Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:10 am

S4 Episode 12: "Lost At Sea"

Talk about the episodes of the original series here! (Seasons 1-4)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Your thoughts on this episode?

10 = Perfection!
32%
9 = Excellent
18%
8 = Very Good
14%
7 = Good
18%
6 = Decent
14%
5 = Fair
No votes
4 = ...Meh
No votes
3 = Bad
4%
2 = Very Bad
No votes
1 = Poor
No votes
0 = ...This episode should have been lost at sea...
No votes

Total votes : 28

S4 Episode 12: "Lost At Sea"

Postby Mewberries151 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:44 pm

If you've watched the French version already, or seen the screenshots, or read the summary somewhere...or even just caught the teaser of it on CN...you'll know what's in store for this episode. :D

I can't really say too much about this episode without giving a whole bunch of the fun away, other than there's lots of real world and Lyoko-based fun to be had during it. (And a ton of awesome screenshots as well. XD )

So, I might as well just skip straight to the part where I say, "discuss the episode here". ;)

Enjoy everyone! ^_^
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby yumi_yemimah » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:48 pm

I have not seen this episode yet but I hope its good. :D
yemimah
yumi_yemimah offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Location: Oh im in my room so read the sign on the door and get out and STAY OUT!!!

Postby Carth » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:03 pm

Would this be episode #77, Torpilles Virtuelles, by CL.fr standards? Or is it Lab Rat?

#77 looks like teh pwn. It's got Hiroki and Ulrich and Kongres. And Jeremie making funny hand movements. :D

Well, I'll be checking in tomorrow as always.
Carth offline

Postby UltimaHedgie » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:06 pm

Ugh, I missed the beginning. From what I've seen, though, it looks interesting. Don't do it, Ulrich! You know that she'll never forgive you!
UltimaHedgie offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Tangent128 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:07 pm

Act I:

Nothing really notable yet; new outfits, small Sissi cameo. Standard diary hijinks appear ahead.

EDIT: Act II:

More interesting. Yumi's mad, and lost. Maybe they'll need to use that sonar thing?

EDIT: Act III:

Aww... sweet ending. Sorta a filler episode, but the Network scenes were nice. The NavSkids seem to have shields now.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:34 pm

I think I actually just saw the first 3d mistake in the entire whow. When Yumi and Aelita run out of the arena in carthage, I swear they both dissapeared like their 3d avatars walked through a wall.

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby Kamekai » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:34 pm

Hmmm... Not a bad ep at all, with nicely done animations, so... 7/10. Who else laughed at the way Odd elbowed the elevator button?
Kamekai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Kamekai » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:36 pm

AngelBolt wrote:I think I actually just saw the first 3d mistake in the entire whow. When Yumi and Aelita run out of the arena in carthage, I swear they both dissapeared like their 3d avatars walked through a wall.

Really? I didn't notice that. But was that really the first 3d mistake in the whole entire whow?
Kamekai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby ambitiouslove » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:48 pm

I liked this one xD At least some of the UxA returns, too! ulrich was really sweet not to read her diary... but I'm sure Odd read a whole lot before hiding it lol

I was disapointed that the program didn't even work. I don't consider it a filler though, because it introduces a new program they're working on. Reminds me of the program that Jeremie worked on for awhile to virtualize Aelita.
ambitiouslove offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Kamekai » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:51 pm

:rofl2: I knew it wouldn't work from the start. If Jeremie's so smart, why doesn't he just create a virtual model in which to test his programs on? Oh wait, I forgot: We'd run out of episode plots.
Kamekai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Taelia » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:52 pm

Besides the Network battle, which was mid-tier, this episode gets a three in my opinion. It was NOT as good as "The Lake".
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby MewmiC » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:07 pm

The flashbacks that Yumi had with her and Hiroki were so sweet. A really nice episode, and we might be getting somewhere UxY, it's about time. Well aside from character development, we got to see William's ship...what was it called? Rorok I think. Eh...

Well yeah, the best for me had to be the flashbacks and Ulrich's reactions when Yumi was lost at sea. Not as good as 'The Lake' or 'Hot Shower' but those ones are probably going to be pretty hard to compete with, in my opinion anyway.

7/10
MewmiC offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TB3 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:12 pm

Well that's a good, solid episode - I think S4 has given us a lot of filler, and yet there are lots of subtle developments going on...somehow, these kids are changing and developing emotionally - note that Ulrich is actually questioning the whole 'just friends' thing and doing so in a positive manner, rather than sulking.

Yumi's scenes alone in the network were moving - when we heard the summary I envisioned scenes of her Navskid powerless in the water, but the sight of it tumbling aimlessly with the current conveyed such despair and loneliness - and Mirabelle is delivering the goods more and more - she mentioned once that Yumi doesn't get enough to say in her opinion, but this season seems to have given the prize material to Yumi - it's almost like Pick on Yumi week, except the other way round (hey, even the Satelite from the classic Pick-On-Yumi ep made a guest appearance).

And frankly, if the animators keep delivering us this georgous animation of our willowy spandex-clad Japanese beauty, I'm all for it (hey, what can I say, she's Jerome's favorite character and he considers her 'sexy' :D - if it's good enough for the director it's good enough for me!)

Nice moment with the Kongre too - it lurking outside the cockpit until William shows up in his Disney Prop...er...I mean 'mighty vessel' (which looks like something out of 20,000 Leagues Under The (Virtual) Sea) - well, at least he visibly isn't trying to compensate for anything - if he turned up in a freakin' battleship I'd have to add 'compensating big time' to our big bad folder of 'Xana's Sex Gags', right up there with the good-ol Tentacle Obsession) :P

Nice tracking shots in the 2D world too - especially that one towards the end moving across the sakura tree to Yumi's window.

And it's not only Jerome who's showing off with the camera it seems - based on that picture of Ulrich she's stashed away Yumi should be a photographer - step aside Tamiya, there's a new lady on the block!

Speaking of the media pair, it's weird to see Milly out of that pink parka btw - and she seems to have gotten taller (and...ummm...how can I say this without sounding creepy...er 'grown' in other ways)...and it's so cute to see Hiroki in wuuuuuv! ;) (mental note, we now know Hiroki's skipped a grade in school, which may explain his S1 absence)......(second mental note, please let someone blackmail Hiroki over this, thus avenging Yumi for all those countless 'Ulllllllllllllrich' taunts of his).

Jeremie seriously needs to start beta-testing his stuff - every time he runs a new program it either *bleeps* up some vital system or is too compliacted for anyone aside from him and Aelita to operate - well, at least he's improved from S1 - over a year to write the materialisation, and now he can do the Skid in a matter of weeks - our self-taught-quatum-computing-whiz-kid is getting good, as his cocky moves on the keyboard in this ep showed! :)

So in the end, not much development in this ep, but beautiful footage, heart, emotion, and some lovely music and vocal work - kudos guys, this is Lyoko filler at it's best! :)

Taelia wrote:Besides the Network battle, which was mid-tier, this episode gets a three in my opinion. It was NOT as good as "The Lake".

Because it didn't have any scenes of Sissi pining for Odd/William/Ulrich/XANA/Yumi/Mr. Chardin or Jim and Suzanne re-enacting the 'artistic' scenes from 'Titanic'? ;)
Last edited by TB3 on Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Taelia » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:16 pm

XD

*bursts out laughing*

Welcome back, TB3.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Kamekai » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:22 pm

*sigh* I seriously wish I had the time *coughpatiencecough* to write full-blown reviews... :no:

@the last comment: :rofl2:
Kamekai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Arcangel613 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:25 pm

TB3 wrote:And it's not only Jerome who's showing off with the camera it seems - based on that picture of Ulrich she's stashed away Yumi should be a photographer

Can someone please get a screen-shot of that picture?...Ulrich looked hot(maybe thats why Yumi took it)...
Formerly Raven_613

Tekirai wrote:69% of the population thinks sexual innuendo is funny

I saw you smiling.

Arcangel613 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Location: New Azarath...what, you don't read the comics? the old azarath was destroyed ages ago. Darn Trigon.

Postby JesusFreak » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:56 pm

EVIL NAVSKID

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby Kamekai » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:03 pm

@JesusFreak (also pronounced Hayzeus Freak)

And where doth William dock said Navskid?
Kamekai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Arcangel613 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:36 pm

kamekai wrote:@JesusFreak (also pronounced Hayzeus Freak)

And where doth William dock said Navskid?

xana already figured Willy would get blown up anyway so why bother making a place to dock it?
Formerly Raven_613

Tekirai wrote:69% of the population thinks sexual innuendo is funny

I saw you smiling.

Arcangel613 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Location: New Azarath...what, you don't read the comics? the old azarath was destroyed ages ago. Darn Trigon.

Postby Mewberries151 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:17 pm

Dang...TB3 covered almost everything I wanted to say about this episode. XD

I have to say now that I strongly disagree with what's been going around about the majority of Season 4 being "filler". Granted some of the episodes are "true filler" but if there's one thing that I like about CL, it's that every episode adds a piece to a larger puzzle, to put it metaphorically. We learn something new in each episode, whether it be a character and/or relationship development, a new program, or a new discovery in Lyoko. No episode is truly a filler (with the exception of a few episodes here and there), because there's always something being explained or developed further. ^_^

Anyway, onto more "Lost At Sea"-specific comments, I have to say that this episode warrants a 10 from me, if not for the brilliant animation (every single gesture and expression from Ulrich, Odd, and Jeremie in particular had me roaring :*D ), then for the touching and well-scripted plot.

Hiroki is absolutely adorable. To me...he's what you'd get if you mixed Odd and Ulrich together...and then set the "Age" to 11. *giggles* He was really cute (his expressions and gestures also had me laughing the whole time), and his attempts to make up with Yumi were sweet too.

I love that Yumi is getting some more episodes made about her (granted most of them include her "nearly" getting killed but... ;D ). Considering she's reportedly Tania Palumbo's favorite character, I'm glad to see her getting more and more development and air time. All of her Lyoko scenes were really touching, and I loved the flashbacks to her memories of Hiroki.

Incidentally, those flashbacks not only re-reference Yumi's ability to understand and tap out Morse Code (the table-tapping), but also appear to make some headway into explaining "where" Hiroki might have been in Season 1 (chronologically speaking). Hiroki says something along the lines of, "But Yumi, I'll miss you if you go away.". Perhaps Hiroki had to stay in Japan for some time with other family members, while Yumi and her parents settled things down in France first?

*ahem* Anyway...back to the episode at hand. xD;

Ulrich...Ulrich Ulrich Ulrich. *_* He was so sweet in this episode (and got a lot of air time, which was nice considering he had almost nil in "The Lake" xD ). That was real gentlemanly of him not to read her diary (a courtesy Yumi showed him way back in "Logbook"), even though the photo (which I'd also love a screenshot of) must have intrigued him something terrible. I also thought his "not being sure" about himself and Yumi being friends was cute, as well as the way he gave Hiroki advice ( ...and good advice at that *giggles* ) and helped him later to find Yumi's diary was just adorable. ^_^

Ha ha...and he blew William up. *snerk* Speaking of William...cool spiky ship. :D And we got more of those classic "William Expressions"! *snickers*

Odd was cute, as was Kiwi (*blinks* Wow, this was a big episode voice-wise for Barbara to voice, considering she does Ulrich, Hiroki, and Kiwi ^^ ). And I like the new outfits they designed for Milly and Tamiya. :) Now if we could just get the William clone some new duds... *is bricked*

Also...I am totally a Hiroki/Milly shipper now. <3

*giggles* Jeremie and Aelita were great too. I loved how Aelita just "translates" Jeremie's technobabble for the group now. I also like how she's been taking a lot of charge in explaining things to group as well, and keeping everyone "level-headed" when tensions and emotions are running high ( Her calming down and reassuring Ulrich, for example).

I also loved this exchange between Jeremie and Aelita after Odd asked to talk to Ulrich alone (after Hiroki and Yumi left).

A: "What do we do now, Jeremie?"
J: "We go to lunch." ^^

*snerk* Just adorable. X)

Definitely a 10 episode, for animation, plot, and general awesomeness. ^^
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MY85 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:45 am

Good episode. 7.5-8/10. Ulrich's less of an annoying dick and Yumi shows human and characther development. Why she never bothered to question why her diary got torn apart is beyond me. But when human beings are pissed or desperate, they can't think bright. Nice move from Moonscoop.

Liked the animation and episode plot. Still a bit of a filler, but it adds something into characther development.

It still sucks that William gets treated like crap, but who cares? Everyone's happy with the U-Y connection, Hiroki, Odd, Kiwi and whatnot.
Last edited by MY85 on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby JesusFreak » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:14 am

Okay, now that I am thinking clearly, I have a few things to ask. Where are the Kalamars(sp?) and Rekins? Why does Williams navskid look like something out of Atlantis? WHERE ARE MAH GLASSES-oh right here.

Hiroki and Milly. I can totally see that pairing. I think Ulrich learned his lesson with Johnny on bad advice too. In Lyoko, I especially loved the double team on the Kongre and the damage on the Navskid.

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby TB3 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:45 am

Just rewatched the episode and noticed a nice detail - whatever happened to Yumi to cause her to get lost did more than just displace her - it damaged her navskid - there's broken and mangled panelling down the sides of her hull and along her stablizer - and looking at the progression of shots, it seems to get worse as things go along.
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Taelia » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:32 pm

Jeremie cab always repair the damage, right?

And what is it with XANA having his own ship?
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:58 pm

Plot loophole.

And is it possible that's what it means by the ship breaking down?

In response to MewB's quote on A and J, I almost exxpected to hear this:
A: So, Jeremie, what do we do now?
J: Same theing we do every night, Aelita, try to take over the world!
A: O.0
J: I mean, eh, try to stop XANA from taking over the world. Yeah..... Umm... Lunch?

I knew there was a reason his head was shaped like that!

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Next