Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:10 am

A CLE Companion

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

A CLE Companion

Postby tbcr » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:52 pm

I hear that old reloader
from down the scanner room

i smell the data
i look around for you

oh my sweet, sweet sweet old someone
tumbling out that door

oh what a day
we always say

honey, we could ask for more

now that my parody of the opening to Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion is over, the main point of the post

me (with the help of some others) have created services that you the LF member (along with members of CLE and XANA's Lair) can use

these include Video Archive, Image Hosting (coming soon), FTP, Mail (pm to get an account) and more.

this will be the main topic for the service for this forum, which is mainly located at this address.

This is an unofficial addon to the Major CL forum communities as a whole and none of the related forums are responsible for this. It is created by MattM, myself, and a few others
Last edited by tbcr on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lead Developer for KadicStation 13 Branch.
tbcr offline
New Kid
New Kid

Re: A CLE Companion

Postby LyokoMan95 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:31 pm

And for competition... I just finished the beta area of XANA.uni.Me
Features: XMPP, Mail Calendar and more, and Hosting
PM me for an account.
LyokoMan95 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby tbcr » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:00 pm

>visit his site
>see phpbb3 install screen
>wat?
tbcr offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby LyokoMan95 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:39 pm

The beta area is not seen with the naked eye ;)
The public area is being worked on...
LyokoMan95 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby tbcr » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:33 pm

FTP directories have been fully added
tbcr offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby TheLQ » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:59 pm

So I guess I'm going to be that guy and ask the difficult questions

• What makes your service better than established ones like youtube and imageshack?
  • How long do you plan on hosting the content? Until the end of this year? The next 5 years?
  • How would I upload stuff to the FTP server? How do you plan to fight spam and viruses?
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby MattM » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:26 am

tbcr wrote:also note that this is a unofficial addon service to CLE, as it is not maintained by xiao or Jym. Me, MattM and others are responsible for this.

two things.... 1)I "strongly request" that you link to my profile on here so that users can PM me if they have questions or issues with the email in general since I'm the one who is doing most of the leg work on the backend parts. 2)You mentioned that it's an addon service to CLE, I would like to suggest here that you modify this post here and on any other forums that you posted to say something like "This is an unofficial addon to the Major CL forum communities as a whole and none of the related forums are responsible for this. It is created by MattM, myself, and a few others"

TheLQ wrote:So I guess I'm going to be that guy and ask the difficult questions

• What makes your service better than established ones like youtube and imageshack?
  • How long do you plan on hosting the content? Until the end of this year? The next 5 years?
  • How would I upload stuff to the FTP server? How do you plan to fight spam and viruses?

TheLQ, this isn't designed from what I understand to be "better" than any of those services. I know about the email so I'll answer that here. I personally have setup blacklists that do DNS Blacklisting (like say someone that has the IP of 10.1.1.1 (a local IP so it's not danger to anyone) and has the .com of spammers.com has been known to send a lot of spam then they should should be blocked by the mail server. In addition, we are running software on the VPS for the email that should try to catch Viruses and other malware (such as spyware and Trojans). In addition we request that any user of the email service has any issues that they notify me and/or tbcr and if possible provide logs and/or forward the email in question to us. The email forwarding and reporting suggestion should be used for hate speech, viruses, malware, spam, and other forms of unwanted internet mail or "email".

While I'm talking on this I'll try to answer another question that I feel may come up (SSL or secure connections) We are currently planning on adding "SSL Certs" to the webmail and local clients (such as Outlook and Thunderbird) that are signed by a verified CA and until that time strongly suggest against using this in public places (wifi hotspots, hotel, unsecured wifi networks) until we are able to complete this task which is planned for later in the month due to money reasons.

I appreciate the questions and ask me and tbcr more of them so that I can figure out what I need to include for an FAQ page that I'll have tbcr link to about the email.

Thank you again and hopefully this clears up your questions!

MattM offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby tbcr » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:16 pm

Update for week of October 19th, 2012

Works in Progress:

• Added imageboard for topics unsuitable for any of the CL forums. Tweaks being added for easier access for mod login, recent posts and statistical information

Coming Soon:

• net2ftp web client so guests can submit files for approval
  • XMPP Services through the Lyoko-mail service
tbcr offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby LyokoMan95 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:10 pm

Just wondering, are you running on a VPS?
LyokoMan95 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby tbcr » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:13 pm

LyokoMan95 wrote:Just wondering, are you running on a VPS?

Only mail and the XMPP service are running on a VPS. Premium web Hosting for the other services
tbcr offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby tbcr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:55 pm

We are renovating the CLE Companion site to be more efficent. This involves integrating whatever services onto the site to limit redirects. The often streamed, somewhat watched CLE Livestream is an example of this. For this purpose, we are switching to a Content Management System. We will still have the same website.

Another plus to this is that we can add more features and services. Things such as (obvious) editorials, and (fact checked and sourced) CL news articles.
tbcr offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby tbcr » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:02 pm

for the music listener, the CLEC livestream will be hosting nightly music streams from midnight to 7am* EST on the CLVeterans channel. Regualar streams will be on the CLEtest channel, orc, at 11am-4pm EST Tue and Thur

*time may vary
tbcr offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby tbcr » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:05 pm

this project is dead, but the livestreams are still active (mostly the games)
tbcr offline
New Kid
New Kid