Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:19 pm

Updated: Subs and Dubs - CL spreads even further!

General original series discussion (Seasons 1-4)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Updated: Subs and Dubs - CL spreads even further!

Postby TL. » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:17 am

Well people, with my 500th post, I’m now a quarter of the way to seeing ‘Complete’ in my progress bar. And I decided to try and make my most important contribution in reference to Code: Lyoko with this post.

We know that Code: Lyoko has been dubbed or subtitled into many languages, living proof of it's international popularity and the appeal of the show, setting and characters.

These languages have included French, English, Polish, Arabic, Spanish, Russian, Cantonese and last Saturday, I confirmed it had been dubbed into my Native tongue, Welsh.

It was a very good dub of ‘Image Problem’ that I saw – all the little quirks and effects are there – Jeremie is nicknamed ‘Einstein’, Aelita’s voice while appearing on the monitors had an echo effect, the Welsh equivalent of “Scanner Transfer Virtualisation!â€
TL. offline
The Rank of Triumph!
The Rank of Triumph!

Postby Lani » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:19 am

Eight languages?! Wow, that's a lot o_o Polish, Arabic, AND Russian? If my dad finds out about those dubs he'll flip ^^;

Now, I'd like to see it dubbed in Mandarin (to go along with Cantonese! Yay!), Japanese, and just for kicks: German. >>; Why German? Because... they always sound angry to me >>;

But the chances of the Japanese even considering to lisence it themselves and bring it over to their lil island is really slim. For some reason, they NEVER dub western cartoons. I only know of Powerpuff Girls and Totally Spies having been dubbed in that language... Why they don't have more (like we do) is probably either because of bias, or they just have way too many of them on air already. I mean, come on, they have twelve channels. o_o;

If they actually DID dub it... I'm getting my grubbly lil hands on it and uh... giggling at it. >>;
we will advance with sword in hand
for our cause is pure
Lani offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Chiquita » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:45 am

Interesting. I wish African. Even though I understand English better. (I have to admit I like Jeremy's voice in French better in English. I got so use to it I forgot how it really sounded.)
No signature apparently. I'm boring....O_O
Chiquita offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby Chad Rains » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:52 am

Meh. once again for me its a case of I prefer the English dub because I like to actually "Watch" the show and not have to read subtitles the whole time.
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Taelia » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:59 am

Japanese definitely! Because of its Japanese influence on the show and of the character od Miss Yumi Ishiyama. Now all that's left is to persuade MoonScoop to get these languages onto DVDs.

Lani wrote:

Eight languages?! Wow, that's a lot o_o Polish, Arabic, AND Russian? If my dad finds out about those dubs he'll flip ^^;

Now, I'd like to see it dubbed in Mandarin (to go along with Cantonese! Yay!), Japanese, and just for kicks: German. >>; Why German? Because... they always sound angry to me >>;

But the chances of the Japanese even considering to lisence it themselves and bring it over to their lil island is really slim. For some reason, they NEVER dub western cartoons. I only know of Powerpuff Girls and Totally Spies having been dubbed in that language... Why they don't have more (like we do) is probably either because of bias, or they just have way too many of them on air already. I mean, come on, they have twelve channels. o_o;

If they actually DID dub it... I'm getting my grubbly lil hands on it and uh... giggling at it. >>;

Actually, if I remember correctly, TONS of shows have been dubbed into Nihongo. For example, one of my fave movies, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, has been recently dubbed into Japanese. And just last year, Invader Zim was given the Nihongo treatment as well. So, if we pursuade MoonScoop to license it for Japanese TV, we might just get to hear Jeremie say Ulrich's name in Japanese.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby MY85 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:31 pm

Well, that's a progress...

Well, what can we say about Spanish version?

Jeremie: He does not sound like Barney at all!! XD But Season 1 Jeremie sounded like a child. Season 2 Jeremie sounded kinda like a standard serious geek. VA change.

Aelita: Sounds sweet.

Odd: Those would think Odd's gay might think of it because of his dressing and possible attitudes, not by the voice.

Ulrich: Sounds a bit more like a dude, comparing to the English version.

Yumi: Sounds normal, okay...

Sissi: Kinda spoiled... but I like her.

William: Sounds a bit retarded. William in spanish sucks.

Jim: With a slightly higher tone than Gasman. I like Jim in spanish version.

Principal Delmas: Normal, I guess. Can't remember much of the english version to compare.

Franz Hopper: Haven't seen new episodes in the spanish version since <i>Ultimatum</i>. D:

Nicolas: Sounds totally retarded.

Herb: Quite angsty.

Mr. Ishiyama: Sounds quite pissed.

Mrs. Ishiyama: Sounds quite normal to me.

Hiroki: Sounds like a dumba** kid.

That said, that's just my opinions... but hey, I could be wrong.

Vchat 2.0 wrote:Meh. once again for me its a case of I prefer the English dub because I like to actually "Watch" the show and not have to read subtitles the whole time.

None of the channels where CL is seen present any subtitles at all.
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby Chad Rains » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:44 pm

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:None of the channels where CL is seen present any subtitles at all.

True. which is even further proving my above point considering the fact that I only know english and a very miniscule amount of Spanish. My note above is primarily focused towards dvd's and such that would have subtitles.
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby MY85 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:46 pm

Vchat 2.0 wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:None of the channels where CL is seen present any subtitles at all.

True. which is even further proving my above point considering the fact that I only know english and a very miniscule amount of Spanish. My note above is primarily focused towards dvd's and such that would have subtitles.

I see. The CL DVD's are sold by language... it could have been a bit more expensive if they included both English and French and another language as well.
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby Taelia » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:10 pm

I'd save up. And the Japanese version would sound cool!
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Lani » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:32 pm

Taelia wrote:Japanese definitely! Because of its Japanese influence on the show and of the character od Miss Yumi Ishiyama. Now all that's left is to persuade MoonScoop to get these languages onto DVDs.

Lani wrote:

Actually, if I remember correctly, TONS of shows have been dubbed into Nihongo. For example, one of my fave movies, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, has been recently dubbed into Japanese. And just last year, Invader Zim was given the Nihongo treatment as well. So, if we pursuade MoonScoop to license it for Japanese TV, we might just get to hear Jeremie say Ulrich's name in Japanese.

Yes, that's true; But that occurance happens nowhere near as often as it does in the western parts in the world, like here in the US.

Hm, thinking about CL dubbed in Japanese makes me wonder what they'll do to Yumi's shoes when she's running around her house... Cause I noticed that she has them on... and unless she moved to France when she was really little, then they shouldn't be on... >>;

Okay. I'm going now. xD;
for our cause is pure
Lani offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Taelia » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:38 pm

Also, Animaniacs was dubbed into Japanese too, with Ikue Ohtani (most famous as Pikachu) priving the voice of Dot.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Darkness Incarnate » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:02 pm

Nice, you'ed think that in would be dubbed in japanese I think cl would do great there. After all there are alot of crap animes there so one this good is sure to be a hit.
All your base are belong to us,LOL.
Darkness Incarnate offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Taelia » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:15 pm

How do you think the characters might sound?
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Darkness Incarnate » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:46 pm

Taelia wrote:How do you think the characters might sound?

That kinda hard to say, I went to school for va and I know the sound does not always sound one way or another. I will say that yumi should not sound like most anime voices because most of them sound like there 5 no matter how old they are.
All your base are belong to us,LOL.
Darkness Incarnate offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Taelia » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:46 pm

How will we get to hear them all?
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TL. » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:54 pm

I got the Welsh dub of ‘Satellite’ tapped on video. Now I need to find a way to upload it to the net
THIS IS MY FORUM NOW!

ALL WHO DEFY ME, SHALL BE DESTROYED!
TL. offline
The Rank of Triumph!
The Rank of Triumph!

Postby Taelia » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:59 pm

Cool. Very cool indeed.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby SamBlob » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:49 pm

Lani wrote: Hm, thinking about CL dubbed in Japanese makes me wonder what they'll do to Yumi's shoes when she's running around her house... Cause I noticed that she has them on... and unless she moved to France when she was really little, then they shouldn't be on... >>;

Okay. I'm going now. xD;

Interestingly enough, when Yumi was sitting in Jeremy's bed in "Log Book" she had taken her shoes off, but when she did the same at the end of "Image Problem" (this was the real Yumi, not the clone) she had them on. Having one's shoes in someone else's bed is really unsanitary...
My LF family:
Mother: StarWay
FairlyOddSister: CBIzumi
Awesome little sister: Mewberries151
Big sister with whom I often quarrel: Linii-chan
Mad scientist little brother: X1
Favourite cousin: Ransomed_Heart
Keeper of heraldic arms: Doggiegal (actually, I do my own coat of arms now...)

all welcome in Room#420
SamBlob offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Taelia » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:51 pm

According to (usual) Japanese custom, you're supposed to take your shoes off before you go into the house.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Shi_Min_Xi » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:00 pm

Seriously?!?! CL has been dubbed into Cantonese?!?!?!? (Wait...And not Mandarin...Now that's freaky since Mandarin is spoken much more than Cantonese...(But I'm not complaining :D (I only understand Cantonese...)))...Where can I get it/find it?!?!?!?

And same for Chinese about the whole shoe thing...
Habataku mono wo mukaeru sora/Shihaisareru no wo osoreyashinai/Akogareru mabayusa wa/Subete wo kaeru tame ni/Dare mo yurusazu ni/Doko he yukeru darou?

The sky greets those who fly,I don't fear of being controlled/The dazzling brightness that I aspire for is to change everything/I cannot forgive anyone, where can I go?

-Doubt & Trust, access

Note: Avatar is from Mahou Sentai Magiranger. Watch it. It is made of win.
Shi_Min_Xi offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Lani » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:06 pm

Oh, and I'd love to see it dubbed in Tagalog too... xD; My mom watches CL with me already (she just left while in the middle of SVD today, and while she was leaving she said "Tell me what happens to Aelita!") and she'd go insane if it was dubbed in Tagalog! English is not her first language... >>;

Anyway, I was just thinking. <s>(which is a rare occurance)</s> If CL gets dubbed into many, many languages, well, it could very well take over the WORLD! MUAHAHAHA! >D
for our cause is pure
Lani offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Taelia » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:29 pm

My only worry is if WE get to hear them ALL.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Lani » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:32 pm

Hearing them all wouldn't be a problem if Code Lyoko took over the world! :O It'd be like, having a CL DVD shop at every street corner with every possible version available. *shrugs*
for our cause is pure
Lani offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Taelia » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:40 pm

Wisful thinking, unless we do something about it. ;__;

I noticed something: in order for CL to have a Japanese dub, there needs to be a Japanese division of MoonScoop.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TB3 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:50 am

OK, I'm resurrecting a really old thread I know, but I just dug up some new info on Moonscoop's website.

Firstly, and incredibly, Code: Lyoko is going to be aired in Japan!

The reason why this is incredible is because in Japan, out of all the animation that's aired on TV, only 3% of the total is foreign.

For Code: Lyoko to recieve valuable airtime on Japanese networks is tantamount to it's quality.

Also, Moonscoop is branching out - it's purchased a multimedia company called 'Queen Bee' and in 2007 comes the most extraordinary development of all...

MOONSCOOP WILL HAVE IT'S OWN CABLE CHANNEL!

No word of a lie - this new channel (called Kabillion) will broadcast in France AND the USA this year.

And this is all due to the runaway success of our favourite show.

From Antefilms, to this. In three years. That's...just...WOW!
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next