Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:14 am

Windows Updates...not working lol

For discussion of computers and the Internet, as well as a place for you to post your websites to gain more traffic.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Windows Updates...not working lol

Postby KayLenny#7 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:26 pm

So um... My laptop has Window's Vista (unfortunately). And for some reason... it refuses to install the service pack 1. I don't know why, but it has failed every time it has tried to install every time. It has already been months and I can't get it to install... it's like slowing down my laptop. Any suggestions?

Also, please only in plain English if you can, I'm not computer smart.

And does anyone know about getting something other than vista? I heard vista is slow and I really just need more speed. :\
Formerly known as Numbuh 7

I'm out. Have fun homies.
KayLenny#7 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Re: Windows Updates...not working lol

Postby TheLQ » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:41 pm

Numbuh 7 wrote:So um... My laptop has Window's Vista (unfortunately). And for some reason... it refuses to install the service pack 1. I don't know why, but it has failed every time it has tried to install every time. It has already been months and I can't get it to install... it's like slowing down my laptop. Any suggestions?

Also, please only in plain English if you can, I'm not computer smart.

And does anyone know about getting something other than vista? I heard vista is slow and I really just need more speed. :\

Sorry, but there's nothing I can go off of. What do you mean by "refuses"? Do you get an error message? Do you get a BSOD? Does you laptop punch you when install it?

If someone is to help they at least need something to go off of. This is the equivalent of "Hey, my car makes noises. Can you tell me whats wrong without me telling more?"
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby KayLenny#7 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:37 pm

Eh it punches me.

No but actually it just starts installing and then like it goes from 0% to 21% to finished. And then later when I check it out it says "FAILED". And it tries again. Every day. Every day it fails. No error message, no nothing. All other updates successfully install. I tried looking up a download online for it, but I got so confused. u.u

KayLenny#7 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Gadget » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:05 am

I have seen this issue a lot before. My suggestion is either upgrade to Windows 7 or downgrade to XP, but I assume you want a more practical answer.

Most the time that I have seen this it has been one of 3 things, A update is missing or corrupt, a program/driver is not compatible with it some how, Or your AV (Antivirus) is screwing with it. Most the time it’s the 3rd option.

Start with this and see if it works, completely uninstall your AV software (Don’t just disable it, uninstall it), and then try installing the update, after you finished installing it reinstall your AV.

Most the time that fixes it. If it’s a missing an update, then simply install all the other updates first. Then try installing it.

As for the drive/program, I think there was a tool somewhere that would tell you if your computer is compatible with SP1; I think it’s on a disk somewhere in my room. If the other 2 solutions don’t fix it, then post another message, and I will dig you up a link.
Gadget offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby KayLenny#7 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:50 am

I already did those thingies, but I would like to look into getting XP or 7. How would I go about doing that?

KayLenny#7 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheLQ » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:08 pm

Numbuh 7 wrote:I already did those thingies, but I would like to look into getting XP or 7. How would I go about doing that?

Well if you can run Vista fine then you can most likely run 7. However its a pretty involved process. The correct and stable way to do it is to back up everything (and I mean everything, including your divers), wipe the hard drive, install 7, install your programs, and restore your files. It can be tricky to do, and painful if you mess it up. This is why I always suggest finding the smartest tech friend you know and give them these instructions (this also has the side effect of shifting blame to them).

Note that I really advise against the "Upgrade" option. It can be dangerous, very important programs might/will break, and your computer will be slower. Drivers might become an issue since they were made for Vista and not 7. Sure its easier, but the consequences aren't worth it. If you want to fully enjoy 7 and not deal with crap a few years down the road, do what I said above

---

With your problem, are you sure you installed all other updates? Are you sure you uninstalled your Anti-virus? Have you restarted a few times (fixes everything in windows)?

Check here too for Updates you might of missed: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby KayLenny#7 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:42 pm

Yeah I have all the other ones. I frequently install updates, but any that require SP1 I do not have because I can't get the SP1 to work. But yes I am sure about the antivirus because I had completely deleted most of my installed programs before I did tried to get it. And then later got a new antivirus.

I'm close to giving up anyway. This laptop is pathetic. The keys are wearing away from overuse (one even has a hole in the middle thanks to my long figernails). The built in mouse malfunctions a lot and is starting to wear away as well. My display driver crashes several times a week. Frequently shuts down on its own for no apparent reason.

I take good care of it; always virus and malware scanning, frequently use a ccleaner, don't install things very often, not a lot of personal files.

If I had the money to replace this thing, I'd never look at it again.
KayLenny#7 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak