Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am

Marriage, parents, and taxes.

Life sucks. Tell us about your problems and maybe we can help. =)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Marriage, parents, and taxes.

Postby DeadViolet » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:25 pm

Hello, all my LyokoFreakers.

I have been with my boyfriend for a little over a year now, and back in the summer he proposed, even though it was an out of the ordinary one. (He just asks me, no ring, no knee, nothing).
He's living with his grandmother and going to my college's "adult high school" to get his GED. I'm almost done with my Associates, and will be starting on my Bacherlors in the fall.

A few weeks ago, he told Grandma he was planning on marrying me.
The original plan was to get married within the next five years, but since Grandma has agreed to help with the wedding, it is now two years or less.

Alas, a few things.
1) My parents do not, and CANNOT know about this. They hate him.
2) Neither of us have stable jobs yet. I'll be getting a summer job soon after I get my AA, but I'll probably have to quit once I start back to school. Memphis will get a job once he's in college to help pay his part of the rent, and I'll be working.
3) We'll probably be living with our respective family if the wedding is before I graduate with my BA. After I get my actual job, I'll move out of my parents home.
4) Don't most apartments need co-signers? My mother is adamant she would not be my co-signer if Memphis was living with me. I doubt Grandma has enough money to be our co-signer. I don't trust either of his parents to do so. But, Memphis has something known as 'blank credit', which he says with that we don't need a co-signer.

This all brings me to taxes.
Since I will possibly still be a student around the time of the marriage, can my parents still claim me as a dependent because I am living with them and still going to school? Like I said, they don't know we're getting married. I'm planning to tell them once I move out. Over the phone.
I may have to file a tax return because of my summer job, but I'll only be working that for three months or so, then quitting.
Doesn't it take the IRS years to nab someone for tax fraud? I'll only be living with them for a year or two (at the max, three) years more.

I love Memphis, and I want to be with him. His family poses no objections to him marrying me whatsoever. He's 18, I'm almost 21, but he's extremely mature. Grandma's sort of taken me in as her own. We both want to have a good life.

Can anyone help me out with some of this? Advice-wise?

*I'm that one crazy girl formerly known as Misha*
DeadViolet offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Re: Marriage, parents, and taxes.

Postby LadyLucy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:13 am

It's hard to say, but I don't think all apartment's need a co-sign. I think that's more of a fall back idea than a rule, although i could be wrong. It might vary from state to state.
For jobs....I know plently of people- me included, although I take classes only part time- who are in college and work. It could be possible that you could find a place in your college area that would work with you around your class ours or something.
I can understand about the whole parents thing. You're lucky you have a family member that supports you like your Grandma does though, and that she's going to help you out with the wedding, that's awesome. Weddings are wonderful, but they can be hard work. Love's worth it though. ^^ Love is always worth it.
Good luck <3
viewtopic.php?t=2354- my Art Thread...please visit!!
Behold, the rejoyic-ify worthy sig by Jeremified!!!

Thankszers to Vora for this coolzers sig!!!

Someone told me today that I was crazy....I fell off my unicorn in shock!
LadyLucy offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby DeadViolet » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:40 am

She's not my Grandma, she's his Grandma, but she loves me because my fiance does....
No one in my family supports me even seeing him. XD

DeadViolet offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheLQ » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:01 am

Have you considered waiting until both of you have a stable living situation? I feel like having to worry about a large event like marriage plus parental problems plus living problems seems like... alot.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby DeadViolet » Tue May 28, 2013 12:09 pm

Hey guys, I'm back.
Everything's been insane!

Ever since late April, my parents had been giving me sh!t about Memphis, saying he wants to control me. Him and my parents had gotten into a ton of fights, and it all blew up when he came to my graduation and "threatened" my father (or so my father says).
I tried to leave the house after they threatened to put a restraining order on him, and they tried to get me to sign one.

My father used physical force to pull me back into the house.

Finally, I couldn't take the loneliness anymore. I left last Friday, and I'm living with Memphis and Grandma right now.
M's working on his GED and applying for jobs.
I have a little over $2,000 with me right now, I need to use it sparingly until I can get a job.

Because of our sitch, we may need Medicaid or foodstamps if neither of us can find a job.

I no longer have a car, computer, phone, or iPod.
I don't care.
I'm typing this up on M's computer.

Guys, we're getting our marriage license today. We can get married on Friday...

DeadViolet offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheLQ » Fri May 31, 2013 9:17 am

DeadViolet wrote:Hey guys, I'm back.

Ever since late April, my parents had been giving me sh!t about Memphis, saying he wants to control me. Him and my parents had gotten into a ton of fights, and it all blew up when he came to my graduation and "threatened" my father (or so my father says).
I tried to leave the house after they threatened to put a restraining order on him, and they tried to get me to sign one.

Finally, I couldn't take the loneliness anymore. I left last Friday, and I'm living with Memphis and Grandma right now.
I have a little over $2,000 with me right now, I need to use it sparingly until I can get a job.

Because of our sitch, we may need Medicaid or foodstamps if neither of us can find a job.

I don't care.

Jesus, well I hope everything works out. Your families actions are ridiculous
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Fri May 31, 2013 10:33 am

DeadViolet wrote:Hey guys, I'm back.

I don't care.

Damn, I hope everything works out okay for you. Congrats on finally leaving, though, and congrats on getting the marriage license! I hope the marriage goes off without a hitch.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby DeadViolet » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:42 pm

I got married last Friday, DeadViolet is now Haley Rines xD
Missus Memphis Rines.

His mother said she'd help us get on foodstamps, and I've applied to both Home Depot and Target recently.

We're putting the rest of my money into a bank account today, hopefully.

If I can get it, I'll post the wedding picture....Twas very simple. His great-aunt married us. Me, off-white dress from Old Navy and no shoes, my hubby in a nice suit.

I'm still on my parents insurance for a bit, but after this month(?) I'm off.

I lied to them and said I was calling off the wedding when they found out....

DeadViolet offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheAppleFreak » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:00 pm

Congratulations, Haley! I do hope the two of you live a great life together, and I do hope that everything works out for the two of you!

I do wonder what will happen when your parents find out that the marriage went on behind their backs... I wouldn't want to be caught in that crossfire, given how you've described their loving care and support for your wishes.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline