about

4: The space station is brand-new, and co-incidentally looks like three-quarters of MIR with extra stuff on top - if this is the case though, it raises the question of who would finance such a project and why, given the international focus on the ISS

The internals that we see of the station look NOTHING like Mir, or any other space-station - the corridors are large and roomy and so are the rooms - Mir was known for being a cramped labyrinth - clearly if this is Mir refitted then a lot of new tech has gone in to save on space, and presumably a lot of computing equipment has been superceded by the supercomputer installed in the base.

Either way, we know the station has a factory onboard, so presumably it is meant to conduct experiments on manufacturing equipment in Zero-G - the question remains though, why put an entire supercomputer onboard - what kind of equipment would need such an excess of processing power and memory, and why in the months since 'The Key' have the human operators on the ground not noticed the evil AI spamming up their mainframe?
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext