Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

David Gasman a.k.a Jim, Herb, And William

Chat with the real-life actors who brought your favorite Code Lyoko characters to life!

Moderators: MG, kiwi, jerlita, mirabelle, Cher's Spare Parts, bambi, The Administrators, Moderators

Postby Cher's Spare Parts » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:45 am

Hey everybody!

Yeah, that would be cool to work up that drawing so that I could use it as my avatar here...

As far as my username, I just thought it sounded funny. You know, Cher calls herself the Poster Child for Plastic Surgery, so the idea that there's been so much of her removed that you could make a person out of it struck me as funny. But I certainly didn't intend it to be offensive in any way to any one. Not even Cher!

Some part of me can relate to all of the characters I play. That's how we try to keep it real. Even if, like Jim, the character is often there for comic relief, he still has to be believable as a character. His overall tone has to be comic, which is kind of hard to explain. If you listen to the voice of Lucas Kane in Indigo Prophecy, for example, the tone is not comic at all. It's serieous. He will say some clever things, but his overall tone is dramatic. Whereas with Jim, you can tell that he's a comic character. Even if he gets mad, we don't take him too seriously. If he had a serious tone and was always yelling at everyone, we would get tired of him pretty quickly. Plus, the show needs characters like Jim to round it out. If everybody was as serious in tone as Ulrich and Yumi, for example, there might be a risk of the show sounding a bit like a soap opera. Ulrich and Yumi are heroes, so they need to be believable and have a more serious tone. Their humor tends to be more wry and sarcastic and witty. This way we we relate to them and also root for them. We basically like like Jim, even though he's an authority figure, because he's always screwing up and behaving in a more or less ridiculous way.

As long as I'm blathering on, I'll add that I think that one of the reasons that CL is so successful is this mix of different types of characters. In contrast to Jim, we have the Principal, a very solid, paternal character who is an authority figure for everyone, including Jim. You have dramatic heroes like Ulrcih and Yumi, and then you get characters like Odd and Jeremy, (and yes, Sissy), who are more heightened and energetic in a way that can be fun and exciting because they are just a little bit larger than life, but still believable. We like to love and/or hate them, and that is what they are there for...

Lecture much? Okay, shutting up now.

As far as Ms. Hertz, I think you might have something there... ;)

We record the series in a studio on the Isle Saint Louis, an island right in the middle of the river Seine in beautiful Paris.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled life, which is already in progress...
Cher's Spare Parts offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby Taelia » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:53 am

You record right near the spot where the Factory is, Dave! =D Awesomw!

I just completed Chapter 5 of my story, thanks in part to your suggestions.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Yumi52Ishiyama » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:39 pm

Hello, and this is my belated welcome to you, Mr. Gasman! I just wanted to sy that I love Jim.(William not so much...) Herb is hilarious, also.

I also love your username. (Even if it does make fun of one of my distant relatives :P )
Image Click the puppy to go to my CL forum!
Yumi52Ishiyama offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby Mewberries151 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:05 am

Cher's Spare Parts wrote:As far as Ms. Hertz, I think you might have something there... ;)

XD Too funny! :D Thanks very much for answering my question! ^_^
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MY85 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:11 am

David, I wonder if you or any of the CL Voice Cast has visited the old Renault factory (or any other places in France that make reference to some places at CL) that is supposed to rumored as a reference to the factory where the supercomputer is hidden...
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby Taelia » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:13 am

Likewise. =D
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Cher's Spare Parts » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:35 am

You know, I lived on the Isle Saint Louis (pronounced: Eeell San Loo-wee) when I first moved to Paris.

In fact Mathew and I are are there now at a cafe with our portables! It's not far from what could have been a factory, I guess.

Hey, what's that weird smoke...it sort of looks like an evil fog. Hey, it's going into Matt!

Wait, Matt, what's wrong with you? Your eyes are all...NO! DON'T...!

AAAAARRRRGGhhh...
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby Taelia » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:03 pm

How exactly do you record during a session, Dave?
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Mewberries151 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:51 pm

Cher's Spare Parts wrote:In fact Mathew and I are are there now at a cafe with our portables! It's not far from what could have been a factory, I guess.

Hey, what's that weird smoke...it sort of looks like an evil fog. Hey, it's going into Matt!

AAAAARRRRGGhhh...

*laughs* Omigosh! That was genius! Everybody needs to hurry and guard Ms. Mann now. Being both Jeremie and Aelita's VA would make her a prime target. XD

Just out of curiousity...have you done any other sort of work other than those connected with the Performing Arts? I'll, of course, understand if you don't want to talk about it. :*D (Or if someone else has already asked this question. ^^; )
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Taelia » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:01 pm

Hey, David, can you do me a favor and tell Sharon to get over here? ;)
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby YDV » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:20 pm

Why? So she can be glomped on by all the Jeremie and/or Aelita fans? (and possibly asked out by Vili.. XD)

It WOULD be nice if she did come around here, though. (And then we'd have the whole cast!! I think.)
BEHHHH
YDV offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Star Way » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:45 pm

Taelia wrote:Hey, David, can you do me a favor and tell Sharon to get over here? ;)

Matt already informed me that she's not coming. Sorry!
Don't bother sending me messages or anything, I'm not in charge of the site anymore.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby Taelia » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:06 pm

Aw, dang.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Cassius335 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:08 am

Cher's Spare Parts wrote:You know, I lived on the Isle Saint Louis (pronounced: Eeell San Loo-wee) when I first moved to Paris.

In fact Mathew and I are are there now at a cafe with our portables! It's not far from what could have been a factory, I guess.

AAAAARRRRGGhhh...

*chuckle* Hey, XANA? Which name do you prefer: "Roachsters" or Krankie...er Kranke... um, the other one.
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Cher's Spare Parts » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:33 am

Usually cartoon recording here is done in one of three ways:

1) The cartoon is recorded off of the page, with the actual actors interpretations being used to influence the drawings themselves. Disney often does this with thier cartoons.

2) The cartoon is recorded off of the page, but not by the actual actors. One or two actors record all of the parts, and this is used as a "guide track" for the images. When the images are complete, the actors go to a studio and record to the image. In France, the text appears on a white strip or "band" that runs across the bottom of the screen. In America, they don't use a band. They record line by line to the sound of three beeps. Also, typically US cartoon voice actors are alone in the studio doing all of their parts. In France, it's much more convivial, with everybody there at once.

3)The cartoon is already recorded in another language, (in our case French, obviously) and the English language voices are dubbed on, more or less in the fashion described above.

In the case of Code Lyoko, it's option 2 above. English is actually the original version and the French is dubbed on.

Hope that was helpful...
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby Taelia » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:54 am

Well, THAT was informative. =D Thanks Dave!
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Star Way » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:57 pm

Wow, that's really cool! I didn't know that you guys record before the French VAs do either...

But the scripts are originally written in French and then translated to other languages, such as English, right?
Don't bother sending me messages or anything, I'm not in charge of the site anymore.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby MY85 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:01 pm

Cher's Spare Parts wrote:In the case of Code Lyoko, it's option 2 above. English is actually the original version and the French is dubbed on.

That's weird. In the spanish version we can get some bit of slightly cussing, depending on translating back to english. I had an example for one of Season 2 episodes. I'll bring it in a moment, Mr. Gasman. It was something Jim said about Kiwi. That happened on Exploration episode. Read the thing I've posted on page 2. You might find it quite interesting.
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby Taelia » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:32 pm

Let's hope it gets to the Japanese version soon.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby xxJeanGreyxx » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:44 pm

Hi Dave. ^_^ First time posting on this thread. Just wanted to say you've done a great job on Jim, Herb, William. Great Job!

Two questions:

Do you like living in Paris?

(I've always wanted to live in Paris. Not just because the VA's live there, but because of its artistic culture. I love how paris is, The Eiffel Tower is the most reason why I would love to live there. To be able to see it everyday... I just love everything about Paris.)

Would you wish to voice any of the other characters on the show?
<3 x <3 x <3 J <3 e <3 a <3 n <3 G <3 r <3 e <3 y <3 x <3 x <3
*~*~*~
xxJeanGreyxx offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Chad Rains » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:51 pm

TB3 wrote:
Cher's Spare Parts wrote:English is actually the original version and the French is dubbed on.

I never expected that - I always thought the French dub had priority. Weird.

I have to agree. I had always thought it was recorded in French first and then dubbed to other languages.

Is it possibly that CL has more popularity here in the states than over in France?

But then again, this show does have some unusual points to it. For example, the VA's are members on a fansite ;) (seriously, what other anime actually has VA's or just staff in general part of arbitrary fansites? Ive never seen many)
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby YDV » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:28 pm

We're special. ;)

CL is recorded in English before French? How is that... possible...? I mean, don't the guys over at AnteScoop/MoonFilms do everything in, well... French? And then they'd have to like translate their ideas and/or scripts into English? Or is everything done in English, and then into French? @.@

Jean.. I've always wanted to go to Paris too. It's gotta be wonderful there... or at least different. (and plus France is the birthplace of some of my favorite bands ever... Daft Punk.. Kinito.. Kyo... *_* )
BEHHHH
YDV offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

PreviousNext