Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:32 pm

There should be a new rule about joining DeviantArt...

Life sucks. Tell us about your problems and maybe we can help. =)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

There should be a new rule about joining DeviantArt...

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:18 pm

And that is, if you're going to join, you'd better start posting some art. I'm not complaining about 14 year old kids who trace pictures of Sonic the Hedgehog and submit it every five seconds... I'm refering to people who join DA only to add stuff as their favorites and comment on other peoples' pages. I've seen tons of DA watchers and subscribers who don't even have their own content. They literally registered for the sole purpose of adding "Sonic and Amy fanart #67" or "Chibi Zelda slaps Chibi Link" or annoying over-dramatic Naruto fanart to their favorites. They should have some kind of policy where if you don't submit any material of your own within a certain limit (let's say a week or two), you lose your account. Seriously.

DeviantArt is NOT Myspace or Facebook. It isn't some place for anyone to make a profile to chat and meet with people. Last I gathered, it's reserved for artists to showcase their work and get tips from people who do likewise.

(On an unrelated note, I've realized I complain to you people a lot. Thanks, guys. It feels good to get this stuff off my chest.)
Hey Rambo, throw me a shotgun!

Vodka's Vengeance offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby desincarnation » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:49 pm

I'm not complaining about 14 year old kids who trace pictures of Sonic the Hedgehog and submit it every five seconds...

Seeing the title of the thread, I actually expected that... Deviantart turns slowly into DeviantSpace, and I see no chance for this trend to be reversed. It would've required a sort of quality check, which would be veery unpopular. :whatever:

Back on actual topic...
I think that you don't have to make art to appreciate it. It's all about quality. If one has good taste in art and leaves comments or critiques that help the artist improve, then I think it's OK. Unfortunately, there are many who throw comments like "woot awsome!!oneone" or sort, then I'd rather they didn't comment at all.
desincarnation offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby Phoenix Wolf » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:46 pm

I see well as one who doesn't draw to submit art... I must agree you don't have to submit art to appreciate it... Art can be music, poetry, photography... Some people aren't very good at art so do you just discrminate against them because they can't draw or are not artists Vodka? I enjoy looking at all the artists that are better then I who can only make a stick figure... Yes I have posted photographs and poetry... I am just saying maybe to you some of the tracings may not be art but to someone else they might be and the kids who post them are very proud of what they have done and want to share it with others..

I do not want to make waves here... And I might have misunderstood what you say... Or this answer is not what you are looking for... But I think everyone has different definitions of art and you must look at the whole picture...
Where Reality Ends and Virtuality Begins!!!
Catch Ya On The Flipside!!
Phoenix Wolf offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Location: Searching for LadyLucy....Happy to be recovered from anxiey...

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:49 pm

Virtual Princess wrote:I see well as one who doesn't draw to submit art... I must agree you don't have to submit art to appreciate it... Art can be music, poetry, photography... Some people aren't very good at art so do you just discrminate against them because they can't draw or are not artists Vodka? I enjoy looking at all the artists that are better then I who can only make a stick figure... Yes I have posted photographs and poetry... I am just saying maybe to you some of the tracings may not be art but to someone else they might be and the kids who post them are very proud of what they have done and want to share it with others..

I do not want to make waves here... And I might have misunderstood what you say... Or this answer is not what you are looking for... But I think everyone has different definitions of art and you must look at the whole picture...

What I really mean is, don't join a site if you don't have anything to contribute to it. I think it's great that they appreciate the art. I just don't see why they have to join the site itself so they can add it to a favorites list, when all they have to do is visit the site and look it up. Maybe it just boils down to being too lazy to do that. I don't discriminate against them because they possibly can't draw. When did I say they don't post art because they're crappy at art?
Last edited by Vodka's Vengeance on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby matsumo itsu » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:55 pm

I believe you can also comment on peoples art if you have an account, and plus if you find a picture sent by a friend and it's on page 100 but you're not sure on the exact page like it's a weird number like 159 or something and don't want to search through all of the art.

matsumo itsu offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:58 pm

Resistance Kewong Pizayu wrote:I believe you can also comment on peoples art if you have an account, and plus if you find a picture sent by a friend and it's on page 100 but you're not sure on the exact page like it's a weird number like 159 or something and don't want to search through all of the art.

Or you could just ask the friend to send you a link. But you did get me on the comments thing. Then again, getting an in-depth critisism of your art by someone who doesn't post art themselves would be a little odd.

Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby TheLQ » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:04 pm

But what if you want to keep up with an artist? Currently there is no way to have a personal watch list without joining.

And this is a problem on alot of sites. People join just to comment and fav people. ANY site. Youtube, Facebook, Myspace, etc.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Phoenix Wolf » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:09 pm

I agree with you there... I have noticed it on almost all the sites I've been too... I must admit I am guilty of not posting anything on my youtube account...
Phoenix Wolf offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Stonecreek » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:14 pm

I am on DA (just recently joined), and it is not worth posting anything there. Firstly, I don't draw art; I write it. So no one would play attention to what I would post. Secondly, there is so much that gets posted, with no categorization beyond what medium your work is in, that everything gets lost in the shuffle. I am on DA simply to keep tabs on my friends creative output. If the site improves, maybe I'll post my fanfiction there, or maybe my poetry. But not now.

YDV wrote:Well you see, the amount of time we didn't normally hang around BKO is kind of like potential energy, and then when we all finally came back at the same time it's like letting loose a catapult. 8D

It's all very scientifical. |D

Ah, memories...
http://z10.invisionfree.com/Anime_and_M ... hp?act=idx
Stonecreek offline

Re: There should be a new rule about joining DeviantArt...

Postby Tekirai » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:39 pm

Vodka's Vengeance wrote:They should have some kind of policy where if you don't submit any material of your own within a certain limit (let's say a week or two), you lose your account. Seriously.

Knowing very well myself, it isn't that easy for everyone to be original at first. If it weren't for my complete love for fanfiction of any sort (even the bad stuff, it's loltastically bad!) then I would barely have any writing ability at all. Having been reading it for a good few years now, I've come up with an original series with an original cast, thanks to the experiences I've had with reading. Art is the exactly the same. I wouldn't be so quick to bash people who are like that, because some end up being a lot better than you think...

It also isn't very hard to avoid this kind of thing. It seems difficult to find Sonic fanart etc. whenever you're... not actually looking for it. Unless you have friends who like it. 8\) In which case, keep an open mind... I have a good friend who likes Twilight. That doesn't need explaining.

DeviantArt is NOT Myspace or Facebook. It isn't some place for anyone to make a profile to chat and meet with people. Last I gathered, it's reserved for artists to showcase their work and get tips from people who do likewise.

Everything on the internet is a community. Facebook is a community. Forums are communities. FF.net is a community. DA is a gigantic community. If you're looking for a site that has little to no social attributes... well, good luck there.

Telling people they shouldn't 'chat and meet with people' somewhere on the internet is pretty redundant, especially considering what you can find on DA. Lots of people do fanart and can make friends through finding others who like the same stuff. It's not as if people join it for the sole purpose of making friends - it's just something that happens along the way. You'd need to look elsewhere if you want a site that gives serious criticism for art and nothing else. Heck, doesn't DA have an option so that you ask for it when you upload something? :/ Anybody who wants to use that can do just that.

Then again, getting an in-depth critisism of your art by someone who doesn't post art themselves would be a little odd.

Not really. I draw a lot, but don't post any of my art. ...mainly because I have no means to do it. I can judge a piece of art well enough, since I'm an artist myself. Although I feel more strongly about writing in that aspect, having been reading all my life and barely posting anything I've written myself.

tl;dr it's a little pointless to rant about this, because it's something the internet 'suffers from' entirely. But Rant is Rant. Best thing to do, if it bothers you to much, is just to ignore all of it. Much nicer.
Tekirai offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby matsumo itsu » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:49 pm

Like I think someone said earlier who ever it was (credit to that person for this since I think I'm going to quote them more or less) Not everyone can draw but there are some people who can pick out pieces of art really well, this kid in my art class, not the best, close to the worst(fighting for the worst was me and him) but he could see things in art much quicker and easier than anyone I know. Including the best drawer in our class.

matsumo itsu offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby desincarnation » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:57 am

I must admit I am guilty of not posting anything on my youtube account...

So am I. Should we be kicked off Youtube then?

I am on DA (just recently joined), and it is not worth posting anything there. Firstly, I don't draw art; I write it. So no one would play attention to what I would post.

Butbut isn't literature art, too? Literature section on DA is huuge. However yeah, FF.net has way better categorization system.

Knowing very well myself, it isn't that easy for everyone to be original at first. If it weren't for my complete love for fanfiction of any sort (even the bad stuff, it's loltastically bad!) then I would barely have any writing ability at all. Having been reading it for a good few years now, I've come up with an original series with an original cast, thanks to the experiences I've had with reading. Art is the exactly the same. I wouldn't be so quick to bash people who are like that, because some end up being a lot better than you think...

Agreed, as I underwent the same process:). Collecting art that you like eventually encourages to create something on your own. It's not a rule, but it happens.
Last edited by desincarnation on Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desincarnation offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:35 am

desincarnation wrote:

So do I. Should we be kicked off Youtube then?

Oh for the love of God. Let's stay on the subject of DeviantArt please. Don't turn this into "Oh, I don't post/regulary contribute on *insert website here*. Should my account be deleted from there too?"

Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Mewberries151 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:49 am

Vodka's Vengeance wrote:
desincarnation wrote:

So do I. Should we be kicked off Youtube then?

Oh for the love of God. Let's stay on the subject of DeviantArt please. Don't turn this into "Oh, I don't post/regulary contribute on *insert website here*. Should my account be deleted from there too?"

Except that it's a valid point in regards to DeviantArt.

Why make a time limit like that? Not only does it hurt artists who need to go on "hiatus" for either RL or creative reasons (or both), but what do you consider a valid "submission". Any submission? Only Art? There's more than one outlet of art as other people have pointed out to you.

I don't see why DeviantArt can't be for both people who want to post art as well as those who would like to appreciate it and/or critique it.

Besides, several of those "Favorites Spammers" are spambots anyway, I believe, so what's the point?

I can understand your frustration but honestly, it's not that big a deal in the larger scheme of annoyances at DA.
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Taelia » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:58 am

I fave a lot of people's art. Does that make me a bad person?
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby matsumo itsu » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:03 pm

From what I hear there is hidden art as in unless you are a member then you can't see it.

matsumo itsu offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Resistance Kewong Pizayu wrote:From what I hear there is hidden art as in unless you are a member then you can't see it.

They have a filter in case the image is suggestive or something. You know, now that I think about it, joining just so you can see more naughty pictures is a good enough reason. Thus, I have just rendered the whole idea of this thread meaningless. But I still think joining yet not really doing anything is stupid. I mean, uploading a picture of a rock would be better than just doing nothing.

Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:35 pm

Well, Iunno. The problem is, if you start making people upload art, then you start having to judge quality and technical skill and everything else. There are plenty of people who want to enjoy art or talk about art, which is also a function of dArt. It' just a place for art people to go, and the biggest feature is the ability to put your own stuff up there. Butmif there were no way to network, there'd be no way to move around the site. Profiles could be filled with art from the reanimated DaVinci, and no one would have a way to access his stuff.

Think of it this way... if the people who designed the site wanted everyone to upload art only, and not comment or fave or post, those features wouldn't be implemented.

What I fin annoying is when people upload virtually the same stuff, with no changed or minute differences in detail. Not just color-flooding an image, but posting ALL the photos in a photo shoot with little tiny changes in positioning or framing. URGH! Put something nice and meaningful for your audience!

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby MY85 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:38 pm

Vodka's Vengeance wrote:You know, now that I think about it, joining just so you can see more naughty pictures is a good enough reason. Thus, I have just rendered the whole idea of this thread meaningless.
I lol'd. XD
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby . » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:23 pm

I'm going to sign up for DA and then not even use it. How do you like that?
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:27 pm

D.T. Evolution wrote:I'm going to sign up for DA and then not even use it. How do you like that?

I'll break all your windows and steal all your video games, hack into your bank account and send you into financial ruin, rappel through your shattered window, scissor kick you in the throat, then kill you with a samurai sword. Then take a picture of it and upload it onto your DA account, with me striking an epic pose over your lifeless body. Then put a caption that says "Upload some art.... Or we'll find you."

Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Phoenix Wolf » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:37 pm

I understand your point, but you are making a bigger deal of this then it needs to be...
Phoenix Wolf offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:44 pm

Virtual Princess wrote:I understand your point, but you are making a bigger deal of this then it needs to be...

What, you mean my method of punishing people for not posting art? I think decapitation with a samurai sword isn't unreasonable. And yet you accuse me of making this a bigger deal than it needs to be. Preposterous.

Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby green » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Vodka's Vengeance wrote:
D.T. Evolution wrote:I'm going to sign up for DA and then not even use it. How do you like that?

I'll break all your windows and steal all your video games, hack into your bank account and send you into financial ruin, rappel through your shattered window, scissor kick you in the throat, then kill you with a samurai sword. Then take a picture of it and upload it onto your DA account, with me striking an epic pose over your lifeless body. Then put a caption that says "Upload some art.... Or we'll find you."

You forgot the part about charging in on an ostrich XD

Seriously, compared to some of the other gripes about DA this isn't too big of a deal.
green offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby . » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:01 am

Vodka's Vengeance wrote:

You know what? Now I'm make two accounts, and their going to be cool user names too, just so no one else can have them.
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Next