Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:14 pm

Season 4 Episode 3: Opening Act

Talk about the episodes of the original series here! (Seasons 1-4)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Opening Act's rating...

10 - Divine isn't enough to describe this episode.
13%
9 - Stuff like this is just what Code Lyoko needs.
28%
8 - What a great episode.
28%
7 - Not bad, not brilliant, but it's worth the watch.
21%
6 - I expected more, but it wasn't that bad.
5%
5 - Meh...
No votes
4 - Boring, boring...
3%
3 - I'm better off hanging out with Paris Hilton in jail.
No votes
2 - I can't believe I watched this crap.
3%
1 - I'm seriously considering to stop watching Code Lyoko forever.
No votes
0 - This episode proves that Flavor Flav is the sexiest man alive.
No votes

Total votes : 39

Postby greenshoelaces » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:24 am

Wow....
I've seen some of Monty Pythons Flying Circus...
and who couldn't
love the Holy Grail???
"WOE TO DA TOFU COW!!!"
greenshoelaces offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby Arcangel613 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:41 am

This is my username wrote:new scanner scenes?

*uncharacteristic Fangirly squeal*

Ulrich looked hot!! with his collar up *_* , and Odd, that hoodie looked sooooooo good on him. and Yumi looked really cool to, but Ulrich, AH! *slode*. looked like one of those rapper dudes!
Yumi and ulrich's fight with william was awsome, Yumi's little almost break dancing thing right at the begining(or at least thats what it looked like to me) and ulrich holding his own against william really shows how much hes improved. and the animation during this episode was excellent. and Aileta finally getting some credit for her awsome music is great! she deserves some atention!

overall great ep. 10/10

p.s. as of last wednesday 6/13, offically 15 years old! *party*
Formerly Raven_613

Tekirai wrote:69% of the population thinks sexual innuendo is funny

I saw you smiling.

Arcangel613 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Location: New Azarath...what, you don't read the comics? the old azarath was destroyed ages ago. Darn Trigon.

Postby UltimaHedgie » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:12 am

Ugh, no Youtube link yet... me feeling emo again...

Seriously, sounds nice. Also nice that the characters are actually getting a change of clothes for a change. I'll await someone posting this on Youtube as I can no longer watch CL anymore after dropping our satellite connection. (Well, okay, so that actually happened, like, Autumn '06, but I got to see the other ep's early...)
UltimaHedgie offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TB3 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:21 am

Saw the episode at last! :)

Breath-taking visuals (cudos Jerome), stunning new music (congrats Herman), and a really fun set of voices (aye-up guys) :)

It was nice to see a return to Kadic-Environment Humor but also fun to see the new backgrounds and imaging techniques S4 is putting to use.

And Lyoko - the fights, setting and pacing is...fantastique - a magnum opus! S4 is heating up, and I can't wait to see the rest of the ride! :)

9/10
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby greenshoelaces » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:24 am

I want to see the next episode now, but it hasn't aired yet. :no: ;__;
"WOE TO DA TOFU COW!!!"
greenshoelaces offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby SilverPrince » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:41 am

I have a theory explaining the new outfits.

Perhaps they were meant for a later episode. For some reason, they look like something they might wear to a concert, such as the one that Aelita may be opening. It just sorta popped into my head. Or maybe they're just not used to not recycling shots...

Stonecreek wrote:I miss the boob bots. At least they were peddling something I have interest in...
SilverPrince offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby greenshoelaces » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:44 am

In Lyoko, I think that the things over Yumi's eyebrows look quite out of place.
"WOE TO DA TOFU COW!!!"
greenshoelaces offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby Mewberries151 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:17 am

greenshoelaces wrote:In Lyoko, I think that the things over Yumi's eyebrows look quite out of place.

Those "things" over Yumi's eyebrows are decorations called "tsukuri-mayu" (literally "painted eyebrows" in Japanese), that mark Yumi as a woman of the upper warrior class.

Reference 1

Reference 2

...In that sense, they're not so out of place...just another part of Yumi's heritage asserting itself. ^^
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MY85 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:09 am

The last time I've seen a really, really good Code Lyoko episode was watching The Key. Now I can finally claim that I've seen a brilliant episode on Opening Act. Maybe I'm exagerating right now, but I was very pleased with the episode, and that doesn't happen much often.

The first minutes were solid (same can't be said for WR and DT), even if they made Jim go the Hagrid way (mentioning the identity of his nephew and saying he shouldn't said that). Jim getting chased by girls was amusing. Reminded me of The Beatles when they got chased by a wild mob of fans. The presentation of Chris was done decently well. Subsonics aren't my favourite band (only 2 or 3 songs are good, the rest blows), but I liked the Chris characther for what I've seen.

The only thing I totally despised about the episode was Jeremie being a prick to Aelita, preventing her to go to the audition. For f**k's sake, give this kid a godd*mn life. Thankfully, the rest of the episode was great enough to cover this thing.

As expected, the auditions from the students pretty much bombed.

Chris talking to Jim explained why Subsonics changed to Subdigitals. Loved to hear the explaining of that rather than getting that little name change ignored.

The portray of the polymorphic spectres during this episode was greatly done. And I liked the TNA references, Ulrich yelling "Impact" and the botched Gore from Jim, lol.

Lyoko scenes were awesome. Forest Sector FTW. New music background is great for the battle scenes with William, Yumi and Ulrich.

Great episode. 9/10

So far: Opening Act > William Returns > Double Take
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby Cassius335 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:16 am

*Blink* Rodri LIKED an episode? :omg:

Yes, I've looked outside and it's raining meteors. The World is Ending...
ImageImage
---
"There are advantages in being honest about your own limitations: you gain the right to talk about the limitations of others." - Science of The Discworld 3
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Carth » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:41 am

And the meteors were the hot rocks cast outta hell when it decided to freeze over. Heh heh heh...

I forgot to mention one thing I LOVED about this ep. The music. WOW. Xanliam's theme...I wanna get a copy of that and listen to it all day. They improved most of the music overall.
Carth offline

Postby Astro-Xana » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:00 pm

So it turns out that after watching "Opening Act," one of my predictions has actually come true which is Xana William possessing Odd's future flash which I predicted on May 25. But not only that, I predicted that it would be a dark version of Odd's future flash (a dark vision) which came true as well, though it wasn't a black/purple glow in his dark vision as I stated, but it was actually a red glow in his vision when he saw Aelita going towards the tower.

Read the 2nd paragraph of this post of mine to see for yourself:

http://codexana.net/lyokofreak/forum/vi ... start=1247

Astro-Xana offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Location: Fighting Xana's demon monsters in the Nexus Core Star Center of the Network

Postby Taelia » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:22 pm

David's voice acting in this was great, too! Now that I think about it, S4 is shapoing up well, even though there are some things I want to see.

"Spectre or not, he isn't getting my autograph!"

David, HOW do you do it? You're a genius!
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Beikoku no rikugun » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:27 pm

I am watching the episode online now, but im distracted by what looks like a picture of the new spaceship thingy! It's in the opening song, after you see Jeremy kick his head back! WOW!

Beikoku no rikugun offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby AmericanLyokoTeam » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:10 pm

Color me irrationally biased, but this filler was filler even by CL filler standards. With the exception of some fun fight choreography on Lyoko, nothing happened here that was spectacular in the least. Heck, XANA was particularly off his game, Yumi was on Lyoko not 15 seconds after Aelita. Didn't care for the subplot either, as 'Jeremie and Aelita fight over the music hobby' has been done literally in the exact same fashion before. Only thing it developed/left me wondering at all is if this Subdigitals plot is going to recur since it was supposed to be some ongoing thing.

6/10.
R.I.P. in peace, Polar and Forest sectors 2003-2013
AmericanLyokoTeam offline
The Rank of Triumph!
The Rank of Triumph!

Postby MY85 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:22 pm

Coming to think about it, I think this episode is more of an 8/10 than a 9/10. I guess my mood played a trick on me. But I'm serious that this episode is better than almost all of the stuff we've seen in Season 3. I do also value real-life scenes as much as the Lyoko scenes. When both things are good, you get a good episode.

The one new thing to think about: Jeremie told Aelita that he's about to develop a virtual ship.

So I guess each Code Lyoko shows at least one new thing to learn.

I'm still wondering why Xana-William still wants Aelita. Is there still something else they could obtain from her?
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby bduddy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:22 pm

Beikoku no rikugun wrote:I am watching the episode online now, but im distracted by what looks like a picture of the new spaceship thingy! It's in the opening song, after you see Jeremy kick his head back! WOW!

It's in Jeremie's part too, which makes me optimistic that he will eventually be virtualised... :D
I like short signatures. Do you?

bduddy offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby MewmiC » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:37 pm

MakeYourself85 wrote:I'm still wondering why Xana-William still wants Aelita. Is there still something else they could obtain from her?

I think Xana-William's just targeting Aelita because she's not much of a fighter, therefore easiest to get rid of. Plus with her out of the way their's no one to deactivate any towers and stop his attacks.
MewmiC offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby MY85 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:42 pm

MewmiC wrote:
MakeYourself85 wrote:I'm still wondering why Xana-William still wants Aelita. Is there still something else they could obtain from her?

I think Xana-William's just targeting Aelita because she's not much of a fighter, therefore easiest to get rid of. Plus with her out of the way their's no one to deactivate any towers and stop his attacks.

It's true that she's important to prevent attacks outside Lyoko. Aelita can fight now, unlike Season 1. She's got wings, pink orbs, agility and other moves, which makes her stronger than Odd now.
MY85 offline

Postby Writing_Addict » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:17 pm

MakeYourself85 wrote:
MewmiC wrote:

It's true that she's important to prevent attacks outside Lyoko. Aelita can fight now, unlike Season 1. She's got wings, pink orbs, agility and other moves, which makes her stronger than Odd now.

Well, Odd has his strong points too.
Currently, you will not see me in Forums any longer. I will be on chat though. ^.~
Writing_Addict offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Sithking Zero » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:20 pm

Writing_Addict wrote:
MakeYourself85 wrote:
MewmiC wrote:

Well, Odd has his strong points too.

Yes, such as combat experience and relaxed attitude towards the whole "Battle" thing.

However, with limitless ammo for her attack, an excellent survivial instinct, and the wings, Aelita pulls into first.
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Taelia » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:15 am

Jeremie is so stubborn! All Jim and Chris wanted to do was TALK to the stubborn brat! :cussout: Every time there's a situation with Jim involved, it gets RTTPed every single time!
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby . » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:30 am

Ooooooooooooooooookkkkkaaayyyyy

so in this ep, William has his first battle where he is not an unstoppable powerhouse. I think Moonscope did a great job of still making William look tough and powerful, while being able to make Team Lyoko seem competent against him now. That being said, I hope in the next confrontation he's a little stronger then what he was shown here.

Wasn't much of a fan of Jeremie bassically "owning" aelita the way he did making her work with him like that. I was even less of a fan of Aelita not showing any sign of backbone whatsoever in going against his wishes. She just sort of went with it and got emo.

And of course, there is tons in this episode that has to be forgiven. Jim having a famous nephew, that I'll forgive because it suits Jim's character of having an interesting background. What I won't forgive is his nephew doing an audition for a DJ at the school with a bunch of kids and Delmas being willing to close the school down for it. Even more so, WTF? why is everyone suddenly a DJ so much so that they have their own mix tapes? Aelita and Odd are the only two who have excuses for mix tapes. (it's her hobby and BREAK BREAK BREAKDANCE!)

Last crime, was Aelita won it. But seeing as how with the exception of the battle to redeem Team Lyoko this episode is mostly filler. Which her opening act will exist on in this episode and never mentioned again for the rest of the seires run.

Voice acting, to me, really seems rather skeetchy. It seems some lines the actors don't put their all into it, and others (like Aelita's "Ladies" comment to the crabs) just sound amazing and unexpectant. I'll blame this more on the writers than the actors, because they have a tendency to rush the characters lines in the show in order to fit everything in.

I'm going to give this one a cool 6, because the fight scene was again very good and I'm still in love with the new animations going on.
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Taelia » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:41 am

David personally did a fine job. I'd hug him right now. :)
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby codeTONY » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:08 am

*just watched it*

Ulrich/Odd love! I'm screencapping now. <3
OMG Japanese desu yo ( ^.^)( -.-)( _ _)
I am the 334th user here on LF. bee tee dubs.
gay | UxO, UxW shipper | artist | writer |musician | trilingual | cosplayer | Otakon '07 attendee as Odd~ | ConnectiCon '09 attendee | Avatard | Odd's boy
My LJ!

♪♫♥
codeTONY offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

PreviousNext