Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:53 am

S4 Episode 18: Hard Luck

Talk about the episodes of the original series here! (Seasons 1-4)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Were we at all lucky to recieve this episode?

10- Lady Luck was on our side this morning!
10%
9- Heck of a lot better than Odd's, anyway.
28%
8- Pretty darn so.
41%
7- Kinda.
10%
6- I should check...my clover could be wilting a bit.
3%
5- Okay, but hardly lucky.
7%
4- Kankrelats look like rabbit's feet...
No votes
3- It's like winning two dollars in the lottery...
No votes
2- Ma' horeshoe's upside down. It really hurts my feet.
No votes
1- What is this 'luck'?
No votes
0- STOP WITH THE LUCK PUNS CARTH -_-
No votes

Total votes : 29

S4 Episode 18: Hard Luck

Postby Carth » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:06 am

Ok, so this one's airing today. Sure hope it's good- after three episodes straight of downright excellence, and the absolute pwnage that was Distant Memory, to me, it looks a little like filler. But I'm still watching it. Is it just me, or are there a LOT of Odd-centric episodes this season?

Don't vote until it airs, and discuss. I'll be at CL.fr...[size=0]waiting for Planète Bleue spoilers[/size]
Carth offline

Re: S4 Episode 18: Hard Luck

Postby Reploid CB » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:29 am

Carth wrote:Is it just me, or are there a LOT of Odd-centric episodes this season?

I've noticed that too but hey, I'm not complaining.

Ulrich is a showoff xD Nice moves he pulled off in the Replika, at the end there.

Overall, very nice episode ^^ Loved everyone making fun of Odd, and his continued disgruntled attitude when the bug hit, spreading to the others. Poor Odd xD

And "XD" to Jim's "pretty in pink" cellphone.
(Banner by Mew)

(Click for relevant cutscene xD. Sig and icon by me)

| DeviantArt |

- female - 24 - OxA/JxA/UxY - fanartist - banner maker -
Reploid CB offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:32 am

That cellphone mad me choke on my cereal.

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby UltimaHedgie » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:32 am

'Eh, I thought it was pretty nice, but at the same time, it seemed that the events just went a little too fast--like it was rushed. Other than that, great episode. 8/10.
UltimaHedgie offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Tangent128 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:35 am

Nice. It only suffers because it had to air after "Distant Memory".

I like the Kankrelats, though they do look annoying to fight.

Based on S3's order of sector deletion, I'd guess that the Ice Replika's next.

And XANA's physical-world plan gets more mysterious...
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Carth » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:10 pm

Could the spiders...murder people? Who knows.

This was an okay episode, but as someone says, it had the bad luck *brick'd* to be aired after the unbeatable pwnage of Distant Memory, which was amazing, emotional, and so full of plot its seams burst. This...is filler.

Good filler. A few too many luck puns for my taste, but they were funny nonetheless.

Putting cottage cheese in shoes. I should do that to my Scripture teacher. :P I didn't like Azra much. She had a strange voice. And that's all I really have to say on that subject...

Is it just me, or do the Lyoko warriors' outfits change in their Translations? Cause Ulrich doesn't have any bare patches on his arms in Lyoko. (Yumi seems to be like this too...dunno about Aelita, definitely not Odd.)

KANKRELATS! :D If there are any left over i want one for a pet plz.

It seems as though Xanliam has been degraded again. He went from arrogant, snarky, and awesomely evil in A Lack of Goodwill and Distant Memory, back to his old routine of YARR-ing and getting killed lamely. Though it was funny when the post fell on him. :D

On a note I just remembered, we finally get to see Odd's undershirt! :P And he actually seems to have other clothes. Then...why doesn't he wear them?

That's all I can really comment on. Next week's should be good...all I can say is, poor, poor Jer.

I give this one an 8/10.

[size=0]Oh, and if you're a spoilermonkey like me, I reccomend looking at the image gallery for the ep that just aired in France. You will find happiness in the oddest of ways. That's not a pun. Okay, maybe a half-pun.[/size]
Carth offline

Postby Taelia » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:35 pm

Oh, and Jim has a PINK cell phone! XD
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Beikoku no rikugun » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:21 pm

Today's episode ruled!!!!!! And now we know that those chips from the abandoned New Mexico military base's factory assembly line are cybernetic implants to control the cybernetic spiders from earlier!! I smell a big conspiracy! Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beikoku no rikugun offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby mitchmcmichael » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:48 pm

Not my favorite episode but it's up there. After the pink phone thing Jim seems kinda creepy.
mitchmcmichael offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby JesusFreak » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:06 pm

Maybe it was the CHeapest thing he could find to fit his budget...

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby Sithking Zero » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:16 pm

I suspect that he doesn't want to talk about it... XD
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Taelia » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:25 pm

Or he COULD give it to Sissi.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby timekitten » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:24 pm

Tangent128 wrote:Based on S3's order of sector deletion, I'd guess that the Ice Replika's next.
Well-No, wait. Better keep mouth shut.

Carth wrote:This was an okay episode, but as someone says, it had the bad luck *brick'd* to be aired after the unbeatable pwnage of Distant Memory, which was amazing, emotional, and so full of plot its seams burst. This...is filler.
Destroying a Replika still counts it as a filler? :umm:

Poor Odd. One thing after another. I was surprised he's not superstitious. I always thought it'd be Ulrich who'd say believing in luck is ridiculous. Anyway, for shame Odd, planning/doing a prank with Herb and Nicolas. :wag: "There's no such thing as luck, you got that!!!" I loved hearing Odd shout that when he came out of the scanner. :*D

Course, everyone has to spill superstitions in the Skid. Tres annoying for Odd. And me. I never heard of that rabbit one though. "You think you're smart, but I bet by the end of the day, you'll be crossing streets to avoid black cats." lol

"By the way Yumi, I never asked you this. Which monsters do you like fighting the least of all?" I bet so many U/Y shippers got their hopes up there. :*D

Return of the Kankerlots! And their presence is taken pretty seriously, instead of usually a joke. Oi, ten points for using Yumi's fan Ulrich!

"Who said I was jinxed?!" Not smart saying considered your day Odd. That's always a ticket for trouble! Oh, and look. It's been a long time since they showed the red overlapping the body parts on Jeremie's screen.

Hey, wait. What was those characters Yumi was typing with? Looked way too wierd for any language. Motherboards for electronic implants. I wonder if XANA plans to use them on more than simply spiders. Like humans.

William! *_* ...You just got completely owned by Yumi... :( Sheesh, what were you thinking? Everyone knows running parallel to a tall thing falling your way is a big no-no. :wag:

"What is this dumb bug anyhow?!" "That's exactly what I'm about to find out!" Shouldn't you have done that in the first place when Odd kept messing up, Jeremie?! Anyhow, wow. A bug that Jeremie couldn't fix at the end of the show. Possible reappearance in the future?

Was all the oo-ing and awing at Ulrich near the end really necessary? Look at it, it went to his head!

Jeremie reveals the Skid has an autopilot. Jim likes to be pretty in pink, with his phone...it's one of those things I'd rather not know. Overall, I'd give this episode a 9/10.
ImageImage
timekitten offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby Carth » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:44 pm

timekitten wrote:"By the way Yumi, I never asked you this. Which monsters do you like fighting the least of all?" I bet so many U/Y shippers got their hopes up there. :*D

I'll bet my pet Kankrelat that he was going to confess, and then chickened. I seem to vaguely remember a pause between those two sentences, but that could be a dub issue. XD

Maybe it's true that the Replika destruction qualifies it as non-filler. But still, the action in the real world seemed a bit static. Perhaps they have to get rid of their qualms about people getting hit onscreen- THEY DON'T DIE, OKAY?
Carth offline

Postby timekitten » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:56 pm

Aye, the 2D fighting is lacking most of the time. Unlike that part in Kiwodd with Yumi. Perhaps 3D fighting is easier to do, despite taking longer to make.
ImageImage
timekitten offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby CustomMagnum » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:01 pm

I'm wondering why William went back to his grunting mindless drone status after every awesomeness he showed in "Lack of Goodwill" and "Distant Memory". Maybe it has something to do with there being an activated Tower that XANA's using during this episode but not in the last two?

Or the writers are against being consistent or something like. With Lyoko we probably won't know about it.

CustomMagnum offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby timekitten » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:19 pm

Maybe because he still lost in those episodes, XANA cracked down on William. "No more independent thought for you until you straighten up, boy!" :wag: :*D
ImageImage
timekitten offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby JesusFreak » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:59 pm

Did anyone else catch the Scene where Ulrich turned hi head in one frame, as if it teleported?

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby CustomMagnum » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:04 pm

timekitten wrote:Maybe because he still lost in those episodes, XANA cracked down on William. "No more independent thought for you until you straighten up, boy!" :wag: :*D

Of course, we saw how well that worked out for XANA, William barely lasted a minute.

CustomMagnum offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:50 pm

timekitten wrote:Aye, the 2D fighting is lacking most of the time. Unlike that part in Kiwodd with Yumi. Perhaps 3D fighting is easier to do, despite taking longer to make.

I'd imagine so. 2D stuff is harder, because it's still drawn all by hand, meaning everyhting needs to be chorographed, and it can take months longer for the proper drawings to be done. That's one of the reasons Avatar was so widely accepted as a new kind of anime, not only because it came from Japan, but all the bending is based on Martial Arts moves, and really exist. So you have to get a lot done, but it's well done too. When drawing, you have to think about bones, muscles, balance, and where everything goes. When a knee is bent, where does the fabric behind the knee go? How is the shape changed?

Meanwhile, with #D, since it''s all essentially a lot of math problems on an XYZ coordinate grid, all you have to do is move an internal skeleton, and the computer does the rest. That's evident in Dog Day Afternoon, when Odd is scratching hgimself in 2d, it looks awkward. But when he does it on Lyoko, it looks like he's really doing it, and a little painfully, and something that should be impossible to do. But hey, the computer doesn't care, and it fits in with the whole superhero buisiness.

That, and it's cheaper.

And as for William, I wonder if Emotions overthrow XANA's contol over him? When he saw the pillar come down, He totally got scared, and Perhaps fear took over?

Ooh, someone get the crowbar, I'mma pry this plot open!

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby Mewberries151 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:50 am

Gotta say, I loved this episode, even with the awesomeness that was and is "Distant Memory" looming over it. A solid 9/10 from me.

*snerks* Oh where to start...Odd breaks Ulrich's mirror (apparently), and Ulrich's superstitious...which doesn't surprise me in the least. With karma like his...he'd have to be. xD

Big LOL to Jim giving Odd 8 hours of detention for putting cottage cheese in his shoes...and then giving him 4 more for ratting out Herb and Nicholas (And considering it was honestly Odd's idea to begin with and the fact that he was trying to get off scotch-free by passing the buck...I think that was totally fair. *snickers* )

Haha, I rather liked Azra. First character who we can honestly say had a distinct accent...which was kind of cool. And apparently she's Turkish if Jeremie's later comment was anything to go by (Jeremie knowing Turkish doesn't surprise me in the least, incidentally *snerk*).

Odd's arguements (and gestures xD ) in the Skid with Ulrich was hilarious...and I liked that they added in those little tidbits on superstitions in other cultures. The "Japanese 4" thing makes sense to me, as I think the Japanese word for 4 is "Shi", which really isn't a far cry from the word Death or Die which would be "Shinde" (*blinks and hopes she's gotten her Japanese correct* ^^ ). And the Rabbit/Sailor thing was neat...I didn't know that. XD

Heh, poor Odd, left out of the Replika destruction mission. I loved Yumi's expression when she didn't show up.

And holy cow, I'm so glad Ulrich went instead of Odd. Goodness gracious, the both of them were flirting right and left. I loved it! xD Ulrich's "disappointed" line about him accompanying Yumi instead of Odd was great (as was his expression when he said it, and Yumi's reply), and I loved their "Most/Least Favorite" monster conversation. I'm not sure what he was going to ask her before that topic came to mind...he might not have had anything in particular in mind other than that he wanted to be able to have some one on one talking with her (which they honestly don't do enough ^^ )...but it was adorable. :D

And then later when he saved her from that Kankrelat, that was cool...and sweet. (I loved that shot of him on the conveyor belt). Ha, and she was smiling afterwards, it was cute. *giggles* And then there "Rock Paper Scissors" for the chance to beat down on William. :*D I loved Yumi's expression when she suggested that. Hah, and Ulrich wins, to which both of their reactions were cute. *squeals* Eeee, so much Y/U cuteness! ^^ They need to go on missions together like that more. (:

Oh William...you need some severe anger management therapy. Growling angrily at the sky will not fix things, nor will standing on top of a stone pillar with your hand on your hips do it either, <s>even if it does look pretty spiffy</s>.

You do however, know how to make a good entrance. BOOT! XD

...And jump from rock to rock <s>like Cloud</s> rather well.

Yumi, you continue to rock. I don't care if you got devirtualized by a Blok in the last episode (because apparently Odd and Ulrich had trouble with it too ;D ), you rock...and quite literally. Not only did you totally outsmart and outmaneuver William...you rained down an entire stone column upon his tush and utterly squashed him flat. You poofed him. That is "pwn" to its greatest extent. *_*

And Ulrich, you also continue to rock. You took out 7 Roachsters (note the 7...lucky number ;) ), and then destroyed the Replika super computer. You also get your massive kudos for this episode. Granted you didn't drop rocks on anyone, but yes, you are the man. xD

Haha...and Odd your luck still stinks. Azra will not be dating you this week. Try again some other time. *snerks*

Jim, you've just sky-rocketed to ultra cool in my book. You have sparkles and hearts on your cell's screen...and it's hot pink. You rule. If it happens to have the Rainbow Brite or Sailor Moon themes as the ringtone too, you shall thereby and forevermore win at life.

...And that may or may not have been sarcasm. ;D

Definitely a 9/10 (1 point taken off for some animation and technical glitches ^^ ).
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Taelia » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:04 am

Jim, you've just sky-rocketed to ultra cool in my book. You have sparkles and hearts on your cell's screen...and it's hot pink. You rule. If it happens to have the Rainbow Brite or Sailor Moon themes as the ringtone too, you shall thereby and forevermore win at life.

Whatever, man. He's a loser as it is. XD
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Mewberries151 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:18 pm

Taelia wrote:

Whatever, man. He's a loser as it is. XD

Mewberries151 wrote:...And that may or may not have been sarcasm. ;D

:nyeh!:

*snickers* Which reminds me incidentally, that I love that he actually brought up Odd's taste in fashion. I think that's the first time any of the adults have bothered to really make an audible comment about it, and possibly only the second time anyone ever has (as I believe Ulrich said something about it in "XANA Awakens" *snerks* ).

...Buuuuurrrrnnnnn... xD
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Carth » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:15 am

I'm thinking the most plausible explanation for that is, perhaps, long periods of time wearing his sister's hand-me-downs. :P Or maybe he just likes pink. Who knows.

Just to put something worthwhile in the post...Ulrich's supersititious, hm? That's gotta get annoying sometimes.
Carth offline

Postby JesusFreak » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:44 am

Yeah, that must.

Why did William groan and shake his fist like that? It looked unnecessary, unless maybe his gauntlet is his power source...

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Next