Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:00 pm

How dumb do you think this situation is (MAJOR tl;dr)

Life sucks. Tell us about your problems and maybe we can help. =)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

A happy poll for an otherwise not-happy ranty thread!

clouds!
22%
rainbows!
No votes
blood and organs!! wait uh
56%
everyone will vote this one, or the one above
22%

Total votes : 9

How dumb do you think this situation is (MAJOR tl;dr)

Postby Tekirai » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:12 pm

I think it's very

So there's a bit (ahahaha I'm hilarious) of backstory to this. In primary/elementary school, I always pretty much had the same group of 3 friends. A fourth one was added when I started secondary school (what's after elementary - kind of like middle school and high school combined) and I gave her the nickname Momo, 'cause her middle name is Peach. That and I think it's cute BUT THAT IS IRRELEVANT

The girl's fantastic at drawing. Like, I was never that sure what made me like her, but her art was definitely one of them. I loved it, and she always drew a lot of comics, and I would always tell her they're cool and how she drew certain things that I like to see in comics (which is usually something subtle or insignificant, like puffs of breath when it's cold or the person is tired). Momo was always pretty shy for the first three years of secondary - apparently she had been bullied a lot in primary school. By fourth year she had developed a lot of personality, which... turned out to be "I don't care about anything and I do what I want". Put nicer, a free spirit. She lives in a huge family with about 6-7 siblings, three of which go secondary school in the same school as us, one of them just starting this year.

Also by fourth year, it was just me, Momo and another friend. The three of us got along pretty well, and there was an issue about Momo hurting a girl for bullying one of her sisters, which turned a lot of people against her, since she was the cousin of a girl in our year. I took a lot of grief for standing up for her in front of said girl (well, more for her sister, since she's quiet and a lot like me and I was pretty pissed about what happened) and I don't think she ever realised it. I didn't approve of what she did, but our classmates didn't care. My other friend didn't do much, since she's the kind of person who avoids trouble if she can. In the years since then, when I've been waiting with people I used to talk to quite a lot in primary school but don't anymore, they've always told me they were very wary about Momo since then. She was this quiet girl who lashed out at someone, and this freaked out a lot of people. I understood them completely, and didn't get mad at the girl who said she felt like this. I actually told her that I commended her for even saying this to a friend of hers, because backtalking is done too much nowadays and this was a lot better, y'know? Might be weird to a lot of people, but it's how I've felt about it for a long time.

Jump forward about two years to the results day for our exams a week or two ago. Momo didn't show up at school until about half an hour after my friend did, and I arrived about twenty minutes before her. We tried talking to her a lot, but she shut us out and just seemed focused on her results. We just figured she wasn't focused on anyone else, since her parents were with her too, and didn't think anything of it. Go forward a week to this Wednesday, our first day back at school. We were put in the same class again, but she ignored us... again. We were thinking that something was up, since Momo sometimes had bad days like this and she would eventually tell us she wasn't feeling too great, and it had been a week and she was still the same. We thought that maybe her exam results weren't too great, but she got an A in Art and she got back into the school, so...

My friend made many more attempts at talking to her than I did, since I caught on fairly early and knew when it was kinda pointless to try. When going to different places, and even going out for lunch which you can't do until our year, she went off with some other people. Most of them are pretty decent, save for one, who I used to be friends with until I got sick of her constant lying to make herself more likeable. Other people seem to have realised this, too, as she's kind of isolated, I noticed lately. I thought this was interesting. My friend thought that maybe Momo was ignoring us because we went camping during the summer and had invited her to come with us, but we called her on the day when I had arrived and she acted as if she'd never even known about it. So she kept apologising to her, despite not really knowing what we did wrong, which I kind of told her off for. But it's how the girl is. She's not that good with words either, so it sounded a little pathetic and didn't work as a result. It was like this the next day, as well. Even her sisters, who we got along with (especially the one I mentioned that got bullied and I liked a lot) incredibly well, were ignoring us when we said hello to them in the corridors.

Today we went to this outdoor activity centre, for teambuilding exercises and stuff. On the way there, my friend just said to her "can we not just make up and be friends again" to which Momo smiled, put on her headphones/anti-social headguard and said "no" before walking faaaar ahead of us. That got me pissed and my friend really upset. Another thing about Momo is that she's quite... manipulative of people's feelings. Best example of this was when this guy had a blatant crush on her and she just ended up screwing with him, and now he hates her. This was something I was always wary of, but I'm a very accepting person and didn't feel weird about being her friend over it. Momo was still Momo, but apparently not anymore. To us, anyway. We were put in the same group for the activities, and I did still say things to her just out of habit and she talked back, but it was pretty small talk. There was a lot of touchy-feely during some of the exercises as well (which were actually incredibly fun and funny, as iffy as I make it sound) and we were all able to laugh over it, and I thought maybe Momo'd warmed up a bit.

Then I got home and a few hours later, my friend was calling me saying that something horrible was going on. She said Momo left a message on some RPG site they use... and it was basically saying how much she always hated us. I was like, ok. My friend was saying something about how she even considered suicide because of how depressed she was and I was STILL "like, ok" because I'm very chill about receiving 'news' like this by this stage. I asked my friend to send me the message, since I didn't want her to read it out (she was really upset) and it was a matter of preference, as well. My first opinion was that this is actually a very dumb message, but... yeah. (lol I had to censor this for the open forum)

Thanks for apoligising but i dont think u really mean wat ur saying. You to act just like the 'friends' i had in primary school. You dont care for me tessa just likes to make me feel small and stupid because it makes her feel big and u follow her.
Dont apoligise for tessa if she cant say sorry herself then she doesnt care i dont give a **** at all about her ive had enough of her. Tessa's a ***** for not being able to but her oversized ego aside to say sorry.
I dont think everything will be fixed either just like that. This has been goin on for at least 2 or more years now and u 2 completely knocked my confidence. I was also suffered from depression for a while because of stuff at home and the because tests u 2 didnt help at all..
I dont think that we can be friends anymore sorry but i will talk to u but thats it.
I put up with u 2 for long enough im not gonna let u drag me down anymore u arent worth it. I can do better.

So, uh... there's a lot of stuff in this, and a lot of that stuff that doesn't even make sense. Tessa is me, if anyone is confused.

I'm an intelligent person and my grades show it, so Momo probably thinks this gives me a huge ego. She once told me her parents thought pretty much the same thing, which I now wonder about. I think she should actually be happy that she isn't smart like I am, because at least people would talk to her. Nobody ever talks to me. I don't think she realises how often I look down on myself (not so much anymore - "I got better") in certain aspects, and she should know I do everything in my power to make people feel good about themselves, because Momo is a cool person and she often acted really mopey about stuff. There may have been times were I was sarcastic, but I don't remember ever saying something to her to make her feel crap. I would never want to do that. If I did, then I didn't know, and Momo never told me. She's expecting me to say sorry and I don't even know what I need to be apologising for, and even accepted my friend's apology despite knowing anything either. I've had stuff happen at home - it might even be worse than what she has, or not (I don't want to think of this as a "who's had worse off" contest) - and I was acting mopey about it, but I made an effort to still talk to my friends while Momo never really does without some prodding. She talks as if we know what's up with her when we don't know anything. Momo never talks about her problems, just says she has them. That, I don't have a problem with. This, I do, because it's as if she expects us to magically know everything about her problems. It irritates me.

And you might notice there's nothing about suicide in that message - I don't actually know where my friend got that from. She might have panicked, or not told me everything. Either way, we had told our mums about it the moment we got the message and read it, and they talked for a while, and I think they said they were going to let the school know about it. Even if she isn't attempting/considering it, there's definitely something wrong, and our school is very good about doing something this, be it just keeping an eye on her or whatever. I know because of something that happened to my brother a long time ago.

Momo might not even mean half of this, which was my first thought, but the idea that she would think we try to treat her badly or whatever on purpose still kind of makes me sad. The three of us are close because we aren't that popular, and we did everything to involve all of us in whatever we did. One of the girls Momo hung out with during her ignoring period who we also know really well said that "she feels left out" around us, which... baffles me. I can only think of her being left out when she arrives late to everything, lives so far away from us, is essentially in her own world when her siblings are around/she's at home and when she doesn't even know her own house phone number. I mean, that isn't even completely my fault or my friend's, is it? I don't want to sound ignorant, but it sounds more like a problem on her part than ours. She doesn't seem to realise the efforts we've made to keep her involved with things. Or the fact that she talks the least when it's just the three of us around.

I'm not that bothered by this anymore, but I wanted to kind of get my thoughts together and see what other people think. You get a million internets for even reading all of this, but it was all a little necessary to understand what kind of person Momo actually is. I'm selective of my friends, but something about her just clicked with me. Hearing her say that she didn't even like us for those years without saying anything about it, regardless of whether or not she meant it, was a little unnerving, to say the least.
Tekirai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby . » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:59 pm

Ahhh the joys of highschool drama....

Yes it is beyond dumb. And one day when you escape that world and look back on it, it'll look even more silly.

As far as real advice goes, screw her. You've done everything reasonably to mend anything that happened with this Momo (Please tell me thats not her real name) girl. It's sucks but shes burning the bridge not you.
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheLQ » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:41 pm

Friends come and friends go. Who you hung out with in Elementary/Middle school can change, revile things, or move away.

Why are you getting hung up on this? So she was an a**hole, so what? Just move on. Ignore her, there are tons of other people at a high school.

---

Related: You made a horrible mistake referring Momo's PM to the school. Nowhere was mentioned suicide, and depression was mentioned in past tense. So if you wanted revenge, you just did, referring her to a mental institution for "evaluation", and probably costing her parents large amounts of money. Thats such a low blow its not even funny. Don't EVER pass along such PM's unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure they are thinking such things right this very moment (and even that is debatable).
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Tekirai » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:04 pm

It probably seems retarded but I'm using the name Momo just because I'm iffy about using the actual girl's name. Doesn't really matter either way.

And it also looks like people are just skimming this and not really caring - probably should've expected it. It's dumb, after all.

TheLQ wrote:Why are you getting hung up on this?

helloooo
Tekirai wrote:I'm not that bothered by this anymore, but I wanted to kind of get my thoughts together and see what other people think

And considering I've only had two friends throughout the latter half of high school, I seriously doubt I'll "move onto other people". This is why it probably seems like TYPICAL DRAMA LOLOL to everyone else and yet pretty significant to me. |[

You made a horrible mistake referring Momo's PM to the school. Nowhere was mentioned suicide, and depression was mentioned in past tense. So if you wanted revenge, you just did, referring her to a mental institution for "evaluation", and probably costing her parents large amounts of money. Thats such a low blow its not even funny. Don't EVER pass along such PM's unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure they are thinking such things right this very moment (and even that is debatable).

Uh... what?

You've lost me completely.

When did I ever say I told the school about this just to get my revenge or get back at this girl? What post have you been reading? Not once did I say anything about getting revenge or bitter feelings or ANYTHING of the sort. The school wouldn't send her off to an institution or anything like that - they'll just keep an eye on her. I said already that they're good with dealing with this kind of thing, without being ridiculous about it. Even then, we haven't told the school about it yet. We plan to, but now you've gotten me confused and you're making me think we're going to just make the girl's life hell.

As for the suicidal thing, she actually sent two identical messages and I pasted the one that had that particular line missing. 'I considered sucide because i was stressed and sad.' was what she said, hence... what I said in the paragraph above this. I still don't know what to think of it, but if she's depressed, we want to help her. She's not letting us do it, and I'd feel like a bit of a prick just leaving her be. :/

..and I'd think I'd have enough sense to think that maybe the PM was just a long and meaningless rant more than once. My friend and I are being careful, in case there really is something up. We're concerned, not trying to get her thrown into somewhere. I know our school won't do anything that extreme.
Tekirai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheLQ » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Tekirai wrote:And it also looks like people are just skimming this and not really caring - probably should've expected it. It's dumb, after all.

I actually read the whole thing and tried to come up with a good answer. Unfortunately it turned out quite short.

Tekirai wrote:
Tekirai wrote:I'm not that bothered by this anymore, but I wanted to kind of get my thoughts together and see what other people think

And considering I've only had two friends throughout the latter half of high school, I seriously doubt I'll "move onto other people". This is why it probably seems like TYPICAL DRAMA LOLOL to everyone else and yet pretty significant to me.

Ah, well that does complicate things. I understand now why your hung up on this

Tekirai wrote:
TheLQ wrote:You made a horrible mistake referring Momo's PM to the school. Nowhere was mentioned suicide, and depression was mentioned in past tense. So if you wanted revenge, you just did, referring her to a mental institution for "evaluation", and probably costing her parents large amounts of money. Thats such a low blow its not even funny. Don't EVER pass along such PM's unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure they are thinking such things right this very moment (and even that is debatable).

Uh... what?

You've lost me completely.

When did I ever say I told the school about this just to get my revenge or get back at this girl? What post have you been reading? Not once did I say anything about getting revenge or bitter feelings or ANYTHING of the sort. The school wouldn't send her off to an institution or anything like that - they'll just keep an eye on her. I said already that they're good with dealing with this kind of thing, without being ridiculous about it. Even then, we haven't told the school about it yet. We plan to, but now you've gotten me confused and you're making me think we're going to just make the girl's life hell.

As for the suicidal thing, she actually sent two identical messages and I pasted the one that had that particular line missing. 'I considered sucide because i was stressed and sad.' was what she said, hence... what I said in the paragraph above this. I still don't know what to think of it, but if she's depressed, we want to help her. She's not letting us do it, and I'd feel like a bit of a prick just leaving her be. :/

..and I'd think I'd have enough sense to think that maybe the PM was just a long and meaningless rant more than once. My friend and I are being careful, in case there really is something up. We're concerned, not trying to get her thrown into somewhere. I know our school won't do anything that extreme.

Lets see...

Tekirai wrote:And you might notice there's nothing about suicide in that message - I don't actually know where my friend got that from. She might have panicked, or not told me everything. Either way, we had told our mums about it the moment we got the message and read it, and they talked for a while, and I think they said they were going to let the school know about it. Even if she isn't attempting/considering it, there's definitely something wrong, and our school is very good about doing something this, be it just keeping an eye on her or whatever. I know because of something that happened to my brother a long time ago.

You don't understand what happens when telling a single person about suicidal thoughts does. I might of been a bit harsh with revenge, its more of indirect revenge. Telling one person snowballs into lots of people finding out and other things happening that you didn't think about. I've blamed many people for putting me through what they did, and an already rocky relationship with a friend doesn't net a good relationship afterwords. And when they show Momo the post, she can really narrow it down to 1-2 people.

But, meh. Do what you want.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby green » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:21 pm

I think I'm gonna have to agree and say that you should leave it alone.

From the sounds of things she's just deliberately resisting help and twisting stuff up in her head. You've tried talking to her, but if all she's seeing is you trying to inflate your ego (I know you're really not, but she seems to think so), then she won't be very receptive to ANYTHING you say to her until she can get that out of her head. Backing off for a while might help with that, but in my experience it might just be time to put it behind you regardless of anything else.

I can sympathize with the only one or two friends thing, I switched schools just before I started high school and only had one or two close friends like you said. it's only recently that I've figured out that it's not exceedingly hard to make an acquaintance you maybe don't talk to a lot into someone you can consider a friend. Granted, mine was more of a case of "He who thinks before he speaks never speaks at all" but still...

So yeah, hope I could help >>;
green offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Mewberries151 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:45 pm

TheLQ wrote:
Tekirai wrote:And you might notice there's nothing about suicide in that message - I don't actually know where my friend got that from. She might have panicked, or not told me everything. Either way, we had told our mums about it the moment we got the message and read it, and they talked for a while, and I think they said they were going to let the school know about it. Even if she isn't attempting/considering it, there's definitely something wrong, and our school is very good about doing something this, be it just keeping an eye on her or whatever. I know because of something that happened to my brother a long time ago.

You don't understand what happens when telling a single person about suicidal thoughts does. I might of been a bit harsh with revenge, its more of indirect revenge. Telling one person snowballs into lots of people finding out and other things happening that you didn't think about. I've blamed many people for putting me through what they did, and an already rocky relationship with a friend doesn't net a good relationship afterwords. And when they show Momo the post, she can really narrow it down to 1-2 people.

But, meh. Do what you want.

...What?

So...assuming she actually is suicidal, what would not telling do for her?

I'm sorry but one does not and should not "joke" with suicide. If a person is threatening suicide, even in jest, than they probably either need to seek help or at least be made to understand the fact that suicide is not something to just state lightly. There are people out there who do suffer from suicidal tendencies and are never able to find the help they need because they "don't want to be a bother".

Also, coming at this from her parent's point of view, if this was my child and she was talking about suicide (even if it turned out to be in jest), I'd seriously want to know and be able to talk to her about it.

Besides, are any of us here psychologists or counselors capable of analyzing, understanding, and helping student's deal with suicide? I think it's best to let the professionals handle a case like this as will hopefully be found at the school Tekirai attends. It may sound unlikely but there are actually good school counselors and psychologists who aid students with suicide and self-esteem issues and they /can/ help.
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MY85 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:30 am

Maybe I'm wrong here, but most who talk about suicide actually don't do it in the end. They just want attention. People who truly kill themselves don't tell everyone about it. They just do it. Of course, don't take what I am saying for granted.
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby Tekirai » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:08 pm

Yeah, these were the kinds of posts I was hoping for, guys. I appreciate it, especially teapot's. I know I should probably leave the thing alone, but regardless of what she said, I'm still worried about her and I want to help her out, because I was lucky enough to go through some pretty bad stuff (to me, anyway - it probably would seem minor to many) and not end up depressed about it. Even if she wants nothing to do with us anymore. It's just the kind of person I am. 8/ I'd feel pretty crap just pretending nothing happened.

And... TheLQ still seems convinced that this is going to be a big thing, and going by your second post, I think I can understand why. It's not going to be. I kind of tried to implied that I've seen/had this sort of thing happen before to someone I know and it's what the school did without explaining too much. Since it's... not really relevant.

Mew's post is the kind of attitude I want to keep - I'm concerned about her, but letting everyone and their mother know about this seems like an iffy idea. The girl's parents are a bit odd, and the dad is a bit scary. It's why I thought the school would be better at handling this than a bunch of kids or outraged parents. I doubt they'll bring in a team of psychiatrists or anything (since Momo is very manipulative of people's feelings, and counselling doesn't seem to work on her, as a not particularly good teacher signed her up for sessions for another reason entirely).

MY85 wrote:Maybe I'm wrong here, but most who talk about suicide actually don't do it in the end. They just want attention. People who truly kill themselves don't tell everyone about it. They just do it.

Honestly, I probably should have put more emphasis on the fact that I don't think she's serious about the suicide contemplation, either. I just don't want to sound ignorant about it...
Tekirai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby green » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:14 pm

Tekirai wrote:Yeah, these were the kinds of posts I was hoping for, guys. I appreciate it, especially teapot's. I know I should probably leave the thing alone, but regardless of what she said, I'm still worried about her and I want to help her out, because I was lucky enough to go through some pretty bad stuff (to me, anyway - it probably would seem minor to many) and not end up depressed about it. Even if she wants nothing to do with us anymore. It's just the kind of person I am. 8/ I'd feel pretty crap just pretending nothing happened.

I understand. Things like this would be so much easier if everyone knew what the other was thinking, but real life doesn't work like that :(

Pretending nothing is happening would probably be just as bad as being overbearingly concerned. Leaving her alone to sort out her thoughts can do a world of difference though too. There's no telling if or when that will happen, but if she really still wants to be friends afterward, she'll probably come to you on her own.

Also I might be missing something amongst all the teal deer, but what does she want you to apologize for exactly?
green offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Tekirai » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:13 pm

teapot wrote:Also I might be missing something amongst all the teal deer, but what does she want you to apologize for exactly?

I don't even know, lol. She also mentioned us "not being any help on results day", when she just ignored us whenever we tried to talk to her. It's a bit ??????

Basically there are so many things that don't make sense, I'm not that worried about the majority of what she's said. I'm not saying I want to go OMG SAVE HER!!1one or anything - just even make her feel better about herself, or something. Like I always tried to do.
Tekirai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby jym1 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:40 pm

MY85 wrote:Maybe I'm wrong here, but most who talk about suicide actually don't do it in the end. They just want attention. People who truly kill themselves don't tell everyone about it. They just do it. Of course, don't take what I am saying for granted.

actually, someone who is considering suicide will often talk about it/say something in a sort of plea for help. Of course they don't realize it, and so it comes out it strange and hard to understand ways. I think what your referring to are self mutilators who generally hide the cuts/burns/bruises they give themselves. But if Tekirais' parents, who presumably know this girl [Momo] (long time friends of their daughter, they must have met her before), and they think it's worth telling the school, then I fully support that. It's always better safe than sorry, and suicide is not something to take chances with.

And Tekirai, I know this sounds incredibly cliche, but I'm sure that all the fun times you spent together weren't a lie. It's hard to hang out with people you truly hate, especially if you have a choice in the matter.

my gut reaction is to say that as a friend, you should continue to be available to her in case she does decide to patch things up eventually.
I've known all sorts of people...from those who can hold a grudge for no more than a day or two, to an aunt who for some reason to this day goes out of her way to never utter a word to me, or look in my direction since I was born. So who's to say, but you never know.
She really could be going through a tough time, and out of pure anger, and not knowing who to blame she just pinned it on you. Don't beat yourself up
jym1 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid