Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:34 pm

Character Personality Changes Over the Course of the Show...

General original series discussion (Seasons 1-4)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Character Personality Changes Over the Course of the Show...

Postby Aerodynamite79 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:29 pm

been thinking about this quite a bit as of late. of how the code lyoko characters pesonas changed over the course of the show. and I'm curious to see what you guys take on the changes were?

with me......I think it hurt some characters, and I think may have helped the show run into it's current hiatus status by perhaps alienating people from the characters personalities that they were used to.

anyways, as I said what is you guys takes on the changes that occurred to the characters personalities over the course of the show?

(mods if you feel it's necessary, lock and or delete this post)
Last edited by Aerodynamite79 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aerodynamite79 offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Taelia » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:06 pm

In Season 4, Jim started acting very muscleheaded and even more regimental than in Season 2. :no: :no:
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Carth » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:05 pm

I once wrote a Wild Mass Guessing entry about Aelita in this regard...I guess quoting it here would suffice to say what I think about her character development.

The Aelita in Seasons 1 and 2 and the Aelita in Seasons 3 and 4 are two completely different Aelitas, because a new Aelita was created when Franz Hopper gave her memories back. As a blank slate on Lyoko, Aelita was probably closer to the definition of an artificial intelligence- or maybe simply an amnesiac. She shows marked traits- an overactive martyrdom instinct, a demure, naive personality (though this does evolve slightly due to outside sources), and, for the little time she knows about her parentage before the memory restoration, acute hatred of her father.

My best guess is that when Franz Hopper restored her memories, he also restored a bit of her previous personality, and maybe a bit more humanity. She becomes noticeably more outspoken, she takes many risks both physically and socially, the martyrdom instinct vanishes (maybe because of a renewed sense of dignity?), she receives different powers for no apparent reason (this I think is the big one- because her brain changed, the makeup of her Lyoko form changed as well. The energy balls could be symbolic of her assertiveness...or uh something.), and, big one, she absolutely adores her father. Aelita wasn't replaced, because she has memories and all, but she was definitely heavily modified.
Carth offline

Postby jym1 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:40 am

I thought that the character development was painfully slow, even in season 2 and 3, and I'm not just talking about the romance thing.
But I can see how there is room to say their personalities changed somewhat
jym1 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby HiddenWatcher » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:24 pm

Personally, I thought personality development over time was handled superbly. Aelita is the most obvious case. She changed while adapting to the real world, growing slightly more independent. Then she changed again following the restoration of her memories and the emotional turmoil surrounding the "death" of her father. But these new characteristics seemed to blend gradually into her former ones, until by the end of Season Four we have an Aelita who is quite different from what she was in the first episode, yet the transition is hard to pinpoint.

Jeremie is another big case. You can see him becoming ever more desperate in Season Two, for instance. By contrast, in Season Four he grows much more bold and confident, perhaps as a result of the fact that the things he's building are actually working for once. Being able to accomplish his task in a series of achievable step as opposed to trying to perform a single wearying task is clearly very therapeutic for the poor boy.
HiddenWatcher offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby oddlauren » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:47 pm

yep, they did change, but not too much. They did get older over time.

1. Aelita figured out who she was/she's actually human/learned about her past
2. the group adjusted to saving lyoko and earth
3. they got older.

I think they did a great job developing the characters.
oddlauren offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby SearchingLyoko » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:17 am

It's okay....

Personally... I like how... even if they eliminate some of their bad qualities (like Sissi's nice streak) they still mantain the same personality really...

Ulrich is still nice and loyal to his friends. Yumi as well. Odd is still comedical. Aelita, still Aelita. Jeremy still Jeremy.

It's good.

Of course... some small changes here and there spice it up a bit... but really... don't go overboard. That's what caused Seasons 3 and 4 to fall a bit in popularity.... going overboard.

If you change them too much... like changing Yumi from being independent, strong-willed, etc. to a "girly-girl" then it's all ruined.

So... yeah... they didn't do it perfectly... but they did it well.
SearchingLyoko Delenda Est.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby Aerodynamite79 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:20 pm

I always felt for whatever reason that certain characters got hurt with regards to their personalities over the course of the show. Case in point, Odd, and Aelita.

For instance, Aelita's personality I always felt had too sudden a change from the naive way she was during the 1st 2 seasons into her seasons 3 and 4 one. Now, while it is explained by the ending of season 2, I always felt this change was a bit hard to handle at moments.

Odd: With Odd, I felt that he really became less and less mature as the series progressed. When you see him in season 1, he's in no way the most mature member of the group, but he's more down to earth it does seem (as seen in episodes like rock bottom when he covers for Sam). However, by season 4 it seemed like he really became extremely immature. Actions such as the not owning up to his mistakes and letting other ppl or even his friends take blame, his attempt to get a women (even if it means risking making a jerk out of him self (see: Music Soothes the Savage Beast)), the fact he becomes a lot more cocky and whiny in seasons 3 and 4 (which I must admit gets a bit grating on ones nerves after a while), etc. Really hurt the character as a whole I felt.

Now, I don't deny that at least some of the personality changes involved with those 2 characters (along with several others) would not have happened, however I do feel that the way they played out on the show was not in a great manner (in Odd's case especially). Just was something that always bothered me.

(p.s. for those wondering, Odd is my favorite show character, and Aelita is prob. my 2nd favorite, so like understand I'm just using those 2 as examples in this situation).

Aerodynamite79 offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Sithking Zero » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:39 pm

Taelia wrote:In Season 4, Jim started acting very muscleheaded and even more regimental than in Season 2. :no: :no:

Really? I personally felt that Jim was acting much better in that season, showing more of a softer side than in previous seasons.

In Season One, Jim's pretty much the strong arm of Kadic, enforcing the rules a bit harshly, but with good intentions. He does, however, show that he wants to connect with the students, as was shown in "Code Earth," and "False Start."

In later seasons, he starts to connect with the students better and displays a more human face. He didn't have to take the group to his personal training camp to help them get exercise, but he did anyway. Furthermore, his relationship with them was improved from that point on.
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby SearchingLyoko » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:25 am

And the Mystery of the Band-Aid will always captivate us.

Why has it been there for so long???

Yeah... I did notice those changes in Odd and Aelita. They did sort of annoy me.... I know that they need to rake in money and such... but they have to realize that things like these hurt the show more in the long run (like global warming almost. Fossil Fuel might be a great short-term solution, but it's deadly in the long run)

These television companies need to learn to have faith in their fans... Yes.. people do evolve... I don't deny it... but don't kill their personality with those changes.
SearchingLyoko Delenda Est.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned