Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:46 pm

S4 Episode 9: I'd Rather Not Talk About It

Talk about the episodes of the original series here! (Seasons 1-4)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Rate the episode.

10%
20%
25%
10%
8%
13%
8%
3%
3%
3%

Total votes : 40

Postby Carth » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:05 am

Considering he was in the military in all around that time, yep, it's possible. But the guy I've really got my money on is Jean-Pierre Delmas. I don't know why. 0_0
Carth offline

Postby Kamekai » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:52 am

JeremyHopper wrote:You know, as far as Jim pushed the kids, it was about the same level I face in track/field, and I believe I'm the same age as Jeremy. It's not that bad. Great episode I thought, but I was hoping that they would reveal that Jim was part of Project Carthage or something, that would've been cool.

Same here. They picked a really misleading title, and it lowered our view of the episode... :no: Am I the only one who thinks this episode was still worth a 9/10?
Kamekai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby ambitiouslove » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:54 pm

I have a really long name wrote:Same here. They picked a really misleading title, and it lowered our view of the episode... :no: Am I the only one who thinks this episode was still worth a 9/10?

I gave it a 9/10 or a 10/10 I think lol I really thought the situation was funny... and yes, I laughed at "poop" because... I think that's funny they said that... Jeremie saying it so many times got to me xD And YAY for Yumi for being so harcore in battle! In previous seasons she'd always seem like... the first one to be devirtualized! :(

Actually I don't relate my real life to tv shows most of the time, but I guess I'm in the minority here lol. I'm just going to consider myself lucky I never had any really mean P.E. Teachers. My P.E. class was always my first class of the day, and so the teachers went to drink coffee and do paperwork, so about a good 75% of my Junior High P.E. class was sitting around chatting with my friends lol
ambitiouslove offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby UltimaHedgie » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:55 am

Y'know, with everyone dissing it like crazy, I was expecting it to be quite horrible. However, on the contrary, I liked it quite a bit. However, it does seem severely rushed at the beginning. As such, I have only given it an 8. Regardless, I thought it was quite good overall.
UltimaHedgie offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Kamekai » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:25 am

Thank you!
Kamekai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby JesusFreak » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:45 pm

Still, a possesed wild pig? Not even a swarm of wild pigs? Meh. :whatever:

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby Cassius335 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:29 pm

Maybe one was all XANA could find on short notice?
ImageImage
---
"There are advantages in being honest about your own limitations: you gain the right to talk about the limitations of others." - Science of The Discworld 3
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Carth » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:36 pm

True dat. How many wild boars are there in Boulogne-Billancourt, France?
Carth offline

Postby Writing_Addict » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:38 pm

Carth wrote:True dat. How many wild boars are there in Boulogne-Billancourt, France?

I didn't even know if there were any. :*D
Currently, you will not see me in Forums any longer. I will be on chat though. ^.~
Writing_Addict offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby MY85 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:03 pm

Wild boars do exist in France. Regardless of that, my score for the episode doesn't change that much.
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby Kamekai » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:46 am

guys, imagine what the attacks could be! It's TVY7, cut 'em some slack, or move up the rating. ^^;
Kamekai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby twilightchaos09 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:25 pm

I found this episode kinda strange. Especially since Jeremie seemed quite OOC in the beginning and end of the episode. But, yet again, they're starting to show actual injury now. First Yumi's bruises in "Crash Course", and now Jim's seriously swollen kneecap. Xana's getting a bit more violent(and smart, kill right away, don't wait 10 years!).

twilightchaos09 offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby codeTONY » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:41 pm

Dear Odd,

I enjoy your short shorts.

Love, Tony
OMG Japanese desu yo ( ^.^)( -.-)( _ _)
I am the 334th user here on LF. bee tee dubs.
gay | UxO, UxW shipper | artist | writer |musician | trilingual | cosplayer | Otakon '07 attendee as Odd~ | ConnectiCon '09 attendee | Avatard | Odd's boy
My LJ!

♪♫♥
codeTONY offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Phoenix Wolf » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:19 am

LDChaosBdon wrote:I found this episode kinda strange. Especially since Jeremie seemed quite OOC in the beginning and end of the episode. But, yet again, they're starting to show actual injury now. First Yumi's bruises in "Crash Course", and now Jim's seriously swollen kneecap. Xana's getting a bit more violent(and smart, kill right away, don't wait 10 years!).

I agree with you there, they are getting a bit more violent...
Where Reality Ends and Virtuality Begins!!!
Catch Ya On The Flipside!!
Phoenix Wolf offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Location: Searching for LadyLucy....Happy to be recovered from anxiey...

Postby bduddy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:08 am

Speaking of Carthage... does anyone have a pic of that "team photo" from the credits? I remember seeing someone in it, but I can't remember if it was Jim or someone else...
I like short signatures. Do you?

bduddy offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby yumi_yemimah » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:21 pm

I thought it was a pretty good episode. Jim is kinda chubby I wonder if he really did all those things.......anyway I dont think he pushed the kids to hard, they are the ones who asked for the trianing.Im glad that Jeremie is going to keep trianing and maybe soon he will be going to Lyoko with the others.
yemimah
yumi_yemimah offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Location: Oh im in my room so read the sign on the door and get out and STAY OUT!!!

Postby Lyoko Wario » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:07 pm

MakeYourself85 wrote:Wild boars do exist in France.

You know how I know there really are wild boars in France? From those Asterix comics. Obelix liked to eat roasted boar, remember? In fact, for one brief second as I wrote this the notion that perhaps Kadic is set at the same place where Asterix and entourage once lived crossed my mind.
Lyoko Wario offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby JesusFreak » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:58 pm

Why do they still have the Core out in the open? Can't they just embed it in a tower (not a Tower, a tower) with little holes for the data??

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby Kamekai » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:04 pm

Lyoko isn't a website. And cores are called cores for a reason xD
Kamekai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Cassius335 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:39 pm

True, but he's got a point. Maybe they could have hidden/protected it a bit better...
ImageImage
---
"There are advantages in being honest about your own limitations: you gain the right to talk about the limitations of others." - Science of The Discworld 3
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby jaimehlers » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:02 pm

I thought the episode was good. Not great, mind, because there have been better in recent memory, but hardly bad either.

Yes, Jim was being kind of harsh, especially towards Jeremie. But Jeremie has probably missed more classes of gym than he's actually attended, so it's little surprise that he wasn't cut any slack. But something to consider, adversity breeds character. A large reason why the "mean drill instructor" stereotype exists is because it's one of the most effective means to condition someone. It's not nice, but it's not intended to be either. It's intended to force the person to push themselves beyond their limits; when you get someone in authority yelling at you because you don't think you can go any further, often times you discover reserves you didn't even know you had. And almost all the time, you wouldn't push yourself to that point without the guy standing behind you prodding you to go on.

*shrug* Basically, the world in general isn't very nice, so it's necessary to use very harsh training methods sometimes. Not unnecessarily harsh, of course, there's no good reason to actually break someone's spirit and a lot of reasons not to. I remember reading in a book once where an armsmaster was talking about his training methods. He could be quite harsh towards his students, but it was because he was very concerned for their welfare. If he didn't push them as hard as they could handle, then they might die when they got out of training and out into the real world.

I do agree that mocking people isn't really conducive to good training under most circumstances, though I believe there are reasons why it's done in purely military training. But for something like this? Bad idea. And caribou poop? Okay, it was funny when he first brought it up...but caribou live in the tundra regions of Canada to my knowledge. The school is not anywhere near that, so it was just kind of stupid for Jim to keep talking about how they should use it to disguise their scent. Even as a gag, it was kind of lame.

I'm gonna give this an 8/10, though in reality it's more like a 7.5/10. I think they could have done better, but it was pretty solid all in all.

jaimehlers offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby zex marquise » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:26 am

This episode was definitely filler. No story development, and a plot that repeats from an earlier episode. XANA attacks the core of Lyoko just because he has a powerful need to destroy things, and even resorts to old methods of compounding the situation by cloaking the tower. Still, this episode was genuinely entertaining, with enough Jim jokes to last a month.

Jeremie is acting like a jerk again. Why is he so hard on everyone? Insecurities? He seems completely different from the lovable Jeremie from seasons 1 and 2, and it makes me sad. It serves him right to get stuck in Jim's boot camp. I was laughing with Yumi when Jim told him he had to be there or else.

Jim was funny, in my opinion. It just makes sense that he would try to be hardcore and act like a drill sergeant. I don't see why everyone is getting upset because some fictional oaf of a Gym teacher was pushing the team beyond their limits. That's what you're supposed to do, and anyways, it's just a kids' show. People are taking things way too seriously, but I guess that's to be expected from the people who brought us Lets Talk Tech for three years in a row ;) . A little bit of obsession keeps life interesting. Like there's this one show called Gundam Wing and there's this guy named Zechs and...

Am I the only one who thought the effect for making the kids' cheeks look flushed was really weird looking? It just seemed... not right somehow. Another thing I've noticed: In France, high-waters are definitely in style, and no one wears socks with them.

I really enjoyed seeing the super epic flashback shots as Jim recounted his adventures. Those screenshots would make great wallpapers. Seeing the exaggerated images of what Jeremie thought really happened was very funny, too. It's good to know the writers aren't completely dry on jokes. I want to hear about the time Jim jumped from a motorcycle onto a moving train and disarmed a nuclear missile with nothing but a wad of gum and some paper clips, while simultaneously fighting off three sword-wielding ninjas with a herring. 'Cause you know he did that once, but he'd rather not talk about it.

Morales!
Making life-saving inventions out of household materials!
Morales!
Getting in and out of ultra-sticky situations!
Morales!
The guy's a freakin' genius!
Morales!
Hint: If you don't watch Saturday Night Live, look up MacGruber on youtube to see why this is funny.

XANA's method of attack was really boring this time around. He just possessed the nearest dangerous animal he could find and set it loose on the team. He just doesn't do attacks like in the good old days, when even food could turn into a giant monster bent on your destruction.

It was a nice change seeing Jeremie's resourcefulness and wit appreciated by Jim for once. They had a whole bonding experience in the cave, hiding from the boar. Jeremie made a splint for Jim, and Jim talked about his days in Quebec hunting arsonists and covering himself in caribou feces. The guy must be a bard of wisdom, experience, and funny anecdotes. With all that experience, he should be a national hero.

Ulrich was behind the controls of the super compy this time around, and he actually seemed to know what he was doing to a certain extent. Hopefully having the rest of the group able to operate it means we'll be seeing a lot more of Jeremie in action on earth besides getting electrocuted and knocked unconscious. One can always hope.

I liked the battle sequence between Yumi and XANA (William). He starts swinging his huge-frik'n sword around like Darth Vader choppin' down a tree and gets it stuck in the wall. Classic. Yumi dodges the attack and jumps on the sword, kicking Xanliam back. Just like Animatrix and Advent Children. Dodge, jump on sword, counter-attack. Repeat as necessary. Then Xanliam uses the Force to retrieve his sword. It was glowing orange-yellow when he did it. Ooooo scary. He blocks Yumi's attack and mumbles the fastest line in CL history, a new record for Xanly, who mostly just laughs maniacally and yells "Argh!" I think he said, "That was a folly shot! It's all over for you!" I've never heard "folly" used that way before. Is that golf lingo or something? Then Yumi kicks him up into the path of her fan, knocking him off the edge in the process and devirtualizing him. The entire duel lasted only 30 seconds. Oh, Xanly, why do you suck now? You haven't been taking your Jenova*, have you? You know you're supposed to take them twice a day after lunch.

It's cool seeing how the group's relationship with Jim has evolved lately. He used to be the guy who always suspected the group of being up to no good. Now, after they showed an interest in his knowledge and past, he's warmed up to them, and even has respect for Jeremie. Who would have thought we'd ever see that glorious day?

Well, it wasn't the best episode ever, maybe it wasn't even in the top ten, but it was still a fun episode. Jim made it worth watching by showing his nice side again after a long hiatus. I hope to see more of it in the future.

*Warning: Symptoms of taking Jenova include loss of hair color, paling of skin pigmentation, glowing in the dark, depression, developing mental instabilities, mood swings, increased risk of becoming Goth, the ability to summon disproportionately large swords, and the ability to fly.
Last edited by zex marquise on Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My other car is a gundam.
zex marquise offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby jaimehlers » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:20 am

One thing's for sure from this episode. William's gonna have to start learning some real tricks in order to remain an effective bad guy. The far greater experience of the kids is making itself known (which is why he keeps going down faster and faster), and his usual tactic of using brute strength to overpower them isn't going to cut it any longer.

jaimehlers offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby Kamekai » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:51 pm

zex marquise wrote:This episode was definitely filler. No story development, and a plot that repeats from an earlier episode. XANA attacks the core of Lyoko just because he has a powerful need to destroy things, and even resorts to old methods of compounding the situation by cloaking the tower. Still, this episode was genuinely entertaining, with enough Jim jokes to last a month.

Jeremie is acting like a jerk again. Why is he so hard on everyone? Insecurities? He seems completely different from the lovable Jeremie from seasons 1 and 2, and it makes me sad. It serves him right to get stuck in Jim's boot camp. I was laughing with Yumi when Jim told him he had to be there or else.

Jim was funny, in my opinion. It just makes sense that he would try to be hardcore and act like a drill sergeant. I don't see why everyone is getting upset because some fictional oaf of a Gym teacher was pushing the team beyond their limits. That's what you're supposed to do, and anyways, it's just a kids' show. People are taking things way too seriously, but I guess that's to be expected from the people who brought us Lets Talk Tech for three years in a row ;) . A little bit of obsession keeps life interesting. Like there's this one show called Gundam Wing and there's this guy named Zechs and...

Am I the only one who thought the effect for making the kids' cheeks look flushed was really weird looking? It just seemed... not right somehow. Another thing I've noticed: In France, high-waters are definitely in style, and no one wears socks with them.

I really enjoyed seeing the super epic flashback shots as Jim recounted his adventures. Those screenshots would make great wallpapers. Seeing the exaggerated images of what Jeremie thought really happened was very funny, too. It's good to know the writers aren't completely dry on jokes. I want to hear about the time Jim jumped from a motorcycle onto a moving train and disarmed a nuclear missile with nothing but a wad of gum and some paper clips, while simultaneously fighting off three sword-wielding ninjas with a herring. 'Cause you know he did that once, but he'd rather not talk about it.

Morales! Making life-saving inventions out of household materials!
Morales! Getting in and out of ultra-sticky situations!
Morales! The guy's a freakin' genius!
Morales!
Hint: If you don't watch Saturday Night Live, look up Macruber on youtube to see why this is funny.

XANA's method of attack was really boring this time around. He just possessed the nearest dangerous animal he could find and set it loose on the team. He just doesn't do attacks like in the good old days, when even food could turn into a giant monster bent on your destruction.

It was a nice change seeing Jeremie's resourcefulness and wit appreciated by Jim for once. They had a whole bonding experience in the cave, hiding from the boar. Jeremie made a splint for Jim, and Jim talked about his days in Quebec hunting arsonists and covering himself in caribou feces. The guy must be a bard of wisdom, experience, and funny anecdotes. With all that experience, he should be a national hero.

Ulrich was behind the controls of the super compy this time around, and he actually seemed to know what he was doing to a certain extent. Hopefully having the rest of the group able to operate it means we'll be seeing a lot more of Jeremie in action on earth besides getting electrocuted and knocked unconscious. One can always hope.

I liked the battle sequence between Yumi and XANA (William). He starts swinging his huge-frik'n sword around like Darth Vader choppin' down a tree and gets it stuck in the wall. Classic. Yumi dodges the attack and jumps on the sword, kicking Xanliam back. Just like Animatrix and Advent Children. Dodge, jump on sword, counter-attack. Repeat as necessary. Then Xanliam uses the Force to retrieve his sword. It was glowing orange-yellow when he did it. Ooooo scary. He blocks Yumi's attack and mumbles the fastest line in CL history, a new record for Xanly, who mostly just laughs maniacally and yells "Argh!" I think he said, "That was a folly shot! It's all over for you!" I've never heard "folly" used that way before. Is that golf lingo or something? Then Yumi kicks him up into the path of her fan, knocking him off the edge in the process and devirtualizing him. The entire duel lasted only 30 seconds. Oh, Xanly, why do you suck now? You haven't been taking your Jenova*, have you? You know you're supposed to take them twice a day after lunch.

It's cool seeing how the group's relationship with Jim has evolved lately. He used to be the guy who always suspected the group of being up to no good. Now, after they showed an interest in his knowledge and past, he's warmed up to them, and even has respect for Jeremie. Who would have thought we'd ever see that glorious day?

Well, it wasn't the best episode ever, maybe it wasn't even in the top ten, but it was still a fun episode. Jim made it worth watching by showing his nice side again after a long hiatus. I hope to see more of it in the future.

*Warning: Symptoms of taking Jenova include loss of hair color, paling of skin pigmentation, glowing in the dark, depression, developing mental instabilities, mood swings, increased risk of becoming Goth, the ability to summon disproportionately large swords, and the ability to fly.

Yes, the bruises were quite... odd. And...

That was a faulty shot Yumi, it's all over for you!"
Finally, another person who like those flashbacks! :D
Kamekai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Cassius335 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:52 pm

Did you have to quote the whole thing?
ImageImage
---
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

PreviousNext