Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:54 pm

Windows 2008 server help

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Windows 2008 server help

Postby matsumo itsu » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Hey guys I'm planning on using my windows 2008 for a minecraft server( I am going to later use it for both minecraft and a home server) but I can not connect at all to the server even in my LAN. Anyone know anyway to fix this?

matsumo itsu offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Jazzy Josh » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Don't use Windows Server 2008 because it is horrible.

Can't connect to what? The minecraft server?

You probably need to open the ports.

@Jazzy Josh on Twitter.
Jazzy Josh offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Jeremified » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:26 pm

You are aware that you don't need a "server" operating system to run a server, right? You can host the Minecraft server on any computer that runs Java.
thank you all for the good memories <3
Jeremified offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheLQ » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:09 pm

Fraxtil wrote:You are aware that you don't need a "server" operating system to run a server, right? You can host the Minecraft server on any computer that runs Java.

Technical answer: Any OS will do, but headless Server OS's do it best.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby matsumo itsu » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:07 am

Yeah I figured I'd just switch but for future reference.

windows 2008 for a minecraft server( I am going to later use it for both minecraft and a home server)

matsumo itsu offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheLQ » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:01 am

matsumo itsu wrote:Yeah I figured I'd just switch but for future reference.

windows 2008 for a minecraft server( I am going to later use it for both minecraft and a home server)

Well define what your going to be putting on this "home server". I can take Windows XP, slap a Minecraft server on it, share a few folders and bam, I have a minecraft and file server. But what functions are you looking for? Backup server? Bittorrent Seedbox? HTPC (Home Theater PC)? Media Server (eg everyone's ITunes pulls and stores music on this server. Your home stereo equipment could also connect to it)?

And why did you pick Windows Server 2008? Where did you even GET Windows Server 2008?
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby xiaozanghou » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:08 am

matsumo itsu wrote:Yeah I figured I'd just switch but for future reference.

Windows Server 2008 is usually used by businesses which happen to be using MS SQL Server or other Microsoft-specific software for their users/clients. You may have encountered this already, but Server 2008 has a pretty restrictive policy because it's meant for a restrictive environment.

You're running a Minecraft or a home server with a few users, so any old box will work. I've got an HTPC/media server/torrenting and general downloading box that's accessible from anywhere with an internet connection, running off a several-year-old machine with Windows XP on it, and it still runs like a dream.
╭☆★☆
http://cl-evolved.com/
╰★☆★
xiaozanghou offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Location: they asked me where i planned to go then i pointed at the stars and said i haven't really chose