Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:08 pm

Garage Kids

Talk about the episodes of the original series here! (Seasons 1-4)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Postby Blueyedblonde » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:36 pm

Oh wow, I expected so much better the first time I'd seen this. I watched it like a week into my Code Lyoko beginning fandom... And I thought it was like a lost 30 minute episode that would explain everything we didn't know. Silly me. ^^;

Anyway's, I really did like it, though. The UlrichYumi moment was sweet. Odd was a total Cutie. ^___^;;

"Odd, your dog is really weird."-Jeremie.
"Don't say that! He can be really mean!"-Odd
"Really?!"-Jeremie.
"...No."-Odd.
*Face meet Palm*-Ulrich.

...Heehe. :D
Blueyedblonde offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Taelia » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:41 pm

Ulrich had one line in the entire thing.

"I go."

THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!! :cussout:
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Blueyedblonde » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:51 pm

Taelia wrote:Ulrich had one line in the entire thing.

"I go."

Yea, Ulrich being my favorite char, I see that as injustice!! :pbthbb:

... But it being a four minute teaser... I really cant blame them.
Blueyedblonde offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Lani » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:13 pm

Hah! I love that Ulrich one-liner xDD It makes me laugh every time I hear it despite the seriousness of the scene... Makes me think of caveman. And I think I might be repeating myself...

<3 Garage Kids~
we will advance with sword in hand
for our cause is pure
Lani offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby SmackDown! » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:44 pm

"I go."

I know what you mean. But then again, Jeremie said "Oh my God! What's that again?" Now that has me baffled. :umm:
"If I can control your mind, then I can control your will.
If I can control your will, then I can control your desires.
If I can control your desires, I can control your destiny!" -Serj Tankian of System of a Down
SmackDown! offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby SnIp3r_WoLf » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:46 pm

That was Jeremie?? I thought it was Odd... :umm:

SnIp3r_WoLf offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Writing_Addict » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:07 am

SnIp3r_WoLf wrote:That was Jeremie?? I thought it was Odd... :umm:

I thought it was Jeremy also. That's the first time I've seen a 'kids show' with Oh my god...^^;
Currently, you will not see me in Forums any longer. I will be on chat though. ^.~
Writing_Addict offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Stargate » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:29 pm

I thought it was rather decent actually, could use a little work but overall it was pretty good. I'm still kind of stumped by the knowledge that Milly was Jeremie's original love interest. O_o
*Credit for avatar goes to CBIzumi.

I am Image

Join The 'Save AmDrag' Campaign!
Official Petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/svamdrag/petition.html
Stargate offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Evil Ulrich » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:16 pm

Weird title.
Used to be Tarantula, Krabe General, and RageFireHunter
Evil Ulrich offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby McTrooper » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:55 pm

SmackDown! wrote:

"I go."

I know what you mean. But then again, Jeremie said "Oh my God! What's that again?" Now that has me baffled. :umm:

The bad English translation is kind of fun in a campy sort of way.
I've actually used Ulrich's "I go." as a signature before.

I really, really want to have Garage Kid's on DVD.
I want to see the French version, the current English version.
I hope they also make a new English dub with the current voice actors of CL and a better script.
Image Image

Avatars / Signature Image made from TB3's original art.
McTrooper offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Sithking Zero » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:59 pm

Stargate wrote:I thought it was rather decent actually, could use a little work but overall it was pretty good. I'm still kind of stumped by the knowledge that Milly was Jeremie's original love interest. O_o

I actually wasn't that surprised. When I first saw Code: Lyoko, I thought Milly WAS Aelita, and thusly, thought it natural for Jeremie to like her. Then, I saw an episode from begining to end (I had only seen clips and bits prior to that) and I realized, "Milly and Aelita aren't the same... Whoops."

I guess JEremie has a thing for redheads.
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby MY85 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:16 am

I think that the CL haters call Code Lyoko as Garbage Kids sometimes.

And well... I have met SamBlob in real life this week. Although he said that he wouldn't watch Season 3, he did watched the prequel. As it kind of dissapoint him, we kind of agreed that the true Garage Kids was the five minute video and that the prequel should be called Garbage Kids. :P
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:36 am

I thought it said garbage lids once... and typed it.

Back at tvtome... 8Fawns*

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby Cassius335 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:22 pm

Sithking Zero wrote:
Stargate wrote:I thought it was rather decent actually, could use a little work but overall it was pretty good. I'm still kind of stumped by the knowledge that Milly was Jeremie's original love interest. O_o

I actually wasn't that surprised. When I first saw Code: Lyoko, I thought Milly WAS Aelita, and thusly, thought it natural for Jeremie to like her. Then, I saw an episode from begining to end (I had only seen clips and bits prior to that) and I realized, "Milly and Aelita aren't the same... Whoops."

I guess JEremie has a thing for redheads.

Except Aelita's hair isn't red, it's pink. Always annoyed me when people with orange hair got labelled as redheads (presumably for lack of a better idea), now you wanna throw pink in there too? :arg: :nyeh!:
ImageImage
---
"There are advantages in being honest about your own limitations: you gain the right to talk about the limitations of others." - Science of The Discworld 3
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Sithking Zero » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:35 pm

Again, that was when I had only seen a few shots from a few select episodes, plus I saw some shots of Taelia (not from here) and didn't know the diference, and... oh, what the heck, I was a N00b back then. It was a mistake, and now I know better.
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:50 pm

Cassius335 wrote:Now you wanna throw pink in there too? :arg: :nyeh!:

You got a thing about pinkheads? *Shows picture of self* i have pink hair...

When I first saw Code Lyoko, I thought... oh great, Some DragonBall charachter and his little gnome friend... *It was Odd and Aelita walking through the forest in Holiday in the fog.*

The next time I saw it was Cruel Dilemma, an I though Sissy was Ulrich's older sister who followed him into his closet where there was a ladder leading to under their house into this computer room.

I was so wrong...

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby Carth » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:11 pm

Homg, there's a Garage Kids thread! I thought this old goat was forgotten...anyway, I've never actually seen it, and it's only fitting I do a review. And move it to Episode Discussion, where it sorta belongs.

Since I don't think there's any restrictions on its distribution, here's a YouTube link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgiNbuFwORw

Antefilms go blinky!

And here we go, the first shot of a- it's raining. It's raining. IT'S RAINING. Miracle plz. Still looks like the city. But it's RAINING.

Whose room is this? Jeremie's? It looks a tad more comfortable than the regular Kadic rooms, anyway...he should get rid of that computer, though. It's practically LEAKING evil. I don't know if it's XANA, so I'll just call it evil.

Bus! That's a very basic school bus. Is <s>Kadic</s> this school not a boarding school? Cause I don't think Kadic has an American sort of school bus.

Wait a minute, why is this in English? Aren't they a French company? I've never seen anything but an English version, and even CL.fr links to the English...so they speak. Odd sounds like a girl. Yumi sounds mostly like Yumi. Jeremie sounds alright...but looks really weird. Like, misshapen. And he shares a room with Odd, apparently. Okay.

Ulrich (or Ulrick, as the liner notes tell us) doesn't talk. He only nods.

"Your dog...looks really dumb." Something in his voice suggests he's shaky with the language. Poor Kiwi.

"Don't say that, he's very sensitive!" Awww~ This whole scene is so cute! And an anime sweatdrop! Now Jeremie doesn't look misshapen anymore. He just looks adorable.

Ulrick shaking his head is also adorable. Somehow Garage Kids seems more...animated. But they did have less to animate. Or say.

There's a weird statue in the schoolyard. I'm not going to ask what it is.

OHO THIS SCENE! I love the sort of gritty feel it has, and also how they already know, even this far back, that those two are going to be together.

You know, Jeremie, just a hunch, but if you sit on that ledge, you might fall off. His glasses are shiny, it's funny.

There was a logo on his computer just before the evil flew out of it (awesomely) that was also on the earlier computer. Hm...plot that never become a plot!

Garage Kids seems to have a higher framerate...

And now, let's just fly away. Or let's just lift Jeremie back from the edge with our inexplicable powers. Now THIS would've been something to introduce to the show, even if a lot later, or with some connection to the supercomputer! I mean, how awesome would it be if they just had those powers in real life? I could imagine a myriad of uses for Yumi's telekenesis, or <s>Aelita</s> Lady Not Appearing In This Film's energy field, or especially <s>William</s> Sir Not Appearing In This Film's Super Smoke...

"Odd, can you keep a secret?" The line Jeremie stole! I love how Odd's all like "O________O"

FACTORY! This is sorta the same. Everything's all yellow. Can I just say this panaround of this factory is really stoking awesome? It's not quite as polished as the real factory but it's beautiful and intricate. And this music is amazing!

"I go!" And that's about it for Ulrick. And we don't even see his lips move onscreen, dammit.

Hey, they've got a couch down here! I've always wondered why, with all the time they spend down in the factory, they didn't try to make it a little more homey. A couch, maybe a mini-fridge...some chips...

Neato computer screens! That's a funny keyboard Jerbutt's got. It has the British monetary symbol...

The scanners are a lot smaller and...HOLY CRAP THAT'S EXACTLY THE SAME SCANNING IN IMAGE. And magically, we are in <s>Lyoko</s> Xanadu!

And now excuse me while I LOL at Ulrick's giant pants.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLTHOSEPANTSOHMYGOD
That was me, LOLing at Ulrick's giant pants. He also has a very pointy face.

Yumi sounds like a man when she explains Xanadu to Odd...

"One thing we do know is that there's something wrong with it." Stylistically, yes, otherwise it wouldn't have become Lyoko in the final product. But it's pretty- it's like all four sectors combined.

Hey, I never knew about this part! A giant smoke monster's gon kill im! I hope he can fight well, cause he seems to have a difficult time maneuvering in those giant pants of his.

Oh, okay, he has a Super Sprint-type thing. And that's several black smokey bits.

Wait...are the things that are happening in Xanadu affecting what happens in their world? Cause shakies in there cause shakies out there...

Apparently Ulrick's "saber" needs charging. That'd be a mess if that stayed. And it's always glowy. Like, like a lightsaber.

He killed it! And we didn't get to see it that well. I had no idea Garage Kids included all this, I was under the impression we got only a brief look at Xanadu.

Ulrich's got a Japanese symbol on his head...it's like a box with a line through it. Any ideas?

Those pipes he's running on are pretty neat. Hey, here's the shot from the last Caption Contest. I wonder what the towers do here. Do they need to be deactivated, or...?

"It's getting too dangerous!" But...he had no trouble before, yes?

"Me?" Yes, you, Della Robbia. Ooh, they have a rug, too! And pillows! And I just noticed, Odd came in with his hairdo. So they added that as a lulz later, then.

And now these scanning-in scenes! Not only do they look better-animated than the rest, they were also in the final!

Oh, well, that's nice. You show them going to Xanadu, but leave them as indistinguishable pinpricks atop a tower rapidly zooming away from us! Nice going. (In case you don't remember, Odd looked pretty much the same, while Yumi's kimono had pretty sleeves.)

Ah, now that image makes sense! Xanadu must be a world that centers around this...dais, thing, which appears to be supported by wires and carries four regular-sized towers (like the four sectors) and one really tall tower (like Sector 5!) And it's evil! Though I see why they traded this in for the Eye- it looks rather difficult to draw.

So it's not actually five minutes long, but three minutes and fifty seconds. Wow, most packed three minutes and fifty seconds of my life. And now let's dance to the lovely sounds of Jamiroquai's "Love Foolosophy" while noting what goes on in the foreground.

Lol, one of the animators is named Jeremie Perin. Motion capture actor? WHAT? That's high end bb.

Oho, these two images are in the Season 1 credits. The image of them pushing Yumi and Ulrick together was the first I ever saw of CL *tear to eye*

What? I've never seen this pillow fight picture before! That's so cute!! Why's Odd sleeping through it?

So apparently that wonderful song is called "PIRATES". And, hey, our voice actors get no credit? That's weird.

PROS
- Storking amazing music, like this and the factory music
- The in-world superpowers
- Very fluid animation
- PANTS
- Pillow fight picture
- Better English than I thought
- An excellent idea in its own right, if twisted after a while
- Well, it became Code Lyoko, for chrissakes!

CONS
- Animation quality and sound quality...improved eventually
- No Aelita! Apparently Milly was supposed to be Jeremie's love interest if I remember right. What.
- The in-world superpowers never got to the final product...
- And neither did the pants

All in all, cringe-worthy at some points due to the stark contrast, but, with some development, it could be beautiful. Well, it became something pretty neat, anyway. 8D
Carth offline

Postby TB3 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:43 pm

Nice analysis Carth

Regarding Jeremie Perin and the higher framerate, these tie together into the history of the show.

OK, so, two students at the Gobelins school of animation, Tania Palumbo and Thomas Romain, created a short film (less than a minute) featuring the entire Garage Kids cast, basically sitting down to watch a home-made movie. This lil' movie was made as a short demo for a prestigous animation expo in the south of France.

Tania and Thomas built an idea round these characters, called it Garage Kids, and managed to pitch it to a small studio named Antefilms. Antefilms decided to create a proof-of-concept piece to test the idea with Television companies, and so the short film we know and love was made.

Unlike CL, where the 2D animation was outsourced to China, animation for Garage Kids was done 'in-house' by Tania, Thomas and several classmates, including Jeremie Perin, a blonde, glasses-wearing student who has been confirmed as being the inspiration for Jeremie Belpois' design.

I managed to have a short online discussion with Mr Perrin and he said working under Antefilms was not a pleasant process, and that the key issues lay with the attitude of 'management' (I'm not going to cite names); evidently Thomas Romain felt the same way because he subsequently quit the project and went to work for another studio.

With Garage Kids out of the way, Antefilms began developing the concept. It is at this point that two of the most influential talents behind CL came into play; Sophie Decroisette and Jerome Mouscadet

Sophie was a writer who was hired to rework the synopsis and scripts that had been written by this point, as they were not working. Subsequently she became the script editor for the entire series, effectively the head writer.

Jerome needs no introduction, though his background before CL, or how he got the job is a mystery, even to myself. What I do know is that he'd not directed a series before, indeed I've seen nothing to suggest he'd directed before in any capacity. However, he got hired, possibly on the grounds of enthusiasm, spirit, and the ability to look cool while smoking a cigarette (I can testify on all three).

Between Jerome, Sophie, Tania, and a group of writers, these people formed the 'creative brains trust' who evolved GK into CL and became the nucleus of the new show. The tone was lightened, characters added, others removed, the key concept was tweaked, the virtual settings reworked, the school setting clarified as a boarding school, and towards the very end the title was changed, from the punk-ish 'Garage Kids', to the slightly epic and mysterious 'Code Lyoko'...as for where the title came from, I honestly suspect that after animating up the 'Code Lyoko' screen for Aelita's 'tower deactivation' shtick, they realised it looked like a 'signiture shot/phrase' for the show (since it was visually striking, memorable, and easy to remember since it appeared in every episode), and could make a good name.

The rest, is history.
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SearchingLyoko » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:58 pm

What about Pants Carth?

CL has Pants... (I know I'm missing something here... I need explination)

Anyways, that was a VERY interesting read TB. And from what you've told me the core has split apart...

And that's really sad actually. Anything that can create something that good is obviously something great....

However, if they "were" to remake CL I think they could get people to match the genius. As good as genius' are... luckily they are only unique to an extent.

I'd write more... however I have a bunch of stuff to zip through and only a half an hour in which to do it.

If anyone responds though, I will write more.
SearchingLyoko Delenda Est.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby Sithking Zero » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:39 pm

SearchingLyoko wrote:What about Pants Carth?

CL has Pants... (I know I'm missing something here... I need explination)

http://img.codelyoko.fr/galeries/garage_kids/Garage_Kids_Plan_02.jpg. That's Ulrich.

Yes, it is frightening.
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby oddlauren » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:19 pm

Ulrich's pants are so funny! seriously, how could he walk in those things. :*D

I like CL better, actual monsters, not just the xana ghost.

seriously Jeremie, sit on the edge? it was cool how he floated back up. and the look on Odd's face, really confused and scared.

What's up with it hardly raining at Kadiac? or any anime show for that matter. I've always thought that's weird.

I was disappointed when I didn't see Aelita. Well, she is my second favorite character. (see SN to know which is my fav.)
It was funny how Odd sounded like a girl.
oddlauren offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby SearchingLyoko » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:57 pm

Well you can't do much when it rains... it's just kind of dreary...

That would actually be something cool for XANA to do though... attack via rain...

Hm... methinks a trip to the episode suggestion thread is in order... but not tonight. I have too much stuff to do. Tommorrow though.

Yeah... I got the Pro's and Con's mixed up... I thought it was Pro's of Garage Kids and Con's of it...

I knew about the pants. Garage Kids is actually the first CL thing I watched ('Twas described as the pilot... which I guess it sorta was.)

I know... when I first discovered CL I saw the puffy samuri-semi-pants and went "er...."

Luckily I watched Teddygozilla later that day... and my fears were diverted.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby oddlauren » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:43 am

oh yea, that's true.

Yea, Teddy Godzilla was a great episode.
oddlauren offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby SearchingLyoko » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:51 pm

Jim+Teddy Bear= Laughter.

But... Garage kids was kind of rough... it was still good though.

Though the pants decision was instrumental in all of this.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby Carth » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:34 am

Bumping this if only because I remembered that as this is 2011, it is the 10th anniversary of Garage Kids' completion in 2001! I don't know exactly how important this is to everyone, but I dunno...it sort of makes me smile, this odd little pilot. So a happy 10th birthday to it!

I also don't have an exact date to give you for the anniversary. So I suppose we could just pick one and party then.
Carth offline

PreviousNext