Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:54 pm

Well, now I know what it's like to be poor.

Life sucks. Tell us about your problems and maybe we can help. =)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Well, now I know what it's like to be poor.

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:14 pm

I rant a lot, but this time, it's about something real: my family is out of money, and running out of food. The rent for my old apartment was getting too high, so I moved back in with my folks, because I've got nowhere else to go. And guess what? They're completely out of money-I mean literally totally broke-until next week. And we're scarce on food. Me, my mom, dad, sister, and nephew, and barely enough groceries to keep us fed. I'm finally starting to appreciate what growing up with a middle class, finacially stable family was like. We've hardly got anything left. By this coming Tuesday, we'll probably be living on scraps of bread and water. I don't have a job, because I was fired from my old one during a purge of expendable employees, and my dad doesn't get paid until Friday. I'm already skipping dinner so there'll be more food for everyone else. I can't believe that I was ranting about DeviantArt just days ago. I'd laugh at myself, only it's not funny. At all. Wish us luck.
Hey Rambo, throw me a shotgun!

Vodka's Vengeance offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby jakarooni » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:21 pm

Good luck I wish I could help but there's nothing I can do. Keep on living and I'm praying for you.

jakarooni offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby SilverPrince » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:25 pm

I wish you much luck. Are there any charitable organizations in your area that distribute food?

Stonecreek wrote:I miss the boob bots. At least they were peddling something I have interest in...
SilverPrince offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Carth » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:34 pm

Yes! Definitely investigate SilverPrince's suggestion- there are many organizations around the country that help in these sorts of situations, and as it is a concern for your family's health, I would make it a priority rather than wait in silence.

In any case, I do wish you and your family luck in recovery and survival! Give them all hugs for me - and definitely hugs in general. As idealistic an idea as this is, food sustains the body, but love sustains sanity.

Here, you can have one too. *hug*
Carth offline

Postby matsumo itsu » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:07 pm

If anything sell the electronic device, be enough to at the very bare minimum get some bread and water bottles

matsumo itsu offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:46 pm

Dude, that's rough. Hope that you can make it through.

Like SP said, any charity organizations around that can help you get through these times?
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:59 pm

TheLordOfAppleFreaks wrote:Dude, that's rough. Hope that you can make it through.

Like SP said, any charity organizations around that can help you get through these times?

The church my mom goes to gives away food, mostly to poor people, on Sundays so I guess we'll take that. I know what it's like to swallow your pride now too. But hey, I'm willing to swallow my pride if it means swallowing food.

Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby TheLQ » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:14 pm

Is anyone working or on unemployment? Even on unemployment, it still gives enough money for food.

You have to think long term though. Have your family walk around asking anybody for a job. I mean everyone. Apply for as many places as you can. If 2 people wish to hire you, pass on the name of your parents.

And also cut expenditures. Cell phone's are very expensive, and a land line works well. Internet just needs to go, there are many public libraries to get your LF, youtube, or Facebook fix. TV packages can be cut entirley or curved. Be paranoid with lights and water. Unplug any electronic device when not in use (9 watt draw times many devices adds up over time).

Its going to suck, but you just got to pick your feet up. My mom (single parent) was on unemployment for 8 months, and it was scary watching all the food slowly disappear. But with a very active search for job's and smart usage of resources, there will still be money for food.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby . » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:00 am

Okay not for nothing, but you shouldn't feel like a fool for ranting about something that was bothering you just because your situation now is more serious. Fact is, somebody always will have it worse then you, that doesn't make your feelings selfish or any less valid.

Nothing you can do for some quick cash? Sell some shit maybe?
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:04 pm

D.T. Evolution wrote:Nothing you can do for some quick cash? Sell some shit maybe?

Well, yeah there is. My dad sold his NCIS DVD collection, and we made 90 bucks off of that. So the situation isn't as hopeless as we thought.

Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Carth » Thu May 06, 2010 8:08 pm

How are you guys doing? Are things going a little better for you now that I assume there's some money circulating?
Carth offline