Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:08 pm

Windows 8...

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Windows 8...

Postby MattM » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:10 am

I was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts on Windows 8! I personally am of very mixed fillings for this OS at this current time and want to know other things that I'm not thinking of. My biggest like AND dislike is both the same thing: the Metro interface!

UPDATE (FREE EVAL Version of RTM):
Ok, keep in mind that this is only good for 90 days before you decide to take the time, and bandwidth, to download Windows 8 RTM.
I'll remove this later on when I feel that it's not needed to play around with the RTM or I see that Microsoft has removed it from their site.

Download the Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation from MSDN for free (doesn't require a MSDN account either!)
Last edited by MattM on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MattM offline
New Kid
New Kid

Re: Windows 8...

Postby lyokotech » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:40 am

For tablets it's a great operating system! But one you are limited to a mouse you start to miss the start menu :(

lyokotech offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby TheLQ » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:54 am

Like all new changes, they will require getting used to. I know lots of people who said "XP SUCKS!" and "WINDOWS 7 SUCKS" but then they used it for a few months and were fine. Which is why I'm waiting for a bit to formulate a hard opinion

With my initial testing with the dev preview and release candidate I do worry about metro integration. There are just too many things I'm seeing with discrepancies between metro and the win7 interface. I'm also concerned about performance on mid to low range machines

If nothing else though I'll do what lots of people are doing and wait for Microsofts 2nd or 3rd attempt. That's usually when you know the product is at its best
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby MattM » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:43 pm

TheLQ wrote:Like all new changes, they will require getting used to. I know lots of people who said "XP SUCKS!" and "WINDOWS 7 SUCKS" but then they used it for a few months and were fine. Which is why I'm waiting for a bit to formulate a hard opinion

With my initial testing with the dev preview and release candidate I do worry about metro integration. There are just too many things I'm seeing with discrepancies between metro and the win7 interface. I'm also concerned about performance on mid to low range machines

If nothing else though I'll do what lots of people are doing and wait for Microsofts 2nd or 3rd attempt. That's usually when you know the product is at its best

This is very true about the 2nd and 3rd attempt and it's a rule for pretty much any tech company! I have to disagree with you on the preformance on mid range machines though, I ran it on 2 cores in VMware with ~4GB of ram and in my brief tests it seemed to be ok. Granted that's two cores of a recent high end CPU (a Phenom II X6) and an "ok" GPU. I currently have the GT 430 and am debating getting a 660 TI or 670 when I upgrade to Win 8 or Win 9...

I personally wish Microsoft all the luck that they will need with this due to the drastic changes!

MattM offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby LyokoMan95 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:36 pm

My only hope is that Microsoft enables Kinect on all Metro software (including Start)
LyokoMan95 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby MattM » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:48 pm

LyokoMan95 wrote:My only hope is that Microsoft enables Kinect on all Metro software (including Start)

Had not thought of that, but since they have a Windows SDK for Kinect it would make sense. I see it now "Windows 8: The OS You Can Touch!"

MattM offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby TheLQ » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:10 pm

MattM wrote:
TheLQ wrote:Like all new changes, they will require getting used to. I know lots of people who said "XP SUCKS!" and "WINDOWS 7 SUCKS" but then they used it for a few months and were fine. Which is why I'm waiting for a bit to formulate a hard opinion

This is very true about the 2nd and 3rd attempt and it's a rule for pretty much any tech company! I have to disagree with you on the preformance on mid range machines though, I ran it on 2 cores in VMware with ~4GB of ram and in my brief tests it seemed to be ok. Granted that's two cores of a recent high end CPU (a Phenom II X6) and an "ok" GPU. I currently have the GT 430 and am debating getting a 660 TI or 670 when I upgrade to Win 8 or Win 9...

I personally wish Microsoft all the luck that they will need with this due to the drastic changes!

Quick question, when using Win8 in VMware are metro apps like solitare a slideshow or usable? Cause in VirtualBox metro performance is terrible.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby MattM » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:20 pm

TheLQ wrote:Quick question, when using Win8 in VMware are metro apps like solitare a slideshow or usable? Cause in VirtualBox metro performance is terrible.

Sadly, I haven't used it too much in depth nor since the original dev preview. I cannot say if it has changed or not, but on my system I didn't have too horrible of lag when accessing the metro start and similar...

Also, there is a free evaluation version of Windows 8 RTM (which IS the release version) that's good for 90 days of use and I updated the original post for this.

UPDATE: I have installed Windows 8 RTM onto my PC in VMWare under a similar setup (basically the disk is a bit larger than it was last time) and it runs silky smooth in VMware Workstation 9. That's with running a ton of apps in Windows 7 and running a "Chromium Dev VM" (which is really just a Ubuntu installed dedicated to testing Chromium and attempting to get it to run on some of my hardware). Also, keep in mind that I have an AMD Phenom II x6 1055T (which is a hexacore (6 core) Phenom II CPU) and I have it set to only use two cores and 4GB of ram. I'll upload a youtube video in a few. Here is the Youtube Video. It works a lot better than that in person, however, that seems to be the best that I can capture at with Workstation's built-in capture software...
Last edited by MattM on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

MattM offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby TheAppleFreak » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:46 pm

I haven't been using the RTM builds, but on my home gaming computer I'm using the RP as my primary OS (can't get AMD's GPU drivers on my gaming laptop to work for the life of me, but that's standard for them). Metro's pretty good once you get used to it, and the behind-the-scenes changes are excellent. Especially the Task Manager; god I love the W8 version of it.

If you guys don't like Metro, Start8 is always an option.
Last edited by TheAppleFreak on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby MattM » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:51 pm

TheAppleFreak wrote:I haven't been using the RTM builds, but on my home gaming computer I'm using the RP as my primary OS (can't get AMD's GPU drivers to work for the life of me, but that's standard for them). Metro's pretty good once you get used to it, and the behind-the-scenes changes are excellent. Especially the Task Manager; god I love the W8 version of it.

If you guys don't like Metro, Start8 is always an option.

I haven't used it too hardcore. I haven't installed as a primary OS yet on any of my computers, though I may be doing it soon if I enjoy the RTM enough..

MattM offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby TheAppleFreak » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:49 pm

Bit of a bump, I know, but this is amazing (for us). Apparently, there's a bug in how Microsoft does Windows Media Center activation; if one enters a key for Media Center on KMS activated version of Windows 8, it permanently activates the entire OS (KMS essentially meaning you specify a non-Microsoft key server, which is a more difficult workaround for the rearm command). Essentially what this means is that they're giving away Windows 8 keys to everyone for free, that are 100% legitimate.

Found out about it on CNet, and I'm waiting for Microsoft to email me the key so I can test it in my VM. If this works... by god this sounds amazing.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby TheLQ » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:47 pm

TheAppleFreak wrote:Bit of a bump, I know, but this is amazing (for us). Apparently, there's a bug in how Microsoft does Windows Media Center activation; if one enters a key for Media Center on KMS activated version of Windows 8, it permanently activates the entire OS (KMS essentially meaning you specify a non-Microsoft key server, which is a more difficult workaround for the rearm command). Essentially what this means is that they're giving away Windows 8 keys to everyone for free, that are 100% legitimate.

Found out about it on CNet, and I'm waiting for Microsoft to email me the key so I can test it in my VM. If this works... by god this sounds amazing.

And... then the keys get blacklisted. Microsoft isn't going to just hand out tens of thousands of licences since every tech blog on the internert is running the story
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:02 pm

Though tens of thousands of keys were already given out. Not to mention, but I want to MyDigitalLife and found out that the exploit was discovered ~a month ago, so people have already done it. I think the reason why the tech sites were running the story was because someone posted it on /r/Windows.

In any case, I've already begun stockpiling on keys and I've written a script to do the KMS activation for me. Apparently there's a KMS server hosted at Colombia that can be connected to via the Internet.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby TheLQ » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:36 am

TheAppleFreak wrote:Though tens of thousands of keys were already given out. Not to mention, but I want to MyDigitalLife and found out that the exploit was discovered ~a month ago, so people have already done it. I think the reason why the tech sites were running the story was because someone posted it on /r/Windows.

In any case, I've already begun stockpiling on keys and I've written a script to do the KMS activation for me. Apparently there's a KMS server hosted at Colombia that can be connected to via the Internet.

Think you could send one or two my way if your stockpiling them?
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:41 am

Microsoft will still be distributing them until January 31st, after which point the keys will expire (whoops, though I wonder how license backup software will work on other machines). For now, though, you should be able to get some of them yourself.

I have roughly 15 keys in the pipeline, but for some bullish reason there's a 24-72 hour delay in key awarding. I'll pop a few keys in your direction when I get them.
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Colinahscopy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:24 am

I've partitioned my MacBook to run Windows 8 and have had it since November. So far, It works pretty good and isn't as annoying as some people say it is. I see it like this; it's essentially Windows 7 with an ugly grid start menu. I've seen my friend hack it to remove any Metro UI and put an actual Start bar back, but I haven't a clue on how to do that.
Colin K.
-------------------
Colinahscopy offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby TheLQ » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:35 am

I actually really like the stock Windows 8 UI. I've been using it for a month or two and really enjoy it. I haven't even used Linux in a while, which for me is kinda surprising.

People who complain just haven't made the connection between the metro start screen and their iPhone or Android. ITS THE SAME THING
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Keith Fordson Sr. » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:39 pm

Never before in my life have I witnessed such a beautiful interface. The colorful tiled start page, flat scroll bars & window buttons probably designed in Microsoft paint, obscure options bar, absence of the distinguishable start button, and the amazing MICROSOFT APP STORE ... All these features have united to bring forth the complete and utter destruction of the traditional desktop metaphor.

No, not even the acclaimed microsoft BOB could have reached this level of success!
The age of minimalism is upon us brethren, embrace it!
Keith Fordson Sr. offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby TheLQ » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:11 pm

Windows updates are like facebook updates: Lots of b!tching and "gimme back my old archaic interface!!!" petitions initially, then 3 months later you ask people and they say "What old interface?"
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Keith Fordson Sr. » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:09 pm

The "modern" GUI as first developed by those deviants over at Xerox is truly an abomination to behold.
The command line interface was truly superior, it had none of the annoying bells & whistles we see today.

The image below illustrates for you how confusing this "modern" GUI really is; Though I'm truly disappointed to see that Microsoft has not returned to the traditional command line interface, I must say that windows 8 is definitely a step in the right direction. I like you, am tired of all the morons on the internet bitching and moaning about Microsoft's choice to abandon the fischer-price look and feel of their Operating System.
New Kid
New Kid

Postby TheLQ » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:38 pm

Keith Fordson Sr. wrote:*The old Windows = Xerox trolling argument*

Have you even tried Windows 8? Or are you just another troll who hates Windows 8 because other people hate it? Try a stock install (no windows 7 start menu programs) for 1-2 months. Actually use it and give it a fair chance.

Then go back to Windows 7. You will immediately start noticing problems, minor features that are missing, minor bugs that weren't fixed yet. I say this because I did exactly that after trying Windows 8.

With your comments, technology improves. New form factors are created that were never even thought of in the 90s. Your argument is essentially "If it was used before, anything that is remotely similar in the future is 20 steps backwards in design." That is just wrong
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Keith Fordson Sr. » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:37 pm

Did you read what I said above? Windows 8 is amazing, truly the best interface out there. It's a tragedy to see Microsoft violate such a masterpiece by re-introducing the start button.
New Kid
New Kid