Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:51 am

Season 4 Episode 3: Opening Act

Talk about the episodes of the original series here! (Seasons 1-4)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Opening Act's rating...

10 - Divine isn't enough to describe this episode.
13%
9 - Stuff like this is just what Code Lyoko needs.
28%
8 - What a great episode.
28%
7 - Not bad, not brilliant, but it's worth the watch.
21%
6 - I expected more, but it wasn't that bad.
5%
5 - Meh...
No votes
4 - Boring, boring...
3%
3 - I'm better off hanging out with Paris Hilton in jail.
No votes
2 - I can't believe I watched this crap.
3%
1 - I'm seriously considering to stop watching Code Lyoko forever.
No votes
0 - This episode proves that Flavor Flav is the sexiest man alive.
No votes

Total votes : 39

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:30 pm

yeah, well, If william went evil with XANA, can you imaginw what would happen with Jim?

Besides, I don't think he'd fit in the scanners.

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby Taelia » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:37 pm

Actually, he would. Thanks to an ingenius process TB3 calls 'multidimensionality'. ;)
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Mewberries151 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:55 pm

Tangent128 wrote:Well, I know who voted 2 on the poll...

Take a deep breath, then repeat to yourself 'It's just a show, I should really just relax'

XD Nice MST3K reference. ;)

Really though, Taelia, not to be mean but, unless you're going to give a constructive critique of the episode and why you didn't like it...which you haven't...it's kind of semi-flaming when you don't give a reason and just post angrily (particularly in big text like that). ^^; (And from your third post...do you mean "miss" as in "didn't see" this episode? Because then how/why are you flaming it? o.O )

Anyway, with that aside, I was super impressed by this episode. The real world story was a tiny bit "meh"...but only because I already knew most of what was going to happen from spoilers. XD; But that's my own fault. *snickers*

I was really happy for the J/A in this episode, which was really sweet. I really wanted to give Jeremie hugs throughout the whole episode. He was adorable. And that was awesome of him to submit her CD for her. Awwww!

I also liked that Yumi and Ulrich were shown walking around together. Yes, I am that pathetic when it comes to Y/U. X)

Chris was interesting, Jim was pretty funny (I particularly liked the "chase" scene at the very beginning with him), and the DJ tryouts were funny. Sissi's a regular Yoko Ono. XD

I kind of liked Mathias' mix though. ^^;

Anyway, I loved Jeremie's line towards Jim at the end. "I'm getting tired of explaining this to you Jim because in 10 seconds, you're not going to remember it anyway." XDXDXD At least they're addressing the subject of Jim constantly getting RTTP-ed. Nice poke at the fourth wall.

The "No questions" lines were pretty amusing in that respect too. ^^

Now for the 3D scene...whoa SNAP! :*D

Yumi kicked some serious William tush! XD And literally. *snerk*

Seriously though, her fight scene was awesome (and for a change she didn't fall off of anything...Aelita did *snerk* ). I loved how she faked William out with her fans and then nailed him from behind. I think she also called him a "newbie" too. X) Go Yumi!

And go Ulrich! :D Witty fight banter! *snickers* I loved both the "Date" line and the "Fight" line. If this wasn't a rivalry before...it certainly is now. ^.^

Odd was awesome too (and I loved the teamwork moves he and Ulrich used ;D ). And Aelita...aw, heck, they all were awesome on Lyoko.

Black manta! XD I love that thing. *snickers*

And they totally got William to back down...that's a first. O.o

So yeah, the 3D scenes more than earn this episode an 8 and the 2D scene that I liked bump it to a 9. *nods*

And I'm totally convinced those new scanner sequences were thrown in on purpose. *snickers*
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Taelia » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:05 pm

Sorry, Mew. I'm just angry.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Mewberries151 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:11 pm

It's fine...I'm just curious though as to why you hated it so much...apart from Jim getting RTTP-ed again since you didn't really explain much other than that.

Unless that was the only reason? O_o;

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Taelia » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:14 pm

My other complaints are Jim having a nephew (O_o) and Sissi singing...badly. I mean, come on. Jodi most likely is an EXCEPTIONAL singer, and yet her character, Sissi, is singing horribly. :no: Not impressive to say the least.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Stonecreek » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:16 pm

Once again, the animation is proving to be the reason to watch this season, rather than the detrement it was to me in season one. The actions scenes were crisp, well-choreographed affairs, and Yumi was really bad*ss for the first time in a long while (this season has felt like pick on Yumi, take 2). Plot, as it stands, is predictable as always, and the dialogue sometimes contrived. But overall, the creators are trying to step up the show little by little. I just can't see where they're taking it yet. I'm getting tired of formulaic episodes, but give me enough eye candy and I can overlook that.

YDV wrote:Well you see, the amount of time we didn't normally hang around BKO is kind of like potential energy, and then when we all finally came back at the same time it's like letting loose a catapult. 8D

It's all very scientifical. |D

Ah, memories...
http://z10.invisionfree.com/Anime_and_M ... hp?act=idx
Stonecreek offline

Postby MewmiC » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:20 pm

I loved the 3-D scenes in this episode, the fights are getting faster and the facial expressions were great. My favorite scenes were probably Ulrich and Odd's teamwork and when William got his sword stuck in the tree :D . And new outfits in the scanners!

Jeremie seems to be borderlining obsession with there fight against XANA, but I think it was sweet when he submitted Aelita's demo for her. Jim being mobbed by fangirls was great and the 'I'd rather not talk about it' line apparently runs in the family. Now if only we could get out of Chris which jobs Jim actually had. ;)

Much better compared to the last two episodes, so it gets a nine. Now can someone please tell me what Jeremie was talking about when he was on his computer? The only thing I get is there working on a ship to get into the net.
MewmiC offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Taelia » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:26 pm

Yeah, you guys are right, There were some good points to this one... :)
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Mewberries151 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:31 pm

Taelia wrote:My other complaints are Jim having a nephew (O_o) and Sissi singing...badly. I mean, come on. Jodi most likely is an EXCEPTIONAL singer, and yet her character, Sissi, is singing horribly. :no: Not impressive to say the least.

Well...I can't really see why it would be unusual for Jim to have a nephew...Actually that would mean that he has a sibling too. XD ...An interesting idea to be sure. ^^

As for Ms. Forrest being a singer...I know Mrs. Weber-Scaff was, but I can't remember if Ms. Forrest said the same. Someone should ask her. ^^; At any rate though...I'm not sure if that was "Sissi's voice" per say, in that mix...it might have just been a random vocal track. Then again...that'd also be something to ask the VAs...or the composer. :D

Incidentally, though, that's not a first to have a VA who can sing well, and yet have a character that sings badly. Veronica Taylor (Ash's voice actor in Pokemon) can sing rather well...and yet one never hears Ash since in the series...not well anyway. XD;

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tangent128 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:47 pm

Mewberries151 wrote:

Take a deep breath, then repeat to yourself 'It's just a show, I should really just relax'

Now you're making me feel guilty for not actually watching that show...

MewmiC wrote:Now can someone please tell me what Jeremie was talking about when he was on his computer? The only thing I get is there working on a ship to get into the net.

That's all he was really saying. The rest was pure technobabble. (Rule of thumb: anything with the word "flux" in it is technobabble.)
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Sithking Zero » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:48 pm

Mewberries151 wrote:
Taelia wrote:My other complaints are Jim having a nephew (O_o) and Sissi singing...badly. I mean, come on. Jodi most likely is an EXCEPTIONAL singer, and yet her character, Sissi, is singing horribly. :no: Not impressive to say the least.

Well...I can't really see why it would be unusual for Jim to have a nephew...Actually that would mean that he has a sibling too. XD ...An interesting idea to be sure. ^^

Yeah, Taelia, what's the deal? Can't a guy have a family? I mean, I personally have an uncle Jim myself (though if it were him in CL rather then Jimbo, you can bet the series would be over because the kids would have turned themselves in. Uncle Jim can be SCARY...)

Anyway, I think it's nice that Jim has a nephew. It kinda gives him a little more depth as a character, and gives us a little more info into his backstory.
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Taelia » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:54 pm

Actually, I think you guys are absolutely right. :)
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Mewberries151 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:02 pm

Tangent128 wrote:
Mewberries151 wrote:

Now you're making me feel guilty for not actually watching that show...

*snickers* They're must be some videos or something of it somewhere...it's definitely worth a watch. *nods* :)

Tangent128 wrote:
MewmiC wrote:Now can someone please tell me what Jeremie was talking about when he was on his computer? The only thing I get is there working on a ship to get into the net.

That's all he was really saying. The rest was pure technobabble. (Rule of thumb: anything with the word "flux" in it is technobabble.)

Right. It's mostly technobabble. If anything I think he might have been trying to figure out how to get the ship to enter the Digital Sea without being "destroyed" like everything else is that enters it (besides William)...but there's really no telling either way. *giggles*

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MewmiC » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:12 pm

Okay thanks for clearing that up, I feel a little better now (as in less clueless).
MewmiC offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Beikoku no rikugun » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:39 pm

No expression which is not vulgar can express my anger! Opening act aired in the whole United States except in MY area! The Pacific time zone! I WILL SAY VULGAR WORDS NOW!

Beikoku no rikugun offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby Reploid CB » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:54 pm

It didn't air in the west? Huh, that's strange o.O; Well, it can either be caught next Tuesday at 10, or maybe you can find it online sometime between now and then.

As for my personal thoughts on the episode... I think Mew summed everything up pretty nicely xD Although I will say this: I found new love for Aelita in this episode, with her various expressions (gotta love that one early smirk she had while they were all reading the Kadic news), her independence showing again, and her line to the Krabs XD "What's wrong, ladies?"
(Banner by Mew)

(Click for relevant cutscene xD. Sig and icon by me)

| DeviantArt |

- female - 24 - OxA/JxA/UxY - fanartist - banner maker -
Reploid CB offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby greenshoelaces » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:57 pm

W00t!!!
That episode was sooo fun to watch!!!
...I wonder if the next will be at least as good.
Poor Odd...that drummer guy didn't like his music...
...I want to hear the rest of Aelita's demo...Does she sing??
...she sings(or used to) in Lyoko...and she could protect herself with it..!!
...I wish I could sing... :no: ;__;
...but I can't...
Oh well.
"WOE TO DA TOFU COW!!!"
greenshoelaces offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby bduddy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:08 pm

*Runs in after not posting for forever*
I'm in the West (San Francisco area), and it aired for me...
*Runs out, never to be seen again*
I like short signatures. Do you?

bduddy offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby TB3 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:54 pm

Mewberries151 wrote:Right. It's mostly technobabble. If anything I think he might have been trying to figure out how to get the ship to enter the Digital Sea without being "destroyed" like everything else is that enters it (besides William)...but there's really no telling either way. *giggles*

(cracks knuckles, grins) - oh give me a transcript and I'll work something out - in fact I have a theory already based on your post Mew :)

'Flux' in a scientific sense implies a flow - so if it's the Digital Sea I'd associate 'flow' with the motion of the 'water' - now some (i.e. LTT) feel the virtual sea is composed of raw data - sorta like all the data in the supercomputer - therefore the lethal effect is due to the flow of the data which breaks down anything that enters it (sorta like waves wearing down rock) - or in simpler terms, due to the 'data-flux'

Jeremie then (as Mew surmised) may be developing shields or a protocol to allow safe passage through the Sea.

Lol - I've still got it! :D When I see the episode for myself I'll try and come up with something better ;)
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby greenshoelaces » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:04 am

TB3, I worship your brilliance.
"WOE TO DA TOFU COW!!!"
greenshoelaces offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby SilverPrince » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:05 am

*blinks* You are awesome. What's next? Are you going to explain the Universe? With an answer besides 42? Oh wait, I already have an answer for that.

Stonecreek wrote:I miss the boob bots. At least they were peddling something I have interest in...
SilverPrince offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby greenshoelaces » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:14 am

..And I have an answer to that...
...I think...
...Nope...nevermind, I don't....
"WOE TO DA TOFU COW!!!"
greenshoelaces offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby TB3 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:20 am

Lyoko422 wrote:*blinks* You are awesome. What's next? Are you going to explain the Universe? With an answer besides 42? Oh wait, I already have an answer for that.

Lol, why thankyou :) - as for The Meaning Of Liff, uh, Life, let's consult 'Monty Python's Flying Circus"

(is handed sheet of paper, reads aloud)

"It's nothing very special really: Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."

Viola - time now I think, for a piece of cake and waiting for my chance to see 'Opening Act' ;)
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bduddy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:23 am

Lyoko422 wrote:*blinks* You are awesome. What's next? Are you going to explain the Universe? With an answer besides 42? Oh wait, I already have an answer for that.

Come on, everyone knows the real answer is 54! Can't anyone do math?
*ahem*
Anyway, in terms of the topic-I thought this episode was rather disappointing. I know there has to be filler, but this episode was, to me, filler, and overly formulaic to boot. Yeah, there were one or two good moments, but other than that, I was unimpressed.
I like short signatures. Do you?

bduddy offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

PreviousNext