Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:29 pm

Calculus

Life sucks. Tell us about your problems and maybe we can help. =)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Calculus

Postby TechnoSam » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:12 pm

Ugh. I hate Calculus. I'm only 15. Should I be taking it? I'm gonna be an engineer, but it sure seems like a lot of work.
TechnoSam offline
New Kid
New Kid

Re: Calculus

Postby TheLQ » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:47 pm

TechnoSam wrote:Ugh. I hate Calculus. I'm only 15. Should I be taking it? I'm gonna be an engineer, but it sure seems like a lot of work.

As a Freshman in High School?!

Engineering is a subject that I don't know much about, but I would think that you would use lots of math. Building and material load equations are complex beasts
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TechnoSam » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Yeah, my dad's an engineer, so he knows all about that. BTW, I'm homeschooled, if you're wondering how I'm in calculus.
But still, there's just so much to it, and it gets confusing.
TechnoSam offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby TheAppleFreak » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:53 pm

TechnoSam wrote:Yeah, my dad's an engineer, so he knows all about that. BTW, I'm homeschooled, if you're wondering how I'm in calculus.
But still, there's just so much to it, and it gets confusing.

...Damn. I'm 16, and I'm only taking Intro to Calc (which is a senior level course at my school, btw).
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby TechnoSam » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:10 pm

Well, well...
TechnoSam offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby desincarnation » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:13 pm

If you are very good at all the basics, then yes, you can try learning Calculus. I'm speaking from experience of one year at a polytechnic where I had to deal with it. For me, with rather basic knowledge(as I did not take advanced Math course in high school) it was hard to get. I had many difficulties, but in the end I could solve some integrals. Just... it was a lot easier for my colleagues who had stronger basics than me.
As it later turned out, I wasn't destined to be an engineer anyway. :D But if you think of it seriously, then you must be quite confident with the basics, especially functions and their properties.
desincarnation offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby Arcangel613 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:32 pm

as a college freshman who is studying for a degree in mechanical engineering my advice is this: yes, take calc, take as many advanced math classes as you can, yeah its a lot of work but trust me, once you get calculus down the rest is a cake walk. if your having trouble i would sugguest taking a trigonometry course and perhaps a probability and statistics course. I took both while i took calc and it helped me with a lot of the small stuff.

I know your homeschooled now and I'll tell you what my proffessor told be. engineering is math, if you don't like math, you should be doing engineering. If you attend college your advanced math classes will be numerous and difficult, (some of the juniors have at least six hours a day in the same class).

trust me when i say its not fun having to retake courses because you can't get the basics down.
Formerly Raven_613

Tekirai wrote:69% of the population thinks sexual innuendo is funny

I saw you smiling.

Arcangel613 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Location: New Azarath...what, you don't read the comics? the old azarath was destroyed ages ago. Darn Trigon.

Postby TechnoSam » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Yeah, I've got the basics, and I took Trig and Geometry as part of Algebra. It's just the way my program works.
One of my bigger problems is my friends. They all think I'm gonna be the next Einstein or something, and they think I'm gonna be a millionaire. It's not that I worry about what others think, it's just that I know people have high expectations of me, and I don't want to let them down. Plus I do like understanding all this math, but it's a lot of work to understand it.
TechnoSam offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby mcj108 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:24 am

I'm 15 and I'm taking Algebra 2......
But next year I'm taking college trigonometry
mcj108 offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Jazzy Josh » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:23 pm

College Trig? Just another name for Pre-Calculus.

Just wait until you're in College and you learn about Logic and Proofs. Then you get to prove fun things like "The total number of people with an odd number of siblings is even." and "If S is an arbitrary selection of n + 1 numbers from {1, 2, 3, ... , 2n-1, 2n}, then at least 2 of the numbers in S are coprime (their greatest common factor is 1)"

My Discrete Structures professor is awesome but his tests are hard as heck. I'm glad I got a 71 on it. Although I did feel dumb when after the test I asked someone for the answer and it dawned on me. That could have been another 7 points.

@Jazzy Josh on Twitter.
Jazzy Josh offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby TechnoSam » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:30 pm

I have done some stuff with logic and proofs, and I HATE proofs, although I can do them. they're tedious.
But I don't have much on an idea what you're talking about with the rest, and I can't say I'm looking forward to it.
TechnoSam offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby mcj108 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:29 am

I hated proofs in Geometry :(
Nnnnoooooo, their comming back >.<

My school is on a college campus, and I can only take Algebra 2 before they shove us into a college math class(which is mostly because of a shortage of high school teachers)
I'm kind of looking forward to it and kind of scared.....
mcj108 offline
New Kid
New Kid