Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 am

So, Nvidia or AMD?

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

So, Nvidia or AMD?

Postby TheAppleFreak » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:58 pm

Since apparently my computer won't be able to play Battlefield 3 on even Medium in its current state (provided the PC version is any good; I'll see about it when the open beta comes out), I'm thinking of getting a new graphics card that can handle the game a little better. I've about $300 to spend on a GPU, so really it boils down to either a 560 TI or a 6950.

My current PC specs are as follows:
Intel i7 950 at 3.06 GHz
6 GB of DDR3 RAM @1600 MHz
Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3
Nvidia GTX 460 SE (ugh)

So... any recommendations? I know it won't run BF3 at Ultra; it'll probably get by with Medium (The devs say that you'll need two 580s in SLI to run it at Ultra. If this is true, then it'll become the new Crysis).
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby Jazzy Josh » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:04 pm

I'm such an nVidia fan, so I'd say them.

However, I hear ATI's 7000 series is coming out soon. Might be worth waiting for.

Yes, I know ATI is now AMD.

@Jazzy Josh on Twitter.
Jazzy Josh offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Rail Runner » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:05 pm

Honestly, each card has its pluses and minuses. If you are looking to play games on the uber settings, go Nvidia. You pay more for the card, but the performance backs up the price.

ATI cards are good as well, but they dont perform quite as well in gaming as Nvidia. I have an ATI card, but thats because Im not a heavy gamer or anything, so the ATI card powers what I need perfectly. Either set of cards will do well in day to day stuff, interwebz, movies, whatever you do. Although the ATI cards are a little bit easier on the wallet. Its really up to you, you have to weigh the pros and cons of each and see what would be best for you.

Ant
Amtrak, its everywhere I want to be!
Rail Runner offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak