Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 4:12 pm

Midterms: A teachers way of tourturing their students

Life sucks. Tell us about your problems and maybe we can help. =)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Midterms: A teachers way of tourturing their students

Postby lyokofan » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:58 pm

Title says it all, midterms are evil! and they cost 20% of our grade! I'm supposed to be studying them right now but im not :p Anyway I had my orchestra midterm today..let me say this: that woman is insane! She expected us to know how to play 5 THREE ocatave scales in the 3 weeks she's been teaching us them. (i play violin) They go all the way up the finger board, and then we had to do the arpeggios too T_T and we're gonna have to do the rest of our other subjects next week. On the bright side, we get half days off all week next week (in which we are supposed to study for the next one.....) and our last one is Wendsday.......i am gonna die T_T
lyokofan offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Darkborn » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:04 pm

Wow, You are really going to hate me right now but..at my school, This year we banned Midterms and if we have an A average in a class we won't have to take the final in that course. *hides in Anti-Hate Box*
Darkborn offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby lyokofan » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:05 pm

...i hate you....T_T why cant my school do that (jk i dont hate you lol)
lyokofan offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Little Vili » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:14 pm

Wait...mid terms in Highschool? Or is this college......I've never heard of a highschool having mid terms.
See all the action at Penny Arcade and MegaTokyo
< Avatar compliments of Linii-chan
Why you dont deserve Aelita.
Vili+Aelita= <3
Little Vili offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby lyokofan » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:16 pm

this is high school, and i thought most high schools had midterms
lyokofan offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Chad Rains » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:22 pm

ive never had midterms in HS. although final exams were pretty common in my case (our school dealt in trimesters: years split into three parts).
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Osiris » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:27 pm

just relax thats proberably the best advise i didnt study much for my exams either but i got trough itll be fine
<b>My Youtube Videos!!!</b> www.youtube.com/clagnuts
Osiris offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby kindpastor » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:27 pm

In the majority of the public school systems this is how it goes--not teach the material properly>Give a test that is way to hard, especially considering the material was not taught properly>grade the test extremelly leniantly or on a curve so the school doesn't lose its funding.
kindpastor offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby Darkborn » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:31 pm

Yea stuff like that is why my History teacher, Mr. Loporchio is publishing a book (will come out in stores this summer or next summer) Called "The Hidden Curriculum" I am so buying it lol.
Darkborn offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Chad Rains » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:33 pm

hehe. I like teachers like that who can really suprise the crap out of ya. My old English teacher, Mr. Whitacre, is both a geek and in an indie Heavy Metal band. now how weird is that?

He was a fun teacher btw. Always enjoyed his classes.
Chad Rains offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby lyokofan » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:34 pm

I am probably going to fail orchestra because of my horrible playing today..... :discontent:
lyokofan offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Osiris » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:37 pm

look on the bright side you got to be better than me
<b>My Youtube Videos!!!</b> www.youtube.com/clagnuts
Osiris offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Darkborn » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:39 pm

I haven't played my Clarinet for 3 years, so I'm really rusty (and so is my Clarinet; haven't cleaned it since I last used it ewww)
Darkborn offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Stonecreek » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:30 am

It's close to the end (or the end today, as is my case) of the semester, not the school year. Why are we discussing mid-terms instead of finals? I'd much rather rant about the load of work I got this finals week (senior level classes in college are horrible), but mid-terms are worth ranting about, too, becasue you just egtt tested over the same info again at the end of the course.
Stonecreek offline

Postby Hotaru Crowley » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:00 pm

Darkborn wrote:Wow, You are really going to hate me right now but..at my school, This year we banned Midterms and if we have an A average in a class we won't have to take the final in that course. *hides in Anti-Hate Box*

LUCKY!!!!!!! I so want a transfer!
:a2d: Hotaru :a2d:
Hotaru Crowley offline
New Kid
New Kid

Location: On the floor, for I have fallen off my chair... this could take a while

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:35 pm

I don't have to take them til next year. Well, technically it was supposed to be htis year, but It's a little confuzing because I never went into any kind of pre-k, which is a must at my school.

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby Jazzy Josh » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:34 am

we only have finals....By midterm do you mean like half of the year....cause if you don't, you're going to die

@Jazzy Josh on Twitter.
Jazzy Josh offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby 5188148 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:14 pm

Here at my MS, we're supposed to have a big grade at the end of the semester, but it's not midterms, 'cuz the school board are vicious and would do all sorts of nasty things should their kids have to do any more standardized tests than required. Regardless, we do have the CSAP, which doesn't effect our grade, it just decides whether we pass or fail :p (it really shouldn't, but if you screw it up, they might fail you out of spite).

My main issue with the CSAP is it forces teachers to stress certain things and work pointless crap into the ciriculum because that's what's on CSAP. The tests are pretty balanced, a little writing, a little math, a little spacial thinking, there's always something right up your alley, but you're still forced to learn different things better than others, which may or may not be more important. Still, this isn't the teacher's choice, really: if they had their way, we probably wouldn't do any big tests. Believe me, some of them are downright P.O.ed about it.

Luckily, we're by far the best district in our county, and will only improve now that we're only accepting kids from our area, not the, er, underpriviledged municipality to the south. We have more money in a district of 1,500 kids than Durango does with probably 10-15,000.
Get your sexy PETA banner at http://www.peta.org/mc/webAds.asp
5188148 offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:34 pm

The closest thing my school had was the new NECAP testing. One student peed his pants, another threw up, one needed counseling and psyceatric help, and another girl and I fainted.

And after that they lost half of the answer sheets.

Postby 5188148 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:30 pm

They were seriously that bad? Christ in me. Or, no offense here, had you just never taken a standardized test?

For some reason, tests never wigged me out. God, I swear teachers want you to sometimes.

"This test is 20% of your grade. Do it right or don't do it at all. If you screw up this test, you may have to redo the year, but don't worry, it's no big deal. Whatever you do, don't stress!"

I don't get it.
Get your sexy PETA banner at http://www.peta.org/mc/webAds.asp
5188148 offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:18 pm

NO! We have to take eight each year. It's just the six states of new england decided to have one more standardised test, unlike any other. Mainly because these states are just about nothing and very small, we can be considered one big state some times. Emphasis on
"New England Patriots" And why the "Boston Red Sox" is the only baseball team around. And the Celtics. And bruins. Well, the bruins are dead, but that's beside the point.

So, our school was selected to take a quick sample last year, and this year was the full test. We had to sit still for hours. All in one shot, no boks, no pencils, and we couldn't wear anything with pockets. They took away my favorite jeans and made me wear a skirt. *Shudders* And these were so brutal.

Postby KayLenny#7 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:40 am

I don't know about that. In my school, if you don't miss more than 3 days of school, you can take midterms for extra credit. :)
Formerly known as Numbuh 7

I'm out. Have fun homies.
KayLenny#7 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Blue Armor Boy » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:17 pm

Our mid-terms are in 2 weeks.
Chivalry ftw!
Blue Armor Boy offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby KayLenny#7 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:18 pm

Lol, mine are next week. But good luck. *vanishes*
Formerly known as Numbuh 7

I'm out. Have fun homies.
KayLenny#7 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Darkborn » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:22 pm

Meh, I don't have any. I should love this year to the fullest because it is my Principals final year, and then my Middle School Principal is going to come and take over. Well, that is hell right there. He wouldn't let people High-five in the hall way. Stupid Mr. Nero. Arrrg :cussout:
Darkborn offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Next