Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:04 am

Sleep talking

Life sucks. Tell us about your problems and maybe we can help. =)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Sleep talking

Postby matsumo itsu » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:03 pm

Hi I've found out I am a sleep talker. It annoys me since A) It keep my sister up since her room is next to mine and B) since I might say something I'll regret like how my sister angers me or how I hate one of my friends. Reason "B" worries me is my sister might tell my friends since she even said she might listen in one day. Any idea on how to stop sleep talking.

matsumo itsu offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Taelia » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Sleeptalking just happens, honey.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheLQ » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:01 am

I doubt there is a way to stop it. Its just what people do when there sleeping. Don't worry about it.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby matsumo itsu » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:35 pm

it isn't a one time thing, it's like every night. I heard there were ways but none have worked.

matsumo itsu offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Slayer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:55 pm

I have one idea but i don't know if it will work, sleep with a sock or something like it in your mouth.

There will be no mercy, only slain bodies and taken souls. Dont be afraid, be terrified.
Slayer offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby desincarnation » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:31 pm

@up: I bet the sock thing is some kind of joke. :|
As far as I know, sleep talking occurs when you dream that you actually talk. Therefore the only solution would be to stop having dreams. But how to accomplish that... don't ask me.
desincarnation offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby matsumo itsu » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:43 pm

Another thing is I don't dream. So that option is out, I hope that was a joke cause I'm not going to try it.

matsumo itsu offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby desincarnation » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:11 pm

Another thing is I don't dream.

Maybe... or probably you just don't remember your dreams. Which doesn't mean you don't dream at all. You just aren't aware of it.
Just throwing an idea now... cover the bedroom's walls with a sound-absorbing material so that it isolates the room acoustically form the rest of your house. But I assume you wouldn't like to turn your room into a recording studio. ;)
desincarnation offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby Mewberries151 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:39 pm

Sleep-talking is technically a sleep disorder, caused by disturbances in one of the four stages of sleep.

Other than medication, which I would recommend only as a last resort, I would suggest you try adjusting your sleep routine so that you practice better "sleep hygiene" as it is called. This includes:

- Keep a regular schedule that includes bedtimes and waking times that are as consistent as possible.

- Avoid eating or drinking a lot just before going to bed.

- If you smoke or drink a lot of coffee/caffeinated beverages, limit your consumption during the day.

- Exercise regularly

- Make sure that your bedroom is at a comfortable temperature and light level for you.

- Don't nap during the day if you can help it.

- Make your bed as comfortable as possible to promote better sleep.

- Create a "going-to-bed" routine that will relax you, like reading, watching calming television, etc.

- Don't lie in bed awake for more than 30 minutes if you're disturbed from sleep. Get up and do something until you feel sleepy again.

- Don't push yourself to stay awake beyond when you start to feel sleepy.

I would give this sort of regimen a try. Do as many of these as you possibly can...not just the ones you "feel" like doing or the ones that are "easy" to do and keep at them. See if your sleep-talking doesn't go away with your improved sleep habits after awhile.
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jakarooni » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:53 pm

While we are on this topic I kick in my sleep and once I was at a hotel with my mom with only one bed and I gave her a bruise. Do you have any suggestions on that.

jakarooni offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby TheLQ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:21 am

jakarooni wrote:While we are on this topic I kick in my sleep and once I was at a hotel with my mom with only one bed and I gave her a bruise. Do you have any suggestions on that.

Usually happens when you get scared in your dream. Since its related to dreams, you can't do anything about it.

What I'm wondering through is why people are asking people around 20 for medical advice... Surly your parents or your health teacher at school would be a better place to solicit advice?
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Slayer » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:53 am

desincarnation wrote:@up: I bet the sock thing is some kind of joke. :|

no it was acctuly a suggestion.

Have you tried sound proofing your room?

There will be no mercy, only slain bodies and taken souls. Dont be afraid, be terrified.
Slayer offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby . » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:38 am

kewong pizayu wrote:Another thing is I don't dream. So that option is out, I hope that was a joke cause I'm not going to try it.

Actually they find you people always dream. THe only thing is that most of the time we forget our dreams because they're not important.

However those same people say that our dreams are just random synapses firing but I don't believe that since all my dreams are based around my Elementry school days for some reason.
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheLQ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:15 am

D.T. Evolution wrote:
kewong pizayu wrote:Another thing is I don't dream. So that option is out, I hope that was a joke cause I'm not going to try it.

Actually they find you people always dream. THe only thing is that most of the time we forget our dreams because they're not important.

However those same people say that our dreams are just random synapses firing but I don't believe that since all my dreams are based around my Elementry school days for some reason.

Yea I don't think that random occurrences could make perfect war stories...
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby emoBillâ„¢ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:05 pm

I don't know how you would stop it. I don't think you can.
But if it makes you feel better [which it probably won't], I sing in my sleep. In German and Russian.
My sister cracks up at it xD
___________________Image
emoBillâ„¢ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Vodka's Vengeance » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:55 pm

Just tell your relatives to wear earplugs.
Hey Rambo, throw me a shotgun!

Vodka's Vengeance offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Mewberries151 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:42 pm

D.T. Evolution wrote:

Actually, that's only one theory as to what dreams are and it's not the most popular or the "correct" one. (Not that any one theory can be "correct" persay.)

Another theory about dreams believes that they are a way of processing information collected during the day. Yet another theory thinks our dreams may be an evolutionary mechanism that helps us work out survival scenarios that we may encounter in real life.

We don't know what dreams are yet or why we have them, but it is absolutely true that people dream, and usually more than once a night. And most of the dreams are not memorable. You actually will usually only remember a dream if you are awoken during that particular sleep cycle.

Lord.Quackstar wrote:What I'm wondering through is why people are asking people around 20 for medical advice... Surly your parents or your health teacher at school would be a better place to solicit advice?

What? *blinks confused* Someone in their 20s couldn't be studying something like this? Or had similar problems and are repeating what they were told to do?

I do agree, he should probably seek out a health teacher or counselor who has experience in this, but that's no reason to completely denounce any suggestions he may get here. What if someone here suggests something no one else thought of? ...Just saying, I wouldn't discourage outside help purely because they're not "professionals" or something. ^^;
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin