Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:36 am

a "what to do in this situation" question

Life sucks. Tell us about your problems and maybe we can help. =)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

a "what to do in this situation" question

Postby jym1 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:39 pm

A good friend of mine recently confided in me that a doctor had prescribed him "mood stabilization" drugs. He told me that he hadn't been taking them, and that he felt fine and he doesn't think he gets mood swings.
I know, from being his friend that he is quick to anger, some times for no apparent reason and that he can stay angry for days.
When he asked me if I thought that he needed the medication, I was put into a very difficult position.
First of all, I do think that he needs them. But I don't want to tell him because I don't think he would even listen to me, and it would probably just make him upset...so nothing gained.
on the other hand, by saying "no, I think your fine without them" then I'm contributing to the rationalization in his mind that he doesn't need it.
so what's the right thing to say?
jym1 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TheLQ » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:58 pm

By mood medication i assume anti-depressants? Well they are... interesting. And i'm going through using them right now, so I know what i'm talking about.

Anti-depressants usually take a while to kick in. Mine took 6 weeks. And you may not notice a thing at all. But its the people around you that will notice it. Your parents might notice your more social, your friends might notice you don't sulk in the corner all the time. Its a small change, but a big impact.

You also have to realize that the people that prescribed him this know what they are doing. When my... lets just say doctor... recommended me for it, I asked her alot of questions about it, because I'm the kind of person that doesn't like pills to much. But what she said made sense and she's a professional with lots of experience, so what little trust I had I gave to her.

You should try and persuade him to take them for his own good. Tell him that while he might not notice a difference, everyone around him will. Tell him that if he doesn't worse things could be in for him (behavior hospital, cop troubles, etc). And that it will take a long time. If he still doesn't listen to you make his parents aware. Its for his own good.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby mcrlvr394 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:04 pm

You have to think of what will be better for your friend. Anti-depressents could really help him, as well as helping your friendship. If this would really help him, then you should tell him. He can get over his anger, but without anti-depressents he might not get over some other things.
That's just my opinion.
RIP Bobo

lovelikewoe

~formerly known as yumi_713~
mcrlvr394 offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet