Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 pm

Episode 22 - Mutiny

Talk about the episodes of Evolution here! (Season 5)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Episode 22 - Mutiny

Postby Snickie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:23 pm

Very detailed episode summary here. Read at your own risk.

This upsets me. A lot.

I'll leave you with that.
Snickie offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Re: Episode 22 - Mutiny

Postby TheAppleFreak » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:24 am

I'll spoiler this until the episode comes online. Unspoilering for public availability.

Well, in all honesty I'm not exactly mad, per se (I'm not an ardent Laura fan. One of the only parts of Laura that I really liked was the rivalry between her and Aelita, but that's been lacking as of late) but I am really confused as to why they're returning to the status quo. I recall leading up to Evolution's release that they were emphasizing her inclusion in the group a fair bit, so the about-face is extremely interesting to me. It also makes me wonder what they're gonna do with the card that Laura kept from "An Assured Professional Career," since that was a pretty big hook for a continuing storyline.

The Scyphozoa possession times are another small matter of contention for me. It's just nitpicking, but in the original series I'm fairly sure that possession would take under a minute from tentacle wrapping to release. That being said, right now an actual XANA possession would be great for Evolution. It'd add a bit of variety that the show desperately needs (specters, specters, and more specters), and it'd allow for more dynamic plot threads, I think. I hope in the eventual Evolution Season 2 (I have little doubt that Evolution will be getting another season) the Scyphozoa has a more prominent role.

This talk of targeted RTTPs really just seems like a copout, IMO. One can argue that since Laura was never properly scanned into the Supercomputer, Jeremy is able to do this, but what of William back during Season 3? William remembering the factory and his actions before the RTTP was a major plot point, and directly led into the plot development for Season 4. Having this excuse of "targeting William in the RTTP" could have instantly invalidated all of that.

But on top of that, it suggests that the Return to the Past is something that Jeremy has complete control over. Season 3 gave me a sense of wonder regarding the magic that Jeremy attempted to harness in many episodes. William keeping his memories implied that the RTTP was Franz Hopper's attempt to harness a powerful and unstable resource for his own gain. It had its own idiosyncrasies, its quirks and mannerisms that we could never hope to fully understand or harness. Then, Evolution comes along and brings us this, a sort of realization that Jeremy has become a god, because he can control time absolutely. I dislike this development quite a lot.

I'll further update this once I've seen the episode.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby Snickie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:44 pm

It's online. ;)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12iuv ... ms?start=1

So I'm not going to spoiler this.

TheAppleFreak wrote:Well, in all honesty I'm not exactly mad, per se (I'm not an ardent Laura fan. One of the only parts of Laura that I really liked was the rivalry between her and Aelita, but that's been lacking as of late) but I am really confused as to why they're returning to the status quo. I recall leading up to Evolution's release that they were emphasizing her inclusion in the group a fair bit, so the about-face is extremely interesting to me. It also makes me wonder what they're gonna do with the card that Laura kept from "An Assured Professional Career," since that was a pretty big hook for a continuing storyline.

That may have been what it was like during the preview and trailers stage, but throughout the whole thing I feel like they didn't actually want Laura on the team (except in Mme Einstein, with the exception of Aelita, and in Rendezvous). Laura's been mostly good to them since, but after seeing this episode, the LWs have only been focusing on her shortcomings and mistakes. Except for Jeremie when she's programming the virus to kill XANA and the Cortex. And that is why their kicking her out upsets me. It's not because of the contradiction between this event and the stream of trailers leading up to it, but that it was bound to happen, and the way it was executed was just so....awful is the only word I can think of but it doesn't really describe how I actually feel about it. Maybe ridiculously impulsive. It's bad writing imo. Yes, what Laura did was bad. Not necessarily wrong, but definitely misguided, and with bad side effects even though they were temporary. But she was also pretty clueless. The original LWs are equally at fault because, in their hesitance to trust her at all, they didn't give her a lot of the information she needed to know. Like the fact that the last time William was alone on Lyoko, he got possessed by the scyphozoa. And the fact that they reacted so harshly to her knowing that she didn't know this stuff seems like a cop-out not only for the writers but for the characters themselves.

At the very least, this episode proves that they are human and are rash and make mistakes. That's about the only good I can say about the entire group for this episode.

Edit: You know what it reminds me of? How everyone turned against Jeremie in ep49 Franz Hopper, ep62 Nobody in Particular, and probably at least one or two other episodes. And I can't help but think that before the season is over Laura will rediscover the group and the supercomputer, and do something outrageously helpful or essential to the group that forces them to accept her again. Just as Odd and Ulrich and Jeremie and even William redeemed themselves in previous episodes.
Snickie offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby penguin30 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:14 pm

Boo, the Scyphozoa went down way too easy.

On the topic at hand, can't say that I particularly care about Laura getting ousted. Sorry to say, but aside from making good points from time to time (definitely a pragmatist, which I can respect), she's not that likeable for the rest of it. This seems to be intentional, in fact, given that she's way too smug for no good reason.

penguin30 offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby LyokoMan95 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:04 pm

Snickie wrote:And I can't help but think that before the season is over Laura will rediscover the group and the supercomputer, and do something outrageously helpful or essential to the group that forces them to accept her again.

Now I think it will be just the opposite. I think she will be recruited by Tyron and do something detrimental to the group before realizing what she's actually doing.
LyokoMan95 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Snickie » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:47 am

The scyphozoa goes down pretty easily whenever it's faced with more than one Lyoko warrior. It is pretty vulnerable, after all. Well, its tentacles are, which are its only effective way of doing anything. When it's connected to someone, it's kind of paralyzed, and paralysis is like the epitome of vulnerability. Once there was an opening to get to William, it was buh-bye Skippy.

I didn't like Skippy's explosion, by the way. What happened to the nearly indestructible Skippy of old?

Also, I think they're taking that one scene from The Lake a bit too far, the one where Yumi manages to talk the real William into coming back for a few seconds.

LyokoMan95 wrote:
Snickie wrote:And I can't help but think that before the season is over Laura will rediscover the group and the supercomputer, and do something outrageously helpful or essential to the group that forces them to accept her again.

Now I think it will be just the opposite. I think she will be recruited by Tyron and do something detrimental to the group before realizing what she's actually doing.

Spoiler: show
Well I just read the detailed summary for episode 24 on the Code Lyoko wikia.....it changes things.
Snickie offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby Cassius335 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:23 am

TheAppleFreak wrote:This talk of targeted RTTPs really just seems like a copout, IMO. One can argue that since Laura was never properly scanned into the Supercomputer, Jeremy is able to do this, but what of William back during Season 3? William remembering the factory and his actions before the RTTP was a major plot point, and directly led into the plot development for Season 4. Having this excuse of "targeting William in the RTTP" could have instantly invalidated all of that.

Presumably Targeted RTTP is something Jeremie only recently learned how to do...
ImageImage
---
"There are advantages in being honest about your own limitations: you gain the right to talk about the limitations of others." - Science of The Discworld 3
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak