Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

Cruel Dilemma

Talk about the episodes of the original series here! (Seasons 1-4)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

How would you rate this episode?

Dude!!!! Digital Void pwns!!! (10-7)
69%
Hmm...bulldozers are cool...
27%
I need earplugs...
4%

Total votes : 26

Cruel Dilemma

Postby Mewberries151 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:00 pm

Undeniably one of my very most favorite episodes in season 1, and definitely one of my most favorite overall.

My siggie quote comes from it. XD And it's still one of my favorite quotes too. :D
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TB3 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:18 pm

Only Odd can program a quatum-encoded vDNA/DNA conversion/extrapolation algorithm with candy!
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Taelia » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:19 pm

Yay for Odd!
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Lani » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:15 am

*nostalgic sigh* The first episode I ever saw... xDD;; It's so funny when Odd's like, "Ooh, what's this? Oh, just another one of Jeremie's materialization programs OOH CANDY!"

xDD ADD, anyone?
we will advance with sword in hand
for our cause is pure
Lani offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby oddsgrlfriend » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:36 pm

This is just another episode that proves Odd is the real einstien of the group! :D I mean he tutors Ulrich, creates a vertulization program for Aelita when Jeremie couldn't, better at Itallian than Jeremie...HOW does that not SCREAM smart?
Life is a Fre@k $how!
oddsgrlfriend offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Quin Separable » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:21 pm

Odd the unsung genuis. Kind of like the Ron thing on Kim Possible!

This is one of my favorite episodes. Poor Yumi....

(And hey, sorry that I disappeared right after I joined...so much homework!)
Quin Separable offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Mewberries151 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:50 pm

Kia wrote:Odd the unsung genuis. Kind of like the Ron thing on Kim Possible!

ROFL! Indeed! Odd has quite the "dumb skill". XD

Personally, I like this episode because it shows (as "Cold War" does for Ulrich), what Yumi is willing to do to save her best friend. Keeping in mind that an RTTP won't bring a person back to life, and remembering that this was a serious RL attack, Yumi was really taking a huge risk. Very exciting episode, indeed!

Plus...ear plugs...who doesn't sleep with those? :*D

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby odd girl » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:14 pm

its one of my favs to :)
odd girl offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Taelia » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:30 pm

Heh, he's better at JAPANESE than Jeremie.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Waves_blade » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:23 am

Mewberries151 wrote:Plus...ear plugs...who doesn't sleep with those? :*D

I dont....... This episode would make an emotional person cry. Yumi getin Digitized, and Aelita having to sacrifice a chance for virtulization to save yumi.
W_b
Waves_blade offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Lord Ryu » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:36 am

This episode was hilarious! Odd's a genius!
You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you are all the same...

Lord Ryu offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Mewberries151 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:26 pm

Waves_blade wrote:
Mewberries151 wrote:Plus...ear plugs...who doesn't sleep with those? :*D

I dont....... This episode would make an emotional person cry. Yumi getin Digitized, and Aelita having to sacrifice a chance for virtulization to save yumi.

XD I was just kidding. I only ever used earplugs when I went to an auto race (Those are really loud).

Indeed though, I like this episode because it's so touching. It really shows the sacrifices they're all willing to make for each other. :)

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Epic Toothpaste » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:45 am

Oh, I remember this now. With the carpet tacking line?
I used to know all the episode titles of season one by heart, sadly most of them have escaped me. I couldn't remember the names of Frontier and Routine for the longest time and it nearly killed me.
Epic Toothpaste offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Sun May 06, 2007 8:53 am

Yeah, it was pretty cool. :D But uh... Bulldozers? :umm:
Hey Rambo, throw me a shotgun!

Vodka's Vengeance offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:11 pm

Somewhere in the episode, there was an inconsistency, but I forgot it by now...

...Oh wait! I remembered it. After Yumi hopped onto the dozer that Ulrich was in, and she pulled him out, how is it that Ulrich was able to run into the crawlspace above the computer lab and then had to be carried by Yumi to the lab, near the ladder down to the scanner room? I don't understand that, unless somehow Ulich got KOed by the 5-foot fall to the crawlspace. Who knows?

It's a great episode. I especially like the part when Jeremy was yelling at Ulrich.
"XANA is attacking! Get up already!" (Jeremy)
"Huh?" (Ulrich, who pulls out earplugs)
"XANA IS ATTACKING! XANA IS ATTACKING! XANA IS ATTACKING!!!" (Jeremy)
"You slepp with those every night, Ulrich?" (Odd)
"Yeah, and some day I'll tell you why." (Ulrich)
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby ginolyoko12 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:00 pm

This episode was really cool. A little Yumi and Ulrich romance and a fairly good plot.
The candy thing was random. OOOH CANDY!

Odd for president anyone? :D
My real name is Johnathan Ulrich Gino Dela-Cruz
But call me Gino for short :D
I'm 17!
ginolyoko12 offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby HiddenWatcher » Fri May 16, 2008 5:10 pm

Aha! Aelita mentions kissing Jeremie! Clearly by this point she knows what kissing is, knows she'd like to kiss Jeremie, and knows he wouldn't mind being kissed by her!
HiddenWatcher offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TheAppleFreak » Mon May 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Honestly, there is something that just occured to me that Jeremy could have done to make things so much easier for himself. After he found the key to materialization, why didn't he just use Command-C to copy the code? (For the Windows users of the world, it's Control-C). honestly, this is his dumbest mistake. It's even worse than the time he created the Marabounta.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby HiddenWatcher » Tue May 27, 2008 11:20 am

It probably has something to do with the strange qualities of the supercomputer. It's quantum, after all, and arbitrary quantum states can't be copied. But honestly, once you get people getting turned into code and time going backwards, it's time to abandon mundane logic. Either way, there is almost certainly something preventing him from just copying it.
HiddenWatcher offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TheAppleFreak » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:14 pm

It's the fact that Antefilms at that time didn't want to have a show that ended 12 episodes into the first season, which makes sense.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby JesusFreak » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:30 pm

TheAppleFreak wrote:Honestly, there is something that just occured to me that Jeremy could have done to make things so much easier for himself. After he found the key to materialization, why didn't he just use Command-C to copy the code? (For the <s>most</s> Windows users of the world, it's Control-C). honestly, this is his dumbest mistake. It's even worse than the time he created the Marabounta.

<s>fix'd</s>

Eh, maybe the SC's OS doesn't have ctrl-c.

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby Carth » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:57 am

Yay! Cruel Dilemma! From what I can remember pre-episode, this is the point where the quality of storytelling gets kicked up a notch. I hope I'm still right, otherwise I will be a sad Carth.

I've decided that the theme song color is a lovely fuchsia, rather than a purple.

Hey it's a track. And bulldozers! Hi bulldozers!

Does this scene have any purpose at all besides setting up the XANA attack? We deffo see a gym in later episodes, I know that much...is that the gym they're talking about building here? Jean-Pierre sounds very...formal and insincere. I think he wants to get this over with and go back to Penguin Recapitator. And why are there only like ten students there? And why do they all look like this is the best thing since sliced bread?

"Wow, can he talk. Do we really have to listen to all this?" I think I love you this episode, Odd. Has anyone noticed his voice is a lot deeper in these first few episodes, even if it is Gézcy, I think? Later on it's a sort of (beautiful) screech.

Yeah, Jeremie, go on and keep saying that. You're not going to figure it out that easily, love. CANDY!

I think now I see why Aelita's so excited about the materialization program. Once she's out of Lyoko, she'll actually be a functional character that's allowed to have a personality. I really don't like pre-materialization Aelita as you can see.

You know, Jeremie, if you only grew a pair and went to Lyoko, you could handle the whole touching and kissing thing pretty quickly. :3 Someone mentioned wondering how Aelita would know about that...I wouldn't doubt that there are times offscreen where they just sort of hang and tell Aelita about stuff.

Jeremie running a test program to see if it works? What devilry is this? I guess with Aelita he has to be extra careful...I mean, if program go boop, Aelita go bye-bye.

Jeremie's stammery reply and exchange with Aelita =awwwwwwwww. And a bit unsettling how he pushes physical contact aside in favor of computer processes. Though I do like Aelita's moral support for him.

Odd's sort of disregard concerning Aelita's materialization leads me to think whether the group considers her on the same level as themselves at this point, and that somehow bringing her to their world will elevate her to that- OH WOW CANDY!

And the luckiest candy spill ever is brought forth.

"Such a cosmic creep" "this is really mega-insane". Jeremie, I think you should just stop trying. Nobody likes it when you're cool.

AND YAY IT WORKS SEASON 1 IS OVER GOOD SHOW CHAPS. And Odd's a creepy genius, lovely. Everything's going to be super dooper...

Ulrich, Yumi, and Odd some very good and obviously logical points concerning Aelita's identity. Though Jeremie's lack of foresight is actually kind of funny- he hasn't really considered what will happen beyond confessing his undying love to Aelita, has he?

Aelita seems to say "I can wait" a lot. I guess she can't do much or doesn't know how to do much...maybe a personality is something she actually needs to learn.

So it looks like now they have a plan. But they still haven't covered the whole tuition business...oh well, they don't really have to worry about it for another 20 eps anyway. Lolspoiler.

Einstein poster induces hypnosis. Lovely. Three cheers to Jeremie for telling Aelita stuff!

-3 cheers to the animators to cutting from the cute to Jim's snoring maw. And...not really making anything of it.

XANA ATTACK. Bulldozer XANA attack. Bulldozers go vrooooom.

I guess this whole two senses thing is a good thing to keep in mind, even if it is sort of broken a few times...but does this mean the Warriors don't feel any sort of pain when they're hit and stuff? (And I guess that rules out any er, outre fantasies any of you might've been having)

So she hears the pulsations, she doesn't feel them. Hm.

OH MY GOD THIS SCENE! "What did you say about carpet tacking?" And the fact that Ulrich wears earplugs is like...I don't know and don't want to know what sort of noises Odd makes in his sleep, but :3. (Isn't this also sort of unsafe when it comes to informing about XANA, as we've just seen? But I guess it's worse on other nights, so yeah...)

So XANA's going to destroy the world by destroying it! Truly, how subtle can you get. INVISIBLE DRIVER LOL.

Clearly Ulrich cannot drive. But look at it this way, they get a free ride to the factory!

At least someone keeps their phone on, ULRICH, ODD. Though I love how she hit her clock first. "Do you realize what time it is?" XANA has no sense of time, love.

Aww, bromance. I think I support Ulrich/Odd bromance.

YEAH skateboard. And WHOAAAA rope. Factory factory.

Wait, I just realized we can see the gang's phone numbers on that thing! *looks closely* Aww, flashing too bright.

And here's the point where I got wtfmate to XANA. Because if XANA destroys the factory, doesn't that also destroy...him? But then again, considering the computer itself is the deepest, he could just destroy the interface and scanners and still be free to wreak havoc.

Wait...aren't the bulldozers gonna fall off the edge there? I guess this is a good way to find out if there's another way down.

For some reason, Aelita seems just a little chummier with Odd...maybe because he's a more relaxed guy in general?

Oh, so they came around some back ramp. Oh ffs that's gotta hurt! I mean, like, bleeding all over kind of hurt...I hope he'll be okay...

Roachsters.

Again I doubt I know exactly how long they've been a team, considering they still think these buggers are a big threat.

Roachsters.

Actually kind of neat acrobatics on Odd's part here! And Aelita too.

I can see why that crash would knock Ulrich out, but the fact he's not bleeding at all raises a few eyebrows realistically speaking. TV-Y7-FV speaking, it's not surprising at all.

Go Yumi, saving the day! And your future husband!

So Odd gets ten arrows a go, does he? I forgot about him running out of arrows in Season 1! I think I might've been frustrated about that at one time.

Odd used three on one bugger? Not smart.

And Ulrich just recovered like that, did he? I'm sure he did. And then got knocked out again. I didn't know there was a way to get in by walking on the top thing. That's pretty awesome.

Aww, earplugs. In Odd's defense, it is a lot noisier in the factory than it is in his room.

Yumi go to Lyoko, so. Bulldozers tear the place apart, so.

Roachsters.

I love how their little legs just sort of wobble around. It's like :3.

FUTURE FLASH! I forgot there was one in this episode! I think there's one more later, which makes three...but I might be wrong. So Yumi's gonna fall in the sea and die. Lovely.

Ulrich! I want give Ulrich a hug and possibly knock him out again for being so cute and helpful.

Megatank! I wonder why Jeremie can't just have a visual view of Lyoko to begin with. Maybe it takes up too much memory.

So they know she's gonna die...but they send her there anyway? I guess they have no choice.

Yeah, Yumi! ...NO, YUMI! Wait, can't Jeremie just devirtualize her? Or can't she reach for her fan and shank herself? Whatever...and now sadness begins .___.

Someone forgot to dub in Jeremie's line. Oops.

If not for the fact that this fact was confirmed before this happened, I'd say this is how they knew that if someone died, they wouldn't be brought back by the RTTP. And I think, until Franz Hopper rolls along anyway, it's the only time it happens on the show. Even if Yumi isn't technically dead...in any case she's been disabled by the computer.

Why is there even a choice in the matter? Yumi's already established on Earth, and the program could always be rebuilt. It's not like it's a life or death thing. At least Aelita has some sense.

More bromance! Odd comforting Ulrich...I sort of wonder what would've happened if they hadn't had that program. My best guess is that Ulrich would be five kinds of insane.

This sewer scene is too cute. I don't think I've ever seen all of them this chummy before. Somehow, I think I see this episode as a sort of threshold crossing for the group- the first time they really recognize the others as having some sort of friend-like worth to them. And some good development and screentime for Aelita, too.

And in closing, candy can fix anything, even a broken heart. Yay for comfort food. Om nom.

PROS-
- Well thought out plot and subplot
- Cute, very cute
- Roachsters. And good Lyoko for the time in general
- Very subtle character development/group closeness all around
- Aelita expands her vocabulary

CONS-
- Still had to suspend disbelief on occasion
- Lack of realistic injury

So, overall, I think I liked this episode a lot! Not the best CL can do, but a leap forward, definitely. I enjoyed watching it again and discovering everything I hadn't seen (or imagined anyway) before.
Carth offline

Postby oddlauren » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:14 pm

Carth:
Neither do I. Aelita is more of a side character when she's stuck on lyoko. She checked for activated towers, told the group, deactivated the tower. Saves the day, just in time somehow. Well, she was stuck on lyoko for several years, she forgot what it's like to be human.

It was an okay episode.
oddlauren offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TB3 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:39 pm

Awesomeness Carth

In fact , if you're OK with me impinging on your territory, can I try my hand at this with the grand-daddy of all episodes, Teddygozilla? :)
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Carth » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:52 pm

TB3 wrote:Awesomeness Carth

In fact , if you're OK with me impinging on your territory, can I try my hand at this with the grand-daddy of all episodes, Teddygozilla? :)

The door's been wide open the whole time! That was kind of the point of it all. So basically yes, please!
Carth offline