Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:59 am

question about adblock

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

question about adblock

Postby axslayer33 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:26 pm

Ok, so how do I whitelist a site to show it's ads? I hate most of them of course, but a few sites I visit use project wonderful, whose ads are actually interesting (webcomics, etc.)
axslayer33 offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Re: question about adblock

Postby TheAppleFreak » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:54 pm

There are two different types of Adblock, with different whitelisting practices. I'm gonna assume you're using Adblock (not Adblock Plus) in Chrome, which is what I'm using and have experience with.

Make sure the button is showing in your menubar (if not, go to chrome://extensions and show the button). Navigate to the site that you want to unblock, click the button, and select "Don't run ads on this domain." Refresh the page, and ads should begin showing up. Rinse, lather, and repeat on the other sites you want to unblock.

Alternatively, add Project Awesome to the filter whitelists. I don't know the syntax, but in the Custom tab in Adblock settings there's a link to a guide.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby TheLQ » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:14 pm

For completeness, in Adblock Plus in Firefox go to Tools (press alt if you've hidden the menu bar) > Adblock Plus > Disable on [domain]. You can also disable for just the current page or disable it completely.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Keith Fordson Sr. » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:14 pm

You wouldn't need ad-block if you weren't browsing such dirty websites all the time.
Keith Fordson Sr. offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby axslayer33 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:00 pm

I use it because ads are annoying, period.
axslayer33 offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Snickie » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:59 pm

I use Adblock because YouTube somehow thinks that I need to know all about how People Just LOVE Century Link Prism TV before I can watch any video.
Ever since I installed it, I no longer have urges to throw sharp objects at the computer screen or my mom's expensive glassware at the wall. :)
Also, DeviantArt has had some weird ads lately, where rolling over it makes it expand to be bigger than my screen can handle, or play obnoxious sounds (which wouldn't be obnoxious at all if I were actually interested in them).
Snickie offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby TheLQ » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:38 pm

Snickie wrote:I use Adblock because YouTube somehow thinks that I need to know all about how People Just LOVE Century Link Prism TV before I can watch any video.
Ever since I installed it, I no longer have urges to throw sharp objects at the computer screen or my mom's expensive glassware at the wall. :)
Also, DeviantArt has had some weird ads lately, where rolling over it makes it expand to be bigger than my screen can handle, or play obnoxious sounds (which wouldn't be obnoxious at all if I were actually interested in them).

Its always funny to watch people use Youtube on their laptops and rage when an ad comes up. I haven't seen a youtube ad on my own comp in years
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby axslayer33 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:21 am

Da's ad department is worth crap. Intrusive ads, male enhancement ads, and at least two incidents of ads auto-running .exe files that promptly infected your computer. Did I mention the ad didn't have to be interacted with in any way?
axslayer33 offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Snickie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:27 pm

Hm. Well, I don't know what kind of stuff you look up in your free time, axslayer. But that makes me even more glad that I've installed AdBlock.
Snickie offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Postby axslayer33 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:10 am

I don't look 'em up...it's just when DA isn't showing their in-house adcast, they're showing really f***ing cheap ads sometimes.

please watch the language on the open forum ~apple
axslayer33 offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant