Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:30 pm

Considering buying a surface

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Considering buying a surface

Postby Slayer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:30 am

As the title shows, i am considering buying a Microsoft Surface. Main reason, it comes with windows 8, and when i tried 8 on a normal laptop or desktop and... well it was just pathetic. So i figured id try it on a tablet since it seems like thats the only thing it was designed for.

So now to the actual question. Has anyone here actually got one or tried one? Or even some other touch screen computer. I wanna know what people think of them and how they run, online reviews tend to vary too much.

There will be no mercy, only slain bodies and taken souls. Dont be afraid, be terrified.
Slayer offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Re: Considering buying a surface

Postby Colinahscopy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:47 pm

I have a Surface tablet at work and I would not recommend getting one. The tablet is awkwardly heavy for a tablet and the screen size is weird. The price for the Surface Pro (the one that uses Windows 8 Pro) is a bit ridiculous, with the Surface pro starting at $899. If you want a keyboard/cover, the touch cover is an extra $119 and the type cover (with a real keyboard) is $129.

If you still want a windows 8 tablet, look around at the alternatives. There are definitely better ones than the Surface and Surface Pro.
Colin K.
-------------------
Colinahscopy offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Slayer » Wed May 01, 2013 4:26 am

Colinahscopy wrote:The tablet is awkwardly heavy for a tablet and the screen size is weird

I honestly dont expect to be using it as a tablet as such, more as a touch screen laptop to keep on the desk in my room. Chances are it wont even move from there.

Colinahscopy wrote:The price for the Surface Pro (the one that uses Windows 8 Pro) is a bit ridiculous, with the Surface pro starting at $899.

I think i saw them a bit cheaper in stores here in Australia, but sadly i cant imagine a touch screen computer being much less than that in price, im more curious as to how it actually runs. Like does it crash often or anything like that?

There will be no mercy, only slain bodies and taken souls. Dont be afraid, be terrified.
Slayer offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TheLQ » Wed May 01, 2013 5:59 am

Remember the Surface Pro is trying to be a full laptop replacement. Trying to cram a laptop into a tablet form factor in a first generation device is going to be very expensive.

I'd really try the Surface out yourself in a store somewhere though. There are lots of nice features that you can only see the advantages of when using them. See how you like it and make your decision then, not just on what someone on the internet says
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Wed May 01, 2013 9:23 am

I haven't used one yet for a prolonged period of time, but there's one guy who often uses it in front of me in Math class. The 1080p IPS screen is delicious candy to me.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby LyokoMan95 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:32 am

I have the Surface RT and I use it regularly. I also have it jailbroken so I can run some extra desktop apps.
LyokoMan95 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid