Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:16 am

Thoughts on Evolution

General Evolution discussion (Season 5)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Thoughts on Evolution

Postby Slayer » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:56 pm

Hey guys, been a long time since I posted here ay?

I just finished watching the first few episodes of Evolution and felt like seeing if anyone thought the same as me on it. First off, am I the only one that thinks that so far the story sounds like a mashup of some people's fanfics? I actually think that I read a fanfic that had pretty much this scripting in it once. (Not complaining jut thinking)

Second, what the heck happened to Aelieta's Lyoko abilities? Since when did she have to hit The Eye to destroy a monster with her energy fields? I can fully understand the others getting a bit out of shape and being owned on lyoko but their abilities shouldnt have been effected by that should they?

I did have a third but i completely forgot about it :P

There will be no mercy, only slain bodies and taken souls. Dont be afraid, be terrified.
Slayer offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Re: Thoughts on Evolution

Postby Keith Fordson Sr. » Thu May 30, 2013 3:32 am

Spoiler: show
Keith Fordson Sr. offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby TheTsunamix » Thu May 30, 2013 11:48 am

Keith Fordson Sr. wrote:
Spoiler: show

An opinion, dear sir. One that I disagree with but I can definitely see where he's coming from.
TheTsunamix offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Keith Fordson Sr. » Thu May 30, 2013 4:24 pm

Well, as the saying goes: "a picture is worth a thousand words".
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Stonecreek » Thu May 30, 2013 11:09 pm

I'd recommend linking the picture, as swearing is not allowed on the open parts of the forum (everything except BKO). Of course, linking the picture would make it lose its impact. So..

YDV wrote:Well you see, the amount of time we didn't normally hang around BKO is kind of like potential energy, and then when we all finally came back at the same time it's like letting loose a catapult. 8D

It's all very scientifical. |D

Ah, memories...
http://z10.invisionfree.com/Anime_and_M ... hp?act=idx
Stonecreek offline

Postby TheAppleFreak » Thu May 30, 2013 11:51 pm

I'm gonna hide those temporarily behind spoilers, but here's a diplomatic solution (I think):

I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby Keith Fordson Sr. » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:04 pm

No.
New Kid
New Kid

Postby TheAppleFreak » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:46 pm

Keith Fordson Sr. wrote:No.

As you said a few posts above, a picture is worth a thousand words. Unfortunately for you, your picture reads with words that we don't allow in the open forum.

At risk of this becoming a tirade on forum etiquette, I return to the original topic:
To me, Evolution is alright. Certainly not the best series, certainly not the worst. I personally think that it has a lot of potential that as of yet is unrealized and shoved down a hole, and continues to be shoved down that hole with the various retcons and inconsistencies within the canon.

As I told Carth several months back, Evolution is a tease. They keep teasing various plot points, but then hide behind filler or diverge into other plot points. All of the characters (save for Jim and Ulrich, to an extent) have lost the depth that made them believable characters in the original series; while we have seen Ulrich perform pencak silat within Evolution, what happened to Aelita aspiring to be a DJ? What happened to Odd being an artist? What about Yumi's tensions with her parents? Everyone has become a 2D cutout of the characters that they once were (ironic due to the 2D vs live action, I think), which as of yet has detracted from the show.

Granted, as it stands the show is only 19 episodes aired right now, and I'd be surprised if there's not a second season (considering how Season 1 went with its episodic nature and its complete lack of plot progression until the last two episodes, and how it got 3 more seasons), so there's still time to fix it. Still, it feels like they are holding out on us, and not trying to live up to the legacy that the original Code Lyoko has.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Keith Fordson Sr. » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Why not? Many other forums allow you to speak freely without worry of censorship, if this is for the children's benefit I can assure you it is not necessary, as most of today's children are quite accustomed to such language.
New Kid
New Kid

Postby TheTsunamix » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:37 pm

Keith does have a point.

Besides, It's not like we're still catering to a bunch of ten-year-olds or any hyper-sensitive people who can't stand seeing the occasional profanity. If that were the case, we never would've waived the limits on the BKO forum.
TheTsunamix offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Keith Fordson Jr. » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:56 pm

One breakthrough that helped set the stage for Darwin’s theory of evolution was the discovery that Earth was once home to animals that no longer exist. For hundreds of years, many people believed that all creatures were created at the same time, and that all of them were still around.

Neither of these ideas turned out to be true. For example, a mammoth may look like a modern elephant, but it isn’t one. Scientist Georges Cuvier proved that in the 1790s, when he compared fossil mammoths with elephants alive today. Mammoths were not only different from elephants — they had “gone extinct.” They had died out and vanished from the Earth.

The idea that some animals had become extinct was confirmed when people found strange fossils totally unlike any living animals. One fossil hunter was a young English girl named Mary Anning. Around 1810, she discovered the first complete specimen of an extinct ichthyosaur — a reptile with a sharklike body streamlined for life in the sea. Anning went on to find other important fossils. She was one of the great fossil hunters of all time.

The fossils discovered by Anning and others were a real shock to people. During very ancient times, Earth was home to many kinds of animals that had since gone extinct. Fossils provided rock solid evidence that life was different in the past. But how far in the past? And what sorts of changes had occurred in living things during Earth’s long history?
Keith Fordson Jr. offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby TheTsunamix » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:08 pm

Keith Fordson Jr. wrote:One breakthrough that helped set the stage for Darwin’s theory of evolution was the discovery that Earth was once home to animals that no longer exist. For hundreds of years, many people believed that all creatures were created at the same time, and that all of them were still around.

Neither of these ideas turned out to be true. For example, a mammoth may look like a modern elephant, but it isn’t one. Scientist Georges Cuvier proved that in the 1790s, when he compared fossil mammoths with elephants alive today. Mammoths were not only different from elephants — they had “gone extinct.” They had died out and vanished from the Earth.

The idea that some animals had become extinct was confirmed when people found strange fossils totally unlike any living animals. One fossil hunter was a young English girl named Mary Anning. Around 1810, she discovered the first complete specimen of an extinct ichthyosaur — a reptile with a sharklike body streamlined for life in the sea. Anning went on to find other important fossils. She was one of the great fossil hunters of all time.

The fossils discovered by Anning and others were a real shock to people. During very ancient times, Earth was home to many kinds of animals that had since gone extinct. Fossils provided rock solid evidence that life was different in the past. But how far in the past? And what sorts of changes had occurred in living things during Earth’s long history?

inb4 obligatory 'I see what you did there' comment.
TheTsunamix offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Snickie » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:25 pm

So! Code Lyoko Evolution! The television series! How have you people been liking it as of late?

Me, personally, I can't wait for the hiatus to be over. Though I'd be just as content with the Hungarian-English subs coming out too. I don't know French or Hungarian, so as long as the voices aren't too different I'll be fine. :)
Snickie offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby desincarnation » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:56 am

Poor trolling, Keith.

I did not have very high expectations for CLE ever since I heard of plans for continuation of the show, so I cannot say I am disappointed. Let's say that some aspects of it turned out way better than I anticipated and others failed as I expected them to fail.
Visual side of the show makes me feel split. I appreciate the effort the authors put to convince us that live-action was the right option. I cannot complain about the casting, although I could nitpick about Sissi and Jean-Pierre. Young actors play their roles fairly well. Their lacks are visible, but not too distracting. I really like special effects in live action, I think they capture the atmosphere of the attacks on Earth in the animated series.
At the same time I don't like the changes that were made to 3D part. Especially to the characters' avatars. This animation does not look 2012 to me, honestly. It looks kinda flat and lacks detail. The physics is ridiculously unnatural, as if the objects had no mass. Not to mention Tarantuals shooting lasers out of their heads. On plus side, we have Cortex and Digital Sea, which are simply beautiful.
As for the story... it has the same disease as previous seasons. It fears being a continuous, complex story and favors episodic adventures. It is indeed a tease. It raises our hopes for solving some of the show's biggest mysteries, only to turn back to more lame Xana attacks. At the same time it extremely rushes things. Like Laura, or Yumi's staff. They had plenty of time through these 19 episodes for buildup, even minimal.
As AppleFreak said, CLE is okay. It had potential to be something better, even with the budget Moonscoop had for it. It could use better writing and more effort from the creators. And more respect for the fans.
desincarnation offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby TheAppleFreak » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:15 pm

desincarnation wrote:Poor trolling, Keith.

Try rereading it, and think about what he said. I admit it took me a few minutes to get the point, but it definitely made me chuckle when I saw it.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby dreamowd » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:01 am

It's its own thing. The creators weren't experts on the source material, and you could tell. Overall it's directed to a younger audience and doesn't really contain any plot points from the original series.

This could go on Disney Channel. But the U.S. was spared this series.

dreamowd offline
New Kid
New Kid